The Bills' receiving corps is a mess

If I am Chan, I bring up Aiken and cut Ruvell Martin again. We sacrifice a little on ST but we still have a bunch of good players for ST and Martin is not the key to them by any stretch. Play Aiken in some plays and packages he can be effective in, or at least do what he does best. Then fill in Jones' absence with Roosevelt, who made a couple huge plays for us. The #4 and #5 guy in the spread can be split between Aiken, Brad Smith, CJ, Freddy and Chandler.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am Chan, I bring up Aiken and cut Ruvell Martin again. We sacrifice a little on ST but we still have a bunch of good players for ST and Martin is not the key to them by any stretch. Play Aiken in some plays and packages he can be effective in, or at least do what he does best. Then fill in Jones' absence with Roosevelt, who made a couple huge plays for us. The #4 and #5 guy in the spread can be split between Aiken, Brad Smith, CJ, Freddy and Chandler.

I think Spiller is the answer. He wants to be on the feild more, has great speed, has lined up at WR this season. Nelson will also have the ability to step up w/ Jones out.

Ruvell Martin also appears to be a dreadfully bad wide receiver.

I agree completely with this take. Martin was cut previously, so he can't be THAT important to ST -- and he seems to be an absolute liability in the passing game unless I've missed something.

I think you mistakenly forgot to mention Nelson in your mix .......

I am not a huge fan of TO, but it seemed he played well here[/b],

wow! it amazes me that people think this! Did they see one game from that season? Did they see espn highlights only? TO absolutely sucked in his stint here, he dropped many passes, gave up on several more, allowed picks off balls that he didnt fight for, didnt run block well either....then caught a few deep ones and ya we won those games but not the other 10 that he helped us lose.

What about Bernard Berrian?

Tried looking up what he is getting a year. He signed a 6 year 42mil deal in 08. Seems like he is having trouble with Frazier in Minny.

Deep threat send the 4 fourth the Bills got from Baltimore for Evans to Vikes for him?

Crazy idea, right?

Worth a phone call from Buddy?

i agree with both of the above posters. this problem w/WR depth can be resolved internally for now. We have a bye week in 2 weeks and hopefully we can get some of these guys healthy. Randy Moss/T.O. talk is silly imo.

I dont think TO talk is that silly the guy can still run routes and catch over the middle. Im not saying rush to sign him but if Jones is out for a while i think its worth a look. Thats all

As silly and ridiculous as it is... TO is actually a really good fit for our current problems. He has the physical talent that this team is sorely lacking at the WR position. And surprisingly he is very well liked by current team members, plus we are doing well right now and he is a terrific front-runner

As silly and ridiculous as it is... TO is actually a really good fit for our current problems. He has the physical talent that this team is sorely lacking at the WR position. And surprisingly he is very well liked by current team members, plus we are doing well right now and he is a terrific front-runner

I mean whats it gonna hurt to have him work out and try out. he is not an average 37 year old. The guy is in tip top shape. Yes he a a surgery, so has every other player in the NFL. another deep threat that will run routes across the middle unlike moss who just runs 9 routes or the "GO route

I complained about letting Evans go when he was traded, for a fourth round draft choice. The receivers whe had at the beginning of the season really made me see that the trade made sense as there were deep threats in the youthful corps left. Injuries happen and we have enough receivers to win, although we don't have the legitimate blow your socks off deep threat. I doubt we are going to find one, unless TO is healthy and ready to play (sounds doubtful given the 911 call) I suspect our offense will just work around this problem. Teams do this all the time at some point in any given season. Sometimes its running backs, sometimes its qb's, sometimes its linebackers, but you can sure you're going to have some problem some time in the season.

Damn - they've been simply slammed by injuries. Jones is apparently going to be out for a while. When Donald Jones went down, so did the Bills' medium-deep to deep passing game. They really had no passing game to speak of late, and the underrated Bengals did a good job of shutting them down too. Gailey is going to have to be extra clever in the coming weeks because he doesn't have anyone who can regularly run by people (Johnson can do it, but only through craftiness - he's not that fast). If I'm game planning against the Bills, I'm taking out Johnson and making Roosevelt/Nelson/whatshisname beat me. The Bills will face a very stiff test next week because the Giants can move the ball very well. I know every team has injuries, but they've really piled up for the Bills in the WR corps. Can Brad Smith actually play wideout? I guess we'll find out soon enough. It may be his turn to be an every-down player ...

Can we give the 4th rounder back for Evans? He would be nice right around now...

Edited by Kipers Hair

Aikin should be promoted from the PS to just add more numbers to the WR corps. I also think that Gailey will have a gameplan around not having Jones which will give Gailey time to make adjustments taking into account the absence of Jones.

I would think that we will have a much better down field offense this week then the second half of last week. Spiller, Akin, Stevie, and Smith will be a group that has to step it up in the down field game in the absence of Jones.