Ruvell Martin (WR)

A camp body everyone nothing to see here

While he's nothing to get too excited about, I wouldn't write him off as a camp body yet. Remember, he's made an NFL roster 5 out of the last 5 years. I just wouldn't expect him to be an impact player. He'll be the type that will get maybe 1 or 2 targets most games he's activated, and then once a year he'll have one game where he'll have a significant impact because he's able to capitalize on a mismatch with smaller DB's... when he was in GB, for some reason those games were always against the Vikings. Though if you guys have a chance to pick up Chastin West... you SHOULD get excited about him... and then who cares whether Martin makes the team or not.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah were going deep in the scrap heap at receiver. Martin plus Buster Davis=superbowl baby!!!!!!! The shout song will soon be replaced by scream your lungs out.

its like you would rather they didnt do anything at all?

its a big possession receiver for depth - not to be compared with lee at all

he is competition with some of these big kids we have that havent proven they can make it in the league. a much better comparison point is he might replace an easley, or such.

at the very least we HAD to sign someone to come run routes at practice. atleast we got a guy that has shown he knows how to be a professional, even if its not a great one. we dont have much experience in the WR corp, we are lacking in health, and who knows, maybe he has great chemistry with fitz, or he juiced all offseason, or SOMETHING and he plays as a big possession type of guy for us. at that frame hes mirroring the small tightend type of receivers that we have been targeting.

no reason to be down on this. who would you have rather signed today?

Just got a text about it. Not sure who he is, but looks like a big dude

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9451/ruvell-martin

Ruvell Martin!!!!!! 2005 Amsterdam Admirals #1 receiver and Gibran Hamdan his goto guy. Went on to be the Packers their 5th wr untill after about 4 seasons or so he got outplayed bij Jennings i believe. Was Waived or traded to the Rams, lost track of him then. Great playmaker who has too many drops and has a tendency not to move in on balls, good route runner, fast but above all tall. Owns or owned nfl europe record for most tds in a single season, was on the Admirals wall of fame.

Edited by bladiebla

WHY IN THE :censored: IS THE #83 STILL BEING GIVEN OUT?! Seriously Lee came in close enough where I can see him getting #83, but this is ridiculous. We havent seen #12, #78, or #34.... would we be giving #12 out to a 3rd string journeyman? Retire the number, its only one number, and receivers can use 11-19 too so dont tell me they can only use 80's

Probably this is the reason (they didn't want to issue the same number to two different players and #83 isn't as sacred as a few other numbers):

http://www.buffalobi...eam/roster.html

Southern MississippiRuvell Martin used to be with the Packers a couple years ago (2008 was his last year here I think) and I'm not sure where he's been the last couple years (I think the Rams signed him). He's a reliable receiver, not going to blow anyone away with his speed, but he has good size and good hands. The Packers used him in their 5WR sets which they used quite often when he was around. Aaron Rodgers always used to joke that Martin was his favorite target when most of their practice reps were on the scout team as backups. The Packers cut him in 2009 in favor of Brett Swain who is probably a worse receiver, but was better on special teams. The cut was one of the surprise cuts that no one expected, as he contributed to the team quite a bit and was well liked.

BTW, if any of you guys like to scout who your team could pick up after final cut-downs, check out Chastin West, currently on the Packers roster. He's kinda got a little bit of everything, speed, crisp routes, hands, not too small... he's just a bit raw, and all he needs is a chance... I think he can be a quality starting receiver someday. He was an undrafted guy last year and spent the year on the practice squad. This preseason he's made some huge strides, but the Packers are 5 deep on WR's (Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Cobb) and while the Packers might hang onto 6 WR's just to keep West, they'll more likely have to let him go, and he won't make it through waivers and onto the practice squad this time. Check out his big play in their last preseason game. That play shows off his speed and hands, but he's been making other plays running routes across the middle of the field that show off his athleticism as well.

Thanks, man. Any poster who adds value to this forum is welcome with open arms.

YES!!!!!!!!! I am so glad they didnt bring someone in at some useless position like OL which would have just been silly. Better to bring in a scrub WR to provide competition for the 6th, 7th, and 8th WR roster spot. SUPER BOWL BABY!!!v

We literally just stole for the other 31 teams by grabbing this stud before they realized he was still even in the league. Genius :devil:

Thing is dawg, 4 out of the 10 receivers are injured right now. I'm surprised the Bills took so long to add another body. Being shorthanded at WR is an invitation for hammie pulls, etc.

When (DB) Justin Rogers went down and Dominic Cook was waived, I was surprised the Bills didn't bring in any more DBs.

Why is a cheesehead on this board!!

Which raises a good philosophical question:

Would you rather have a person who is intelligent, insightful, and adds to the board (but roots for another team) or would you rather have a Bills Fan who adds nothing to the forum?

I know what my answer is.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan