Another Lee Evans thread......

Simon

Teams are going to start pressing the Bills' WRs hard at the line. We have a bad offensive line and unproven, slow WRs. If I'm a DC, I'm jamming the WRs to buy time for my defensive front four to win their battles and get to the QB. We'll find out soon enough if Gailey can scheme around not having someone who can beat the defense over the top. Want to know my biggest concern? We draft a speedy WR with a top-15 pick next year. Take that to the bank.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that the other receivers that actually caught the football had more impact on the game than Evans who dropped all four thrown to him. Boldin used to play with a guy named Fitzgerald. They had an impact on the way their team performed because Fitzgerald actually catches the football.

They both significantly added value with each other because each was producing in the offense. They were each gaining over 1000 some years together. They weren't mythical players, they were an exceptional WR combo putting up exceptional numbers together. One of the best.

Teams are going to start pressing the Bills' WRs hard at the line. We have a bad offensive line and unproven, slow WRs. If I'm a DC, I'm jamming the WRs to buy time for my defensive front four to win their battles and get to the QB. We'll find out soon enough if Gailey can scheme around not having someone who can beat the defense over the top. Want to know my biggest concern? We draft a speedy WR with a top-15 pick next year. Take that to the bank.

This is one of the reasons Gailey likes Donald Jones. He has the strength to get off that press coverage from the DB.

This is one of the reasons Gailey likes Donald Jones. He has the strength to get off that press coverage from the DB.

Yes but it was clear on Sunday that he doesn't have the speed to maintain separation once he gets off of the line. CBs can catch up to him. You watch: they're going to burn a high pick on a WR.

Yes but it was clear on Sunday that he doesn't have the speed to maintain separation once he gets off of the line. CBs can catch up to him. You watch: they're going to burn a high pick on a WR.

Good insight. He doesn't have that blow up speed. What he has to do to be successful is using his body and find position on the CB. Back shoulder throws and stuff like that.

You don't need only speed. You need good routes.

Jerry Rice wasn't a fast receiver at all.... Just sayin.

Not saying we have the next Jerry Rice on our team, but speed isn't the end all be all.

Edited by Wayne333

Good insight. He doesn't have that blow up speed. What he has to do to be successful is using his body and find position on the CB. Back shoulder throws and stuff like that.

In games, so far, last year and this year, including preseason, Jones hasn't timed his jumps well either. Rather poorly in fact, outside of one or two last year. That's something that can be learned, and I imagine he has done it in practice because Fitz and Gailey seem to like him a lot.

I want to like Jones and forget all about Evans but he needs to prove it in games. I wanted to like Easley and forget all about Evans but that will have to be put on hold. We are not at a shortage of weapons though, so hopefully the deep threat will not kill us, and if Stevie Johnson keeps on making spectacular catches even 20-25 yards down the field the other team will have to start bringing the safety over there, which will help everyone else the way they used to with Evans.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

In games, so far, last year and this year, including preseason, Jones hasn't timed his jumps well either. Rather poorly in fact, outside of one or two last year. That's something that can be learned, and I imagine he has done it in practice because Fitz and Gailey seem to like him a lot.

I want to like Jones and forget all about Evans but he needs to prove it in games. I wanted to like Easley and forget all about Evans but that will have to be put on hold. We are not at a shortage of weapons though, so hopefully the deep threat will not kill us, and if Stevie Johnson keeps on making spectacular catches even 20-25 yards down the field the other team will have to start bringing the safety over there, which will help everyone else the way they used to with Evans.

Yup I still consider Jones a work in progress. Like you said a lot of that can improve with practice and in-game experience. You also have to consider on those type of plays, ball placement by the QB is ultra critical. I remember on pass early on the game, Jones had position on the secondary, Fitzy just missed him and he had to catch the ball out of bounds. Better chemistry and timing will yield better results as well.

Yup I still consider Jones a work in progress. Like you said a lot of that can improve with practice and in-game experience. You also have to consider on those type of plays, ball placement by the QB is ultra critical. I remember on pass early on the game, Jones had position on the secondary, Fitzy just missed him and he had to catch the ball out of bounds. Better chemistry and timing will yield better results as well.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think Jones has to make that catch. He had time and space to get his feet down and I just don't think he did it. There was one play in preseason that Jones was called for offensive pass interference. When I watched the replay, the ball IMO would have hit him in stride. But he slowed down, then pushed off, then jumped and timed his jump poorly. It may have been incomplete because the DB had good position for the most part, but he misjudged the pass and he misjudged his leap. if you're a good player, you will get over that with more experience. I'm hoping it comes soon.

Not saying we have the next Jerry Rice on our team, but speed isn't the end all be all.

It's really not. Andre Reed wasn't supposed to be fast and didn't have great 40 times but I don't recall DBs ever catching him from behind. he used to just blow past guys. You don't at all need to be a burner to be a deep threat. You do need to get open deep and catch the ball deep and burn other teams deep in real games to be a deep threat though.

They expect them to catch balls thrown towards them. Lee dropped balls.

I don't know how this rumor started but Evans did not have any drops in that game.

BTW, You are giving too much credit to Lee for this big win for the Ravens. The big reason the Ravens won was because they rushed for 175+ yards against an AGING Steelers defense and the Ravens defense created 7 turnovers. The Ravens turned the Steelers offense to one dimensional and then harassed Ben Rothelisberger..

Lee is definitely a great addition to that team (and for Lee himself), but he was not the big reason for their win on Sunday.

I agree with all that and never claimed he was the biggest reason for the win on Sunday. I'm just saying that his presence on the field has significantly altered the way that rivalry will be engaged and given Baltimore a card they didn't have before. And while I agree that the Stiller D is aging somewhat, I don't think that was the reason the Ravens were able to run the football against P'burgh for the first time in about a decade.

Remember the Ravens took a 3 TD lead into half time last season too, only for Flacco to make mental mistakes and throw away that game.

If you're referring to the playoff game, I don't think it was quite a 3 TD lead, maybe 17? Regardless of what the scoreboard said, the Stillers were still kicking the snot out of them at halftime and I never thought they were in trouble at any point.

Rice wasn't fast when being timed. I never saw him get caught from behind at SF.He had a heck of a lot of

10 yard passes that he turned into 40-80 yard gains.

Lee Evans didn't drop one pass. I just watched all of the plays they targeted him. No drops at all. On one pass, he was clearly interfered with, which wasn't called, and even the announcers said it was interference. But there wasn't one drop.

Thanks for the thread, Simon. I couldn't have told you that happened without seeing it, but I would have bet on it without seeing it. It happened on the Bills in every game last year.

And thank you for the confirmation on the phantom drops that did not exist. Yes, I was in a bar and yes I was sipping whiskey, but I wasn't drunk. I couldn't recall him dropping a single ball in that game and was starting to wonder whether I really was sauced. I'm heartened that it was just one of those delicious little Sunday buzzes. :beer:

You were not the only one that watched that game for almost the entire thing. I was at a sports bar and DirecTV and all of its infinite wisdom decided it would be smart to do the download for the NFL package update (that was supposed to have been done a week earlier) on the morning of kickoff Sunday. Most of America (at least on the commercial packages bars subscribe to) had no package until sometime into the 3rd quarter.

I was wondering what the hell was going on.

The joint I was in had most of their receivers working but a couple of them kept rebooting themselves and then freezing after a minute of live action before rebooting again.

Fortunately I was also with a couple of beefy Stiller fans who made it quickly clear that they'd be spending copious amounts on food and beverages if they stayed. Which the owner insured they would by coming out and putting the Pitt/Balt game on the big screen right next to the Bills game. :thumbsup:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think Jones has to make that catch. He had time and space to get his feet down and I just don't think he did it. There was one play in preseason that Jones was called for offensive pass interference. When I watched the replay, the ball IMO would have hit him in stride. But he slowed down, then pushed off, then jumped and timed his jump poorly. It may have been incomplete because the DB had good position for the most part, but he misjudged the pass and he misjudged his leap. if you're a good player, you will get over that with more experience. I'm hoping it comes soon.

It's really not. Andre Reed wasn't supposed to be fast and didn't have great 40 times but I don't recall DBs ever catching him from behind. he used to just blow past guys. You don't at all need to be a burner to be a deep threat. You do need to get open deep and catch the ball deep and burn other teams deep in real games to be a deep threat though.

I would like to see that play again too. From what I recall Fitzy through it to the wrong shoulder that was closer to the sideline, the ball was placed high so even if it was caught in bounds the DB would just push him out of bounds in the air (no force out rule) and the ball would be incomplete. I think if that ball is more to the back side shoulder he can use his height and stay in bounds. Atleast that is how that play is supposed to playout in theory.

That's from what I recall but I think only seen 1 replay from the broadcast.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

And thank you for the confirmation on the phantom drops that did not exist. Yes, I was in a bar and yes I was sipping whiskey, but I wasn't drunk. I couldn't recall him dropping a single ball in that game and was starting to wonder whether I really was sauced. I'm heartened that it was just one of those delicious little Sunday buzzes. :beer:

I was wondering what the hell was going on.

The joint I was in had most of their receivers working but a couple of them kept rebooting themselves and then freezing after a minute of live action before rebooting again.

Fortunately I was also with a couple of beefy Stiller fans who made it quickly clear that they'd be spending copious amounts on food and beverages if they stayed. Which the owner insured they would by coming out and putting the Pitt/Balt game on the big screen right next to the Bills game. :thumbsup:

Game Rewind is your friend. $30 for the whole season. The games are able to be seen starting sometime Sunday Night. It's awesome. Can settle a lot of arguments and knucklehead posts. ;) Hope you had a great time. Busby's in Santa Monica with AKC was insane.

And thank you for the confirmation on the phantom drops that did not exist. Yes, I was in a bar and yes I was sipping whiskey, but I wasn't drunk. I couldn't recall him dropping a single ball in that game and was starting to wonder whether I really was sauced. I'm heartened that it was just one of those delicious little Sunday buzzes. ... :beer:

Simon, were you sober enough to notice what kind of routes they were having Evans run?

GO BILLS!!!