** HURRICANE PREPARATION: NEED ADVICE **

truth on hold

I live in downtown NYC, top floor of 5 story building w/ roof deck. I have storage items in the basement. What should I do in preparation to ...

a) roofdeck

b) basement

c) 5th floor

My first time being involved in a hurricane of any kind so I appreciate any help.

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in downtown NYC, top floor of 5 story building w/ roof deck. I have storage items in the basement. What should I do in preparation to ...

a) roofdeck

b) basement

c) 5th floor

My first time being involved in a hurricane of any kind so I appreciate any help.

Thanks

get your **** off the deck, get your **** out of the basement. Which direction do your windows face? The wind will be coming from the south/east...

Get some pallets and get your **** off the ground in the basement. Anything of real value i would haul up into your apartment. Other than that, not much you can do. Buy a case of water, a couple of cases of beer, and hold onto your ass.

mostly south w/ some eastern ones in an alley. also some skylights

:unsure:

hmmm...don't open your windows.

Hey, I'm in the same boat, I'm in SE Connecticut...we'll be getting 75-95 mph winds, and my house is surrounded by giant oaks...I'm !@#$ed.

:unsure:

hmmm...don't open your windows.

Hey, I'm in the same boat, I'm in SE Connecticut...we'll be getting 75-95 mph winds, and my house is surrounded by giant oaks...I'm !@#$ed.

If you don't have DirectTV yet, this might clear the way :devil:

That's what I was thinking. Roof access? Get up there and enjoy the storm!!

Yep. But take extra ice; saltwater is hell on a cooler!

get your **** off the deck, get your **** out of the basement. Which direction do your windows face? The wind will be coming from the south/east...

The wind will actually come from multiple directions throughout the course of the storm. Could easily be the north/west if the eye shifts a 100 miles. Don't bank on what you think the storm will do, prepare all sides.

If you don't have DirectTV yet, this might clear the way :devil:

Now, that is pretty friggen funny!!!

Nervous Guys..those okas can stand a lot of wind depending on the soil condition. I have a ton of 50-85 ft oaks in my yard, we got a direct hit from Isabelle back in the day, they were all good.The willows OTOH were cooked..roots to close to the surface and lost two of those.

For Joe, i too am of the opinion get your ass on the roof and watch this thing. I was grilling during Isabelle under my deck, just awesome

Nervous Guys..those okas can stand a lot of wind depending on the soil condition. I have a ton of 50-85 ft oaks in my yard, we got a direct hit from Isabelle back in the day, they were all good.The willows OTOH were cooked..roots to close to the surface and lost two of those.

Well, that's reassuring, these are some big assed oaks and probably have been around through many a hurricane over the years!! Just all this hurricane talk makes me a little...well you know.

I'm in Virginia Beach. All of the tracking models show I will get crushed. I live on the 11th floor of my apartment. Heres what I have going:

4 flashlights and some batteries.

3 cases of beer. Power should go out here Saturday night. So Saturday I will fill my washing machine with ice and this beer. Keeps it cold, and when power returns, spin cycle gets rid of the water.

12 bottles of red wine.

12 gallons of water.

Saturday I will fill one of my bathtubs with water. This is to put in the back of the toilet to flush it.

A case of canned food with the pry off tops.

Baby wipes.

My car full of gas solely to use to charge electronic devices (iphone for music, ipad for movies)

Cash. Chinese restaurants open before the tropical storm winds even go away, they use propane. Cash always spends.

Go to the local hardware store. Get the biggest screw hook they have. Then pick up about 10 feet of chain. Then go to your local outdoor supply store and get two carabiners, not those cheap $1 keychain style, real mountain climbing ones. Go back home to your roof deck, attach the screw hook to a roof beam, use one carabiner to attach one end of the chain to that. Then wrap the other end of the chain around your waist, getting it as tight as you can, and use the other carabiner like a belt buckle on the chain. Write a note with your name and next of kin and pin it to your clothes, and don't forget the beer and lawn chair. Sit back and wait for the show!

12 bottles of red wine.

Mead will be down shortly to help you survive.