Fitz's 2 INT's were bad mechanics, awful

zow2

Too much was made about Fitz's interceptions being "lack of" arm strength. This is BS. On the 2nd INT he was literally backpedaling and threw off his back foot. He did not set his feet at all. Terrible mechanics and the only national media person I heard point this out was Tony Dungy. It may have been b/c the Giants pass rush was in his head. On his first INT, it was not as blatant but he still did not set his feet and throw. This is stuff that is taught at the high school level. I'm sure FItz and coaches will break down his mechanics over the next 2 weeks. I suspect he will overthrow guys in the 2nd half of the season so to not let this happen again. Hope not but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great catch.

I noticed the same thing. And it's not like he was under a ton of pressure either. Just had a bad game as those are mistakes he usually doesnt make. I've seen analysts breakdown his throwing from previous victories where all mechanics were spot on.

Between where we are in developing this team into winners, and the injury bug, the Bye week couldnt have come at a better time for this team.

Fitz was pretty upset on the sideline after that throw. I know QBs are supposed to have a short memory, but he will won't be able to shake that one for a while. Difference between 4-2 & 5-1.

Yes Fitz was very upset. But he was upset after the first INT also. I am surprised/disappointed to see him do the same mistake twice in the same game. Maybe on that day he did not have the short term memory he usually does. BTW, when Fitz came to the sideline after that second INT, I saw Gailey give him an encouraging pat on his rear almost to say ' yea u screwed up but its okay'. I liked it - it is a sign that Gailey knows Fitz is motivated and he will be hard on himself so no point in rubbing it in. Gailey would probably be in his face if Fitz had an i-dont-care attitude.

I thought it was blatantly obvious that he just missed the two throws by being short five yards. It wasn't lack of arm strength at all, they weren't even long throws. He's made those passes 100x. He HAS to make that throw though, especially the second one. It's probably a game winner. He just flat blew it, and there was no reason for him to throw off his back foot on the second one. He had time, he had the guy open, maybe he just thought it was an easy score and got lazy. I have no problem with the call, and don't think it is a sign to come. he just missed the pass. Twice. Which killed us.

Yes Fitz was very upset. But he was upset after the first INT also. I am surprised/disappointed to see him do the same mistake twice in the same game. Maybe on that day he did not have the short term memory he usually does. BTW, when Fitz came to the sideline after that second INT, I saw Gailey give him an encouraging pat on his rear almost to say ' yea u screwed up but its okay'. I liked it - it is a sign that Gailey knows Fitz is motivated and he will be hard on himself so no point in rubbing it in. Gailey would probably be in his face if Fitz had an i-dont-care attitude.

He was a victim of the pass rush. First time I have seen him get rattled by pressure but lets face it the Giants were collapsing rhe pocket on every play. The pressure off the edges was intense and having a guard at LT did not help at all.

Chan did the right thing and Fitz had one more chance after the Giants FG.

Fitz has terrible mechanics but he gets away with a lot because he is smarter and has an above average arm. The only qb with worse mechanics may be Tebow. They both have a huge wind up, the only difference is Tebow couldn't manage a lemonade stand and Fitz can manage a game very well.

Fitz has terrible mechanics but he gets away with a lot because he is smarter and has an above average arm. The only qb with worse mechanics may be Tebow. They both have a huge wind up, the only difference is Tebow couldn't manage a lemonade stand and Fitz can manage a game very well.

first time i ever heard anyone say Fitz has an above average arm...going to have to disagree with that

He was a victim of the pass rush. First time I have seen him get rattled by pressure but lets face it the Giants were collapsing rhe pocket on every play. The pressure off the edges was intense and having a guard at LT did not help at all.

Hardly "every play". As a matter of fact, on at least one of the sacks, he had time to dance around and there were guys open. But for whatever reason, his head wasnt in the game as it usually is. The protection was definitely good enough to allow him to get the job done.

This is simply incorrect. Back when ESPN was falling all over us (after the Raiders and Pats games), they showed tape on Fitz and how he was delivering the ball and his mechanics were commended again and again. He was just off his game yesterday.

Hardly "every play". As a matter of fact, on at least one of the sacks, he had time to dance around and there were guys open. But for whatever reason, his head wasnt in the game as it usually is. The protection was definitely good enough to allow him to get the job done.

This is simply incorrect. Back when ESPN was falling all over us (after the Raiders and Pats games), they showed tape on Fitz and how he was delivering the ball and his mechanics were commended again and again. He was just off his game yesterday.

Yeah, sometimes guys have a bad game. It happens. Unfortunately, our team isn't quite good enough to overcome a bad Fitz game against a good opponent.

Too much was made about Fitz's interceptions being "lack of" arm strength. This is BS. On the 2nd INT he was literally backpedaling and threw off his back foot. He did not set his feet at all. Terrible mechanics and the only national media person I heard point this out was Tony Dungy. It may have been b/c the Giants pass rush was in his head. On his first INT, it was not as blatant but he still did not set his feet and throw. This is stuff that is taught at the high school level. I'm sure FItz and coaches will break down his mechanics over the next 2 weeks. I suspect he will overthrow guys in the 2nd half of the season so to not let this happen again. Hope not but I wouldn't be surprised.

Actually, I havent read anywhere where anyone was blaming it on lack of arm strenghth. Fitz doesn't have the leagues strongest arm, not even close, but neither of those interceptions were long passes. They were plain and simple poor throws, nothing else. You could say it was mechanics, which is part of throwing, so it was all in all just poor throws.

Agree with most of this, but someone like Newton even Eli would have been able to complete those passes throwing off their back foot. Fitz needs to step into his throws to get zip on the ball. The problem I saw against the Giants was that Fitz was indecisive. When he gets into a flow, he knows where he wants to go pre-snap and the ball comes out of his hands right away letting him step into his throws. Too many times on Sunday, he was getting to the line of scrimmage with less than 10 seconds on the play-clock and sometimes less than 5 seconds. It didn't give him a chance to read the defense pre-snap which is his greatest strength as a QB. Don't know what the issue was with getting the plays in on time, but it took away Fitz's greatest strength and was an issue on that last pick.

While I did not see pressure on every play, it was certainly there. But, as others have pointed out, Fitz has dealt with it in the past admirably. Maybe he had a spat with his girl, maybe he had a hangover (I am joking ofcourse) but he was off just a bit that day.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that Gailey's offense is designed to work around the shortcomings of the OL as well as Fitz. While the line has looked good, it is a bit handcuffed in not being able to have a deep passing game. This points to needs we have on the OL as well as at the WR position. We are adequate for now but to need upgrades to take that next step.

Actually, I havent read anywhere where anyone was blaming it on lack of arm strenghth. Fitz doesn't have the leagues strongest arm, not even close, but neither of those interceptions were long passes. They were plain and simple poor throws, nothing else. You could say it was mechanics, which is part of throwing, so it was all in all just poor throws.

Agree, I've not heard anyone (smart) attribute those picks to a lack of arm strength. And for good reason.

I thought it was blatantly obvious that he just missed the two throws by being short five yards. It wasn't lack of arm strength at all, they weren't even long throws. He's made those passes 100x. He HAS to make that throw though, especially the second one. It's probably a game winner. He just flat blew it, and there was no reason for him to throw off his back foot on the second one. He had time, he had the guy open, maybe he just thought it was an easy score and got lazy. I have no problem with the call, and don't think it is a sign to come. he just missed the pass. Twice. Which killed us.

I think it was a case of excitement. He did have time and Stevie was open and he new he had a big play. He just got over excited and as a result, needlessly rushed the throw. That kind of thing happens in sports all the time. I play soccer and you see guys who can hit the upper corner from 50 yards with their left foot miss an open net all the time.

first time i ever heard anyone say Fitz has an above average arm...going to have to disagree with that

I heard Belicheat describe Fitz as a "strong Arm" QB last year... It would surprise me if anyone tried to pin those two picks on arm stregnth. Guy had a bad game. Took bad sack had two understhrows and two over throws both to the sideline. Maybe the NYG field crown is different or he strguggles on the road... who knows.