Maybin has 0.5 less sacks than our entire team

deep2evans

He beat the RB for that one. Count me less than impressed.

I would be ecstatic if Merriman could beat a RB for a sack. Maybin has 3 sacks and the Buffalo Bills have 4 sacks. Draw your own conclusions but he is nearly as effective as our whole team getting to the QB. Pisses me off something fierce but it is what it is.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before or after the Bills acquire the players to properly run a 3-4?

at the same time... we are only a few pieces away. namely a OLB or 2 and either a good solid NT to eat up the middle of the line and move Williams to end or find another dominant end to put on the other side of Williams to offset Williams lack of ideal size for the position. so if we got a defensive coordinator that actually knew how to run a good 3-4 we could have a really lights out D

at the same time... we are only a few pieces away. namely a OLB or 2 and either a good solid NT to eat up the middle of the line and move Williams to end or find another dominant end to put on the other side of Williams to offset Williams lack of ideal size for the position. so if we got a defensive coordinator that actually knew how to run a good 3-4 we could have a really lights out D

I still like the idea of getting a stud NT for this defense and kicking KW out to DE. I'm not an expert but I know that some defensive coordinators like guys with height on the edge to get their hands up which Kyle doesn't have. I think Dareus and Williams unleashed would be an awesome sight if we got a real 350lb NT to hold down the middle.

Can you imagine a true modern day NFL NT that could tie up 2 blockers?!?!?!? I know! I know! Player X for team Y plays at only 310 lbs. WHO CARES!!??!? The exception is not the rule!!! Dareus and Williams could free lance and wreak havok. Rush the QB every play and tackle the RB on your way there if he has the ball. That would be SICK!!!

Regardless of any changes to defensive personnel, if you're waiting for Merriman to put the lights out we missed that boat by about 3 years.

Edited by PDaDdy

How about we just give credit where credit is due. Maybin is doing well in NY, it sucks that its with a division rival, but good for him. Its obvious he wasn't doing anything in Buffalo, he had plenty of time and opportunities to show his stuff and never did.

How about we just give credit where credit is due. Maybin is doing well in NY, it sucks that its with a division rival, but good for him. Its obvious he wasn't doing anything in Buffalo, he had plenty of time and opportunities to show his stuff and never did.

He never had an opportunity because he wasn't put into games. He wasn't even active for many of them and wasn't even used in a rotation. For what ever reasons he was not really given any significant game time to see what he could do. I know. The Jets cut him as well when it was just about practice and training camp. What the Jets figured out that WE didn't is that in the game apparently the guy CAN get to the QB if you play him. THAT is a skill we desperately need right now!

For all the talk about defense and the improvements we made we are statistically really bad. It's not the end of the world if you can slap up points like the Pats. We aren't consistent at that right now largely because our WRs are being traded away or dropping like flies due to injury.

I would be ecstatic if Merriman could beat a RB for a sack. Maybin has 3 sacks and the Buffalo Bills have 4 sacks. Draw your own conclusions but he is nearly as effective as our whole team getting to the QB. Pisses me off something fierce but it is what it is.

The other sack I saw came on a broken play where he caught Flacco from behind.

Not really the "pressure" kind of sack.

I give Maybin and Rex credit that his speed is being leverage because of great DB play. As the play breaks down because the pass is being taken away, he gets back on his feet after being blocked to the ground and can sprint faster than most people on the field to the ball.

Again, its not game changing pressure. Its flukey coverage sacks.

Once Maybin got knocked down the Bills' DBs would NOT give him enough time to get back up and contribute.

He could have 10 sacks for the Jets like that, and would have 0 sacks for the Bills like that, and everyone would spend the year bitching that we let Carrington go, to keep the waste of space Maybin and he can't even play Special Teams.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Yeah that's the only part that gives me gas too.

The other sack I saw came on a broken play where he caught Flacco from behind.

Not really the "pressure" kind of sack.

I give Maybin and Rex credit that his speed is being leverage because of great DB play. As the play breaks down because the pass is being taken away, he gets back on his feet after being blocked to the ground and can sprint faster than most people on the field to the ball.

Again, its not game changing pressure. Its flukey coverage sacks.

Once Maybin got knocked down the Bills' DBs would NOT give him enough time to get back up and contribute.

He could have 10 sacks for the Jets like that, and would have 0 sacks for the Bills like that, and everyone would spend the year bitching that we let Carrington go, to keep the waste of space Maybin and he can't even play Special Teams.

I don't know man. That is a lot of supposition to try to explain away his very real and factual performance. It's not a fluke. It is proven performance. I freakin hate how we didn't get anything out of this guy and I curse his name in large part because he wasn't Orakpo which was the obvious choice for anyone with more than a partially functioning brain stem.

Sorry to play devils advocate here but I think you are looking at it backwards. Maybe if we DID have someone like Maybin that could get to the QB our DBs wouldn't look as bad as they do. Maybe if we had a guy that could "get up off the ground" as you put it and could pressure the QB inside the 5th second then our DBs wouldn't be getting burned in the 6th, 7th and 8th seconds.

Edited by PDaDdy

He never had an opportunity because he wasn't put into games. He wasn't even active for many of them and wasn't even used in a rotation. For what ever reasons he was not really given any significant game time to see what he could do. I know. The Jets cut him as well when it was just about practice and training camp. What the Jets figured out that WE didn't is that in the game apparently the guy CAN get to the QB if you play him. THAT is a skill we desperately need right now!

For all the talk about defense and the improvements we made we are statistically really bad. It's not the end of the world if you can slap up points like the Pats. We aren't consistent at that right now largely because our WRs are being traded away or dropping like flies due to injury.

He was given every chance to succeed here as an every down player and he couldn't do it. He couldn't get into games because he couldn't do things on the practice field. He couldn't show that he could make plays on defence, and he couldn't show that he could play on special teams either

The Jets have the luxury of not needing him as an everydown player and can have a guy whos only job is to come in once in a while and just run at the QB in obvious deep passing situations. Its one of the perks that you get when you have alot of talent on your team and defence. the jets have put him in a situation where he can pick up a couple cheap stats when he gets put into a game and allow him to just be a one dimensional player.

And for those saying that he didn't want to play here, wasn't he the guy who went out right after getting drafted and had his hair cut with the Bills logo into it?

I don't know man. That is a lot of supposition to try to explain away his very real and factual performance. It's not a fluke. It is proven performance. I freakin hate how we didn't get anything out of this guy and I curse his name in large part because he wasn't Orakpo which was the obvious choice for anyone with more than a partially functioning brain stem.

Sorry to play devils advocate here but I think you are looking at it backwards. Maybe if we DID have someone like Maybin that could get to the QB our DBs wouldn't look as bad as they do. Maybe if we had a guy that could "get up off the ground" as you put it and could pressure the QB inside the 5th second then our DBs wouldn't be getting burned in the 6th, 7th and 8th seconds.

Sorry, but we have the exact same guy that you mentioned and he was completly ineffective here. HE ISN"T GETTING THE PRESSURE BECAUSE HE CAN BEAT GUYS TO THE QB QUICKLY, HE IS BEATING GUYS BECAUSE THE OFFENCE IS PROVIDING ALOT OF TIME FOR HIM TO GET TO THE QB.

Edited by apuszczalowski

When a player cannot get it done in practice, you don't put him out there during games. He has proved nothing with the Bills in training camp or preseason games. You don't get a chance on the field, if you can't get it done in practice.

It's possible that the coaching staff did not put him in position to show his stuff, but remember it was two coaching staffs. So there was obviously something wrong with him. Kudo's to Ryan who saw something in him, or maybe kudo's to Maybin for actually waking up and realizing he was very close to being out of football if not given a second chance by the Jets when they grabbed him after cutting him the first time.

I can't get upset at the Bills for letting go someone who wasn't getting it done here. Again, I wish it was with a team outside of the division, but what can you do.

Gailey is a strict system guy. He doesn't build schemes and design plays around the existing talent. Sometimes that works sometimes it doesn't. I'm afraid maybin is an example of where some flexibility would have been to the teams benefit.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Gailey is a strict system guy. He doesn't build schemes and design plays around the existing talent. Sometimes that works sometimes it doesn't. I'm afraid maybin is an example of where some flexibility would have been to the teams benefit.

I think most people here would disagree with you vehemently on the Gailey/Flexibility issue.

I've been reading all season about how he built the offense around the specific talents of his players.

Same was said about him in Kansas City, Miami, and Pittsburgh.

I think more to the point… Gailey does not coach the defense…

I think most people here would disagree with you vehemently on the Gailey/Flexibility issue.

I've been reading all season about how he built the offense around the specific talents of his players.

Same was said about him in Kansas City, Miami, and Pittsburgh.

I think more to the point… Gailey does not coach the defense…

Theyd be vehemently wrong too. It was his decision to switch to 3 4 even though we had 4 3 personell. He was publicly on maybins case. It's clear he makes personell decisions along with nix on the entire team. He let Evans get away for next to nothing not because he didn't have demonstrated skills but because he gave up on him fitting his system

This is the mindset that is so stupid.

First off, this is a message board, its where you second guess ****.

Second off, the point is why did he not work for the Bills and then work VERY well for our division rivals. He wasn't even getting put on the field by Gailey and we all said "wow, this must be because he really sucks". Well, guess what. His numbers on the Jets don't lie. I'd love to hear Gailey/Nix explain this.

They missed. Plain and simple. They missed. It happens. But its time for Bills fans to be comfortable in criticizing Nix and Gailey.

If you only look at "SACKS" 3 sack and 3 tackels in 3 games is doing "VERY" well. When he starts putting up team leading tackel numbers you can say he's doing very well...

He was given every chance to succeed here as an every down player and he couldn't do it. He couldn't get into games because he couldn't do things on the practice field. He couldn't show that he could make plays on defence, and he couldn't show that he could play on special teams either

The Jets have the luxury of not needing him as an everydown player and can have a guy whos only job is to come in once in a while and just run at the QB in obvious deep passing situations. Its one of the perks that you get when you have alot of talent on your team and defence. the jets have put him in a situation where he can pick up a couple cheap stats when he gets put into a game and allow him to just be a one dimensional player.

And for those saying that he didn't want to play here, wasn't he the guy who went out right after getting drafted and had his hair cut with the Bills logo into it?

Our statements aren't mutually exclusive. WE have both said the same thing from a different angle. Your spin is that he couldn't show his talent in practice so it's not our fault we never played him. My spin is this guy looks to be a gamer not a practice guy and we should have given him "significant" time on the field to see if he was a gamer.

If you recall our last issue with this exact setup was Trent "The con man" Edwards and Fitz. According to everyone Edwards was the man in practice and Fitz "couldn't show what he had" and never got on the field. Well lookie lookie. Fitz ended up being a gamer and Edwards was proven to be a chump.

Sorry, but we have the exact same guy that you mentioned and he was completly ineffective here. HE ISN"T GETTING THE PRESSURE BECAUSE HE CAN BEAT GUYS TO THE QB QUICKLY, HE IS BEATING GUYS BECAUSE THE OFFENCE IS PROVIDING ALOT OF TIME FOR HIM TO GET TO THE QB.

To my knowledge we don't have the exact same guy on our roster right now. What is his name? I'm not sure I understand that last "capped" sentences. Whose offense is providing a lot of time for Maybin to get to the QB? Not sure I understand. It's not like the Jets are setting the world on fire and scoring points to the point where opposing defenses become 1 dimensional.

When a player cannot get it done in practice, you don't put him out there during games. He has proved nothing with the Bills in training camp or preseason games. You don't get a chance on the field, if you can't get it done in practice.

It's possible that the coaching staff did not put him in position to show his stuff, but remember it was two coaching staffs. So there was obviously something wrong with him. Kudo's to Ryan who saw something in him, or maybe kudo's to Maybin for actually waking up and realizing he was very close to being out of football if not given a second chance by the Jets when they grabbed him after cutting him the first time.

I can't get upset at the Bills for letting go someone who wasn't getting it done here. Again, I wish it was with a team outside of the division, but what can you do.

Edwards vs Fitz tells us all we need to know about practice. Sometimes there are great practice guys and sometimes there are gamers. Ideally they are the same person but in reality not always so.

Maybin so far has been a gamer for Rex. We never took the time with our 9th overall pick in the draft to see if he just sucked in practice but was a gamer.

Even if Maybin turns into another Lil Antoine who suddenly starts to make plays once leaving town & makes the Pro Bowl, I do NOT care, I'm glad that he is GONE. :thumbsup:

Antowaine was getting it done before we let him go. He lead a Wade Phillips defense in tackles and was good at DB.