We melt like ice

dayman

I think that is a good prediction.

Calling a defense "utter trash" certainly doesn't imply you think they are a playoff team though.

We have to get better over the course of the season b/c right now they are IMO. Nice turnovers if those somehow continue that's fine I jsut don't think they will and w/ out them we need to improve or this will be another non-playoff team.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to get better over the course of the season b/c right now they are IMO. Nice turnovers if those somehow continue that's fine I jsut don't think they will and w/ out them we need to improve or this will be another non-playoff team.

How will we know if the Bills defense has improved or if the games they play in have just dictated that they play a different style?

If they win a low scoring, tight game one week, then win a few weeks later in a shootout like this game, what will it mean to you?

As I have noted on this board, I think that they are giving up a lot of yards and points because they have been playing under extreme conditions. Protecting a big lead for 3 quarters is difficult because of the risks the offense is willing to take. The best way to counter it is by opportunistically pouncing on the mistakes that most teams will make in their desperation. The Bills defense did that. That doesn't mean it is the only way they can play.

When a team plays a close-to-the-vest, grind it out game, and beats the Bills, then I think they will warrant real criticism. That hasn't happened yet. The Raiders wanted to kill the clock , but they couldn't, right?

In this game the offense was the let down, they were responsible for allowing a dangerous offensive team back on the field.

The Bills will be fine, they have faced some very good offenses.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

What the negative posters have been trying to say is that giving up 450+ yards defensively 3 weeks in a row is a scary stat and will get you beat most weeks. We have managed to overcome that stat 4 times. Good defenses don't give up that much yardage. Most teams don't win after giving up that kind of yardage. This year seems to be the exception. I would prefer to score 31 points and only give up 200 yards defensively and win 31 to 14. My nerves and fingernails would appreciate it!

What the negative posters have been trying to say is that giving up 450+ yards defensively 3 weeks in a row is a scary stat and will get you beat most weeks. We have managed to overcome that stat 4 times. Good defenses don't give up that much yardage. Most teams don't win after giving up that kind of yardage. This year seems to be the exception. I would prefer to score 31 points and only give up 200 yards defensively and win 31 to 14. My nerves and fingernails would appreciate it!

Well if we join the Pac-10, we can probably do that every week.

How will we know if the Bills defense has improved or if the games they play in have just dictated that they play a different style?

If they win a low scoring, tight game one week, then win a few weeks later in a shootout like this game, what will it mean to you?

As I have noted on this board, I think that they are giving up a lot of yards and points because they have been playing under extreme conditions. Protecting a big lead for 3 quarters is difficult because of the risks the offense is willing to take. The best way to counter it is by opportunistically pouncing on the mistakes that most teams will make in their desperation. The Bills defense did that. That doesn't mean it is the only way they can play.

When a team plays a close-to-the-vest, grind it out game, and beats the Bills, then I think they will warrant real criticism. That hasn't happened yet. The Raiders wanted to kill the clock , but they couldn't, right?

In this game the offense was the let down, they were responsible for allowing a dangerous offensive team back on the field.

The Bills will be fine, they have faced some very good offenses.

Well it's a good point it's all highly situational. That said, it really isn't that hard to see when you watch the game. When people stop marching right down the field w/ guys running wide open, when Cinci stops pounding us physically, we will be improved. Right now we can be beat either way. It is disturbing to me. The D has been beat in most situations that exist. They've been bullied. They've been finessed. They've taken the ball away in a majority of the games so far but when they don't we'll be in trouble. I mean I hear what you are saying we play however the game goes, but we are one half of that formula. The game is going how it's going in large part due to the way we're playing. Right?

It would be one thing to have an identity one way or the other. Something we do well consistently. We don't really do anything well except take the ball away which is not something that we can sustain on the level we've been, and we've needed every bit of what we've gotten.

Edited by dayman

I really could care less about defending myself, but I'll do it anyway. I'm not a naysayer and the firs thing I said was I was happy with 4-1. I love the team. .

Anyway go Bills, we're all Bills fans and ..blah blah blah..

Anyway, I don't like the way we played w/ the lead. I don't think we've played consistant for 60 minutes. KC week 1 doesn't ring a bell?

That's all I'm saying. Get on me if you will (the few that have) but I'm not alone in my thoughts. Go Bills...

And the second thing you said was: The offense played not to lose in the second half and the defense played to lose. .. That said...this defense is utter trash and I was honestly confused about the play calling down the line.

So yes, you get flamed. All your other 'I love the Bills' crap gets thrown out the window in a post & thread where clueless negativity is your true emphasis. To wit: Dareus, Williams, Barnett, Merriman, Byrd, Florence, Wilson are so far removed from being "utter trash", you rate to be engulfed in 'flames'. They are some of the most elite football players in the world and play for our team. As for you being "honestly confused" by the play calling, I'm pretty sure that's the point of play calling.

Don't know if it'spossible, but here's some insight that may ally your fears. You -well, most of us- saw Arthur Moats, Kelvin Sheppard and Danny Batten get more playing time yesterday than at any time so far this season. Their play was very good! -given inexperience. These are new players ChanNix brought to the team aimed at consistent growth toward a perennial playoff team. This team is getting there faster than anyone thought. Still learning how to play at a consistent level, they're piling up wins in the process. THIS is what you don't see.

Of course, it's easier to say they all suck, because we're all Bills fans, right?..

And the second thing you said was: The offense played not to lose in the second half and the defense played to lose. .. That said...this defense is utter trash and I was honestly confused about the play calling down the line.

So yes, you get flamed. All your other 'I love the Bills' crap gets thrown out the window in a post & thread where clueless negativity is your true emphasis. To wit: Dareus, Williams, Barnett, Merriman, Byrd, Florence, Wilson are so far removed from being "utter trash", you rate to be engulfed in 'flames'. They are some of the most elite football players in the world and play for our team. As for you being "honestly confused" by the play calling, I'm pretty sure that's the point of play calling.

Don't know if it'spossible, but here's some insight that may ally your fears. You -well, most of us- saw Arthur Moats, Kelvin Sheppard and Danny Batten get more playing time yesterday than at any time so far this season. Their play was very good! -given inexperience. These are new players ChanNix brought to the team aimed at consistent growth toward a perennial playoff team. This team is getting there faster than anyone thought. Still learning how to play at a consistent level, they're piling up wins in the process. THIS is what you don't see.

Of course, it's easier to say they all suck, because we're all Bills fans, right?..

Look, if we disagree that's ok. I like our team, I think we've overachieved. What I'm talking about is the clear cause for concern that we won't continue to do so unless we play significantly better on defense. The defense IS trash right now. It's terrible.

Every player in the league is an elite player in the world, nobody you listed is an elite player in the league. "Elite football player in the world." LOL

Now, we do have some good players, I'm not down on everyone individually, but the D as a unit has been terrible. Our D is BAD. KC doesn't matter, nobody cares about that game it was clearly an anomaly even for terrible KC to play like they did. Credit to us in that game, but nobody is going to say "week 1 @KC makes us a good 60 minute football team." I am happy w/ Sheppard and optimistic about his future, I've loved Batten on special teams hopefully he continues to get better. Moats kind of is what he is I know there's a sort of cult following on this board w/ him but he's not overly impressive to me (that said it's not like he's incapable of making a play).

Bottom line though, a team with a good defense (certainly w/ our WR corps going down the way they are) can work us b/c if we don't score we're done. On defense we can't stop anyone. And I guess where we differ is you see something that makes you think we're getting better. I don't. We can hang our hat on youth and injuries in the secondary but McGee is old and Williams is a rookie, let's not pretend we'll be fine back there just b/c we get them back. We are also only VERY slightly better at stopping people from hitting us in the mouth...teams run the ball on us almost the same as last year. We aren't significantly improved there (despite it seemingly like we should be).

I know people blame the offense and with good reason (certainly knowing that our D is what it is they can't shut it down like that), but the defense is a huge problem and will be so down the line. As for being confused by the offense play calling being a good thing...just no. LOL, we were not willing to do anything in the second half the entire stadium knew we would continue to throw screens and they were all over it. We simply wouldn't even try to throw the ball downfield once Jones went out and it was killing us.