Maybin has 0.5 less sacks than our entire team

deep2evans

Thank you!!

What happened was, Gailey and Nix came in...saw a guy who really had no position on their defense (for better or worse), and said "Aaron, find a way to fit on our defense or you aren't getting on the field". Maybin couldn't do it (he was a huge liability when he wasn't blitzing and when the offense ran the ball) and he was cut. And, by the way, he was cut with considerable fan fare. I know you all love Gailey, but personally, I felt it was pretty low that he called out Aaron consistently. Say what you want about the kid, but there was no evidence to suggest that he wasn't "trying".

Rex has always liked Maybin. He took a flier on him and look what he's done? He knows that Aaron is only good in certain situations. But he puts him in those situations. Oh and by the way, we are paying Maybin's salary.

If the Bills wanted to keep him on the bench all season or use him on special teams. Fine, whatever. But if you are going to cut a player AND pay his salary, you better be damn sure that he can't help your team in anyway. There is nothing crueler than watching a player on your payroll sacking your QB. I hope that doesn't happen in 2 weeks.

When he steps on the field they need to run right at him. Bills d is just not good enough to retain one dimensional players that can't even help on ST.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a joke. 99% of this board never gave the kid a chance and wanted him cut. Now that he is making some plays, hindsight is 20/20.

Personally, I was never a fan of the pick but I would have kept him this season. You never give up on young pass rushers early. But good for Maybin because he hasn't had an easiest life. I just wish more fans would have gave him a chance here.

All well and good but the irrefutable fact remains that Maybin has 3 sacks and the entire Bills team has 4 sacks. If Maybin is a piece of crap waste of space then what does that say of our entire defense? You can't look at his performance in a vacuum and NOT compare it to how our TEAM is doing.

It's just disgustingly ironic as hell that the under performing piece of junk that we got rid of has almost single handedly equaled our entire teams sack production. Make all the excuses you want. The numbers speak for themselves.

I guess the real question is "How important are sacks?"

I don't think Maybin was worth the money, and I don't think sacking the QB is the real objective of the defense. I believe that Maybin was a serious liability to the bills defense, and additionally the wrong kind of guy to have in a lockeroom filled with underpaid stars waiting to get paid.

However ironic it might turn out, getting rid of him was the right decision.

He isn't worth bickering over.

How many people bitching about Maybin being cut, want to run Drayton Florence out of town because he has been on the wrong end of some big plays?

He has 2 interception and a TD (bigger plays than sacks to me), is he a liability or are those interceptions more important?

Should the Bills have kept Maybin, but cut loose Florence?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Call me when Maybin starts playing up to his draft pick.

PTR

You see, this is the kind of complete illogical bull **** that makes me crazy.

Did Maybin draft himself that high? If not they why the hell should his draft position enter into this conversation?

If you have a problem with Maybins draft selection (and what Bills fan wouldn't), blame the Bills front office.

Edited by CodeMonkey

watched the highlights of the jets game the final drive of the game maybin looked like a pro. he looked like he was hard to block for once, blatant holding was not called.

watch from 3:15 on in the gameday two good rushes on the far side of the field

Just so I'm clear -- we've established that when a team is in an absolutely, positively must pass only mode then Aaron Maybin is potentially effective as an end rusher.

Got it.

You see, this is the kind of complete illogical bull **** that makes me crazy.

Did Maybin draft himself that high? If not they why the hell should his draft position enter into this conversation?

If you have a problem with Maybins draft selection, blame the Bills front office.

Nonetheless it does factor into the decision to dump him. Management isn't going to spend a good percentage of the total cap on a guy that is a healthy scratch most of the season. It doesn't send the right message to the team (re: Jason Peters) or the fans to pay a premium for unproductive players.

I guess the real question is "How important are sacks?"

I don't think Maybin was worth the money, and I don't think sacking the QB is the real objective of the defense. I believe that Maybin was a serious liability to the bills defense, and additionally the wrong kind of guy to have in a lockeroom filled with underpaid stars waiting to get paid.

However ironic it might turn out, getting rid of him was the right decision.

He isn't worth bickering over.

How many people bitching about Maybin being cut, want to run Drayton Florence out of town because he has been on the wrong end of some big plays?

He has 2 interception and a TD (bigger plays than sacks to me), is he a liability or are those interceptions more important?

Should the Bills have kept Maybin, but cut loose Florence?

Silly supposition that it would have come down to Maybin or Florence. I tell you who would disagree with you about sacks which are also a reflection of QB pressures, OUR DBs. They are being asked to cover too long and are getting burned. I thought it was just McKelvin that was sucking until Florence got embarrassed and torched against the Giants.

If we rushed more than 4 guys, we'd see some mismatches. But as it is, Merriman is constantly on a tackle and sometimes a tackle and a RB.

I agree we need to rush more than 4. Our low sack total and the huge amount of time the opposing QBs have to pass generally isn't working. Additionally we are still having trouble against the run so more pressure/bodies up front might do the trick. That being said they are getting it done we are not. The fact that Maybin has been a 3 sack contributor makes it that much worse.

Silly supposition that it would have come down to Maybin or Florence. I tell you who would disagree with you about sacks which are also a reflection of QB pressures, OUR DBs. They are being asked to cover too long and are getting burned. I thought it was just McKelvin that was sucking until Florence got embarrassed and torched against the Giants.

I agree we need to rush more than 4. Our low sack total and the huge amount of time the opposing QBs have to pass generally isn't working. Additionally we are still having trouble against the run so more pressure/bodies up front might do the trick. That being said they are getting it done we are not. The fact that Maybin has been a 3 sack contributor makes it that much worse.

If you watched that horrible game last night. It's clear that the Bills, are taking the same defensive philosophy as the Jags and a few other teams in the league.

Rush 4 and cover with 7, blitz when you have a free backer or Safety. The Jags were "successful" last night in that defensive Philosophy and we're generating pressure on the QB. Basically play the Nickel and Dime schemes,(maybe not the personal packages) as your base defense and mix in some in some unexpected blitzes. With the pass happy NFL, it makes sense. If you can generate pressure with your just your front four. Byrd and Scott blized a few times earlier in the season but when the opposing team goes 5 wide the Blitzes won't happen.

We're not getting consistent pressure from the front 4 and we're not blitzing as often.

The Jets take a different defensive approach. Blitz like crazy and let your corners cover. When you have the Jets DBs you can do that.

If you were to switch DB personal with the Jets and Bills the Jets would be getting eaten up on a regular basis, even if you keep their front 7 which is generating pressure.

So all that said.

Maybin's speed is shinny through on extended plays, and plays that break down. He touched a QB that ran out of bounds, he caught up with Flacco near the line of scrimmage after about 8 second on a broken play, and he got to Rivers after the receivers were covered. I don't believe this happens if he is in Bills uniform.

He is a good fit for the Jests.

Now that obviously leads to the decisions we've made in our defensive philosophy, which of course isn't proving successful, but Maybin would't fix that.

Edited by Why So Serious?

If you watched that horrible game last night. It's clear that the Bills, are taking the same defensive philosophy as the Jags and a few other teams in the league.

Rush 4 and cover with 7, blitz when you have a free backer or Safety. The Jags were "successful" last night in that defensive Philosophy and we're generating pressure on the QB. Basically play the Nickel and Dime schemes,(maybe not the personal packages) as your base defense and mix in some in some unexpected blitzes. With the pass happy NFL, it makes sense. If you can generate pressure with your just your front four. Byrd and Scott blazed a few times earlier in the season but when the opposing team goes 5 wide the Blitzes won't happen.

We're just not blitzing as often and we're not getting consistent pressure from the front 4.

The Jets take a different defensive approach. Blitz like crazy and let your corners cover. When you have the Jets DBs you can do that.

If you were to switch DB personal with the Jets and Bills the Jets would be getting eaten up on a regular basis, even if you keep their front 7 which has generating pressure.

So all that said.

Maybin's speed is shinny through on extended plays, and plays that break down. He touched a QB that ran out of bounds, he caught up with Flacco after about 8 second on a broken play, and he got to Rivers after the receivers were covered. I don't believe this happens if he is in Bills uniform.

He is a good fit for the Jests.

Now that obviously leads to the decisions we've made in our defensive philosophy, which of course isn't proving successful, but Maybin would't fix that.

I would rather see our corners try to cover man for 4 seconds than watch them break down playing zone after 6 seconds. Of course this is all predicated on additional bodies or scheming being able to speed up the rather slow running clock in our opposing QBs heads.

We are 31st in the league in defense. One thing that we can say definitely is that what we are doing is not working. Unless we go back in time and change personnel the only thing we can do is modify the scheme.

Call me when Maybin starts playing up to his draft pick.

PTR

What is with this board always whining about draft stauts? Seriously, only fans whine about draft status. Once the players are on the field it has NO relevance anymore...its about whether this player can help your football team. MOST first round picks dont live up to the hype of being a first round pick, but doesn't mean they cant help your team or dont find roles on teams.

Bottom line is that Maybin may not be living up to his "draft status", but he IS providing value to the Jets and in an area that we sorely lack. And I love how people site that he gets them in garbage time (which isn't true for all his sacks by the way) as if he is playing against backups. This isnt preseason, he was still getting those sacks against the opponents starters not to mention forcing fumbles too.

I am no Maybin defender, but the "draft status" argument has about ZERO value to any football discussion on whether a player should be on a teams roster with the ONLY exception of salary cap issues if he was a high draft pick and you need the cap room...in Maybins case, we had the cap room and are now actually paying for him to play for the Jets, so that argument also holds no merit here either.

I love the job that Chan and Nix are doing, but people have a valid concern to see a guy we just wouldn't put on the field racking up sacks and fumbles, the very thing we drafted him to get, in limited playing time on our division rivals team. Not to mention, he still is learning their scheme and did not have a full off season with them.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Coach Rex Ryan said OLB Aaron Maybin's snap count will rise going forward.

Maybin has been reborn with the Jets. Despite limited snaps, he has three sacks and three forced fumbles in four games under Ryan. "Great production," Ryan said. "We need to get him on the field more." After this week's bye, Maybin faces the Bills team that released him in August. Oct 25 - 9:13 AM

I am no Maybin defender, but the "draft status" argument has about ZERO value to any football discussion on whether a player should be on a teams roster with the ONLY exception of salary cap issues if he was a high draft pick and you need the cap room...in Maybins case, we had the cap room and are now actually paying for him to play for the Jets, so that argument also holds no merit here either.

I love the job that Chan and Nix are doing, but people have a valid concern to see a guy we just wouldn't put on the field racking up sacks and fumbles, the very thing we drafted him to get, in limited playing time on our division rivals team. Not to mention, he still is learning their scheme and did not have a full off season with them.

I have a tendency to trust Wannstedt's opinion, and he was obviously a part of the analysis as well. If I'm an OC or QB, every time I see Maybin in the game I audible to a run or screen at his side. Every time.

Coach Rex Ryan said OLB Aaron Maybin's snap count will rise going forward.

Maybin has been reborn with the Jets. Despite limited snaps, he has three sacks and three forced fumbles in four games under Ryan. "Great production," Ryan said. "We need to get him on the field more." After this week's bye, Maybin faces the Bills team that released him in August. Oct 25 - 9:13 AM

WTF??? 3 forced fumbles as well?

Good thing we never gave this guy a shot on the field. :wallbash: Fitz, as have others, has shown us that mediocre practice guys can be good gamers. Now I am doubly pissed at Maybin but also annoyed that we didn't give him time in game situations just in case.

We gave Trent Edwards, a 3rd round QB, 4 years to prove he sucked. We couldn't give Maybin 6 - 8 games?!?!!? I'm sorry to all of the reverse apologists that are trying to nit pick and down play his 3 sacks but 3 forced fumbles on top of that? Come on guys. The guy is playing some freakin' football now. This may be a quick flash in the pan but if he can sustain it....another lost opportunity for the Bills.

I have a tendency to trust Wannstedt's opinion, and he was obviously a part of the analysis as well. If I'm an OC or QB, every time I see Maybin in the game I audible to a run or screen at his side. Every time.

I never really got all the love Wannstedt gets other than its a name people know. Its not like we brought in Rex Ryan to coach our LB's or something. The guy has a defensive background and has had some success, but lets be honest, he hasn't been NFL relevant in a long time and now this ex head coach is reduced to coaching LB's to get back to the NFL level. So, for me, he has to earn that trust...and cutting a kid who quickly latches on to a division rival and is racking up sacks and forced fumbles despite having no off season to learn their system and playing just limited minutes is not helping my belief in him or Edwards.

I am quite pleased with what Chan and Nix are doing, however, I am concerned with what we are seeing out of the defense and I hope they fix it soon.

WTF??? 3 forced fumbles as well?

Good thing we never gave this guy a shot on the field. :wallbash: Fitz, as have others, has shown us that mediocre practice guys can be good gamers. Now I am doubly pissed at Maybin but also annoyed that we didn't give him time in game situations just in case.

We gave Trent Edwards, a 3rd round QB, 4 years to prove he sucked. We couldn't give Maybin 6 - 8 games?!?!!? I'm sorry to all of the reverse apologists that are trying to nit pick and down play his 3 sacks but 3 forced fumbles on top of that? Come on guys. The guy is playing some freakin' football now. This may be a quick flash in the pan but if he can sustain it....another lost opportunity for the Bills.

Agreed...I dont get how they can let someone like Trent, who plays the most important position in all of sports, have so much continuously blow before pulling the plug and yet they just refused to put Maybin in regular season games despite nabbing some sacks in preseason. So what if he is too small for every down, freaking safeties and DB's get sacks every game and they are smaller than Maybin...why we couldnt just get him in there to just straight run around people and generate some pass rush is beyond me. Even if he does get stopped before the QB, he still ties up other blockers that helps free up the rest of our guys bringing pressure too because his speed can take the blockers further out.

To just not play the kid despite a high draft pick invested and a boat load of money was just ridiculous IMO...

I was never really very high on the kid going into this year because I just had to believe if he was capable of anything than our staff would have found a way to use him...looks like another staff has found a way to get him some quality minutes, so whats that say about our staff?