Prisco Power Rankings

I may have given too much credit to Prisco...but the fact is that it does not matter whether he ranks as @ 25 or 32....Right now we are the doormats of the NFL and until we can pick up ourselves and get some wins, it doesn't matter. The guy has to cover 32 teams..where is his focus going to be....not @ the doormats....I don't believe Prisco is an idiot and doesn't know his football. As you agreed, there are just way too many IFs for this team to succeed.

I don't actually care where the gurus rate us in preseason power polls. I guess I can't criticize anyone ranking us #32. We were horrible last year and haven't made any really major additions outside the draft.

I still think Prisco is wrong but only wins will prove the point. Let's hope we get some.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we have learned anything, it should be to discount the sweeping generalizations made by national media about our football team -- good or bad. They don't really have any insight into what's going on and rely too much upon recent history. While relevant, past results don't guarantee similar future performance.

I'll take my Bills "reporting" from the local guys like Wawrow, Gaughan, Maiorana, etc., who are actually at camp and talking to the coaches and players.

Edited by eball

If I didn't know much about them and wasn't a complete idiot like Prisco, I'd rate them at least above the teams that made coaching changes over the off-season. But I'd say 18-20 range.

And the Raiders will not be the 18th best team. Not after losing Asomugha and Zach Miller, their 2 best players (arguably for Miller) on both sides of the ball.

I wish I had you as a teacher. You are a generous grader. If the team steadily moves up the ranks I would consider it as progress. :thumbsup:

I don't think he got the Bills right. Nope. I don't think he got many teams correct, because he looks at FA and the draft as indicators. He ignores new coaching staffs, and ignores how long it takes to put in a new system, and ignores that there were no OTAs. So no, he's wrong.

The Prisco Power ranking are out. Did he get it right with the Bills? I'm thinking it's possible he did.

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/15445029/power-rankings-hungry-time-to-set-the-table

The Bills could actually go 9-7 (.500 or better would be great):

09/11 @ Kansas City Chiefs - L

09/18 OAKLAND RAIDERS - W

09/25 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - L

10/02 @ Cincinnati Bengals - W

10/9 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - L

10/16 @ New York Giants - L

10/23 BYE

10/30 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (TOR) - W

11/06 NEW YORK JETS - W

11/13 @ Dallas Cowboys - L

11/20 @ Miami Dolphins - W

11/27 @ New York Jets - W

12/04 TENNESSEE TITANS - W

12/11 @ San Diego Chargers - L

12/18 MIAMI DOLPHINS - W

12/24 DENVER BRONCOS - W

1/01 @ New England Patriots - L

The Bills could actually go 9-7 (.500 or better would be great):

09/11 @ Kansas City Chiefs - L

09/18 OAKLAND RAIDERS - W

09/25 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - L

10/02 @ Cincinnati Bengals - W

10/9 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - L

10/16 @ New York Giants - L

10/23 BYE

10/30 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (TOR) - W

11/06 NEW YORK JETS - W

11/13 @ Dallas Cowboys - L

11/20 @ Miami Dolphins - W

11/27 @ New York Jets - W

12/04 TENNESSEE TITANS - W

12/11 @ San Diego Chargers - L

12/18 MIAMI DOLPHINS - W

12/24 DENVER BRONCOS - W

1/01 @ New England Patriots - L

how do you have them losing to the chiefs...that team can't score. Chiefs are looking at 3-13 or so

Anyone ranking the Fish ahead (much less that far ahead) of the Bills this year isn't paying any attention at all.

We embarrassed them last year w/o Dareus and Merriman.

The Dolphins have very little talent (zero at QB), and their coach is on the chopping block. They are in the Adrew Luck derby for sure - the Bills are not.

But will they beat anyone, that is the question. This team opened 0 - 8 last year with largely the same lineup. KC win on opening day in Kansas City? Not a chance. Eggles? Pls. Pats in NE? Ouch, that one will be ugly. Raiders in home opener.... pray for that one. 1 -3 out of the gate, absolutely best case...

I can't disagree enough about the this. The Bills are a better team than KC. We went into OT with a makeshift oline and a horrible defense. Our defense will be much more improved. How is so many people saying the Bills are just as equal as last year? Remember the Bills got rid of some key players on defense; let's really look at it.

Stroud- was a great player for the 4-3 not a 3-4 DE. He moved over shed some weight and was out of position most of the time

Poz- tackling machine, but 5 yards down field because the front dline was so poor

Whitner- great tackler, but not a top 5 player by any means

This year the Bills have Marcell, who is a beast that will most likely be a pro bowler if he produces as advertised in time. Upgrade over Stroud.

Barnett- just as equal to Poz but better in coverages

Troupe- not a rookie and knows the system and will have a much better impact, plus really put on muscle this off season and the coaches noticed.

Carrington- Put on muscle and has been showing that he can play and is bigger and more experienced this year.

Lights Out Sean M.- after the first drive I think it's safe to say he's back to old form and showed it. Even if he wasn't a huge upgrade from Keith Ellison (6-2, and 220lbs). Buffalo has more size, push and experience from last year. Not to mention Dave Mustache Wanny who will keep the defense aligned right for George Edwards. This team is not a playoff team that will go deep, but 8-8 is not out of the picture.

I can't disagree enough about the this. The Bills are a better team than KC. We went into OT with a makeshift oline and a horrible defense. Our defense will be much more improved. How is so many people saying the Bills are just as equal as last year? Remember the Bills got rid of some key players on defense; let's really look at it.

Stroud- was a great player for the 4-3 not a 3-4 DE. He moved over shed some weight and was out of position most of the time

Poz- tackling machine, but 5 yards down field because the front dline was so poor

Whitner- great tackler, but not a top 5 player by any means

This year the Bills have Marcell, who is a beast that will most likely be a pro bowler if he produces as advertised in time. Upgrade over Stroud.

Barnett- just as equal to Poz but better in coverages

Troupe- not a rookie and knows the system and will have a much better impact, plus really put on muscle this off season and the coaches noticed.

Carrington- Put on muscle and has been showing that he can play and is bigger and more experienced this year.

Lights Out Sean M.- after the first drive I think it's safe to say he's back to old form and showed it. Even if he wasn't a huge upgrade from Keith Ellison (6-2, and 220lbs). Buffalo has more size, push and experience from last year. Not to mention Dave Mustache Wanny who will keep the defense aligned right for George Edwards. This team is not a playoff team that will go deep, but 8-8 is not out of the picture.

On the flip side, the receiving corps is weaker than last year, the running back situation is thinner than last year, the offensive line is a mess, the secondary is probably worse than last year. 8-8 is possible but with a few injuries, so is 2-14 and Andrew Luck.

The Bills are on a downward trend until they prove otherwise, I don't see why this is so rage inducing.

7-9, 7-9, 6-10, 4-12...

How is the RB situation weaker?? Or the DBs? I'll give you losing Evans but losing Poz, Whitner and Lynch is an improvement.

PTR

As much as people like to hate on Lynch here, he was productive.. having him, Jackson and Spiller at our disposal was a pretty strong backfield imo. White is an unproven rookie, its hard to say he is equal to, or better than Lynch yet.

I just don't get it. We took the first 8 weeks to win a game because our coach and offense were finding their way. We finished 4-4 to end the season with injuries running rampant. The obvious reason we lost half of the games we did was because of 169 yards/game let up on the ground and our offense wasn't consistent enough to make up for it. Well, we are probably much better against the run and haven't changed anything on offense except for let go of Lee Evans and add Brad Smith. So, logically that means that we have the same offense with a better defense and should then win at LEAST the 4 games but probably more like 2-4 more. Throw in Fitz for 3 of the games that he missed and our offense scores more. All things considered, I think that common sense says we go .500. Last year we were young with holes at a lot of positions. This year we are 1 year older with young talent at a lot of those holes. Other teams get better too, I know, but every other team in the NFL isn't a bunch of young talent that's just learning to win together- everyone is different. Lastly, what is the deal with the constant idea that the lack of Aaron Rodgers at QB and the best offensive line in the NFL makes us the second-to-last team in the power-rankings? That argument is lunacy.

How is the RB situation weaker?? Or the DBs? I'll give you losing Evans but losing Poz, Whitner and Lynch is an improvement.

PTR

I'm not a big believer in addition by subtraction when it comes to players, though it is certainly valid when it comes to those who evaluate talent at One Bills Drive.

The RB situation is thinner. Even if you don't like Lynch as a person, he was a hard nosed, punishing runner. If Jackson goes down, what faith do you have is Spiller? He was a liability last year because he couldn't pick up the blitz and when he was on the field, the opposing team knew he was getting the ball.

Poz wasn't great but he was the best of a group of LBs misfit for the system the new coaching staff chose. There is a reason why Nix wanted him back.

Whitner again wasn't great, but his problems were he was drafted to high and had to high of an opinion of himself. I was down on him since the day he was drafted, mostly because I wanted Ngata, but has his replacement been proven to be better?

Edited by Scraps

I'm not a big believer in addition by subtraction when it comes to players, though it is certainly valid when it comes to those who evaluate talent at One Bills Drive.

The RB situation is thinner. Even if you don't like Lynch as a person, he was a hard nosed, punishing runner. If Jackson goes down, what faith do you have is Spiller? He was a liability last year because he couldn't pick up the blitz and when he was on the field, the opposing team knew he was getting the ball.

Poz wasn't great but he was the best of a group of LBs misfit for the system the new coaching staff chose. There is a reason why Nix wanted him back.

Lynch again wasn't great, but his problems were he was drafted to high and had to high of an opinion of himself. I was down on him since the day he was drafted, mostly because I wanted Ngata, but has his replacement been proven to be better?

Good post.

Johnny White is a hard-nosed, punishing runner, and has versatility (can catch). I disagree the RB corps is thinner.

Yes, Buddy wanted him back, but obviously not at the ridiculous amount paid by Jacksonville. It's ok to want solid, hard-working guys on your roster even if they're not superstars. He was replaced by Barnett, who many believe IS well-suited to this defense and an upgrade over Poz.

Lynch again wasn't great, but his problems were he was drafted to high and had to high of an opinion of himself. I was down on him since the day he was drafted, mostly because I wanted Ngata, but has his replacement been proven to be better?

Do you mean Whitner? Otherwise I don't understand your post since Ngata was taken in the Whitner draft. George Wilson has been tabbed by many as an up and coming star at the position, and is undeniably better in pass coverage than li'l Donte.

I'm sorry, Scraps, but I see upgrades in all of the situations referenced above, and it's a shame you don't believe it's likely Spiller would improve from his rookie to sophomore season in all areas of the game.

The Bills are on a downward trend until they prove otherwise, I don't see why this is so rage inducing.

Because after struggling with a new system the first half of the year the Bills went 4-4 and 3 of their later losses were in OT to playoff teams. Second half performance is a known predictor for the next season - more than total season record.

Specifically, one of those late wins was an embarrassing beat-down on the Phins in Miami who needed that game to stay alive for the playoffs, which is why I say anyone who thinks the Bills are worse than Miami right now is showing they aren't paying attention.

Edited by BobChalmers

Do you mean Whitner? Otherwise I don't understand your post since Ngata was taken in the Whitner draft. George Wilson has been tabbed by many as an up and coming star at the position, and is undeniably better in pass coverage than li'l Donte.

I'm sorry, Scraps, but I see upgrades in all of the situations referenced above, and it's a shame you don't believe it's likely Spiller would improve from his rookie to sophomore season in all areas of the game.

Yes I meant Whitner, thanks for the correction.

In my first post I never brought up the linebackers. PromoTheRobot brought up Poz. I agree that Barnett may actually be an upgrade but given how bad the LB corps was, wouldn't Poz and Barnett be better than just Barnett? I didn't think the numbers between Jacksonville and the Bills were all that different. I though Poz went because he didn't like the system being installed here.

I'm skeptical that Spiller will be anything more than a kick returner and a situational gimmick.

Posters on this site would probably rate the Bills anywhere from #1 (the guy who keeps predicting 16-0) to #32. I think, though, if you took an average of all those rankings, you'd get a more accurate prediction of the Bills season than you could get from Prisco. It's self-evident: the community of Bills fans knows the Bills better than Prisco.

The converse is probably true. We might know the Bills better than non-Bills fans since we're always watching the Bills, but those guys might know the other teams better because they're always watching them.

It really doesn't matter how much "power" you or I or Prisco or anything thinks a team has at any given point. The teams will play football game, and by next February we'll all know for sure what the power rankings really were.