We melt like ice

dayman

Patriots have done it for years...imho we are built very similarly...score lots of points, spread ball out, give up lots of yards but make plays on D when u need them...this the new NFL...look at how many 400 yard passing games there have been already...probably easily a record already for an entire season and we are only 5 weeks in. Games are being won with explosive plays and turnovers, not limiting other teams yards...racking up 400+ yards of offense is becoming commonplace when it used to be very rare...

Also keep in mind that a lot of yards that would have been kickoff return yards turning into yards for the offense because of all the TB's

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a bad defense. It has had to play against teams that are playing wide open. There are high risk/reward plays happening constantly and this defense has risen to the occasion pretty well. A bad defense doesn't come up with the turnovers that they should get when playing desperate teams. This defense does!

Good point...so I guess that 'undisciplined' is the better term because they do take chances. The paradox is that the turnovers may be a result of the chance-taking.

Good point...so I guess that 'undisciplined' is the better term because they do take chances. The paradox is that the turnovers may be a result of the chance-taking.

I don't think they are undisciplined either. I think they have had to play against teams that are playing wide open for long stretches, and any defense that has to do that is gonna give up lots of yards, but they better take advantage of the opportunities that will doubtlessly come.

We beat the struggling Eagles who are (as of now) in complete meltdown. We won by 7 after getting 5 turn overs. Last week we melted to an Cinci team who basically had a young child playing QB for the first half. What I'm saying is not that we aren't perfect, but that we are further from perfect than a good team would be. Other teams w/ our record or with good records period are playing better 60 minute football than us right now. That's what I believe. We have problems.

Ok. We aren't perfect, not even close. We could be 1-4 but we are not, we are 4-1.

I have been wacthing football a very looooonnnng time.

Take the plays when you make them. Take the wins when you get them. We have sucked for too long to worrry about sytle pionts. Lets build a winning attitude ... EXPECT to win and you will.

This years Bills are not going to steam roll to the playoffs, they will struggle to get there, they might not get there. Ok?

You can enjoy the wins or not. Your choice.

Ok. We aren't perfect, not even close. We could be 1-4 but we are not, we are 4-1.

I have been wacthing football a very looooonnnng time.

Take the plays when you make them. Take the wins when you get them. We have sucked for too long to worrry about sytle pionts. Lets build a winning attitude ... EXPECT to win and you will.

This years Bills are not going to steam roll to the playoffs, they will struggle to get there, they might not get there. Ok?

You can enjoy the wins or not. Your choice.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more.

I think we all agree that neither our defense or offense are elite. They both have a lot to learn and a lot of room for improvement. But, we're in the 2nd year of a complete rebuild and we're 4-1; beating some pretty darn good teams. I'll take that all day long. So, let's talk about what we can do better, sure. But, to say this is a bad team or a far from good team or in any need of major change (new defensive coordinator) is just nonsense.

I don't think there's ever been a team that won every single week AND did it pretty on both sides of the ball. We have a team with a good offense and a middling defense that plays with heart. To quote an Eagles fan in the bar I was at, "These Bills sure play hard." 4 out of 5 games, they've made the crucial stops when they needed to. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. Is the sky falling? No.

I don't think there's ever been a team that won every single week AND did it pretty on both sides of the ball. We have a team with a good offense and a middling defense that plays with heart. To quote an Eagles fan in the bar I was at, "These Bills sure play hard." 4 out of 5 games, they've made the crucial stops when they needed to. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. Is the sky falling? No.

This team could very well fade out and the naysayers will have their day.

Right now we have a team that plays to win and I love it. They played hard last year when they started 0-8 and they continue to play hard while they are winning. Things have turned because they make more big plays.

Trent Dilfer said today that the Bils play "clean football", meaning they execute their gameplan with few mistakes or turnovers. He said they are well coached. I think he is right.

Talentwise they are not an elite team but they are improving and getting better.

The people calling for the firing of the DC (Edwards) are clueless. This will not help anything. We have Wannstedt on the staff and if you folks think he is not involved you are crazy. He is not going to take a backseat to Edwards. Wanny is doing evertything he can to help, he is a competitor and he is the ASSISTANT HC - meaning he outranks Edwards in the organization and is responsible for the defense.

Next week is a very tough road game. It will be a challenge. Go Bills!

There's a big difference between realizing that Bills have flaws and holes in their games and the the small, but insanely vocal 'depression' crowd who think 'everything' is a problem. This group think they have some keen insight that lets them see a problem that should be 'oh, so obvious!' and that they are lone voice of reason against the everyone else who wants to bury their head in the sand. Instead of seeking therapy, they post to TBD about how everything is awful. The Bills have been their dream team for the past ten years or so because they could shoot fish in a barrel. Now that this is not the case, it has enraged them and made them froth at the mouth. I've heard that Jerry Sulivan had to get a rabies shot today when the Bills won and his 'I told you so article' had to be re-written...AGAIN!

There is a saying, "Perfect is the enemy of Good". The Bills are good. You can have four wins or you can hold out and keep bitching for that one perfect win.

Look around the league and tell me who the good teams are this year (as BlueFire said). Yes, the Bills have definite weaknesses. But so does every single other team.

I hate to see what happens when we face a team that gives us zero turnovers.

Stopping the short passing game that other teams seem to use against us regularly would be a good start.

However, our strengths outnumber our weaknesses. People are making valid points about the number of yards we're allowing per game...I don't like it either, but I don't feel as negative about it as the original poster on this thread.

You're right. They're winning, but they need to really step up. I'm glad they've got wins, but there is def. cause for concern.

Do you think it's execution or play calling? It's easy to say both, but I think the play calling is more suspect. It's almost as if they are just not used to having a lead and freak out.

It is odd how they play better from behind than when they have a lead. They get up, then either relax or freak out or something. It's very bizzare. If we had gone up 21-0 on the Pats would we have won? Who knows.

I really could care less about defending myself, but I'll do it anyway. I'm not a naysayer and the firs thing I said was I was happy with 4-1. I love the team. There are clearly a lot of reasonable posters here that agree w/ the jist of what I said. I could care less about "expectations before the season" even my own....certainly since I am happy anyway which is what I've said. My expectations from before the season have no bearing on the team. I want to make the playoffs. And comparing us the Pats is ridiculous. The Pats don't nurse a 40 point lead, they peddle to the metal the entire game. They crush you if they can.

Anyway go Bills, we're all Bills fans and we're all happy even if we disagree and some (somehow) think we have a good defense. I really like the one guys post on how the turnovers won't continue, b/c I agree. We have to play differently long term to sustain wins. We certainly will have to play better than we have to beat good teams down the line. God knows, if we are so fortunate to make the playoffs (and I hesitate to get into this) we will have to play better (lol can't wait for that line to be emboldened and railed against).

Anyway, I don't like the way we played w/ the lead. I don't think we've played consistant for 60 minutes. I think we're played good enough to win. I don't think we've been a good football team (although we've been a winning football team). I know a good and winning football team are indistinguishable to some, and I would agree if we just won the superbowl, but 5 games in it isn't to me.

That's all I'm saying. Get on me if you will (the few that have) but I'm not alone in my thoughts. Go Bills...we're 4-1. I hope we continue to improve in both our performance and our coaching. And I hope we can get healthy b/c as we all know...it's close to becoming an issue. I think the Giants are beatable...and then the bye. Win or lose let's just play good next week and get to the bye.

i didnt read everyones posts but i will add mine.what i saw was the tale off two halves 1st half defence played well. 2nd half they werent as aggressive and it seems anyone can throw on us,ANYONE...the corners were 7 yards off the receivers at the line. they marched up and down the field.Iam glad to be 4-1 but with this "d" its going to be tough :thumbdown::thumbsup::worthy:

GO BILLS

There's a big difference between realizing that Bills have flaws and holes in their games and the the small, but insanely vocal 'depression' crowd who think 'everything' is a problem. This group think they have some keen insight that lets them see a problem that should be 'oh, so obvious!' and that they are lone voice of reason against the everyone else who wants to bury their head in the sand. Instead of seeking therapy, they post to TBD about how everything is awful. The Bills have been their dream team for the past ten years or so because they could shoot fish in a barrel. Now that this is not the case, it has enraged them and made them froth at the mouth. I've heard that Jerry Sulivan had to get a rabies shot today when the Bills won and his 'I told you so article' had to be re-written...AGAIN!

There is a saying, "Perfect is the enemy of Good". The Bills are good. You can have four wins or you can hold out and keep bitching for that one perfect win.

I'm not a big PC guy whatsoever, but I feel compelled to comment here. I don't really see how your bolded statement has any merit or place in a discussion. I'm of the pessimistic brand regarding the Bills, and my mental health is in tip-top shape. I watch the games and call them as I see them, and for the last 10 years, good things would happen and then everything would come crashing down to Earth. I really fail to see how people who are skeptical of the 4-1 Bills can be labeled as those "needing therapy". The comment itself isn't offensive or anything like that, but what makes you correct and me (and others) incorrect? I don't know how many others I speak for, but my opinions regarding the Bills are completely 100% independent from anything else in my life. To imply anything to the contrary is pretty !@#$ing ignorant.

Edited by deep2evans

I'm not a big PC guy whatsoever, but I feel compelled to comment here. I don't really see how your bolded statement has any merit or place in a discussion. I'm of the pessimistic brand regarding the Bills, and my mental health is in tip-top shape. I watch the games and call them as I see them, and for the last 10 years, good things would happen and then everything would come crashing down to Earth. I really fail to see how people who are skeptical of the 4-1 Bills can be labeled as those "needing therapy". The comment itself isn't offensive or anything like that, but what makes you correct and me (and others) incorrect? I don't know how many others I speak for, but my opinions regarding the Bills are completely 100% independent from anything else in my life. To imply anything to the contrary is pretty !@#$ing ignorant.

Just want to point out that I (topic creator) and many others in here don't consider themselves to be of a pessimistic brand. Just a "we need to get better" brand.

Edited by dayman

I think you are on to something. And the Jerry Sullivan connection is right on.

It's like "they aren't going to win the Super Bowl, so I can just tsk,tsk,tsk all these silly fans that think they are any good". As long as the Bills don't win the Super Bowl, they can always claim to be right ("Oh, that porous defense. I told everyone").

None of these guys go out on a limb and actually predict a final season record for the Bills though, even with 5 games to analyze.

I think you are on to something. And the Jerry Sullivan connection is right on.

It's like "they aren't going to win the Super Bowl, so I can just tsk,tsk,tsk all these silly fans that think they are any good". As long as the Bills don't win the Super Bowl, they can always claim to be right ("Oh, that porous defense. I told everyone").

None of these guys go out on a limb and actually predict a final season record for the Bills though, even with 5 games to analyze.

Wildcard loss. Good season. Happy? I know I will be if we are fortunate enough to have it go that way.

Hey 8 ints verse two pre season all pro qbs is not an accident, the defense is still working itself into what its gonna be but hustle and execution is why they got the interceptions against Brady n Vick and the reason they have 12 already this year. This team is a work in progress but its getting fun to watch in the meantime. GO Bills!!!!!!