A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

"It has been something special the past few weeks. It's great to see the 20 somethings and college kids get a taste of what it was like to have the team to look forward to week after week. When the Sabres are rolling it's like a small tornado.....but when the Bills get going, the whole thing turns into a category 5 hurricane. The younger generation has no idea of the power behind it. I think it's safe to say we at least now have a tropical storm warning posted for our area. "

Great observation and way to say it Clip.

Right now, its euphoric. It is not only that we beat the evil empire of the football world, its HOW we won, and WHO is doing it, and WHEN, etc.

Personally, for us old-timers, with all the history behind it, and with the context of this win, I'm not sure any Super Bowl win would have spurred any deeper emotions in me. . . . But, I sure would love the opportunity to compare

Edited by CSBill

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I was traveling yesterday and have not yet seen the game - just highlights - but I am none the less still euphoric over this win this morning. What a great victory for this team. I have said this before but I absolutley love what Gailey is doing with this team. Not just the creative offense and brilliant play calling, but especially the attitude he has instilled in his players. What a great job of coaching. I love this team.

Edited by MDFan

1) One thing I gotta say about Stevie Johnson. The kid is almost always open. I'm serious. We have all seen better receivers, but SJ is getting better week to week and it's impossible not to like this kid.

2) My prayers go out to A. Williams. Get well young man.

3) Chandler didn't put up big numbers. It looked to me as if he wasn't on the field so much. But, that kid gives it his all on every play, and he sure seems to be a clutch player.

4) Kudos to McKelvin. Yeah, I said that.

5) Fred Jackson is sick. Seriously, he gets better week to week and it's not like he is young. He was switching gears on a couple of those runs and is faster that I thought. I do hope that they give him a new contract. It's a safe bet that he won't take the money and quit ala Dockery. The man is a gentleman.

6) Did you people see Bellichick? He isn't ageing well at all. It's as if all the cheating is catching up with him. I know I'm wrong to take it this seriously, but he makes me sick. I can't even look at that scumbag.

7) On the beautiful run by Jackson with approx. 10:28 left in the 3rd quarter, Andy Levitre took out 2 defenders, and he did so in about 2 seconds or less. He can play on my team any day of the week.

8) Spiller hesitated on a punt return where it looked to me that he could have gained yards. He also made a fair catch on the 5. He needs to step up and contribute.

9) How often do I complain about the refs? Well, on the first 2 NE drives, the Bills defenders were held on every play. Especially Kelsay, who was actually tackled. I was sure that they were handing NE the game; it was that bad.

10) See what I mean wrt Fitz? He gets his body into position to make throws. He has to because he doesn't have a cannon, but it doesn't matter. He gets the ball in there and he's actually a thrilling player to watch.

11) Gailey is an offensive genius. It baffles me that he wasn't a long time NFL head coach. It's even a little freaky, but so is this entire team. It's as if I still, at 3-0, don't know exactly how to rate them. The pass rush is a big concern, but there is something really good about this football team that it's hard to put into words. At the risk of sounding cliche, this team plays with heart. Heart and determination that I'm not sure if I've ever seen before from any Buffalo Bills football team, and that's quite the compliment.

12) I left out a bunch of things. I know this but its as if I'm spellbound, still.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When receivers are wide open when catching TD passes almost every time, thats coaching and route planning and scheming. That's Gailey. Almost every red zone TD this year has been to a wide open player.

11) Gailey is an offensive genius. It baffles me that he wasn't a long time NFL head coach. It's even a little freaky, but so is this entire team. It's as if I still, at 3-0, don't know exactly how to rate them. The pass rush is a big concern, but there is something really good about this football team that it's hard to put into words. At the risk of sounding cliche, this team plays with heart. Heart and determination that I'm not sure if I've ever seen before from any Buffalo Bills football team, and that's quite the compliment.

This. It's unbelievable that as recently as early last season, we had maybe the worst and most boring offense in the league with Lynch, Evans and Edwards. Now Gailey has put the right people in place and the Bills have possibly the most exciting and dynamic offense. Fantastic job not only with personnel but with schemes and play calling.

Edited by zow2

8) Spiller hesitated on a punt return where it looked to me that he could have gained yards. He also made a fair catch on the 5. He needs to step up and contribute.

10) See what I mean wrt Fitz? He gets his body into position to make throws. He has to because he doesn't have a cannon, but it doesn't matter. He gets the ball in there and he's actually a thrilling player to watch.

12) I left out a bunch of things. I know this but its as if I'm spellbound, still.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn right on #4. You know, this is an offensive league. The Rules Committee has tilted things toward scoring and tons of offense as the NFL wanted. We're regularly seeing contested 30-40-point games. Going forward, this game is not going to be about having shutdown corners --- that's really not going to happen anymore besides the rare physical freak. CBs are going to get beat because with PI they can't take as many risks. It's going to be a matter of offenses making their plays, and a defender (especially DBs) getting only a few moments per game when they can change the course of things. Tight, aggressive defense is a thing of the past. That's not a fault of McKelvin's. He's been in position all you can ask.

On #8 the fair catch at the five is usually a 50-50 whether it rolls for a touchback or gets downed at the 1- or 2-yard line. You may not think a few yards matters all that much, but for all the improvement of the OL, Fitzmagic's quick release and Freddie, having to run the offense literally under the goalpost is like dumping blood in the water when there's a shark around. Especially with Dirty Player on their DL.

#10... I just hope what Fitz has for armstrength doesn't deteriorate too much over the course of the season. I don't think he'll ever have laser accuracy like Brady (on most days), but yes, the man is usually putting it within the margins. Combined with real leadership and ability to read a defense and make progressions, that's 187% better than any QB we've had since Kelly.

No props for David Nelson? All the dude's done is much more than replace Josh Reed. Does he put pine tar on his gloves? All I know is if you put it anywhere in his wheelhouse, it's almost a sure catch. I remember seeing him in Florida games and I'm at a loss to explain how he went undrafted and astonished how the stars lined up for us to sign him.

Spellbound ain't the word for it, Bill!

Edited by UConn James

He's "actually" a thrilling player to watch? I've got to tell you, I don't get your twisted pretzel endorsements of Fitzpatrick. There's always a qualifier. We've finally found our franchise QB I continue to see "nice" and backhanded type commentary on him.

Wow, I hope that this isn't the way I came across to most people. We know all about Fitz, or we thought we did.

The man doesn't look or throw like John Elway. It's his first complete year as a starter. He didn't play at Alabama, USC, etc. But, he is playing like a superstar, and he is doing it behind not the greatest OL. I am thrilled by Fitz.

Is this better? :oops:

Wow, I hope that this isn't the way I came across to most people. We know all about Fitz, or we thought we did.

The man doesn't look or throw like John Elway. It's his first complete year as a starter. He didn't play at Alabama, USC, etc. But, he is playing like a superstar, and he is doing it behind not the greatest OL. I am thrilled by Fitz.

Is this better? :oops:

Much better! I was wondering why you were being so guarded in your commentary, but I guess I was just reading you wrong. It's all good brother! Fitzpatrick IS thrilling and we finally HAVE a QB again!!...:)

Good post as usual Bill. Your 'Few Thoughts' posts are always must reads after every game, win or lose.

I was a little miffed when Spiller called for a fair catch when it seemed he had ample time/room to get a return going as well, but thinking on it I'm wondering if the coaches didn't tell him to be extra careful and that led to the fair catch.

but how do you feel about the OL? :)

OK, here goes (since you asked lol).

Pears held off his man. Levitre played as if he was on fire. He was actually great at both phases of blocking. I never saw him play a game at that level. Wood was fine except for the penalties. The RG lost a few battles that I could see but I can't say that he was awful.

Now, it was a stange game. Let's talk about Bell for a moment.

I have blasted Bell in the past and I didn't do it for no reason. I stand by every statement. Even then I never once questioned his agility. Never. Yesterday was different.

He stood up defenders on passing downs and knocked them back on running plays. That isn't even the good news. One of my complaints about him was his size (the other being strength). Yesterday, he looked as if he gained a few pounds. Did anyone else notice, or am I the only nut who looks for these things?

As much as I talk about the OL and the LT position specifically, I never said that a team must have an Orlando Pace (my personal favorite, R.Rich thinks Ogden was better). But, I would want a player to be on the level of Brad Hopkins. IF, IF IF IF IF IF Bell can put on weight and get stronger without losing his agility, MAYBE he can play at this level. If so, this would mean wins for the Buffalo Bills. And btw, Hopkins blocked for a back (Eddie George) who I liken FJ to in terms of style. Oh, and he will be paid 9 or 10 million per season.

Sorry to ramble, but you asked.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Stevie is growing up fast. A little thing that happened at the game today is that he was introduced last....in tandem with Donald Jones. Now I assume that had to be his idea knowing full well he would get a bigger cheer than Jones.....so they came out together. Little things like that are what is fueling this run.

The biggest difference between these guys and the glory days is that just about every single guy on this team is likable.....and they are built on smarts and trust as much as talent. I would trust most of these guys to babysit my kid. Look at the list...Fitz, Freddie, Nelson, Wood, Kelsay, Williams, Edwards, Wilson....just smart guys who know how to play the game. Guys like Barnett, Florence, McGee when he is back, Darius, Merriman, Stevie....a nice mix of talent and effort and guys who want to win and bring the fans along for the ride. Even the guys who aren't always the sharpest are really good kids who you want to root for like McKelvin and Spiller.

And a lot of it has to do with two country bumpkins who will tell you flat out, this is a pile of gold and this is a pile of $#!t.....and every now and then they'll find a gold nugget in someone else's pile of supposed dung. The honesty and character has been refreshing and sets the tone for the whole thing.

It has been something special the past few weeks. It's great to see the 20 somethings and college kids get a taste of what it was like to have the team to look forward to week after week. When the Sabres are rolling it's like a small tornado.....but when the Bills get going, the whole thing turns into a category 5 hurricane. The younger generation has no idea of the power behind it. I think it's safe to say we at least now have a tropical storm warning posted for our area.

:thumbsup:

Good thoughts but when are you gonna start giving props to Bell and the rest of the oline (except Levitre, who you do)? Bell is, at worst, an average LT and IMO, much better than that. Guess what side most of our big gain run plays are run to?

This is further proof there is no one way to build a football team. The 49ers have invested heavy in their oline and have one of the worst offenses in football. I'm proud of the way the young oline has come together despite being killed by everyone. Obviously a huge amount of credit for the offense success goes to Fitz & Gailey, but the oline are definitely the unsung heroes. 1 sack and a rb averaging almost 6.5 ypc is very impressive.

Maybe referring to Leo as a cancer last week was a bit overstated.

And a bit offensive, but it was in the heat of the moment. McKelvin showed the main characteristic of a good corner: short term memory. He bounced back in a huge way, and for a guy I believe struggles with confidence, this hopefully will lead to him becoming the player I believe he can be.

This point is what is so amazing about this team ... I think it actually starts with Gailey and Fitzbeard. It then rolls on through players like Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Andy Levitre and Donald Jones. The defense is not on the same page yet ... they can and will get there. You just have to love this team and no ... I do not think they will fold like a house of cards as they did in the death by Jauron years.

Unfortunately I was traveling yesterday and have not yet seen the game - just highlights - but I am none the less still euphoric over this win this morning. What a great victory for this team. I have said this before but I absolutley love what Gailey is doing with this team. Not just the creative offense and brilliant play calling, but especially the attitude he has instilled in his players. What a great job of coaching. I love this team.

First thing I did when I landed yersday after an 11 hour flight from overseas was check the score. Holy crap, was that a great way to end the trip.

Thanks for the great thoughts Bill and everyone else. I saw a stuttering version of the game over the internet and wanted to throw a few "big picture" points in here.

-Validates having trust in Nix and Co./Gailey. Remember "sticking with the guys we have" in off-season/preseason? This, IMO, is the biggest thing to come out of this win and the team's performance so far. These guys have a plan, they've stuck to it, and it's a good one. It all starts with the front office.

-O-line is no longer a concern (barring injuries). Not saying they're perfect but they've showed flashes of dominance, great push, pass protection and now we can work towards improving our depth. Love the fact that we can punch it in from the goal line now.

-When Evans was traded Gailey/Nix talked about giving the younger guys a chance. They were obviously referring to Donald Jones and he's coming along nicely.

-Fred Jackson!

-Dareus is a great player but does seem a little undisciplined at times. Just needs more experience.

-Amazing that we could beat the Patriots without getting pressure on Brady. Almost unheard of.

-One negative that really bothers me. Letting Welker/Gronkowski run wild down the seams. Can't we chuck one/both off the line and try disrupting timing? Seems like the safeties were slow to react and this is inexcusable as it's Brady's bread and butter. Seems like we got caught pants-down too many times.

Couldn't see details well over the internet. Anybody like to comment on defensive play/adjustments to all these seam routes? TIA

Fantastic win, wish I could've been at the Ralph. You guys were rocking.

I think it's safe to say we at least now have a tropical storm warning posted for our area.

I think it's been upgraded to category 1 as of yesterday evening.