Ruvell Martin (WR)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruvell Martin used to be with the Packers a couple years ago (2008 was his last year here I think) and I'm not sure where he's been the last couple years (I think the Rams signed him). He's a reliable receiver, not going to blow anyone away with his speed, but he has good size and good hands. The Packers used him in their 5WR sets which they used quite often when he was around. Aaron Rodgers always used to joke that Martin was his favorite target when most of their practice reps were on the scout team as backups. The Packers cut him in 2009 in favor of Brett Swain who is probably a worse receiver, but was better on special teams. The cut was one of the surprise cuts that no one expected, as he contributed to the team quite a bit and was well liked.

BTW, if any of you guys like to scout who your team could pick up after final cut-downs, check out Chastin West, currently on the Packers roster. He's kinda got a little bit of everything, speed, crisp routes, hands, not too small... he's just a bit raw, and all he needs is a chance... I think he can be a quality starting receiver someday. He was an undrafted guy last year and spent the year on the practice squad. This preseason he's made some huge strides, but the Packers are 5 deep on WR's (Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Cobb) and while the Packers might hang onto 6 WR's just to keep West, they'll more likely have to let him go, and he won't make it through waivers and onto the practice squad this time. Check out his big play in their last preseason game. That play shows off his speed and hands, but he's been making other plays running routes across the middle of the field that show off his athleticism as well.

Edited by Brewcity Cheesehead

Ruvell Martin used to be with the Packers a couple years ago (2008 was his last year here I think) and I'm not sure where he's been the last couple years (I think the Rams signed him). He's a reliable receiver, not going to blow anyone away with his speed, but he has good size and good hands. The Packers used him in their 5WR sets which they used quite often when he was around. Aaron Rodgers always used to joke that Martin was his favorite target when most of their practice reps were on the scout team as backups. The Packers cut him in 2009 in favor of Brett Swain who is probably a worse receiver, but was better on special teams. The cut was one of the surprise cuts that no one expected, as he contributed to the team quite a bit and was well liked.

BTW, if any of you guys like to scout who your team could pick up after final cut-downs, check out Chastin West, currently on the Packers roster. He's kinda got a little bit of everything, speed, crisp routes, hands, not too small... he's just a bit raw, and all he needs is a chance... I think he can be a quality starting receiver someday. He was an undrafted guy last year and spent the year on the practice squad. This preseason he's made some huge strides, but the Packers are 5 deep on WR's (Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Cobb) and while the Packers might hang onto 6 WR's just to keep West, they'll more likely have to let him go, and he won't make it through waivers and onto the practice squad this time. Check out his big play in their last preseason game. That play shows off his speed and hands, but he's been making other plays running routes across the middle of the field that show off his athleticism as well.

Cutting any good OL?

Thanks for the scouting report. For a cheesehead, you're okay!!!

This pretty much says it all. Everyone outside of Western NY can see it but we are still in denial. Don't get me wrong. The Bills are my team and I defend them to the end but even I have to be realistic. I'm done whining about it. There is a reason why we get no respect nationally and in the media.

Ruvell Martin - WR - Bills

Bills signed WR Ruvell Martin, formerly of the Seahawks.

The Bills just lost both Donald Jones (head) and Naaman Roosevelt (ankle) for the preseason's duration. The 29-year-old Martin caught seven passes for 158 yards in Seattle last year. He's a fifth receiver-caliber player, which makes him a candidate for significant playing time with Buffalo.

Again, counting lee, we are down 5 GUYS at WR at practice. Someone has to run routes til we are healthy. When we go 4-5 wide with the first team, who's left to throw to in the second? When Stevie has run 147 routes today, who will spell him- we needed a body.

Not to mention....

As I've been saying- our "insane depth" is Stevie, a tiny Parrish, and a ton of guys that are 5-6 on most rosters. Just because we have about 8 of them doesn't mean we have even 3-4 guys that would play anywhere else beyond special teams or injuries.

Edited by NoSaint

YES!!!!!!!!! I am so glad they didnt bring someone in at some useless position like OL which would have just been silly. Better to bring in a scrub WR to provide competition for the 6th, 7th, and 8th WR roster spot. SUPER BOWL BABY!!!v

We literally just stole for the other 31 teams by grabbing this stud before they realized he was still even in the league. Genius :devil:

The Bills FO doublespeak:

1) We have too many WR's, so lets trade away our best who costs very little for a 4th round pick.

2) Injuries? These things happen in football? Ok, now lets bring in a FA that no one has heard of and who won't contribute anything in the regular season.

Good job Bills! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::censored::wallbash::wallbash:

I guess I don't get the hate. Camp signings tend to be "oh we are getting short on bodies, don't want a WR pulling a hammy, let's give some reps to fresh legs." anything more is just lagniappe.

Fresh legs? These guys have been working out for less than a month.

Fresh legs? These guys have been working out for less than a month.

And we have half of them sitting. We need someone out there running routes. It's not smart to expect 4-5 guys with no otas to run every route for the rest of camp.

And if catastrophic injury hits, or if he has some magic chemistry with fitz- so be it.

Why does this signing hurt?

Edited by NoSaint

Cutting any good OL?

Only guy that could be cut that'd be worth a look is Ray Dominguez out of Arkansas. UDFA this year, and has shown some promise, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for him being better than who you have now... good for a project to develop and fill out the bottom of the roster for now.

Thanks for the scouting report. For a cheesehead, you're okay!!!

thanks... you guys are pretty cool yourselves

Why is a cheesehead on this board!!

because I like football. Every once in a while I read other teams boards just to see what types of things fans are talking about and to get a general sense of where the team is, but usually don't sign up for an account or post for that matter. Only other board I've posted on besides here and one of the Packer's boards is patsfans.com since I was planning on making a trip to Foxboro for their game against the Packers last December and had some questions (trip plans ended up falling through). With this board, I only signed up because I saw the topic about Jason Wied's comments at the Packer shareholder's meeting (which I attended) where he listed the economic impact on the community per capita of several teams including the Bills and thought I had some insight to add.