Not holding my breath, NGU

NGU - if you're still posting, what are your thoughts on the Bills organizaton in regards to where they're going, whether they are capable of becoming a championship caliber team with things the way they are now, or if the structure in place will prevent that from happening. It seems to me that the Bills are behaving as if they are handicapped by their market, as if they cannot compete, and with that attitude, it is no wonder they haven't. Is there a real chance it could change in the next few years, or is the organization hopeless with Ralph at the helm. What is the opinion from the inside of this league?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly, I am confused. He says Overdorf was not behind the trade. Is that really not an answer, or just not the answer you hoped for?

That is not at all an answer to my question, no. I am very particular about words. I read close. It's my job. And for the fourth time, above, he avoided the answer. It's okay.

I also assume he has good reasons for not answering it specific, and I don't blame him. I'm trying to find something out from a different source, who is a respected poster here, NGU. I heard something specific about that trade that directly conflicts. I don't know who is right, and I will never know because I was not there. That doesn't mean I don't want to find out as much good information as I can to help form or solidify my opinion.

I have an opinion of what happened on the trade, based on a lot of information from both good reliable sources as well as second hand info. I'm not always right and don't expect to be. It's an opinion. I will gladly alter or change or even reverse that opinion should reliable information come up that contradicts what I heard. So far, I asked NGU four separate times if he knows how this specific trade went down. So there is nothing specific to alter what I have already heard from very good sources.

I agree. It is an argument because Jerry Sullivan and several posters on this board have tried to spin this into a "bean counters run the Bills" argument, and the evidence is shaky at best.

I don't completely disagree with that. However the real bean counter is Littman. And most of the truly bad decisions like letting Pat Williams go are on the owner. And it was not as much money as it was he thought he was done. He is just not capable of making good decisions and has not been for quite some time unfortunately.

That is not at all an answer to my question, no. I am very particular about words. I read close. It's my job. And for the fourth time, above, he avoided the answer. It's okay.

I also assume he has good reasons for not answering it specific, and I don't blame him. I'm trying to find something out from a different source, who is a respected poster here, NGU. I heard something specific about that trade that directly conflicts. I don't know who is right, and I will never know because I was not there. That doesn't mean I don't want to find out as much good information as I can to help form or solidify my opinion.

I have an opinion of what happened on the trade, based on a lot of information from both good reliable sources as well as second hand info. I'm not always right and don't expect to be. It's an opinion. I will gladly alter or change or even reverse that opinion should reliable information come up that contradicts what I heard. So far, I asked NGU four separate times if he knows how this specific trade went down. So there is nothing specific to alter what I have already heard from very good sources.

Kelly. I know you don't really beleive what you are saying.

I don't completely disagree with that. However the real bean counter is Littman. And most of the truly bad decisions like letting Pat Williams go are on the owner. And it was not as much money as it was he thought he was done. He is just not capable of making good decisions and has not been for quite some time unfortunately.

Nevergiveup- what I have gathered from this thread is what we all fear; that Ralph is still involved with the day-to-day operations of the franchise. Since this has turned into a Q+A, and since your track record is impeccable, I might as well go with the big one. Do you have any knowledge of the long term plans of the franchise? Is Ralph to be taken at his word, that they will go up for sale upon his passing, or is there more to it than that?

I think there is a well-established past history of the owner making bad decisions. However, can you comment on how often the owner is intervening in decisions under the current regime, as opposed to prior GMs - at least based on what you have heard?

NGU - if you're still posting, what are your thoughts on the Bills organizaton in regards to where they're going, whether they are capable of becoming a championship caliber team with things the way they are now, or if the structure in place will prevent that from happening. It seems to me that the Bills are behaving as if they are handicapped by their market, as if they cannot compete, and with that attitude, it is no wonder they haven't. Is there a real chance it could change in the next few years, or is the organization hopeless with Ralph at the helm. What is the opinion from the inside of this league?

You are just looking at a complete rebuild via the draft. At some point they will add legit free agents, but you are probably at least 2 years away from that. You can only hope that Buddy is as good at judging talent as some think.

Unfortunately it is always a little hopeless with Ralph. You never no when or where he will interject himself with devastating results.

I think there is a well-established past history of the owner making bad decisions. However, can you comment on how often the owner is intervening in decisions under the current regime, as opposed to prior GMs - at least based on what you have heard?

Less than he was. But anything at his age is too much.

So you started with telling jw what he does and doesn't know, and now you're telling me what I think? I happen to believe every word of what I just posted.

OK. don;t stop Billieving.

So you started with telling jw what he does and doesn't know, and now you're telling me what I think? I happen to believe every word of what I just posted.

All I said is that if he though Overdorf was "behind" the trade he was wrong. If not, then we had nothing to argue about in the first place. Maybe you knwo more than me, But I doubt it.

Thanks for your reply:)

How can guys like Nix and Gailey stand that type of environment - and it surely explains why no one of real reputation is interested in coming here for coaching or management positions. Does Ralph, or would Ralph, in your opinion, ever just go all in on trying to get a championship before he's gone, or is it just a business in his perspective?

I didn't login for a few hours and just sw this conflagration. For some strange reason, I feel compelled to ask for white flags to be waved all around. I am sure I speak for many posters on this board when I say that we value both John W and NGU's contribution to this board. Whatever the truth is regarding the general power structure and the happenings around Evans' departure, is there any way you guys can just walk away with your heads held high ? As we respect you, perhaps showing the same to each other may calm tempers around here.

Again, thanks for your contributions. More proof that we are all passionate fans. I am done, now I go to drink. Safe weekend to all and a Happy Labor Day.

Nevergiveup- what I have gathered from this thread is what we all fear; that Ralph is still involved with the day-to-day operations of the franchise. Since this has turned into a Q+A, and since your track record is impeccable, I might as well go with the big one. Do you have any knowledge of the long term plans of the franchise? Is Ralph to be taken at his word, that they will go up for sale upon his passing, or is there more to it than that?

I don't know and there is probably only 2 people that do. But my opinion, if Kelly thinks it has any value, is that is goes up for sale.

You are just looking at a complete rebuild via the draft. At some point they will add legit free agents, but you are probably at least 2 years away from that. You can only hope that Buddy is as good at judging talent as some think.

Unfortunately it is always a little hopeless with Ralph. You never no when or where he will interject himself with devastating results.

Russ Brandon? Is that you, Russ?

How can guys like Nix and Gailey stand that type of environment - and it surely explains why no one of real reputation is interested in coming here for coaching or management positions. Does Ralph, or would Ralph, in your opinion, ever just go all in on trying to get a championship before he's gone, or is it just a business in his perspective?

He would at the right time. However in his mind who knows when that would be.

Regarding Chan and Buddy. Do you think they would get HC and GM jobs else where? They are not in a position to pass on those jobs.

I didn't login for a few hours and just sw this conflagration. For some strange reason, I feel compelled to ask for white flags to be waved all around. I am sure I speak for many posters on this board when I say that we value both John W and NGU's contribution to this board. Whatever the truth is regarding the general power structure and the happenings around Evans' departure, is there any way you guys can just walk away with your heads held high ? As we respect you, perhaps showing the same to each other may calm tempers around here.

Again, thanks for your contributions. More proof that we are all passionate fans. I am done, now I go to drink. Safe weekend to all and a Happy Labor Day.

Good call. I am off that subject. Sorry for bringing it up.

The voice of reason....I was trying to gin up a post like this but you said it best.

He would at the right time. However in his mind who knows when that would be.

What is Mr. Wilsons health status? There was a video back in the spring from OBD that appeared he was using a walker based on the position of his arms. (My primary job is working at health care facilities and hospitals so I recognized the stance.) Does he have a full time health care provider?

I'm not sure how "access" equates to "inside" information.

Based on my experience, which includes speaking regularly to the press on behalf of my employer, it's difficult to believe anyone employed by a competent business (other than a whistleblower) would ever give inside info to a reporter.

But, then again, we're talking about the Bills...

Len Pasquarelli seemed to defend Donahoe an awful lot. Don't think that was a coincidence.

You've practically answered your own question. Brandon went underground to find a GM in late November/December 2009 and Nix admitted he wasn't contacted about the job until about a week before he was hired (circa 12/23/09). What was Mr. Smithers doing all that time aside from getting to talk to Shanahan? I suspect asking for other interviews and getting turned down at every corner. This happened again when Nix started to look for a HC. He was turned down by no less than 4 candidates, Jim Harbaugh, Ron Rivera, Russ Grimm, Brian Schottenheimer, and then Leslie Frazier pulled his name from consideration.

The GM and HC search, IMO, illustrates how the rest of the NFL thinks about the Bills. Some can't fathom that a HC or GM job isn't attractive beyond less than in-demand candidates, but how else can these hires be explained?

I am not hear to rile anyone up. I stand by my record. If John Warrow has a history of posting accurate inside information, I would love to hear about it. Of course someone could have told him that Jim Overdorf was behind that trade. For him to believe and report it shows he knows less about the inner workings of that organization than most of the people on the board. Your relationships there are superficial at best and I am quite confident that no one is feeding you any legitimate inside information. If it was someone outside the team, like Lee's or his agent, you should know better. Amazing that you all of a sudden have a pipeline into the team that would disclose something like that. More importantly it is completely inaccurate. Go ahead and stand by your report if it makes you feel better, but to believe it is hopefully just ignorance and not worse.

He comes the journalistic integrity battle cry. Yes I am sure you are completely above reproach. And not revealing my identity does not make me wrong. I think I have been pretty accurate in the past.

I apologize to the board. I am not trying to drive away someone you might want to pariticpate. However if you think you are getting inside info from him or anyone of the other beat writers for this team, you are wrong.

You are right. I could have handled it better and should not have gone down the road. Now that I have, I stand by what I said regarding him having inside info. Do you really think anyone is confiding in any of these guys? The only one that might get anything is Gaughn. You don't have to believe but that is the reality of the situation. I can see why he is upset, but you get seond hand info and specualtiona at best from these guys. That is just the reality of the situation.

Not sure why today is the day to weigh in. In retrospect, it sounds like I called out the report for no reason. If he only reprted that overdorf handled the trade, there is no inaccuracy. However he should have clarified that he was not behind it.

Okay ... now you're just being an aszhole. And a coward. If you do work for the Bills (and it's clear that you do) I have lost total respect for how that front office does business. If there was any left in the first place.

First you call out a man for doing his job and claim his report is inaccurate. Now you admit you never even read the report in the first place -- or at the very least failed to understand the language in which it was written.

You're a joke. You get inside info and you post it on here to feel better about yourself and then you slander someone who makes their living at this without offering a shred of proof or even your name. You needlessly throw a man under the bus while hiding behind shield of wanna-be-tough-guy cowards everywhere: anonymous internet posting. This isn't like flaming a bad poster. This is calling out someone's profession.

And you choose the most cowardly, back handed way to go about this.

Eff off.

Edited by tgreg99

I guess that speaks volumes.

I am happy and much obliged that you provided all that you did, and I mean it sincerely. I believe the vast majority of what you say, which puts you right at the top of all the people I know. ;) But you chose not to answer that question, when you for the most part answered all others, and I am an opinionated person, as are you.

Kelly, I'm intrigued by a third piece of info in this mystery: the info you received from someone in the organization. Is there any way you can expand on that? I don't want you to betray confidences but if you could shed some light on what side of the organization your source is in maybe? Football side? Business side?

GO BILLS!!!

Oh. I got one thing wrong? Now that is funny.

well, actually, two but who's counting as you still can't spell my name right.

i really hate to break it to you, but i've never claimed to be a know-all and be-all.

the only question i have left is why would you come out write what you did in regards to me. it was so blatantly off the wall and provoke-driven that it's really put both of us in a bad light. and yet you persist with these ham-handed comments in regards to me and my colleagues.

it makes me wonder if you have any inside information at all, or whether someone has cracked your password in accessing this board.

you come off sounding more like that Jets fan "seeking a trader," than someone who built a very good reputation on this board, only to throw it away with these handgrenade rants about me and everyone else not knowing anything.

it's really sad.

jw

How many more games do you win with him this year?

Are they a better team with Evans?

Do the fans deserve the best team that the Bills can field?

If Evans was instrumental in providing one more win than they'll get do you think the fans deserve that win?

What is the overall philosophy of the Bills front office when it comes to fielding the best possible product for Bills fans to enjoy?

How many rebuilding efforts do you suppose we'll have to endure before it gets done right?

29th in payroll does not tell me that the organization is interested in winning over higher profits.