A Few Thoughts About The Game

1) Chris Kelsay, for all of the beating he has taken on this board, is playing very well.

2) I'm sorry, there was obviously something up with Fitz. What was that on his throwing hand? His ring finger appeared to be taped. If you look at his overall numbers they weren't bad but his passes lacked zip and for the most part he was fairly well protected.

3) The sack by Dareus was as as good as it gets. I could watch that play 100 times and not get bored. Can you begin to imagine this kid in a year or 2?

4) Wilson and Scott both made plays. They had their hands full with Gresham, but they played smart, alert football.

5) I wish that Chan would have used Smith in the wildcat a couple of times. Gailey doesn't need my advice as a coach, of this I am well aware. Still, Brad Smith is a nice weapon imo.

6) Speaking of weapons, Spiller continues to frustrate me. I know he didn't get a lot of touches, but it's time to ask why, isn't it?

7) I understand that we needed more pass rush, especially against a rookie. That said, McKelvin is to the secondary what JP Losman is to the QB position. McKelvin has all the speed in the world, but he caught out of position and picked on by a rookie. He will make a play here and there because of his talent but that's not enough. It would be nice to be able to count on him.

8) You thought I was going to blast Bell for the sack he gave up, no? Not this time. In all he played pretty well and I hope he is healthy. My opinion of Bell is changing.

9) Levitre played another good game and was responsible for the TD run by Jackson at the end of the half. I hope they lock him up soon with a new contract.

10) It was a very disappointing loss, but the Bengals are better than I thought. One has to be impressed by Dalton, Gresham and Green to name a few. But, this team HAS to not look back and win at home. I think that can do it.

11) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bengals were NOT what we thought they were...they were better. I thought they held Freddy down pretty well and played some solid pass defense. It's almost as if the Bills underestimated them a bit. Andy Dalton didn't impress me in the first half, but he was much better in the second. He hung in there after making some bad throws. AJ Green is going to be a stud in the next year or so.

Tough loss, but it just reinforces how we can't assume anything. I expect a better effort against a desperate Eagles team next week.

Is it possible McKelvin just doesn't know how to play CB? He's rarely out of position, has great closing speed but just can't seem to find the ball/plan his play on it.. Frustrating!

Dalton was Jekyl & Hyde. We ONLY led in the first half because of how poorly he played. The proverbial switch was turned on at halftime..

The whole NFL is upside down now. Everybody has skill & talent and everybody has glaring weaknesses. Every game is a war unto itself, where only the forutnate survive. We set an all time record last week with back to back 18+ point comebacks, only to have that record blown off the boards 1 week later by Detroit. Any team is capable of either 4-12 or 12-4. Amazing!

Chandler, yes the league is in parity with a salary cap and floor. Theres one elite team IMO packers, a handful of bottom feeders and everyone else something like 27 teams are bunched in the middle. Even big market Rex Ryan said as much. One reason it was silly for all this bills arrogance taking the bengals lightly all week ... Media, fans and yes bills players and coaches are all guilty. (heck the OP in point 10 made a Freudian slip and still thinks we won!)

bills were 3 and 0 with back to back miracle comebacks that could have been decided by a play either way. They could just as easily been 1 & 2 or 2 & 1

Who knows maybe the humble pie will serve them better in the long run than a win.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Is it possible McKelvin just doesn't know how to play CB? He's rarely out of position, has great closing speed but just can't seem to find the ball/plan his play on it.. Frustrating!

Dalton was Jekyl & Hyde. We ONLY led in the first half because of how poorly he played. The proverbial switch was turned on at halftime..

The whole NFL is upside down now. Everybody has skill & talent and everybody has glaring weaknesses. Every game is a war unto itself, where only the forutnate survive. We set an all time record last week with back to back 18+ point comebacks, only to have that record blown off the boards 1 week later by Detroit. Any team is capable of either 4-12 or 12-4. Amazing!

Ehhhh.... Manningless Colts and the Browns are pretty much stuck toward the 4-12 end.

In my opinion Gailey called a conservative game as well. It was like last week he knew the Pats were the better team so he took some chances both with his play calling and situations. Against the Pats he went for it, and against the Bengals he did not. Yesterday it looked to me like he thought the Bills were the better team and figured that eventually the cream would rise to the top so he didn't take the risks. Unfortunately it did not work out.

Chandler, yes the league is in parity with a salary cap and floor. Theres one elite team IMO packers, a handful of bottom feeders and everyone else something like 27 teams are bunched in the middle. Even big market Rex Ryan said as much. One reason it was silly for all this bills arrogance taking the bengals lightly all week ... Media, fans and yes bills players and coaches are all guilty. (heck the OP in point 10 made a Freudian slip and still thinks we won!)

bills were 3 and 0 with back to back miracle comebacks that could have been decided by a play either way. They could just as easily been 1 & 2 or 2 & 1

Who knows maybe the humble pie will serve them better in the long run than a win.

Thanks for that; I edited it. :oops:

Not sure if I agree about 27 teams stuck in the middle (sounds a bit high), but your point is taken. And, the closer that teams are bunched together, coaching and depth take upon much larger roles.

1) Chris Kelsay, for all of the beating he has taken on this board, is playing very well.

2) I'm sorry, there was obviously something up with Fitz. What was that on his throwing hand? His ring finger appeared to be taped. If you look at his overall numbers they weren't bad but his passes lacked zip and for the most part he was fairly well protected.

3) The sack by Dareus was as as good as it gets. I could watch that play 100 times and not get bored. Can you begin to imagine this kid in a year or 2?

4) Wilson and Scott both made plays. They had their hands full with Gresham, but they played smart, alert football.

5) I wish that Chan would have used Smith in the wildcat a couple of times. Gailey doesn't need my advice as a coach, of this I am well aware. Still, Brad Smith is a nice weapon imo.

6) Speaking of weapons, Spiller continues to frustrate me. I know he didn't get a lot of touches, but it's time to ask why, isn't it?

7) I understand that we needed more pass rush, especially against a rookie. That said, McKelvin is to the secondary what JP Losman is to the QB position. McKelvin has all the speed in the world, but he caught out of position and picked on by a rookie. He will make a play here and there because of his talent but that's not enough. It would be nice to be able to count on him.

8) You thought I was going to blast Bell for the sack he gave up, no? Not this time. In all he played pretty well and I hope he is healthy. My opinion of Bell is changing.

9) Levitre played another good game and was responsible for the TD run by Jackson at the end of the half. I hope they lock him up soon with a new contract.

10) It was a very disappointing loss, but the Bengals are better than I thought. One has to be impressed by Dalton, Gresham and Green to name a few. But, this team HAS to not look back and win at home. I think that can do it.

11) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty calm thoughts Bill, considering the poor play of the Bills and the questionable officiating.

If we do not block better there will never be opportunity to get touches for Smith, Spiller and Freddy.

Fitz was off. Cinci got to him early with pressure and a few late hits on the first two drives.

Our OL lost the battle of the trenches to their DL and that was as much a factor as anything yesterday.

Edited by Bob in STL

Agree on Kelsay.

Fitz banged his hand on that first sack early in the game.

If you watch Dareus, he gets double teamed on just about every play.

I know everyone loves Wilson and Scott, and they are nice players against the run, but each is a step too slow.

Bell's injury makes me nervous. Late round rookie stating at LT. If Orbik comes back, maybe Reinhart can play LT?

McKelvin is the one 1st rounder that we forgot to get rid of.

Not sure I agree with any credit to the D-line. Dareus made a few plays that no one on this team has been able to make fro a decade. Kelsay was something in the first half. In the second, there was no penetration and the linebackers filled no holes. Bengals owned the Bills when it mattered.

Bills offensive line was terrible most of the game. Few holes for Jackson and Fitz was getting knocked around a lot, more in the first half than the second. Agree re Bell: Rinehart didn't do anythign terribly wrong in the one series or so he played but not feeling confident about him for a whole game.

Biggest concern has to be the Bills defensive front 7. They are not getting much done through 4 games. Offense was off but that can happen, and the Bengals deefnse made few mistakes--it seemed like every first tackler Jackson saw took him down. Fantastic tackling team.

McKelvin is a fine dime back. Williams and McGee: Get well soon.

You were far more positive than I thought you would be. IMO McLuvin is at best a third corner and has no business starting. If anything his play has regressed and it is obvious that other teams see it. Like you, Gailey does not need my opinion but it was frustrating to note the Bills hardly tried to establish any presence in the run game.

We could have played better. That happens. The key is to put on our big boy pants and get ready for an Eagles team very very hungry for a win. Our season is based on winning our home games, beating a few of our Eastern Division opponents, and not getting too wrapped up in inevitable losses.

Dalton looks like a steal, and will probably make Cinci forget all about Carson Palmer.

Solution: Put this baby behind us and move on to go into the break 4-2 or even 5-1.

Maybe Levitre should get credit but I thought McIntyre was responsible for Freddy's TD run. That guy is amazing. He screened two LB's on that play and didn't go for the sucker cut-in block, he slid through the hole, turned back toward the middle and sealed that hole off like a pro. I watch him every play he's in and wonder if we shouldn't utilize that guy more. Best FB in the game and a great special teamer too.

Edited by Webster Guy

Fitz banged his hand on that first sack early in the game.

There you go.

Fitz was not himself, espscially early in the game. For instance, on one of his completions (I'm thinking it was to Chandler), the receiver was open and if Fitz would have lead him, there would have been a big gain.

On another play, he was standing tall in the pocket and threw a pass with virtually no zip. Plus, he had all of 5 yards rushing which is also telling imo. I was thinking that a called qb run would have worked.

You know, I read these post during the week about the Bills having the best OL in the leage, etc. The truth is that a healthy Fitz makes these guys appear to be better than they are.

Again, I am pretty sure that the injury to his throwing hand really affected Fitz a great deal. Jmo.

Maybe Levitre should get credit but I thought McIntyre was responsible for Freddy's TD run. That guy is amazing. He screened two LB's on that play and didn't go for the sucker cut-in block, he slid through the hole, turned back toward the middle and sealed that hole off like a pro. I watch him every play he's in and wonder if we shouldn't utilize that guy more. Best FB in the game and a great special teamer too.

Levitre performed a textbook hook block on that play - he hooked his arm around the defender's arm and lifted and pushed, moving the guy out of the way like drapes.