Another Lee Evans thread......

Simon

Teams are going to start pressing the Bills' WRs hard at the line. We have a bad offensive line and unproven, slow WRs. If I'm a DC, I'm jamming the WRs to buy time for my defensive front four to win their battles and get to the QB. We'll find out soon enough if Gailey can scheme around not having someone who can beat the defense over the top. Want to know my biggest concern? We draft a speedy WR with a top-15 pick next year. Take that to the bank.

2 words, Roscoe Parrish. 2 more, CJ Spiller. Not to mention they'll hopefully have Easley back next year and he was a 4.46 guy. Guy ahead and press the line. It'll open Parrish or Spiller deep. Not to mention Jones has straightline speed per his draft profile and Johnson has shown ability to find spots to get open

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree there either. I think, along with San Jose and others, that it is possible for Evans to be of greater value to BALT than he could be to BUF this year. In a way, the trade can help both teams.

I think generally it is true. I cant believe the guys that act like he is below average though. They point to his stat line yesterday, and then talk about TO, and totally forget that TO put up a goose egg here. A lot of elite WRs have goose eggs on their resume. The last two years are certainly down years, but it wasnt too long ago he had completed smong the best first five years as measured by the almighty stat line that this team had ever seen.

2 words, Roscoe Parrish. 2 more, CJ Spiller. Not to mention they'll hopefully have Easley back next year and he was a 4.46 guy. Guy ahead and press the line. It'll open Parrish or Spiller deep. Not to mention Jones has straightline speed per his draft profile and Johnson has shown ability to find spots to get open

Not to split hairs because I appreciate your efforts to quash the outlandish assertion that we have a corps of slow receivers, but Easley is actually sub-4.4. Brotha can run.

Not to split hairs because I appreciate your efforts to quash the outlandish assertion that we have a corps of slow receivers, but Easley is actually sub-4.4. Brotha can run.

Shouldn't we wait until he actually plays a real NFL game before we bestow praise? Renaldo Nehemiah could run with the best of 'em too. I'm not fully convinced that Easley can catch too well when real helmets are flying. Never mind that the UConn football pedigree has taken some hits on the NFL waiver wire.

So please, stop with the idiotic comparison of Easley & Evans. One is not like the other.

NFN but Chan Gailey was the OC in KC just 3 years ago under Todd Haley and he knows the Chiefs playbook pretty well, that had to give the Buffalo Bills a huge advantage against the Chiefs. They also may or may not have changed the terminology for the calls, if they didn't its another big reason as to why Buffalo womped them so hard.

It remains to be seen if that Buffalo offense can continue to be as productive as it was against the Chiefs. I hope it is, but something tells me it won't be.

While I agree it'll take time to see if Buffalo stays effective, if your Gailey/KC hypothesis is to be taken seriously explain last year when the Bills struggled mightily against them before losing in OT. If you honestly don't think Haley changed things up I've got some ocean front property in Minnesota for sale. That was one of the key reasons for Haley giving Chan the axe, so he could implement his offensive game plan.

its true, roscoe parrish, our 3rd down back, or a receiver on IR are all prime candidate to fill that role in our offense.

Both players were traded for salary reasons. The organization couldn't trade Evans sooner because there was a lockout, precluding player transactions in general.

Anyone who believes that the player or players replacing Evans on the field is better is way off the mark. Hangartner was making starter money. Even as a backup the versatile player could have been a valuable utility lineman who can play both the center and guard positions. Anyone who has followed the Bills recognizes that a number of player transactions are dictateded by the financial side of the business rather than the football side.

Are you in the Bills front office? If not than it's hard to take your stance credibly. First off, Hangartner was CUT, not traded. Next, as stated Buffalo had just paid Lee a bonus before trading him (and this was after the lockout ended). If they were that concerned about salary wouldn't it make sense to trade him before paying the bonus. MAybe, granted it doesn't fit into your conspiracy theory, the deal was just what Nix stated. The Bills really like their young WRs and with Evans being at the tail end of his career and contract they decided to get something for him before the got nothing?

Took the number direct for his Billsdaily draft capsule - http://www.billsdaily.com/draft/2010/

Check out #4, not arguing he could be faster but this puts it in print

Shouldn't we wait until he actually plays a real NFL game before we bestow praise? Renaldo Nehemiah could run with the best of 'em too. I'm not fully convinced that Easley can catch too well when real helmets are flying. Never mind that the UConn football pedigree has taken some hits on the NFL waiver wire.

So please, stop with the idiotic comparison of Easley & Evans. One is not like the other.

Who compared them? Inital response was to someone stating the Bills had nothing but slow WRs, to which I responded they still had some speed, and was told Easley was faster than I gave him credit for.

Nobody was comparing the 2.

Need to work on that reading comprehension.

As others have suggested, just put Spiller out at WR. He's the same size as Evans (5'11" 197#), is a good receiver, and has much better speed than Evans (4.27 vs. 4.39). He could be the decoy.

Edited by Doc

He was only responding to the assetrion that "the Bills have a bunch of slow receivers", not nominating Easley for the hall of fame. (moot point anyway since he is lost for the year) In any case, try a liitle harder at reading comprehension before you refer to someone else as "idiotic".

Evans is in a walking boot again today, and didn't practice, which may have had a little to do with lack of production on Sunday.

So like I said, I only watched as an aside but.... Did he play 4 quarters or was he limited snaps (especially once out of hand)???

its true, roscoe parrish, our 3rd down back, or a receiver on IR are all prime candidate to fill that role in our offense.

How about you address the point rather than make swarmy comments. That being without Lee we have no speed at the WR position. Both of the players mentioned (Parrish & Spiller) have speed and can make teams pay for jamming the line & playing shallow. And before you talk about that 3rd string back, hasn't Gailey put BOTH Jackson and Spiller on the field at the same time (that would be yes) and hasn't Spiller lined up or motioned to WR (that would be yes again).

As far as that WR on IR goes, all that was brought up was that he too had 4.4 speed and could stretch the field when playing.

Some of you with this Lee is God and cannot be replaced attitude really need to stop.

Took the number direct for his Billsdaily draft capsule - http://www.billsdaily.com/draft/2010/'>http://www.billsdaily.com/draft/2010/

Who compared them? Inital response was to someone stating the Bills had nothing but slow WRs, to which I responded they still had some speed, and was told Easley was faster than I gave him credit for.

Not that this website is any more credible than BillsDaily, though to say "BillsDaily puts it in "print" therefor____" is pretty funny.

Took the number direct for his Billsdaily draft capsule - http://www.billsdaily.com/draft/2010/

And don't mind Ms. GG. she likes to argue with everything I [don't] say.

Not that this website is any more credible than BillsDaily, though to say "BillsDaily puts it in "print" therefor____" is pretty funny.

All I know is that makes it 2 sites that put him in the 4.4 range so that's good for me. Wasn't using them as the end all, just the only site I had on tap. Would love to know what Brad Smith's 40 is though, had a buddy that's a Jet fan told me the guy could fly. Or maybe it was take a flying leap....I was tired at the time LOL

Yeah, and McKelvin is faster than all of them. So what does that say? Absolutely nothing until you can show it on the playing field in a real game. I could care less what some guy clocked in a sprint. He isn't going to get it done from a hospital bed, so why even bring him into the equation? When Easley catches his first pass in an NFL game, then maybe you can use him in a comparative form.

PS - Don't know how old you are, but maybe you can remind me how the last experiment in splitting out Roscoe Parrish worked out? How far behind the safety did the speedster get on Smith's bomb?

So you can talk track speed all you want, but other than Stevie there isn't a WR on this roster who has consistently beaten NFL DBs on deep routes (and on this one, I'm even including preseason action against scrubs)

All I know is that makes it 2 sites that put him in the 4.4 range so that's good for me. Wasn't using them as the end all, just the only site I had on tap. Would love to know what Brad Smith's 40 is though, had a buddy that's a Jet fan told me the guy could fly. Or maybe it was take a flying leap....I was tired at the time LOL

I'd prefer to argue about this some more. :thumbsup:

Yeah, and McKelvin is faster than all of them. So what does that say? Absolutely nothing until you can show it on the playing field in a real game. I could care less what some guy clocked in a sprint. He isn't going to get it done from a hospital bed, so why even bring him into the equation? When Easley catches his first pass in an NFL game, then maybe you can use him in a comparative form.

PS - Don't know how old you are, but maybe you can remind me how the last experiment in splitting out Roscoe Parrish worked out? How far behind the safety did the speedster get on Smith's bomb?

So you can talk track speed all you want, but other than Stevie there isn't a WR on this roster who has consistently beaten NFL DBs on deep routes (and on this one, I'm even including preseason action against scrubs)

So what's your point?

The same is true for every team in the league. It's just the nature of the beast. [/font]

Disclaimer: my comment is not to be construed as opining on the Lee Evans situation in any way, shape, or form. From my point of view there is nothing left to be said about Lee Evans other than to wish him the best in Baltimore.

GO BILLS!!!

Of course financial considerations are factored in player transactions for all teams. But the difference is that with Evans and Hangartner, both players from a salary standpoint, fit under the Bills more stringent cap/cash payroll. The players replacing Evans are less talented. Releasing Hangartner hurt the OL from a depth standpoint. My point regarding these two players is simply that their departures were primarily due to financial and not football considerations.

As I have already stated Evans is in a much better situation for himself because he is now with a better run organization. He is now on a team that will probably be in the playoffs and have serious SB aspirations.

Edited by JohnC