Billls open to trading Evans

I found it interesting that as GG would say, "The Man Behind The Curtain" was at practice yesterday, and he's someone who has a reputation and the power, as the team's salary cap guy, to go over a GM or coach's head to make roster decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if he's handling trade talks on this one, as he has done it before, believe it or not. I'm not sure how much Gailey or Nix have signed off on it, grudgingly at best I imagine and heard.

I assume that Gailey and Nix think we have a ton of talent at WR. I fear that Nix thinks Buster Davis will be great because he drafted him. I also think they believe Easley could be a beast a deep threat if he stays healthy. I very much doubt they want to drop Evans in a salary dump.

I doubt it's even from Ralph but it could be. The Man Behind The Curtain has free reign to manage the cap as he sees fit. It also explains a lot of recent quotes and a lot of money concerns.

Care to explain?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If any team is stupid enough to give up a 1st round pick for Evans the Bills would be monumentally stupid not to take it. But I can't see any team making that kind of mistake.

I think a high 2nd might be worth the trade as well for the Bills. Anything lower than that and the Bills are better served to hang on to Lee.

Evans is no stud in my opinion, far from it actually. But he is probably the best we have right now so you would need to get an offer for him that will significantly help your rebuild process in order to pull the trigger.

That report was on the Bills homepage (Chris Brown's blog), but they also said that the Bills asked for third round pick, which Carolina doesn't have...so they backed out.

If any team is stupid enough to give up a 1st round pick for Evans the Bills would be monumentally stupid not to take it. But I can't see any team making that kind of mistake.

I think a high 2nd might be worth the trade as well for the Bills. Anything lower than that and the Bills are better served to hang on to Lee.

Evans is no stud in my opinion, far from it actually. But he is probably the best we have right now so you would need to get an offer for him that will significantly help your rebuild process in order to pull the trigger.

You and I see this situation similarly. A rebuilding team like the Bills shouldn't be afraid to trade away some of its older players, especially those who may have significant value in a trade. Evans is a solid player, and at the age of 30 almost certainly has multiple good years left.

Suppose the Bills were to address their need for a franchise QB as soon as possible, which means the first round of the 2012 draft. Rookie quarterbacks tend to need at least one year to adjust. This means that even if everything goes perfectly, the Bills will not become a serious Super Bowl threat until 2013 at the very earliest. By that point two of Evans' seasons will have been expended. If for whatever reason there is an additional year's delay in obtaining or preparing the franchise QB, you're looking at the loss of three of Evans' seasons. Evans is worth considerably less to the Bills than to a team which already has its franchise quarterback in place.

At the same time, you have to like Evans' speed, his tendency to not drop passes, and the fact he attracts double coverage. As you pointed out, you can't just give a guy like that away. It's also worth noting that first round receivers have a very high bust rate. A team that tries to fill its need for a receiver through the draft may have to try several times before they get it right. That team might be better served by trading away a second round pick for Evans, exactly like you said. I also think a second rounder is a fair price from the Bills' perspective.

there's still some failed reasoning here. Lee Evans had a solid year as a lone No. 1 in 2006. ... and if you're going to go back to 2009 and use that as an argument, i'm sorry. the Bills offense that season was an absolute and utter mess. the fact that it scored more than 3 touchdowns was a miracle given that Jauron decided to go no-huddle, fired his offensive coordinator and then cut his starting left tackle. ...

good receivers need comlimentary receivers around them and quarterbacks to get them the ball. Steve Smith was an elite receiver in Carolina but then suddenly his production dropped off.

Deion Branch was good in New England, a bust in Seattle and now suddenly good in New England again. ... hmmmm.

what's Braylon Edwards done recently?

weren't Peerless Price and Eric Moulds a better tandem together than they were apart?

some could say Moulds had a great 2004 season because of Evans.

Larry Fitzgerald is a good receiver, and yet why did he fail to make an impact last year? sure, he had another, 1,000 yard while matching a career low with 6 TDs.

Andre Reed didn't do it all himeslf here in Buffalo, did he?

here's something odd: if Lee Evans wasn't a bona fide No. 1 and couldn't do it all himself, how did he do it all himself in 2008 opposite Josh Reed, or in 2006, opposite Peerless.

look at the numbers: Evans' 1,292 yards receiving in 2006 were more than one third of the yards passing the Bills produced.

odd, no?

jw

My issue with the stats you cite, even in Lee's strongest season (2006), 40% of his yards came in only 3 games (18% of the games).

So, as has been the trend throughout his career, his spectacular performances are offset by his lack of consistency.

Problem is, he hasn't even shown much of anything "spectacular" for some time now.

Let's take a closer look at 2006:

Top 4 performances in terms of yards:

Week 10: 265

Week 17: 145 (against a playoff bound Baltimore team, feel free to make assumptions)

Week 3: 107

Week 5: 94

(btw, Buffalo was 1-3 in these games, take it for what it's worth)

Worst 4 performances in terms of yards:

Week 7: 10

Week 2: 19

Week 1: 25

Week 12: 45

So that's 99 yards over one block of four games

And 611 over another block of four games.

Hardly Mr. Consistent.

My issue with the stats you cite, even in Lee's strongest season (2006), 40% of his yards came in only 3 games (18% of the games).

So, as has been the trend throughout his career, his spectacular performances are offset by his lack of consistency.

Problem is, he hasn't even shown much of anything "spectacular" for some time now.

Let's take a closer look at 2006:

Top 4 performances in terms of yards:

Week 10: 265

Week 17: 145 (against a playoff bound Baltimore team, feel free to make assumptions)

Week 3: 107

Week 5: 94

Worst 4 performances in terms of yards:

Week 7: 10

Week 2: 19

Week 1: 25

Week 12: 45

So that's 99 yards over one block of four games

And 611 over another block of four games.

Hardly Mr. Consistent.

You'll find the same fluctuations in virtually every good player's stats. Bruce Smith would often get 3 sacks in a a game and nothing for the next couple.

Btw, even you have to admit that the trade the Bills just made was flat out stupid.

You'll find the same fluctuations in virtually every good player's stats. Bruce Smith would often get 3 sacks in a a game and nothing for the next couple.

Btw, even you have to admit that the trade the Bills just made was flat out stupid.

I don't have to admit anything.

Get used to Dr. Fitz and the Goon Squad.

Also: 99 yards in 4 games in his best season (yard wise). That's a pretty big !@#$ing dropoff.

Edited by The Big Cat

It took the Cards like 3 years to trade AQ for a 2nd round pick. Santonio Holmes was traded for a 5th. We got very good value for a straight line receiver that has had trouble getting open.

Bills fans over value Evans.

It took the Cards like 3 years to trade AQ for a 2nd round pick. Santonio Holmes was traded for a 5th. We got very good value for a straight line receiver that has had trouble getting open.

I agree that the Bills got value. My problem with this is how does another 4th round pick in NEXT years draft improve our offense this year? It don't...

We'll find out soon enough. But I suspect you'll be reconsidering this statement. Lee Evans not only worked hard, was a team guy, a leader, but he forced defenses to respect him even though Buffalo hasn't had anything above a JV QB for his entire career here.

If I'm Fitz, I'm quite upset by this move.