An alarming stat

The Big Cat

cmjoyce put together a great post/thread about this that shows how much our run D has acutally improved...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/134606-defensive-statistics/

Its clear the Chiefs popped a few good runs BUT the running D had a good game if you simply watched the game or broke down the distribution of the rushes here and there but two things you have to look at

1- When the game was in doubt (Before the Bills opened up a 20 point lead) the Run D was stout.

Out of their 1st 11 rushing attempts we stuffed 10 for gains of 4 or less yards. Only one attempt got them more than 4 yards and that was a 22 yard rush by Charles.

2- Two of their biggest gains on the ground came on one drive and that drive was towards the end of the second half in a passing situation.

On the last 3 rushing plays of the second half the team let up two big runs a 14 yards run and a 23 yard run. And that was it only 5 more rushing attempts none that went for more than 5 yards.

But hey we face another good rushing challenge next week it will be good to see if the Bills can match their performance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should only look at the statistics from the 1st and 2nd quarter.

I'd even argue just the 1st quarter only matters. KC had to abandon the run game early because of the lead.

The Bills shut down the Kansas City Chiefs on the road at Arrowhead. That is an achievement.

The Chiefs are a run first team, and they could not run when it mattered most.

The end.

It's hard to enjoy a win in the NFL. :wallbash:

You can enjoy a win and have constructive criticism, calm down.

Most everyone here is saying "we looked good mostly, there's a reason we got caught on those long plays, we can adjust... everything else looked great"

And Carrington, who was playing LDE for Dareus, took himself out of the play.

As I posted in the other thread, he was playing RDE in place of Merriman from what I saw. The run was "left end" from KC's perspective, against our RDE. Again, I hope someone taped it to provide more detail. There were two big run plays when Carrington was at RDE in the first half. He looked to have difficulty disengaging from his single blocker both times.

I think the Chiefs abandoned the run far too early.

And yes, watching the game, we did a good job smothering them on first down. What was more curious to me was the lack of runs on second down to get into a third and short situations.

If anyone here knows anything about me, I'm HARDLY of the doom and gloom, pee in the corn flakes, spin a win to a negative type poster. That wasn't the point of this thread, though I do understand how it could be interpreted as such.

Our D did look gassed though at times. And I was just wondering if anyone else out there feels as though we might have benefited from some coaching missteps from the Chiefs.

That's all.

The longer runs occurred once we had a 20+ point lead and were running a pass-protection defense. I believe both of those runs were also draws that caught us off-guard since we were rushing the passer. The Chiefs running game did absolutely squat early in the game when it counted and when they were willfully trying to establish it. The 6.0 ypc stat is a misleading and meaningless one - sort of like our 3rd ranked pass defense last year.

This is correct. They were running the ball well once they were in catch-up mode and the Bills were protecting against the big play.

From my untrained eye, the Bills' defenders were in the right gaps yesterday, won their battles most of the time, and didn't miss many (any?) tackles. The D will dramatically improve this year if they stay healthy.

Seriously, stats meant little in this game.

Think about it. Kelsay, Williams and Dareus didn't show up big in the recap, but they put pressure all day. Not only that, many Bills starters were graciously pulled.

Other than the score, if you want a stat that reflected the game it was the T.O.P. The Bills had the ball approx. 15 minutes more than the Chiefs. This is almost always very indicative of dominance.

Six yards per carry.

That's what the Chiefs managed yesterday.

Does anyone else find this stunning?

Even if you take away they're two longest runs, they still come in at 3.9, hardly a "dominating" effort from our guys.

Granted they ran the ball less than 20 times (when was the last time a Bills opponent did THAT?), and when you eliminate they're 22 and 23 yarders, they had a paltry 63 yards on 16 attempts, but I'm left wondering if the run D is as good as we think it was. In a closer game, our guys would have seen A LOT more carries.

Could things have grown ugly?

I posted a similar thought in another thread. If KC didn't panic and start throwing like crazy, and just kept pounding the ball. How would of the run D held up? I didn't think we were setting the edge good enough. The runners were getting around the corners quite a bit. The up middle runs were stopped pretty though. And last year we could not do that.

An alarming stat?? Are you !@#$ing kidding me?!?! You take their two longest runs out and they average 3.9 and you're !@#$ing alarmed? Man I really, really don't miss this place. And you have a football podcast?? Based on your "knowlege" in this post alone woule be like me doing a podcast on physics. What a !@#$ing maroon. :wallbash:

Alarmed after one game where they won 41-7.

Edited by Chef Jim

An alarming stat?? Are you !@#$ing kidding me?!?! You take their two longest runs out and they average 3.9 and you're !@#$ing alarmed? Man I really, really don't miss this place. And you have a football podcast?? Based on your "knowlege" in this post alone woule be like me doing a podcast on physics. What a !@#$ing maroon. :wallbash:

Alarmed after one game where they won 41-7.

Always a pleasure, Chef. Always a pleasure.

Now scurry home, your rock awaits you.

If anyone here knows anything about me, I'm HARDLY of the doom and gloom, pee in the corn flakes, spin a win to a negative type poster. That wasn't the point of this thread, though I do understand how it could be interpreted as such.

haha; could have fooled me. Your original post sounded very doom and gloom--"alarming"...

I thought our run D did well, and was effective stopping KC when it mattered. KC is going to break occasional long runs like that on just about everyone in the league.