Thigpen

'kay, when Thigpen started practice then 1st two games, seems I read a lot of "throws a beautiful spiral" "better arm than Fitz" "more mobile than Fitz" "did better than Fitz".

What I saw on Saturday, I wasn't too impressed. Frankly, I thought Levi Brown looked better.

Now granted, they battled back from a deficit, they tied the game, and it's only a snapshot.

I'm glad we signed him as a backup, but I'm nowhere ready to move the depth chart even if Fitz lays an egg in a game or two.

What's the group wisdom on Thigpen at this point?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Thigpen would play pretty good with our starters. His throws are off but it might just be a timing thing from what he's not used to. Different recievers running different routes and at different speeds. If he was the starter he would be fine. That doesn't mean I want him in at all. Fitz is a better QB and knows this offense.

IMO Thigpen would play pretty good with our starters. His throws are off but it might just be a timing thing from what he's not used to. Different recievers running different routes and at different speeds. If he was the starter he would be fine. That doesn't mean I want him in at all. Fitz is a better QB and knows this offense.

The throw that got picked off in the endzone has nothing to do with playing with the 1st team offense. Inexcusable to make that throw. If it wasn't for the defense forcing a turnover on the ensuing possession, the Bills would've never been in position to win the game.

I think Thigpen has some great tangibles, like his scrambling ability, which is superior to Fitz's, but all-in-all, I would prefer to see him relegated to a back-up role.

i think he got better as the game wore on.with no ota's or mini camps he will come along. keep your eye on brad smith!!!

Fair enough. I keep finding myself thinking of Brian Brohm, all the stuff at the end of last preseason about how he was ready to take his step and lead the team.

Then when he got in a game, granted a tough game - um, no Brian, you're not actually.

Thigpen >> Brohm - Thig has shown he can play in the NFL - but he did come in with some quotes about "competing" and "it's Fitz's team FOR NOW" (emphasis mine).

Thigpen has to come along a bit more to "walk the talk" there.

He's never been particularly accurate, so I don't know why folks think that will start now. 54% for his career and a pretty average TD-Int ratio. He's a career backup with some nice wheels to get out of trouble once in a while... but I'd be worried if Fitz goes down... personally, I don't think we can win with Thigpen.

I think it's unrealistic to expect your backup to be as good or better than your starter - and, after last season's...ahem...'open competition' :rolleyes: , I'm happy to start the season with no QB controversy.

Thig is a competent NFL backup QB, but he is what he is - namely, Fitz's backup. Realize it, embrace it. (And hope like hell Fitz stays healthy! B-) )

You may be right.

Everyone who is all upset over Thigpen's preseason needs to remember that he had no pre-preseason with the Bills due to the lockout. He's only been with the team a few weeks.

Also, they should go back to the late 1980s before Frank Reich played in a real game. He looked horrible in preseason & was so bad the Bills left him unprotected in Plan B free agency before the 1989 season & nobody wanted to sign him.

Until the backup QB plays with & against starters, his performance in preseason games can't properly be evaluated by fans. Fortunately, the coaches see these guys every day and have a lot more information in evaluating players. That's one reason that you can't use preseason performances to latch onto a guy or write him off because there's so much more going on that we never will see.

You may be right.

Everyone who is all upset over Thigpen's preseason needs to remember that he had no pre-preseason with the Bills due to the lockout. He's only been with the team a few weeks.

Also, they should go back to the late 1980s before Frank Reich played in a real game. He looked horrible in preseason & was so bad the Bills left him unprotected in Plan B free agency before the 1989 season & nobody wanted to sign him.

Until the backup QB plays with & against starters, his performance in preseason games can't properly be evaluated by fans. Fortunately, the coaches see these guys every day and have a lot more information in evaluating players. That's one reason that you can't use preseason performances to latch onto a guy or write him off because there's so much more going on that we never will see.

That's an excellent point about Reich. I think thigpen is a fine backup who, with more practice time, can step in and give us a chance if need be. I liked the way he played on the chiefs in 08, he's got some gumption.

He's never been particularly accurate, so I don't know why folks think that will start now. 54% for his career and a pretty average TD-Int ratio. He's a career backup with some nice wheels to get out of trouble once in a while... but I'd be worried if Fitz goes down... personally, I don't think we can win with Thigpen.

wait - which one are you talking about?

I think folks reactions say a lot more about their unreasonable expectations than it does about Thigpen's ability to play role he is going to be called upon to play for the Bills.

If things work as Gailey plans and hopes then we will only see Thiggy walking the sideline or potentially in a mop-up role. His past history and even his less than desirable play on Saturday indicates he is quite capable of playing that role.

In fact, his performance on Sat. is likely just what the Bills needed as the most important thing he can do for this team is NOT to create a QB controversy which Jerry Sullivan and WGR seem to live for as it helps them fill column inches and sell air time for commercials, but really is mindless drivel that distracts the team for the most part.

Thigpen most needs to help the Bills not give up hope when Ftizy goes down which is quite possible with this OL or has a bad game which is a virtual certainty in this game. I feel good that he was able to hang in there and the team ultimately prevailed in this meaningless game.

Playing the Frank Reich role of being a credible replacement for 3 games max is about as much as one should reasonably hope for. His past history as an NFL starter and history of some success in a Gailey system means a lot more to me than his pre-season disaster, In fact, if only because it does not encourage Sully to blather on about bring in Thigpen I am not displeased with his sorry but ultimately winning performance.

Pigpen is horrible. Inexcusable picks, unbelievably poor accuracy. Honestly, I wish they'd cut him. Piggy is not a #2 QB in the NFL.

Yeah, he was horrible 2 years ago when he was the 3rd best player in fantasy over the last 8 games. Sure, fantasy means nothing, but he played great. Youre assesment is based off of what? what he's done in 3 weeks without mini camps, playing with a bunch of guys who won't be in the league a week from now? Im not calling him a great qb, all I'm saying is we don't know what we have at this point. Let him settle in for over a month before you crucify him. Geez