Danny Batten

He looked really good last night. I don't know where you heard he got 2 sacks. I thought it was just one. I'll have to go back and watch the tape on it. But overall he looked really good considering it was his first game. He is all that was expected after what the coaching staff though of him last year before the injury. Had some good pressures. I saw him around the ball a lot. I don't expect him to start anywhere out there just yet but I have no doubt you will see him often as he gives breaks to every starter on the LB group at times. The guy looks like he can play everywhere.

I have been hoping that Danny Batten could step up and make this team and hopefully one day become a solid OLB. I love his size and tenacity. I saw that he had 2 sacks. I'm guessing he looked pretty good, can anyone share what they saw from him last night or even thus far in camp?

He looked good. On his sack (or maybe it was a pressure) he really took it to the Bears RB who was in to block.

Well there was one where he tackled Enderle on the line of scrimmage so technically not a sack but it was close. I think there's no doubt he makes the team this year what I'm curious about is whether he can prove himself enough to shoot himself up the depth chart.

He cant be any worse than Kelsay. If not for the Kelsay love fest he or Carrington or both could replace Kelsay at practice tomorrow and improve our D.

Well I don't fully understand the the whole Jack Linebacker spot that Carrington is at. I feel like that is more of a rotational, 3rd down pass rusher type rather than a definite starter.

He cant be any worse than Kelsay. If not for the Kelsay love fest he or Carrington or both could replace Kelsay at practice tomorrow and improve our D.

What Kelsay love fest? Even those who defend him don't love him.

I have been hoping that Danny Batten could step up and make this team and hopefully one day become a solid OLB. I love his size and tenacity. I saw that he had 2 sacks. I'm guessing he looked pretty good, can anyone share what they saw from him last night or even thus far in camp?

He looked awesome. I thought about starting a post about him but have done so so many times I thought I maybe overdoing it so thanks for the thread. Batten starting OLB midseason!

and yes he had 2 sacks.

From what I hear, Kelsay is always in exactly the right place to redirect the play towards other players on the defense. :ph34r:

I saw Batten was in on some sacks, but didn't pay much attention to him in the run game. I'll keep an eye on him in my second watch through.

He looked as good as they talked about him last preseason, which was as much or more than Moats, and then Moats ended up getting the actual playing time last year because of injury to Coleman and Batten - both of whom are good enough to keep on our roster somehow, I think, and we ended up liking Moats' potential. Well, Moats kind of disappeared, I thought, last night, and Batten shined. I like that we have young guys that are interchangeable, to some extent.

And, all in all, our front seven looked much BIGGER. We're going to have a much, much better run D this year. Can't help but think Wannstedt has had a good effect, and will have a good influence on how these young guys develop. Didn't get a chance to notice Sheppard much, but I'm excited about him, too. We have White, Sheppard, Batten, Moats, and Coleman to look forward to as young linebackers. That is a pretty good group going forward. The Steelers have always seemed to have linebackers - regardless of their draft position - on the roster, developing, and then they get a shot in year two or three and the organization doesn't miss a step. Let's hope our young guys can turn into that type of dependable unit. The fact that we have Whaley from Pittsburgh and Nix from San Diego is enough to suggest they know what to look for in these guys - and, the early returns look good. Immediately Nix looked to beef us up, something which I thought was long overdue, and it now looks like an NFL defense. (I know it is only preseason, but I'm talking merely about their size and athleticism. Our Defensive Coordinator might be the weakest link on that side of the ball, now)

Thanks for all the input guys, it sounds like he is a player to watch the next 3 games. To the guy who asked where I read that Batten had 2 sacks; it was on the ESPN box scores. I look forward to Saturday and watching the LB's battle. It will be nice to see Sheppard get in there soon and damn that defense looks so much bigger as a whole. What a turnaround in just 2 seasons, awesome!!!

From what I hear, Kelsay is always in exactly the right place to redirect the play towards other players on the defense. :ph34r:

I saw Batten was in on some sacks, but didn't pay much attention to him in the run game. I'll keep an eye on him in my second watch through.

Sounds like a nice way of saying over-pursuit and bad angles

Thanks for all the input guys, it sounds like he is a player to watch the next 3 games. To the guy who asked where I read that Batten had 2 sacks; it was on the ESPN box scores. I look forward to Saturday and watching the LB's battle. It will be nice to see Sheppard get in there soon and damn that defense looks so much bigger as a whole. What a turnaround in just 2 seasons, awesome!!!

I think he was officially given two sacks. The one in question was a QB scramble where the Bear QB was tackled right near the line of scrimmage. Since Batten tackled him just behind the LOS, it is a sack. A couple inches more, it would have been a run for 0 yards.

I thought he looked small but talented

I thought the same. Looked small for sure. On his first sack, he went 1on1 with the HB. He pushed him straight back in to qb, who was flushed out by Carrington, who pushed through the RT with ease (3rd string RT). It wasn't that impressive of a sack IMO. The 2nd sack didn't look like a sack to me. The tripped up the qb as he was trying to scramble for yards. I thought he got over the LOS, but apparently I'm wrong. He may be a contributor, but I still think he's got a lot of work before he steps into the starting lineup. Hopefully I'm wrong again. He's got some talen, but i wouldnt call his play saturday "great" by any means. Sure he had 2 sacks, but there werent anything to write home aboutt