Kyle Williams Extended

Astrobot

This is not a good deal for Williams when compared to what he's worth on the open market. It's admirable that Williams took less to stay with the Bills but his agent definitely had a case for a far more lucrative deal. He got less guaranteed money than Derrick Dockery!

Hey I'm happy from the team's standpoint but if I were Williams, I'd fire my agent. :)

Kyle had two years left on his contract. In order to get what he is worth on the open market, he would have had to play out those two years, and make a total of 3.6 mil for them from the Bills. He got four years added on for 35 more million, which he may not have got two years from now at 30. That's about 9 mil a year. The franchise tag for the top five DTs last year was 7 mil.

It was a very good deal for Kyle Williams, too, getting 39 mil with 17 mil guaranteed two years before your deal is up.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is not a good deal for Williams when compared to what he's worth on the open market. It's admirable that Williams took less to stay with the Bills but his agent definitely had a case for a far more lucrative deal. He got less guaranteed money than Derrick Dockery!

Hey I'm happy from the team's standpoint but if I were Williams, I'd fire my agent. :)

It just means that Kyle Williams doesnt think he is good enough to warrant a big contract. The guy has a confidence problem and it is rubbing off on the rest of the team. We should cut him now.

[/sarcasm]

(Too soon???)

It's tough though cause then he's more of a sure thing, costing you more #1 money. Or he says screw it let's wait till after the season and gets ridiculous money on the open market.

It is a tough spot.

This will be the first time for Johnson being the #1 WR and nobody knows how he will do in that position.

However, Johnson is only one of two veteran WR's on the team with starting capability, and waiting to give him a contract when he becomes a UFA, is to risky.

It is a tough spot.

This will be the first time for Johnson being the #1 WR and nobody knows how he will do in that position.

However, Johnson is only one of two veteran WR's on the team with starting capability, and waiting to give him a contract when he becomes a UFA, is to risky.

What I think they will do, like with Fitz, is start talking to him now, and begin the process, feeling each other out. All negotiations, obviously, take some time and some give and take. The season starts in two weeks though. We will likely be able to see after a month or so of games, how Stevie has been playing (and it doesn't really have anything to do with stats because it may take us awhile to get going on offense). It should be clear halfway through the year if he is capable of the #1 gig, which is when the serious negotiations will likely start.

The Bills have to re-sign one or two more players before the end of the season to get up to the cash to the cap restrictions on the league. One more significant deal would probably do it.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

What I think they will do, like with Fitz, is start talking to him now, and begin the process, feeling each other out. All negotiations, obviously, take some time and some give and take. The season starts in two weeks though. We will likely be able to see after a month or so of games, how Stevie has been playing (and it doesn't really have anything to do with stats because it may take us awhile to get going on offense). It should be clear halfway through the year if he is capable of the #1 gig, which is when the serious negotiations will likely start.

The Bills have to re-sign one or two more players before the end of the season to get up to the cash to the cap restrictions on the league. One more significant deal would probably do it.

If he does so well in the first half of the season, why wouldnt he just wait out the rest of the year and see what he can do on the market? Worst case for him, it gives him bargaining chips against the Bills. Driving the cost up either way.

They need to make a substantial offer soon, and get it done.

Kyle had two years left on his contract. In order to get what he is worth on the open market, he would have had to play out those two years, and make a total of 3.6 mil for them from the Bills. He got four years added on for 35 more million, which he may not have got two years from now at 30. That's about 9 mil a year. The franchise tag for the top five DTs last year was 7 mil.

It was a very good deal for Kyle Williams, too, getting 39 mil with 17 mil guaranteed two years before your deal is up.

This makes complete sense. Kyle ought to be very happy with this deal.

Great deal. I hope they do something to take care of Freddie a little bit now. I know he is on the wrong side of 30, but the man has contributed and deserves to ride off in the sunset having made more money playing for the Bills than Aaron Maybin did.

+1 for Buddy. -4 overall however

1)Drafting a luxury RB when we had two

2)Not trading a RB out of our clusterd backfield during the offseason, creating a mess for the first 4-5 games last year

3)Giving Kelsay big money because I'm sure other teams were lining up to pay him due to his excellent production, and delcicious peach cobbler pies

4)Trading Lee for a 4th, players question if this team wants to win now

5)Not addressing the O-line, our biggest hole for the last 10 years

All the LB signings look good on paper, but we will see what this season brings us.

+1 for Buddy. -4 overall however

1)Drafting a luxury RB when we had two

2)Not trading a RB out of our clusterd backfield during the offseason, creating a mess for the first 4-5 games last year

3)Giving Kelsay big money because I'm sure other teams were lining up to pay him due to his excellent production, and delcicious peach cobbler pies

4)Trading Lee for a 4th, players question if this team wants to win now

5)Not addressing the O-line, our biggest hole for the last 10 years

All the LB signings look good on paper, but we will see what this season brings us.

Hopefully we can add drafting Dareus to the list of positives.

Help me understand though...trading Evans is a negative before we see the results, but we aren't allowed to judge signing Merriman, Barnett and Morrison? Kinda seems like you're cherry picking.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Where was Pat Williams's big contract? *sigh* Still galls me we lost him... :(

And Winfield too....

Winfield has been very good for the Vikes, unlike Clements who was cut by the 49ers recently.

Imagine having Pat William anchor that line and Dick LeBeau running that 3-4 defense with London Fletcher playing the middle...that was a playoff caliber defense.

And as luck would have it, for the Bills, it will become like the Jauron situation....These players will shine the first 6 weeks forcing the Bills to pay them and then will end up as Duds rest of the season as the weather and the AFC East catches up with us :-)

I would like to see extensions for Steve, Fitz, Fred. McKelvin if he really has an outstanding year then can negotiate at the end of the year.

However, I think Fred's extension will be purely based on how Spiller is going to perform. If Spiller is a Dud, then the leverage is with Fred....However, if SPiller performs well (unlikely scenario with the horrible OL and lack of instincts/patience in Spiller), the leverage is going to be with the Bills. Freddy is really in a tough spot.

I am as big a critic of Jim Overdorf as anyone. It's possible, although this is a rumor on the level of Pat Moran, that he is the anti-Christ.

But since I badmouth him so much, and he has received so much vitriol here and elsewhere in the last week especially, I feel it is only fair to give him kudos for the Kyle Williams deal. It seems to me to be fair to both side. Great deal for the Bills, and a great deal for Kyle considering that he would have to wait two years to test the open market. I know there is already a Kyle extension thread, but I thought that since The Devil gets so much crud, and deservedly so, for his blunders and terrible decisions, that he should also get credit when credit is due.

The Morrison signing, although it was only one year and happened due to Torbor's injury, was also sweet, IMO.

I don't expect it to last, but it may, as we try to re-sign Stevie, Fitz and Fred.

If we re-sign stevie, and some more rookies/young players start to pan out, I might actually feel better about this team. If we start keeping the few good players we have, then something good might happen eventually. it is just annoying we have to keep starting from scratch.

A lot of people bash the bills for looking too much at "character," but to me, this team needs strong character in its players to make it work. Players like peters and lynch really could have helped build this team. But lynch just had too many run ins with the law and didn't want to be here. And peters wanted WAY more than he was worth and didn't want to be here. They were talented, but unreasonable and unloyal. If they had better character with some loyalty (like williams) then they really could have helped us, instead of just leaving another hole for us to fill. If the bills were a major team like the jets and pats* then maybe they could keep the talented, but poor character players around. But when you are the bills, the poor character players always want to be in a bigger city with the spotlight.

Stevie seems to be like williams, and I hope I am right about that. So far he has said he isn't going to demand a big contract right now and knows he has to prove himself again this year if we wants a payday. And he seems to want to stay in buffalo. I hope we are able to grab more players like williams and stevie. Talented, and strong character.

I am as big a critic of Jim Overdorf as anyone. It's possible, although this is a rumor on the level of Pat Moran, that he is the anti-Christ.

But since I badmouth him so much, and he has received so much vitriol here and elsewhere in the last week especially, I feel it is only fair to give him kudos for the Kyle Williams deal. It seems to me to be fair to both side. Great deal for the Bills, and a great deal for Kyle considering that he would have to wait two years to test the open market. I know there is already a Kyle extension thread, but I thought that since The Devil gets so much crud, and deservedly so, for his blunders and terrible decisions, that he should also get credit when credit is due.

The Morrison signing, although it was only one year and happened due to Torbor's injury, was also sweet, IMO.

I don't expect it to last, but it may, as we try to re-sign Stevie, Fitz and Fred.

If the big gaff is trading lee- I'll begrudgingly accept this offseason. Love the Barnett, merriman, Morrison deals. Thigpen was the right fit. Love smith. Chased clabo without being dumb.wouldve liked zack miller but I can't say I know the end goal, or if they quietly tried. Dareus was the right pick. All in all- making the right choices, even if some fall through

Edited by NoSaint