Another Lee Evans thread......

Simon

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evans is in a walking boot again today, and didn't practice, which may have had a little to do with lack of production on Sunday.

Hang on - back to the original point. If Evans was not going deep or getting open due to a possible injury, why would he have been the difference maker in the Ravens-Steelers rivalry ? If his reputation caused the Steelers to shift coverage preferentially towards him, then if injured, the Steelers would have seen it and changed coverage. So if Simon's analysis is correct, then he could not have been playing hurt.

i guess i dont understand why the issue is so black and white for you. either hes an all-pro first ballot hall of famer, or hes a decoy with a perpetually empty statline. hes a decent #1, or elite #2.

He has weaknesses, which happen to be things that are very important in the scheme chan wants, and he should shine in baltimore.

to say spiller fills his role, or a guy thats never played a regular season snap does seems far more ridiculous than it does to say hes a good player.

im not even a huge evans fan honestly - player or person. just trying to talk about what he brings to a team.

I think one of the reasons the subject of Evans is so divisive is because there have been times when he's been oversold. TD picked him 13th overall. We were told Evans was to become the Bills' #1 WR. These events created expectations which Evans has not met.

If Evans had been picked in the second round, and if the Bills front office had said "We think we got a very good deep burner and number two WR," then fans would have had far more realistic expectations for him.

Had the initial expectations been established properly, there would not now be this backlash against him. Instead, there would be a general consensus that Evans makes a very good #2 WR/deep burner, but shouldn't be used as a #1. I'd envision fans showing an appreciation for the value a good deep burner brings to the table; while also acknowledging that you don't take a guy like Evans and try to make him your number one.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I think it's safe to say that the reason we didn't see any go routes deep against the Chiefs had less to do with our lack of guys to run the route than it did with Gailey's discomfort with the OLine to this point. It's his M.O. to a tee. He doesn't seem to have the confidence in the OLine to protect on longer developing pass plays. It was noticeable last year as well. That's not to say he won't let Fitz air one out now and then but he won't make it a staple of the offense until the OLine proves they can protect well enough.

GO BILLS!!!

I think it's safe to say that the reason we didn't see any go routes deep against the Chiefs had less to do with our lack of guys to run the route than it did with Gailey's discomfort with the OLine to this point. It's his M.O. to a tee. He doesn't seem to have the confidence in the OLine to protect on longer developing pass plays. It was noticeable last year as well. That's not to say he won't let Fitz air one out now and then but he won't make it a staple of the offense until the OLine proves they can protect well enough.

GO BILLS!!!

This isn't meant to be a challenge or argumentative: were you at the game? Can you say with confidence that there were NO go routes?

Folks used to rail against the play calling for not dialing up the go route for Trent, yet EVERY time I saw the guy play live, it was the case where Trent simply wouldn't throw to those receivers.

In a contest like this past Sunday, there was no NEED to throw to the deep receiver so I"m skeptical that it was something that was simply omitted from the scheme, for whatever reason.

Never has a goose egg in receptions and yards been given such positive attention for a man making #1 receiver money! Face it. Evans was over-rated. The year he had 82 receptions, he was the #2 man.

Evans is a glorified #2 receiver, sliding down to #3.

Look at our last two HBs we let go. Willis' career is pretty much over, Marshawn looks like he is just going through the motions and tired on a really bad team.

This isn't meant to be a challenge or argumentative: were you at the game? Can you say with confidence that there were NO go routes?

Folks used to rail against the play calling for not dialing up the go route for Trent, yet EVERY time I saw the guy play live, it was the case where Trent simply wouldn't throw to those receivers.

In a contest like this past Sunday, there was no NEED to throw to the deep receiver so I"m skeptical that it was something that was simply omitted from the scheme, for whatever reason.

Nope. Wasn't at the game. But I didn't see one attempted deep pass on a fly pattern. Doesn't mean that a player didn't run the route necessarily but Fitz didn't attempt any passes to a player running that pattern. Fitz didn't hold onto the ball very long on most of his passes, nor did he take any deep drops from center that I can remember. Most of his work was from the shotgun on short to medium routes. That tells me that they don't want the OLine having to worry about protecting on longer developing plays. Typical Gailey. Of course we were in very manageable down/distance situations most of the afternoon so we didn't have to force things, either. Again, typical Gailey.

You're right about Edwards. He was afraid to make a mistake and rarely tried a low percentage pass. Fitz will, that's for sure. The fact that he didn't on Sunday again tells me that Gailey has a different philosophy.

GO BILLS!!!

I think one of the reasons the subject of Evans is so divisive is because there have been times when he's been oversold. TD picked him 13th overall. We were told Evans was to become the Bills' #1 WR. These events created expectations which Evans has not met.

If Evans had been picked in the second round, and if the Bills front office had said "We think we got a very good deep burner and number two WR," then fans would have had far more realistic expectations for him.

Had the initial expectations been established properly, there would not now be this backlash against him. Instead, there would be a general consensus that Evans makes a very good #2 WR/deep burner, but shouldn't be used as a #1. I'd envision fans showing an appreciation for the value a good deep burner brings to the table; while also acknowledging that you don't take a guy like Evans and try to make him your number one.

Exactly.

As for backlash against him, he really should've kept his mouth shut after JP got benched.... not the smartest move on his part.

I think you're spot on with your last line.

Unfortunately, I look at the career/resources Andre Johnson has had, then I look at the absolutely SICK numbers hes produced given similar circumstances in Houston and my pity for Lee Evans' potential wanes, considerably.

I wouldn't call the circumstances even close to similar, The Bills had who...Dickhead Jauron & OC's that should never have been OC's vs the Texans who have had Gary Kubiak, the guy who worked as OC under Mike Shanahan, and who is a noted offensive minded HC.

Also Kubiak took over in 2006! Oh, is that the same year that Johnson emerged from 63 catches a season to 103 with David Carr as QB.

Apologies for starting another Evans thread but I thought it might be worth it since a) I'm probably the only dude on this board who actually watched the entire Balt/Pitt game and b)I'm probably the only guy on this board who hasn't missed a single one of those matchups in years since it's my favorite rivalry right now.

Here's the truth of the matter; Lee Evans has significantly altered the entire dynamic of this division rivalry. And I'd guess that these 2 games (and sometimes 3) are the biggest reason they brought him to Baltimore.

I don't care about math and/or whether he put up a single statistic. This game had Evans fingerprints on it right from the get-go. Do you know why Boldin was singled on the first TD vs a weak corner who'd been out all preseason? Because the Stillers rolled their coverage over at Evans. It's right there on the film if you want to see it. Did you know that Baltimore has repeatedly struggled to get their TE's and RB's involved in the passing game against the Stillers, and for many, many years now? Yet on Sunday they found enough space for these guys to catch about a dozen balls for 150+ yards. There were places all over the field where the Ravens have never been able to find space against Pittsburgh(flats and seams), yet now those places are suddenly vacant of defenders. I don't believe for a second that this is just a co-incidence.

For the first time in years, the Ravens have the ability to stretch the field in a big way. And suddenly they have more space to work with all over the field. If y'all think that Evans isn't a significant factor in this new equation, I'd have to say you're badly mistaken on that point.

P.S. This post is not intended to speculate on what Evans' may have done if he was still in Buffalo, or start tangents on why the Bills traded him. Just wanted to bring some light to the ongoing evolution of what I think is a really fascinating matchup. Doug Whaley is taking some grief from his old buddies in Pittsburgh right now because he played a part in altering the balance of power in this rivalry. But don't take any of that guff, Fresh! Give it right back to 'em with both barrels!!!

Simon, I agree with you and the point is 100% correct. Regardless of whether or not he is/was a #1WR other teams HAVE to respect him and his speed so you have a corner and safety paying attention to him. I think most people misunderstand your point. People love stats and catches and TDs which are very important but having a guy that is respected and needs to be respected as a WR is important. It is analogous to a great DT or NT like Ted Williams. The defense here was GREAT and number one or two in the league repeatedly. He was the center of it and despite only getting a sack or two a year and maybe 30-40 tackles he was a beast and helped everyone else around him be better.....someone could say trade him as he is good for only 3 sacks and 35 tackles but they'd be missing the bigger picture. Regardless, Evans is gone, it was a dumb move and it was to save money plain and simple. You cannot make the case Donald Jones is better than Lee Evans. Now, Lee's strength's are not really a good fit for Gailey's offense and I do buy somewhat that was a reason to trade him. But Baltimore players will tell you even if he is not catching many balls he is great for their offense. You have to respect speed guys and they change the defense, we just do not have that aspect in our game now and time will tell if that matters.

If Stevie got 0 receptions for 0 yards, would he have a 9 page long thread?

No, he would just write something retarded on his T-Shirt, get a penalty and hurt the team, get fined and the fans on here would think he was amazing!

Yes, because billsfreak and his gang would have started a thread about how doomed our offense is without the best decoy in the league, and how stupid our FO was.

Never has a goose egg in receptions and yards been given such positive attention for a man making #1 receiver money! Face it. Evans was over-rated. The year he had 82 receptions, he was the #2 man.

Evans is a glorified #2 receiver, sliding down to #3.

Look at our last two HBs we let go. Willis' career is pretty much over, Marshawn looks like he is just going through the motions and tired on a really bad team.

wow your right! (roll eyes) willis is nearly finished, and he only played 8 years as an nfl running back with a nice bunch of stats. most rb's last 2-3 years and some 5-6, but what this has to do for lee evans i have no idea. Lee did do better as a 2, but who wouldnt if you have a great 1 also who can withstand big hits (bouldin, moulds) and let your deep threat be a deep threat.

Only the facts here for you and Dr. Dairystein. Some people here would get a mancrush on David Carr if they brought him in.

Never understood the man crush thing, unless you're gay of course (not speaking of you, just generally). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Never understood the man crush thing, unless you're gay of course (not speaking of you, just generally). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just a figure of speech. In this case, all a player has to do for some people is put a Bills helmet on and he is GOD, doesn't have to accomplish anything, could have been a hated enemy prior to this, but automatically he is great and it is a crime that the rest of the free world doesn't think so.