** HURRICANE PREPARATION: NEED ADVICE **

truth on hold

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the analysis didferent for tornadoes vs hurricanes ?

Uh, because tornadoes and hurricanes are different? Tornadoes have a significantly lower and more sudden drop in air pressure, so people think that as a tornado passes over a house, the drop in pressure outside causes an overpressure inside and causes the windows to blow out and/or house to explode (like an expanding balloon). Hurricanes have a much smaller pressure drop, and much less sudden...while theoretically if a tornado passes over your house you might have a difference of 1.5psi in pressure between inside and outside, you're never going to see that with a hurricane (simply because the pressure drop isn't that sudden).

Not to mention that the idea is complete nonsense - houses are not balloons. They're not air tight (not even close). You don't get meaningful pressure imbalances between indoors and outdoors, no matter how quickly the atmospheric pressure drops. The only thing opening your windows accomplishes is that it gets all your **** wet (and lets the wind in, which can cause shear forces on the house from the interior, which CAN structurally damage it - lift the roof off pretty easily, which is kinda important because the roof kinda holds the walls together.)

Bottom line - unless you've got some really ****ty single-pane plate glass windows, or very large ones that can flex a lot (and thus can be flexed out of their frames 0 when you look at pictures of downtown New Orleans, and all the windows blown out of the hotels, that's how most of them went), they're probably not going to break.

That's retarded. It's not pressure differential that would break windows in a hurricane, it's the pressure of the wind on the glass. Partially opening the window doesn't change that. Someone's confusing tornadoes and hurricanes.

And it takes about a 150mph wind to reliably break glass (I know the internet says 80. The internet's wrong.) Wind does, however, carry debris. But opening your windows to keep them from breaking is one of the stupider suggestions I've heard today.

Depends on your window... PGT Windows are among many of the new style of windows that can stop a whole lot more then you'd think. I used to work for the company before they closed the nearby facility. This stuff doesn't break easily. For fun I used to try to take a sledge hammer to break through them...no luck...and I ain't no p^^^^.

Depends on your window... PGT Windows are among many of the new style of windows that can stop a whole lot more then you'd think. I used to work for the company before they closed the nearby facility. This stuff doesn't break easily. For fun I used to try to take a sledge hammer to break through them...no luck...and I ain't no p^^^^.

Same here...I forget exactly what glass I have, but I do know it'll take a hell of a lot of shock. But that's not a common glass - the contractor-grade stuff that most houses would have won't take nearly that much. Your standard Andersen double-pane window might take 1psi...which is something like a 200mph wind.

Quality control matters a lot, too. That's why I used "probably" a lot in explaining all this - there's no guarantee a windowpane won't break in an 80mph wind, but if it does it's a good bet that particular piece of glass had a flaw in it.

Taping windows won't stop them from breaking, but it will absorb some of the shock. So you'll still have broken windows, but they might not shatter in your face

But it might keep shards of glass from flying. If you use a HELL of a lot of tape.

Really...if you're going to do that, just get the security film that 3M makes.

Better pick up a playboy when you're out. No internet if the power goes out. You'll have to kick it old school.

lol..that's funny. Good luck anyway Joe. Was getting out of town ever a consideration? Is it to late now?

I had PGT's put in a few years ago. (Still have shutters too) I'm a Firefighter and have seen some huge dudes beat on them with a Pick headed Axe, and not even dent them.

(We do have saws that can cut through them) They are excellent windows, not only for storms, but well insulated, and you don't have to worry about punks trying to break a window to get into your house..

lol..that's funny. Good luck anyway Joe. Was getting out of town ever a consideration? Is it to late now?

it came on so fast didn't have time for alternate plans. Was anyone even talking about it a Few days ago vis a Vis NyC? At this point I reckon the transportation mess and going to somewhere thats not necessarily safer argues for staying here. Spent entire day prepping the place based on the thoughtful comments in this thread. Best I can do

Taping windows won't stop them from breaking, but it will absorb some of the shock. So you'll still have broken windows, but they might not shatter in your face

What about window screens? Assume they're toast if not taken down? Problem with mine they're so old I'm afraid the act of taking them down wiould break them

Joe good luck! Lots of good suggestions on here, if you haven't already buy some rubber boots, if there is flooding you don't want to walk through the water outside without good protection (you may need to get out for some reason). Since you are probably in an old loft space building the mattresses (although the may get ruined ad wet as hell) against the windows is not a bad idea, the film stuff is good too but depending on which type, can be a B word (same as tape to remove) get the stuff in the basement out or put it as high as possible (if you have shelving). Buy a roll of plastic and some tape, in case you have any windows blow out and tape it up if you can, to keep the water out.

Make sure your roof drains are clean and if you can put a little barrier, sand bags with space between them works good (I used to do this in my Chinatown buildings roof because the drain was just too small when we got heavy rains) around them so the water has a small wall to get over before the debris starts going down them. Get any expensive things off out side walls where water might come down near windows or roof drain pipes. Last thing make sure your last apt. insurance payment has been paid up. Again good luck and post pictures here if you get hit. All the best.

We all know what Snooki is capable of from one passing of gas, but the hurricane is what we need to be talking about...

Gov of NJ called Goodell and requested they reschedule the game to Monday evening. Why didn't Goodell do this on his own? More I see from Goodell less I care for him