** HURRICANE PREPARATION: NEED ADVICE **

truth on hold

Beer, definitely beer

And please stay off your roof. It may sound like a good idea to sit and chill and watch the storm from your roof, but it is quite dangerous. The winds are strong and quite unpredictable. With the New York skyline they'll be swirling even more unpredictably.

Tie down (or bring inside) any outdoor furniture on your roof, or anything else that could get loose and become a projectile.

Stock up on water. Fill any containers you have for drinking water. Fill up your bath tub, in case you lose water you'll need something to flush the toilet with.

Make ice. If you should lose power the ice will help keep whatever is in the fridge or freezer cold a while longer

Stock up on batteries and flashlights. Avoid candles, you may fall asleep or get distracted at some point and do not want an unattended open flame

Get a battery operated radio.

Make sure your gas tank is full. If power goes out the pumps won't work.

Hit the ATM now. If the power goes out you can't use a credit card.

Have some books on hand for reading, puzzle books, soduku, crosswords, etc. If power goes out you'll want something to pass the time

Edited by /dev/null

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Virginia Beach. All of the tracking models show I will get crushed. I live on the 11th floor of my apartment. Heres what I have going:

4 flashlights and some batteries.

3 cases of beer. Power should go out here Saturday night. So Saturday I will fill my washing machine with ice and this beer. Keeps it cold, and when power returns, spin cycle gets rid of the water.

12 bottles of red wine.

12 gallons of water.

Saturday I will fill one of my bathtubs with water. This is to put in the back of the toilet to flush it.

A case of canned food with the pry off tops.

Baby wipes.

My car full of gas solely to use to charge electronic devices (iphone for music, ipad for movies)

Cash. Chinese restaurants open before the tropical storm winds even go away, they use propane. Cash always spends.

I live in quake territory and if a big one that hits that cuts the water lines, I was told to do the bolded line first thing before the water stops flowing.

:unsure:

hmmm...don't open your windows.

Hey, I'm in the same boat, I'm in SE Connecticut...we'll be getting 75-95 mph winds, and my house is surrounded by giant oaks...I'm !@#$ed.

Good luck! Those oaks probably seen the last one! Was it in the 1940's or 1950's? I want to say the storm began with an "A"... Maybe before they started naming them? I vaguely remember my father talking about it... He worked on the Erie-Lakawanna back in the day... He talked about a hurricane that came up the seaboard and debris wrecked tracks and structures... I think the Delaware-Lackawanna infrastructure was affected... Anybody know the storm/name/year? Really wrecked havoc on the east coast...

???

Again... Good luck! Just noticed the cone is swiping right up the whole coast... Times like this, I am glad I am in the midwest!

Better pick up a playboy when you're out. No internet if the power goes out. You'll have to kick it old school.

:lol: Jeeze Louise! That is funny

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'm in Virginia Beach. All of the tracking models show I will get crushed. I live on the 11th floor of my apartment. Heres what I have going:

4 flashlights and some batteries.

3 cases of beer. Power should go out here Saturday night. So Saturday I will fill my washing machine with ice and this beer. Keeps it cold, and when power returns, spin cycle gets rid of the water.

12 bottles of red wine.

12 gallons of water.

Saturday I will fill one of my bathtubs with water. This is to put in the back of the toilet to flush it.

A case of canned food with the pry off tops.

Baby wipes.

My car full of gas solely to use to charge electronic devices (iphone for music, ipad for movies)

Cash. Chinese restaurants open before the tropical storm winds even go away, they use propane. Cash always spends.

Good calls Steve. Did not know you were in VA Beach..hope yiu are enjoying it.

It seems like half the population of VABeach coming to my house this weekend. I am west end of Richmond, we should only be getting 20-40 MPH winds and 3-5 inches..in other words nothing like the beach. Feel free to come on up and join the party :thumbsup:

Edited by plenzmd1

Went through Fran when I lived in NC. Many good suggestions already noted. Don't wait to get your ice - get it now. Ice making companies won't be able to make it while the power is down and it will take them a while to process it. Prepare as if the power is going to be down for a while. We did not have power for 10 days. I had 2 rechargable camping lanterns that I took into work to charge up. Electric razor - get a standard one. Battery powered radio. I had a camping stove that used the small propane bottles. Used it to make spagetti, heat water to wash up (electric hot water heater). Charge up you phone, iPod now and power it off when not using it. In other word, look around at what may use electicity and get it charged up if you think you are going to need it.

For those of you that are using portable generators - keep an eye out for the electric company. Generator will back charge the line and could cause issues to the repair team.

Go to the local hardware store. Get the biggest screw hook they have. Then pick up about 10 feet of chain. Then go to your local outdoor supply store and get two carabiners, not those cheap $1 keychain style, real mountain climbing ones. Go back home to your roof deck, attach the screw hook to a roof beam, use one carabiner to attach one end of the chain to that. Then wrap the other end of the chain around your waist, getting it as tight as you can, and use the other carabiner like a belt buckle on the chain. Write a note with your name and next of kin and pin it to your clothes, and don't forget the beer and lawn chair. Sit back and wait for the show!

Mead will be down shortly to help you survive.

If he had 2 cases I might consider.

Wife and I are heading out to the game. I will have some Stromboli with us.

Good luck! Those oaks probably seen the last one! Was it in the 1940's or 1950's? I want to say the storm began with an "A"... Maybe before they started naming them? I vaguely remember my father talking about it... He worked on the Erie-Lakawanna back in the day... He talked about a hurricane that came up the seaboard and debris wrecked tracks and structures... I think the Delaware-Lackawanna infrastructure was affected... Anybody know the storm/name/year? Really wrecked havoc on the east coast...

???

Again... Good luck! Just noticed the cone is swiping right up the whole coast... Times like this, I am glad I am in the midwest!

:lol: Jeeze Louise! That is funny

Yeah, we get stuck with tornadoes here in Illinois. Also, if you lived further south like I do (Springfield) you are near the New Madrid Fault Line. So if the twisters don't get us the earthquakes will!

Make sure to have a regular phone you can plug in. Cordless won't work without power, and Cell towers will be down.

+1

Alot of folks have abandoned POTS for cell, VOIP (Vonage/Magic Jack), and Skype. Cell service gets disrupted during storms and VOIP + Skype depend on computer equipment which depends on having electricity.

If you no longer have a landline, find out which of your neighbors still has a land line or locate the nearest payphone (which are getting harder and harder to find)

I live in downtown NYC, top floor of 5 story building w/ roof deck. I have storage items in the basement. What should I do in preparation to ...

a) roofdeck

b) basement

c) 5th floor

My first time being involved in a hurricane of any kind so I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Some good advice from our local TV site...

http://www.wral.com/weather/hurricanes/story/3281970/

Make sure to have a regular phone you can plug in. Cordless won't work without power, and Cell towers will be down.

And if you have VoIP it won't matter whether you have a cordless phone - no power = no Internet = no phone......

Another good tip I heard - if phones are down and you have to use cell phone the cell towers could be hard to come by but in many cases you should be able to send/receive text messages. Texting will also use less power than making a voice call if you're trying to save battery.

When the quake hit D.C. this week the only way I could communicate with my mother was text but it worked great.

+1

Alot of folks have abandoned POTS for cell, VOIP (Vonage/Magic Jack), and Skype. Cell service gets disrupted during storms and VOIP + Skype depend on computer equipment which depends on having electricity.

If you no longer have a landline, find out which of your neighbors still has a land line or locate the nearest payphone (which are getting harder and harder to find)

During Frances and Jeanne down here in Fla., they shut down many cell towers and restricted them to National Guard and Law Enforcement use for several days.