I know it's early but Next year's draft ...

MClem06

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

Anyone who has watched them play this year knows this defense still needs a significant upgrade of talent if the Bills are going to be a serious playoff competetor. Suggesting the Bills have had a decent pass rush this season is laughable. They've looked good in brief spurts (like the first half against Cincy), but have completely disappeared for long stretches as teams have marched up and down the field against them.

Since I have yet to assert the latter, can we agree the defense is neither horrendous nor decent?

I would say that their needs rank in this order. Whether they want to address them in the draft or free agency is up to them:

- Pass rusher: We need a force on the outside badly. Someone in the mold of Merriman, but younger and healthier.

- Wide Receiver: We have a very solid base with Stevie and Nelson as our core. But after that it goes steeply down hill. We need a real threat on the outside that will draw double teams. I hope we draft a guy high at this position.

- Offensive Tackle: Bell has turned out to be a pretty good starter for us. But he hasn't proven he can stay healthy for a full season. And Hairston looks like he could be a very good tackle for our team as well. Pears has done well, but the jury is still out there. If these guys all pan out, we could still use some depth here anyways.

- Cornerback: Yes, we need another guy here again. McGee appears to be approaching the end of his career, and McKelvin has been pretty inconsistent. Need high quality depth.

- Tight End: I still cringe when I think about us passing on Gronkowski in the draft a couple years ago. We could really use an athletic TE on this team. Chandler has been a pleasant surprise, but he has limited speed and athleticism. Most good teams have two solid guys at this position, and we should strongly consider it also.

What about Moats??

OMFG, our pass rush is not "horrendous."

Our sack count, yes. But when we have applied pressure, we'v gotten it. It just happened to be against quarterbacks who were shifty, tough to sack or able to make plays with guys in their face.

Look up from the stat sheet and watch a play or two from time to time.

I've watched each game twice this year. The "absence" of a pass rush has been anything but.

Were you watching Bills games?

Considering how absolutly horrendous the pass rush is even with Dareus getting good pressure up the middle and our inability to stop the run/pass on defense what positions do we draft when next year?

What position would you draft next year with the 32nd pick in the 2012 draft?

QB Ryan Tannehill. After that pretty much all D.

1. QB Ryan Tannehill 6'4" 220

2. OLB Vinny Curry 6'3" 258

3. CB Donnie Fletcher 6'1" 198

4. NT Dontari Poe 6'5" 350

4. OLB Chandler Jones 6'5" 265

5. LT Tom Compton 6'6" 321

6. DE Nicolas Jean-Baptiste 6'3" 316

7. CB Robert Blanton 6'0" 200

Considering how absolutely horrendous the pass rush is even with Dareus getting good pressure up the middle and our inability to stop the run/pass on defense what positions do we draft when next year?

What position would you draft next year with the 32nd pick in the 2012 draft?

At this point I'd settle for a Daryl Tally type who can stop the run...

I don't care what anybody says, the Bills lack a dominate pass rusher. They thought they had one in Merriman, but he ended up on IR again. The Bills have been able to get some pressure on opposing QB"s this year, just not enough to make them hurry throws or get sacks.

30th against the run, 30th against the pass but #1 in turnover ratio makes the defense bad yardage wise, but very opportunistic in taking the ball away. Both the Cincy and Giants game showed what happens when the Bills lose the turnover battle. Plus no team can depend on getting turnovers every game.

If you look at the Blitzburgh Steelers 3-4 style of defense and the way they work, is that they stop the run on first and second down and then force the offense into 3rd and long. Then in 3rd and long they come at you from any angle with any one of their star LB's, or star safeties. Can you say Troy!

The Bills can't play that style of defense because they simply can't stop the run, not on 1st down, not on 2nd down, not on any down. But It doesn't really matter because they can't stop the pass either.

I wouldn't say the defense is horrendous simply because of all those turnovers they have gotten, but at this point they are a very bad defense by giving up so many yards both on the ground and in the air. What bothers me is the past two years the Bills were in the top 5 in passing yards allowed, and now they are currently 30th. Dunno whats happened to all those CB's the Bills drafted the last 5 years, but something isn't right....coaching...scheme...something!

Hopefully we make the playoffs this year so that means we'll be picking a little bit later in the first round than we are all used to, but this is what I would like to see us do when we do get on the board. Just based off of the average "power ranking" just say we pick 24th in the draft. This is what I would like to see us do:

1. Vinny Curry / OLB / Marshall - This guy has good size, is explosive off the snap, and knows how to get to the QB. Fits the need for a pass rusher.

2. Xavier Rhodes / CB / Florida St. - He's a big, physical, and agile CB at 6'2 215lbs. He's not going to run a 4.4 forty, more like a 4.45-4.5, but this guy can cover.

3. Brandon Lindsay / OLB / Pitt - Playing defensive end now, but has the skill-set to play OLB in the 3-4.

4a. Ricky Wagner / OT / Wisconsin - Good all around OT who plays with a mean streak. Not only makes initial blocks, but gets to the 2nd level in the running game.

4b. Kendall Reyes / DE / UConn - He plays DT right now, but would be a perfect fit at DE in our 3-4. He can hold the point of attack against the run and has a solid pass rush game.

After that just going BPA depending on who is left. Heavy defense again. If the guys we got in the 2011 draft progress nicely and these guys play effective our defense will turn into a feared unit.

I like this draft and that is where I would rank our draft needs- although I would add WR to the mix

Hopefully we make the playoffs this year so that means we'll be picking a little bit later in the first round than we are all used to, but this is what I would like to see us do when we do get on the board. Just based off of the average "power ranking" just say we pick 24th in the draft. This is what I would like to see us do:

1. Vinny Curry / OLB / Marshall - This guy has good size, is explosive off the snap, and knows how to get to the QB. Fits the need for a pass rusher.

2. Xavier Rhodes / CB / Florida St. - He's a big, physical, and agile CB at 6'2 215lbs. He's not going to run a 4.4 forty, more like a 4.45-4.5, but this guy can cover.

3. Brandon Lindsay / OLB / Pitt - Playing defensive end now, but has the skill-set to play OLB in the 3-4.

4a. Ricky Wagner / OT / Wisconsin - Good all around OT who plays with a mean streak. Not only makes initial blocks, but gets to the 2nd level in the running game.

4b. Kendall Reyes / DE / UConn - He plays DT right now, but would be a perfect fit at DE in our 3-4. He can hold the point of attack against the run and has a solid pass rush game.

After that just going BPA depending on who is left. Heavy defense again. If the guys we got in the 2011 draft progress nicely and these guys play effective our defense will turn into a feared unit.

I like it a lot.Now thats a Pittsburgh kinda draft.

I read somewhere we need LT and QB were what we needed, and we haven't drafted those, so we should probably finally get one of those.

Rather than 90% D, I would settle for 100% BPA and keep injecting talent into this roster. When we have choice of similar talent players I'm definitely on the pass rush aspect, but the draft is a long time from now.

We should trade up for Justin Blackmon, dude is a BEAST!!!!! We can fill other holes in the later rounds, but think how great our offense would be if we added a super stud receiver like Blackmon. As great as Stevie is, he's just not one of those guys that can still thrive under heavy coverage like a Calvin Johnson or a Fitzgerald. With a guy like that on our roster, we'd have an offense like the 99 Rams!

Edited by cosmo

Here is what I think we need.

We need a development QB, but I don't expect this before the 3rd round, if then. You can only evaluate one QB canidate a year because there are only so many preseason game snaps a year. So its a good idea to spend a cheap low draft pick and hope to strike gold. If the brain trust things that Pigpen or Smith are better canidates that what is out ther late, then we won't do anything but pick up somebody to throw practice passes during training camp.

We have done quite well the last couple of years in finding good (not hall of fame but good) wide receivers from strange places. Not only the present crop, but even in Nix's first year. The game has changed here. There are a number of very good shutdown corners, who can take out your high draft pick star WR. We are thriving right now by putting out a bunch of good receivers, who run good schemes precisely from Gailey and who get the ball distributed well by uber-smart Fitzpatrick. They are up against the other team's backup defensive backs and get free and catch passes. The game is getting simple and this is the new wave, until teams figure out how to deal with it or the league changes the rules again. I don't see us spending anything higher than a 4th on a WR and Roscoe and maybe Easley will be back next year.

Offensive line is not going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. Believe it or not, we have adequate or good players on the line, two valid okay canidates for LOT and Pears is okay as well. Teams don't carry very many backups, so unless there is a good guy in the 4th round or later, I don't see anybody being drafted. We already have our draft pick on the o-line, the big guy named Jasper, who is getting his professional training and conditioning this year on the practice squad.

Defensive backs: We have all of our veterans healthy now and Arron Williams coming back later in the year. Maybe we pick up somebody in the 3rd to 5th round area. With the changes in the game (see NE and Buffalo offenses) you need a lot of quality DB's. I think Jaroun had his head up his kister in drafting DB's so much. Now, I think there is a valid reason because you need 4 cornerback type guys out there 75% of the time.

Where we need help is at linebacker. A big rush linebacker who can stand up on the edge as well as a solid guy in the middle to take over for the aging Barnett. Here are guys who we might take in the lower part of the first round:

Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama 6-2 265

Brandon Jenkins, 6-3, 260, Florida State (DE)

Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall Height: 6-5. Weight: 252.

Dont'a Hightower, 6-3, 260, Alabama (XKa)

I don't like drafting an Okie linebacker. That is a good college team, they run rotations and when I see two guys on one team playing next to each other and both rated high, I get suspecious. Two very good college players next to each other really falsely magnify how good the individual is. Remember us moving up to draft a defensive tackle from NC State- when the real stud was the defensive end? Remember us drafting both Coaustinu and Rudd in the first two round from Nebraska? I might look okay playing defensive tackle next to Bruce Smith.

The second round pick will be the best player available and they will take two, smaller school, fast defensive tackles in the bottom half of the draft.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan