Billls open to trading Evans

I doubt it's even from Ralph but it could be. The Man Behind The Curtain has free reign to manage the cap as he sees fit. It also explains a lot of recent quotes and a lot of money concerns.

It's like deja vu all over again.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it interesting that as GG would say, "The Man Behind The Curtain" was at practice yesterday, and he's someone who has a reputation and the power, as the team's salary cap guy, to go over a GM or coach's head to make roster decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if he's handling trade talks on this one, as he has done it before, believe it or not. I'm not sure how much Gailey or Nix have signed off on it, grudgingly at best I imagine and heard.

I assume that Gailey and Nix think we have a ton of talent at WR. I fear that Nix thinks Buster Davis will be great because he drafted him. I also think they believe Easley could be a beast a deep threat if he stays healthy. I very much doubt they want to drop Evans in a salary dump.

I doubt it's even from Ralph but it could be. The Man Behind The Curtain has free reign to manage the cap as he sees fit. It also explains a lot of recent quotes and a lot of money concerns.

George Bush was behind 9/11 :rolleyes:

George Bush was behind 9/11 :rolleyes:

Except in the Bills case, there is evidence of behind the scenes maneuvers that were not blessed by the coaching staffs or the nominal GMs. Keep believing that Nix & Gailey have the true power over personnel decisions.

and you're wrong about Moulds. sure, Evans had a great season alongside Moulds, but he also had a good season in 2006 without him. the trouble is, Evans hasn't consistently had a credible or consistent guy playing opposite him. it was Moulds for a year. Peerless Price for a couple of years. Josh Reed. T.O. during what was a dysfunctional year for the offense altogether, and now Stevie Johnson's emergence last year.

Fitz not having a good rapport with Lee? how do you know that. i've seen them hook up in practice numerous times.

and why is it that Evans struggles to get open? might it be opponents continue to swing coverage his way?

jw

Thanks for the reply John. I feel like a big shot now that you have replied to one of my posts.

Look, agree with you that Lee does not get enough credit for being a "good" reciever, however there's a huge Butt:

you are right that Lee hasn't had a solid WR opposite him all these years. But he still couldn't do it with TO, couldn't do it as a #1, and couldn't do it opposite anyone else that has been here. And when I say "do it" I mean be the true #1 that everyone loves to give him credit for. The fact is, that true #1's don't need other WRs taking away coverage so they can get open. They attract double coverage and STILL get the ball. Lee hasn't shown that ever.

I cannot prove that Fitz and Lee don't have a good repor with each other. I just find it funny that Fitz is able to make a 7th round WR look like a true stud in just one year as a starter. He put up better numbers than Lee has ever put up and did it as his first year as a starter.vivek seen him do it in practice too, it still doesn't show on game day though. "WE TALKIN BOUT PRACTICE MAN!!!"

I've said that I feel that Lee does pull the coverage to his side more often than not. I acknowledge that but your paying hi. And expecting him to be a true #1 WR and as I mentioned earlier, True #1's don't get bothered by double coverage. They get the ball no matter what. Guys with as much talent as Calvin Johnson all the way down to Hines Ward. They just beat doubles and they do it on a regular basis.

I just think were making excuses for a guy cause he is the typical Bill. Everyone likes him. It's not a suprise that he's been our best player on offense for years. I agree with that. But that doesnt exactly make him good. It just shows that we have settled for sub par talent for so long. If you ask me, this team had nothing hut losers on it's roster and Nix and Gailey are doing thier best to get rid of them. Poz, Whitner, Lynch, Stroud, Etc... They are cleaning house of the old regimes small, but high motor guys. I'm ok with it.

I just think were making excuses for a guy cause he is the typical Bill. Everyone likes him. It's not a suprise that he's been our best player on offense for years. I agree with that. But that doesnt exactly make him good. It just shows that we have settled for sub par talent for so long. If you ask me, this team had nothing hut losers on it's roster and Nix and Gailey are doing thier best to get rid of them. Poz, Whitner, Lynch, Stroud, Etc... They are cleaning house of the old regimes small, but high motor guys. I'm ok with it.

That is it, isnt it ? I, for one, am not arguing he is elite or even top 10 in the league. My point is that he is the most proven WR on this team right now. And that is what is important. The team will be poorer in this season without him no matter the development of other players that MAY happen. It is a question of managing risk and it is better to keep him for at least one more season till we see what talent we do or dont have. I dont see any replacement on the FA market and certainly dont want to depend on the waiver wire to fill slots.

As a side note Nix has said his philosophy is to keep our own and build through the draft. If he trades Lee, he will prove himself to have half lied to us.

Look, agree with you that Lee does not get enough credit for being a "good" reciever, however there's a huge Butt:

you are right that Lee hasn't had a solid WR opposite him all these years. But he still couldn't do it with TO, couldn't do it as a #1, and couldn't do it opposite anyone else that has been here. And when I say "do it" I mean be the true #1 that everyone loves to give him credit for. The fact is, that true #1's don't need other WRs taking away coverage so they can get open. They attract double coverage and STILL get the ball. Lee hasn't shown that ever.

I cannot prove that Fitz and Lee don't have a good repor with each other. I just find it funny that Fitz is able to make a 7th round WR look like a true stud in just one year as a starter. He put up better numbers than Lee has ever put up and did it as his first year as a starter.vivek seen him do it in practice too, it still doesn't show on game day though. "WE TALKIN BOUT PRACTICE MAN!!!"

I've said that I feel that Lee does pull the coverage to his side more often than not. I acknowledge that but your paying hi. And expecting him to be a true #1 WR and as I mentioned earlier, True #1's don't get bothered by double coverage. They get the ball no matter what. Guys with as much talent as Calvin Johnson all the way down to Hines Ward. They just beat doubles and they do it on a regular basis.

there's still some failed reasoning here. Lee Evans had a solid year as a lone No. 1 in 2006. ... and if you're going to go back to 2009 and use that as an argument, i'm sorry. the Bills offense that season was an absolute and utter mess. the fact that it scored more than 3 touchdowns was a miracle given that Jauron decided to go no-huddle, fired his offensive coordinator and then cut his starting left tackle. ...

good receivers need comlimentary receivers around them and quarterbacks to get them the ball. Steve Smith was an elite receiver in Carolina but then suddenly his production dropped off.

Deion Branch was good in New England, a bust in Seattle and now suddenly good in New England again. ... hmmmm.

what's Braylon Edwards done recently?

weren't Peerless Price and Eric Moulds a better tandem together than they were apart?

some could say Moulds had a great 2004 season because of Evans.

Larry Fitzgerald is a good receiver, and yet why did he fail to make an impact last year? sure, he had another, 1,000 yard while matching a career low with 6 TDs.

Andre Reed didn't do it all himeslf here in Buffalo, did he?

here's something odd: if Lee Evans wasn't a bona fide No. 1 and couldn't do it all himself, how did he do it all himself in 2008 opposite Josh Reed, or in 2006, opposite Peerless.

look at the numbers: Evans' 1,292 yards receiving in 2006 were more than one third of the yards passing the Bills produced.

odd, no?

jw

Edited by john wawrow

So, you'd take 4th round pick (that's the best we'll get) for Evans? Just to get this straight. Did you peruse the list of 4th round picks from 2008 I posted? Maybe 2-3 out of about 40 picks were any good. I suspect that fully 30% are no longer in the League 4 years later.....

Just to get this straight - don't make up hypothetical trade values (i.e. 4th round pick for Evans) and then attribute them to me. I never advocated trading Evans for a 4th rounder. This isn't Fox News where you can make stuff up and blame someone else for your faulty assumptions. (p.s. how are you so sure that's the best we'll get? I think you're dead wrong )

Evans' value is far greater than a middle round pick. However, his shelf life is rapidly expiring and the smart move is to trade him now. The Bills never won anything with him and they don't project to win anything in the near future with him.

Just want to say thanks for the facts and reason in this thread, JW. There are some respectable posters who disagree, but I think you offer some necessary perspective on the situation and posters like me appreciate that you're here to dispel unsupported claims like "evans and fitz" don't connect, etc. And you're doing it in a very civil way, which is appreciated.

Just to get this straight - don't make up hypothetical trade values (i.e. 4th round pick for Evans) and then attribute them to me. I never advocated trading Evans for a 4th rounder. This isn't Fox News where you can make stuff up and blame someone else for your faulty assumptions. (p.s. how are you so sure that's the best we'll get? I think you're dead wrong )

Evans' value is far greater than a middle round pick. However, his shelf life is rapidly expiring and the smart move is to trade him now. The Bills never won anything with him and they don't project to win anything in the near future with him.

Schefter is behind the 4th rounder speculation, which at least gives it legs. That they haven't won anything with him is just such a weak argument. It's the justification of a drain circler at best. Evans is not costing them wins, he's not a locker room cancer, and in fact he is looked up to by his teammates. They do project worse without him until proven otherwise.

Report: Panthers interested in Lee Evans

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/12/report-panthers-interested-in-lee-evans/

as previously stated, i think Lee Evans is a STUD !! and the best offensive player the bills have. i would hate to see him go.

having said that, i would take Carolina's 1st or 2nd round pick in next years draft.

There are plenty of free agent WR's in the league and even on the Bills that can replace the production. So, can OBD get real trade value? I firmly believe a trade now is 2 years late and not likely to be lucrative enough. If that plays out differently and a decent pick or help at tackle materialize, everybody wins. Hopefully Lee gets somewhere where a deep fly is the play and not a decoy route to "Stretch coverage".

To Trade or not to trade isn't a rational argument. The question is can a trade be orchestrated that brings more impact to the team than the current #83?

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

there's still some failed reasoning here. Lee Evans had a solid year as a lone No. 1 in 2006. ... and if you're going to go back to 2009 and use that as an argument, i'm sorry. the Bills offense that season was an absolute and utter mess. the fact that it scored more than 3 touchdowns was a miracle given that Jauron decided to go no-huddle, fired his offensive coordinator and then cut his starting left tackle. ...

good receivers need comlimentary receivers around them and quarterbacks to get them the ball. Steve Smith was an elite receiver in Carolina but then suddenly his production dropped off.

Deion Branch was good in New England, a bust in Seattle and now suddenly good in New England again. ... hmmmm.

weren't Peerless Price and Eric Moulds a better tandem together than they were apart?

Larry Fitzgerald is a good receiver, and yet why did he fail to make an impact last year? sure, he had another, 1,000 yard while matching a career low with 6 TDs.

here's something odd: if Lee Evans wasn't a bona fide No. 1 and couldn't do it all himself, how did he do it all himself in 2008 opposite Josh Reed, or in 2006, opposite Peerless.

look at the numbers: Evans' 1,292 yards receiving in 2006 were more than one third of the yards passing the Bills produced.

odd, no?

jw

Like I said. I give credit for Lee doing what he has. I'm not saying we should get rid of him just to get rid of him. It's not to clear up cap space. If anything it's about picking up another position of greater need. Either it will be for another player or for a draft pick for next season. I think I agreed enough that Lee is good and defenately pulls coverage to himself but he is not a true #1. Your right, Lee had 2 good seasons. Not great. Not even very good. You can't have a very good season as a WR and still have single digit TDs. He's never broke into the double digit mark. I could take less yards and receptions if you just produced in the redzone, But he doesn't. He's a deep threat because of his speed, he's 30 years old and on the downside of his speed demon career. He's never been a possession reciever. Just because he's had decent years twice in his career doesnt mean anything g to me since JP also had a good year one of those years and we all know he sucked. Just as other players like Derek Anderson had a good year yet we all knew that was a fluke. Just as many here and wleverywhere else believes Fitz isn't really good or a starting QB even though he had the best year at QB since Bledsoe and he only played 13 games.

As the inevitable happens and Lee gets slower and slower it will soon take a 2nd or a 3rd CB to cover him instead of a first and then we will be stuck with a Small, slow, overpaid and underutilized WR on this team when we could have gotten, Cooley, or an OT, or an ILB, or a 3-6th round draft pick for a guy that wouldn't have been resigned anyway. It's about being on your game and being proactive instead of waiting until he's a FA and wondering what we could have gotten for him.

I don't see what everyone even cares about. Almost everyone on this board expect this team to win only 5 games this year. The others think we are going to be bad enough to draft Andrew Luck next year. So if we lose a WR that will not be here in 2 years anyway who really cares????

This place makes me crazy. We all think Ralph is cheap, we suck, we won't make the playoffs, we won't win more than 5 games, we didn't get any better, and were at least 2 years away from making an actual run at it but let's not take extra draft picks to help this rebuilding process because we want to keep a WR that will be 32 when that all happens and has never done anything spectacular enough to prove without a doubt that he is a true #1 anyway.

odd, no?

jw

John your going back 3, 4, 5 years. Evans is not that good anymore & to be honest he was never an elite receiver. He had some decent years & granted the QB situation has been less then favorable. I just think it all comes down to a numbers game with the Bills right now. Obviously they are keeping Johnson, Gailey loves Parrish, Smith just sign with them, Nelson is not going anywhere, Davis seems like he is one of Nix's favorites & I don't think they want to cut Easly/Jones/Roosevelt. Evans is the odd guy out & his production to put it bluntly has sucked the last 2 years. Whether it is primarly his fault or not, those are the facts.

as previously stated, i think Lee Evans is a STUD !! and the best offensive player the bills have. i would hate to see him go.

having said that, i would take Carolina's 1st or 2nd round pick in next years draft.

If any team is stupid enough to give up a 1st round pick for Evans the Bills would be monumentally stupid not to take it. But I can't see any team making that kind of mistake.

I think a high 2nd might be worth the trade as well for the Bills. Anything lower than that and the Bills are better served to hang on to Lee.

Evans is no stud in my opinion, far from it actually. But he is probably the best we have right now so you would need to get an offer for him that will significantly help your rebuild process in order to pull the trigger.