Billls open to trading Evans

Why does everyone always assume any trade is for future draft choices? Isn't it possible the Bills could find a team with excess at a "need" position of the Bills, who happen to be light on WRs? e.g. - a team with 3 starting caliber OTs who need another offensive weapon like Evans. Trade Evans for a starting tackle. I'd go for that if they feel confident enough in their current wideouts.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone who understands football: Buddy, why didn't you know this from watching Lee on tape during his previous 5 seasons?

Buddy: Show me the baby!

Someone who understands football: Buddy, Lee has never bee anything but a 9 route runner.

Buddy: The Raiders suck!

Someone who understands football: Even if we we keep Lee, the O Line can't hold off the pass rush on a 5 step drop.

Buddy: That's why I drafted CJ.

You forgot the Nixism about always trying to improve the team and having more competition. BN always mentions that, but if this deal is made, how did they actually accomplish this if Buffalo does not get a player for 2011?

The 4 year rebuild continues. Changing defenses last season and potentially dealing Evans for low picks makes this seem like Year 0.

Edited by BillsVet

This has been brought up before, but if Boldin who is 100x the WR that Evans is, is only worth a 3rd and a 4th, what do you think the Bills can get for Evans?

Actually it's worse from Cards' standpoint. A year after dealing Boldin for a song, they have to give up value to replace him with a lesser player. :-)

Since the Ravens were involved in this conversation I'll chip in with this, their WRs suck. A lot. I was at the Eagles/Ravens game and the Ravens couldn't get anything done all night long against any of the Eagles defenses. If they think they're going anywhere they need another WR bad.

Such are situations in which overpayments happen.

On a semi-related note the Ravens O-line was terrible tonight and Trent Cole owned Michael Oher against the run and pass in the quarter they were both in. Their backup LTs gave up at least 2 more sacks to Darryl Tapp. Tyrod Taylor played 3 Qs for Baltimore at QB and looked pretty decent given it was his forst game after 2 weeks of practice with no OTAs as a rookie. Threw 2 picks though, one in the red zone on a bad decision and pass - can't have that

You forgot the Nixism about always trying to improve the team and having more competition. BN always mentions that, but if this deal is made, how did they actually accomplish this if Buffalo does not get a player for 2011?

The 4 year rebuild continues. Changing defenses last season and potentially dealing Evans for low picks makes this seem like Year 0.

Come on BV, Nix believes that quality depth is a 6th rounder form South Dakota, an undrafted FA and a former superstar who is 4 years removed from glory.

My favorite new mentality on this board is the old, "at least we treid to sign him!" "What should we do, overpay him?" To which I answer....., "Ed Wang."

PS- I love the "we are dooooomed" crowd too. Nothing like staring denial right in the face. :lol:

Edited by John Cocktosten

Buster's audition must have gone well. If Evans goes, you need a couple of deep threats, so it's Buster and Easely as the deep threats, Parrish and Nelson as the slot guys, and Stevie and Namaan as the possession guys. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts philosophy.

Maybe it's also a break with the past loser mentality too...?

If Nix is so sure about Buster Davis, who has fewer catches in his career than Evans had in his poor 2010 campaign, they should consider "retiring" Nix immediately.

I like Lee, but he's expendable at this point. I don't think defenses plan for him as some fans believe they do.

I hope the Bills extort a king's ransom from a desperate team like the Cardinals. They must be going all in this year because they are already down some draft picks.

Just once I'd like to see Buffalo go "all in" to demonstrate that they're capable of showing fans they want to win. The last time they tried during UFA 2007 it resulted in a massive failure and now they're content to sit on the sidelines and trade their promising/proven players for picks.

This has been brought up before, but if Boldin who is 100x the WR that Evans is, is only worth a 3rd and a 4th, what do you think the Bills can get for Evans?

IMO, it's ridiculous to compare almost any two trades, even at the same position. There are so many factors. In the Boldin case, teams knew they had to sign him to a mega contract. He may have been worth the money, but you had to give up picks AND a ton of money. Not so in the Evans case, he's relatively cheap. Also, when teams are hungry, or think they may be one player away from being a serious contender, they will overpay. Witness the Peerless Price trade with Atl (or even the recent draft with Atl).

If a player has one year left, two years left, three years left, four years left, they have completely different trade value, for the same player at the same age. Unless he's about 30, like Evans. Then teams factor in how many years he still has in his prime. If a player is very good but is an idiot off the field, to some teams he's not worth it, to others he is. If a team is rebuilding, they may be willing to get rid of a player for a lot less than if they are in the hunt. If a team, like the Cards, knows they must get rid of Boldin because of the Fitzgerald contract they will take less.

There are a dozen or more variables that go into trades and it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare them unless you compare the entire context.

Since so many people are freaking out about trading are "star" wider receiver. 37 catches with 578 rec yards and 4 tds with a legitamate starting QB last year. He has only had 2 years out of 7 with over 1,000 yards receiving and over 50 catches just three times. He has never caught 10 td passes in a season. He is still one of the highest paid receivers in the league. How good of a leader can you be to all of the young guys when you have only had 1 winning season in your career? What can he possibly tell them? "Just go Deep".

Im not a Lee Evans hater but the guy is one dimensional and 30 years old. The lame excuse of "he never had any one who could throw him the ball" or "he never had a good #2 receiver" is played out. "Star" wide receivers can find ways to be productive even if they have Estelle Getty throwing them the ball.

While were getting rid of players who don't know what it is like to win lets cut Kelsay.

It boggles the mind that everyone thinks we need to replace Evans with...Evans.

If Evans' skill set had a place and a value to this offense, they wouldnt !@#$ing be entertaining offers for him!

This harkens back to the point I already made in this and the other Evans thread. Clearly, there are other ways of moving the ball than by having to rely on a straight ahead decoy.

And I'll freely agree that using Evans as a decoy in this way is hardly without value.

But folks, look t his numbers from the last TWO years. Even if we were looking to go apples to apples on his roster spot, his contribution has hardly been irreplaceable.

So which is it? Evans cant be replaced because he's the leagues greatest decoy? (a flimsy assertion, at best)

Or Evans can't be replaced because he's truly a great and productive receiver? (an assertion that completely belies his ACTUAL performance thus far, the lone exception being his single worthy season, a season he spent with JP !@#$ing Losman just chucking the ball as far as he could)

It boggles the mind that everyone thinks we need to replace Evans with...Evans.

If Evans' skill set had a place and a value to this offense, they wouldnt !@#$ing be entertaining offers for him!

This harkens back to the point I already made in this and the other Evans thread. Clearly, there are other ways of moving the ball than by having to rely on a straight ahead decoy.

And I'll freely agree that using Evans as a decoy in this way is hardly without value.

But folks, look t his numbers from the last TWO years. Even if we were looking to go apples to apples on his roster spot, his contribution has hardly been irreplaceable.

So which is it? Evans cant be replaced because he's the leagues greatest decoy? (a flimsy assertion, at best)

Or Evans can't be replaced because he's truly a great and productive receiver? (an assertion that completely belies his ACTUAL performance thus far, the lone exception being his single worthy season, a season he spent with JP !@#$ing Losman just chucking the ball as far as he could)

With all due respect Big Cat, do you understand who was throwing Lee the ball before last year?!?!? Also, he drew CONSTANT double coverages, opening up room for Stevie. We don't have to replace Lee with Lee, we need to replace him with a threat. NONE of which re on the team. We have an inept front office and it's clear. We haven't addressed the OL and we will take a 4th round pick for Lee Evans. Thank god all of our other picks have worked out so well. F this FO. We need young people in the FO. And not a marketer like Brandon, but someone with football knowledge. I don;t need grandpa Nix making the decisions. If you don't think Lee is a big Loss, then who replaces him? Buster Davis?

With all due respect Big Cat, do you understand who was throwing Lee the ball before last year?!?!? Also, he drew CONSTANT double coverages, opening up room for Stevie. We don't have to replace Lee with Lee, we need to replace him with a threat. NONE of which re on the team. We have an inept front office and it's clear. We haven't addressed the OL and we will take a 4th round pick for Lee Evans. Thank god all of our other picks have worked out so well. F this FO. We need young people in the FO. And not a marketer like Brandon, but someone with football knowledge. I don;t need grandpa Nix making the decisions. If you don't think Lee is a big Loss, then who replaces him? Buster Davis?

Again, what's your point? He had his two best statistical seasons with Losman and Edwards.

How come he suddenly dropped off when we had a quarterback and offensive game plan worth watching?

Also, look at the actual comparison of SJs stats with and without Evans last year and you'll find your argument that SJ needs Evans is totally bunk.

Also, if you understood my post(s) on this matter you'd see that I've asserted, consistently, that we need to STOP thinking of Lee's replacement in terms of personnel and start considering the very real possibility that he can actually be "replaced" by the right kind of tactical adjustments which may or (more likely) may not involve what he contributes now.

Also, look at the actual comparison of SJs stats with and without Evans last year and you'll find your argument that SJ needs Evans is totally bunk.

If you look at the actual comparison he had one good game out of four. The first game against Cleveland he was bad. 5-42. 4 really short passes and one 20 yarder. The next game he was decent 6-69. 11 yards a pass and 1 score, which was a nice play and pass. The next game he did nothing if you remember that game. 5-58 against NE. We never moved the ball and scored three points. The last game, decent stats but he was a non factor. We scored 7 points. He had 5-72 including a 33 yarder which he fumbled on and lost it. If you look at just the stats, he caught a similar amount of balls, because we threw to him all the time. if you watched the game, he was mostly non existent and always went for really short passes. We had 24 td passes with Evans in 12 games and 2 without him in 4. We were terrible moving the ball and scoring without Evans and it was glaringly obvious,

[/b][/u]

Like who? There's no one left on the open market. I might have agreed with you if they'd made this move 2 weeks ago, but now it just looks like a salary dump to me. How are you supposed to keep fans engaged if you dump your better players? By the team this team is ready to win, they'll be in LA.....

I didn't say this year. Free agents will be available next year.

Does anyone seriously think the Bills will contend this year? If you think they are serious contenders, then I understand why you want to keep Evans. If you believe the Bills are non-contenders this year, like 99.9% of football analysts do, then a trade makes perfect sense.

The team is obviously rebuilding primarily through the draft. This is a multi-year project which has just begun. Fans have to start looking past next week on how these type deals will affect the Bills in the future.

I didn't say this year. Free agents will be available next year.

Does anyone seriously think the Bills will contend this year? If you think they are serious contenders, then I understand why you want to keep Evans. If you believe the Bills are non-contenders this year, like 99.9% of football analysts do, then a trade makes perfect sense.

The team is obviously rebuilding primarily through the draft. This is a multi-year project which has just begun. Fans have to start looking past next week on how these type deals will affect the Bills in the future.

So, you'd take 4th round pick (that's the best we'll get) for Evans? Just to get this straight. Did you peruse the list of 4th round picks from 2008 I posted? Maybe 2-3 out of about 40 picks were any good. I suspect that fully 30% are no longer in the League 4 years later.....

If you look at the actual comparison he had one good game out of four. The first game against Cleveland he was bad. 5-42. 4 really short passes and one 20 yarder. The next game he was decent 6-69. 11 yards a pass and 1 score, which was a nice play and pass. The next game he did nothing if you remember that game. 5-58 against NE. We never moved the ball and scored three points. The last game, decent stats but he was a non factor. We scored 7 points. He had 5-72 including a 33 yarder which he fumbled on and lost it. If you look at just the stats, he caught a similar amount of balls, because we threw to him all the time. if you watched the game, he was mostly non existent and always went for really short passes. We had 24 td passes with Evans in 12 games and 2 without him in 4. We were terrible moving the ball and scoring without Evans and it was glaringly obvious,

Many thanks. Sometimes a player's impact doesn't show up in the stats. I think that this is such a case. For those who say this isn't about salary, I'd estimate that moving Evans will save the Bills at least $4m over two years, since he's due at least $5m over that time and we'll be filling his roster spot (don't even think that they will use this money on other FA's--they've shown us this year that that is not how they do) with a $500k per year player.....

Do we even bother to mention that Nelson, Jones and Parrish were also injured for the last two games and Fitzpatrick was even injured for the last one? Doesn't fit your argument? Ok, nevermind.