A difference between Chan and Dick

Wagon Circler

We talked about that at work, and the consensus was yeah, Dick would have gone TD

Sure, but he would have called straight runs up the middle and would have had to kick the FG. Brady and co. would have gotten the ball back and gone end zone for the W.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Juaron never seemed to make any adjustments. He just stuck with whatever gameplan was put in during the week. When things would go poorly, he would stick to that and hope soemthing would catch on. Granted, Fitz makes some great adjustments at the line, but I think Gailey makes some big changes and that is what got us back in both games the last two weeks. If Juaron were coaching last week, we would have gotten blown out.

Dick would have done the same as Chan. He wasn't an aggressive coach, he played to "not lose".

He certainly wouldn't have called for a long pass play to open up that drive though, I think *that* is the difference.

The problem is that whenever Dick tried, he lost...

He went for the 4th and 1 at the 1 yard line to go up by 10 and did not make it. Brady drives 99 yards to win the game.

He needed one play against the Broncos in the opener to ice the game. Losman throws deep and misfires to Lee Evans. The Broncos get the ball back, drive, kick the FG and win the game.

He needed one play before the 2 minute warning to close out the game against Favre and the Jets....He calls for a simple "Throw to Full back and get the first down" and ice the game. Instead, JP panics and fumbles the ball, which is returned for a TD and the lead for the Jets.

He needed one set of first downs to ice the 10 point lead against the patriots in the season opener two years ago and then they blow it by giving up 2 TDs in the last few minutes.

What else is he supposed to do?

Juaron never seemed to make any adjustments. He just stuck with whatever gameplan was put in during the week. When things would go poorly, he would stick to that and hope soemthing would catch on. Granted, Fitz makes some great adjustments at the line, but I think Gailey makes some big changes and that is what got us back in both games the last two weeks. If Juaron were coaching last week, we would have gotten blown out.

Untrue. Both games most of the players said that they made no real adjustments at halftime. They liked their game plan going in and thought it would work in the second half even though they shot themselves in the foot in the first half. Fitzpatrick said they didn't make any adjustments. After the Raiders game, I think Florence on defense said his position coaches made some adjustments. But they didnt change the overall plan on offense or defense from the first to the second half.

Now, I agree that if Jauron were coaching last week, we would have gotten blown out. But that's because he rarely seemed to have good game plans on offense or defense (although he also had a lot of crappy players).

He needed one play before the 2 minute warning to close out the game against Favre and the Jets....He calls for a simple "Throw to Full back and get the first down" and ice the game. Instead, JP panics and fumbles the ball, which is returned for a TD and the lead for the Jets.

Would have been nice if All Pro Jason Peters had blocked somebody on that play. He totally ole blocked that dude that crunched poor JP.

Jauron is a damn good football coach, you idiots! Some of you need to take a look at Belichick's record his first few years as a head coach! Could Jauron be following in Belichick's footsteps? I think so! It takes five or six years to turn around a franchise. You can't build a team when you get a new head coach every four years or so. Give Jauron some time!!!!!

While I do not disagree with Chan's strategy, I bet this thread would be a lot different had something gone wrong on that FG attempt, like a block, a mishandled snap, a doink off one of the uprights. And then we watch helplessly as Brady leads them down the field for the game winner in overtime because they win the toss and get the ball first. Just sayin'.

What I wonder is what Chan might have been able to do with JP had he been here when he was drafted. The guy has a rifle arm and tremendous mobility. I know there are people on this board who think JP was stupid, but I don't think that was a given nor really proven. He was under siege most of the time and I believe Dick tried to force him to stay in the pocket. He and his OCs did not let him play his game, nor did they have an offense that was well-suited to his strengths.

I'm very glad we have Fitz, but I can't help but wonder what might have been. I think QBs are very much a product of their environment as they develop, or don't, and even Fitz has, only since hooking up with Chan, had a chance to truely blossom.

Jauron is a damn good football coach, you idiots! Some of you need to take a look at Belichick's record his first few years as a head coach! Could Jauron be following in Belichick's footsteps? I think so! It takes five or six years to turn around a franchise. You can't build a team when you get a new head coach every four years or so. Give Jauron some time!!!!!

:huh: :huh: :huh:

While I do not disagree with Chan's strategy, I bet this thread would be a lot different had something gone wrong on that FG attempt, like a block, a mishandled snap, a doink off one of the uprights. And then we watch helplessly as Brady leads them down the field for the game winner in overtime because they win the toss and get the ball first. Just sayin'.

It was a pretty sound strategy. The ball was at the one yard line. In his career, Rian Lindell is 351-352 in extra points. 99.6% I think. The one miss in his career was in 2010 and I can't recall if it was a bad snap, placement or kick. But he has only missed one ever.

Granted, there is a little more pressure on a game winning field goal for the snapper, holder, and kicker. But we have one of the best snappers, holders, and kickers in the league. Lindell was not going to miss. There was a much, much greater chance of fumbling in four tries, or the Patsies scoring a TD to tie it, than Lindell missing.

Our offense under Dick would not have been in that situation in the first place. But I can't imagine any coach opting for a TD try against an offense as powerful as the Pats with that little time and being only two yards from the promised land.

This team was boring under him, and played uninspired. You could see the level of intensity increase when Fewell, and then Chan, headed the ship.

Chan's offense is exciting to watch. Spreads. Stacks. Receivers running all over the place. Finesse running. Bombs. Slants. Wildcat. Competence. Playing to our strengths. Gutsy, but smart, throws. Imaginative play calling. And instilling a winning culture that's palpable.

Dick's offense was screens and checkdowns, one almost incapable of big-time rallies, one that loses to the Browns 9-6. Chan has turned a bunch of ragtags into an elite scoring juggernaut capable of beating any team in the NFL.

It was a pretty sound strategy. The ball was at the one yard line. In his career, Rian Lindell is 351-352 in extra points. 99.6% I think. The one miss in his career was in 2010 and I can't recall if it was a bad snap, placement or kick. But he has only missed one ever.

Lindell kicked on too low and it was blocked in the Chicago game last year which pretty much cost us the game.

I was wondering what would happen around here if they had ruled that Fitz did fumble and the Patsies had recovered. Then Tom Brady with 2:00 and 2 timeouts goes down the field get a FG or TD for the win. That was my fear of this strategy.

Bottom line: it worked, so it was the right call.

Hello Marv Levy. We didn't know you were running through this message board :rolleyes:

What I wonder is what Chan might have been able to do with JP had he been here when he was drafted. The guy has a rifle arm and tremendous mobility. I know there are people on this board who think JP was stupid, but I don't think that was a given nor really proven. He was under siege most of the time and I believe Dick tried to force him to stay in the pocket. He and his OCs did not let him play his game, nor did they have an offense that was well-suited to his strengths.

I'm very glad we have Fitz, but I can't help but wonder what might have been. I think QBs are very much a product of their environment as they develop, or don't, and even Fitz has, only since hooking up with Chan, had a chance to truely blossom.

When Fitz rolls out he makes things happen. In a way he has to because much like Flutie, Fitz has to step into a lot of his throws. When Losman rolled out, disaster awaited.

JP couldn't make it in other systems besides ours despite his fine arm. The Colts could use a strong arm QB now, but it appears as if the league has given up on Losman.

It was a fine thought, but imo JP gave us what he had. Then, the league figured him out and he was through.

Maybe people would be criticizing Chan, but, to be blunt, they'd be idiots. Nothing is guaranteed to work, including a chip-shot FG. At a certain point it's out of the coach's hands and the players would deserve all the blame for a negative outcome - if there was a bad snap, or Lindell missed, that would be on the players, one of the few times I'd be comfortable saying something was 100% their fault.

Maybe people would be criticizing Chan, but, to be blunt, they'd be idiots. Nothing is guaranteed to work, including a chip-shot FG. At a certain point it's out of the coach's hands and the players would deserve all the blame for a negative outcome - if there was a bad snap, or Lindell missed, that would be on the players, one of the few times I'd be comfortable saying something was 100% their fault.

You obviously don't understand coaching decisions. It it works you're a genius. If it doesn't, you're a dumbass. End of story.

Assuming this is sarcasm, if not, is that you Mrs. Jauron?

Jauron is a good coach for very bad football teams. His extremely conservative gameplans give bad teams a chance to keep the game close against most opponents. He can get 3-13 teams up to 6-10 (7-9 even).

But his poor gameday decision making and his conservative gameplans do not allow good teams to get past mediocre (without a ton of breaks falling his way).

7-9 with extremely non-entertaining games for the most part is his legacy.

Just something I've been thinking about since the game ended.

When the last touchdown by Freddie was taken away, I thought "beautiful, now we can kneel down three times and take most of the time off the clock".

Of course that is exactly what Chan did and it worked out perfectly.

But I can't help thinking that Dick would not have done this. He would have thought,"the objective is to score touchdowns and besides, the worst case scenario is overtime".

So he would have handed off and left Brady a minute and a 1/2 to tie it, which he probably would have and lo and behold, an excruciating loss in overtime.

It would be so Dick-like. At least Chan has the smarts to to do what was called for in that situation, even if slightly unconventional.

Thoughts?

Dude, you can write 5,000 words on the differences between Chan in Dicky...

I thought another big difference was when Buffalo had the ball with a minute left in the first half on their own 10 yard line. Jauron, and even Levy, would have tried to run the clock out. They come out firing and get a field goal before half. Nice job Chan!

You just captured the essence of the difference between Chan and Dick.