Is anyone watching 50 Documentaries to See Before You Die?

Pete

Wow, this is awesome. I've seen a handful of the ones listed so far, and the others that appeal to me will be added to my netflix list. Was cool to see some of my favorites (Man on Wire; King of Kong; Spellbound) on the list so far.

IMO, Restrepo is number 1 far and away. I absolutely love how it sheds all politics and focuses solely on the everyday struggles our troops have to endure. Absolutely amazing and touching documentary.

I've been eyeing that one in my netflix queue for a while now...just haven't gotten around to it. I've heard others say the same thing you have, though...that it's just an amazing piece of film.

I've been following, I was kinda bummed at first when I found out it only covers the last 20yrs. My guess is Farenheit 9/11 will be number one, also got a feeling Super Size Me will make top 20...

The Corporation should absolutely be on the list IMO

Anthropomorphizing a liability structure in a quest to prove that profits are evil is not my idea of filmmaking. My favorite part was when they pulled the curtain on corporate America with this shocking discovery - Corporations only exist to reward shareholders. Really? Who should they reward? Bystanders? Some sort of lottery system whereby those who bought in are compensated with disbursements to total strangers who accepted no risk?

Citing past abuses as evidence is fine, but are these abuses not uncommon to other business structures including partnerships, limited partnerships, not-for-profit and even charities? And aren't said abuses and frauds especially common in the public/government sector, which the documentary glorifies? Corporate structure and earning a profit are not inherently evil, even if some will use it to those ends.

That's what drives me crazy about Corporation. It was very well made and is pretty convincing if taken at face value, but I think there are serious flaws in the content. And heaping climate change on top of it all to tug at some heartstrings was pretty underhanded. I do love to hear Noam Chomsky foam at the mouth about capitalism and the American way though. It gives me an excuse to dig up the interview where he admits that despite its flaws its still the best, and the alternatives don't really work.

Edited by Jauronimo

And you've stumbled upon why Pete loves it so much. Congratulations.

I don't remember Pete having claimed to love the movie or offering an opinion on the content, so I'm not sure why he feels differently than I do.

My objection rests with the premise, the reason why the film was made. Good production values should not trump the underlying content. Through the miracle of film editing we could make a documentary which shows the benefits of deforestation or one which proves the world is flat, but what good does that serve, save for making impressionable youth dumber?

Edited by Jauronimo

Farenheit 9/11?

Give me a break.

I guess Bowling for Columbine will be number 1 in that case.

At least they have the insight to put The King of Kong on the list, although it should be much higher.

If Outfoxed is on this list, then it loses all credibility.

Shut Up And Sing is an excellent film. Censorship is alive and well.

It is funny, I think, reading the comments on the linked page, and here, how political everything is...it seems that many who are slanted right have no use for documentaries...

That said, I think "Crumb", "Standing in the Shadow of Motown" and "Roger & Me" are terrific films.

Edited by Buftex

It is funny, I think, reading the comments on the linked page, and here, how political everything is...it seems that many who are slanted right have no use for documentaries...

That said, I think "Crumb", "Standing in the Shadow of Motown" and "Roger & Me" are terrific films.

I have no use for slanted documentaries. While "Roger & Me" was an interesting and well made movie, "Bowling for Columbine" was alright but overrated, and "Farenheit 9/11" & "Sicko" are just garbage.

It amazes me that Michael Moore has actually won an Oscar, and yet a film like "The King of Kong" doesn't even get nominated. "Kong" absolutely crushes everything that Moore has made.