Cards have interest

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may hurt us this year, but may help us more next year and the years afterwards. Evaluating decisions like this is what a GM is paid to do.

I like Lee Evans. But he's older and in a position where we may have very good young depth. I don't know if we do because I haven't really seen much of them. What I've seen I like. The coaches & GM have a better idea.

I would have squawked loudly about trading LE before this year. Right now? Less so. He's only got a couple good years left (& only 2 on his contract) and he doesn't fit our QB's style well. If Fitz fails then we have to find a new QB... We'd be wasting his talents while we break in a rookie. I'd not be too happy for less than a 3rd rounder though.

Trading Lee Evans now would tell me as a fan that the Bills have no interest in winning this year.

They haven't already made this abundantly clear to you?

There isn't a player on this team that I wouldn't listen to offers for. That doesn't mean give him away but please, call and make me an offer.

They haven't already made this abundantly clear to you?

There isn't a player on this team that I wouldn't listen to offers for. That doesn't mean give him away but please, call and make me an offer.

Exactly.

Trade Evans if we can get enough in return.

I would question the impact it would have on Stevie, he hasnt established himself and def benefited from the extra attention Evans received, well at least Evans received something last year.

Evans has 2 years left on his contract. Does anyone think he'll get an extension with the Bills? The Bills have enormous depth at WR. I understand what Evans brings to the table, but the Bills aren't going to the playoffs this year (that might take another year or two). Plus Evans won't be re-signed at the end of his contract, so why not try and get something for him, especially since the Bills are still rebuilding. Why cut one of the young and up incoming WR's for a guy that will be off the team in 2 years?

I agree 100% :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Evans has 2 years left on his contract. Does anyone think he'll get an extension with the Bills? The Bills have enormous depth at WR. I understand what Evans brings to the table, but the Bills aren't going to the playoffs this year (that might take another year or two). Plus Evans won't be re-signed at the end of his contract, so why not try and get something for him, especially since the Bills are still rebuilding. Why cut one of the young and up incoming WR's for a guy that will be off the team in 2 years?

It may hurt us this year, but may help us more next year and the years afterwards. Evaluating decisions like this is what a GM is paid to do.

I like Lee Evans. But he's older and in a position where we may have very good young depth. I don't know if we do because I haven't really seen much of them. What I've seen I like. The coaches & GM have a better idea.

I would have squawked loudly about trading LE before this year. Right now? Less so. He's only got a couple good years left (& only 2 on his contract) and he doesn't fit our QB's style well. If Fitz fails then we have to find a new QB... We'd be wasting his talents while we break in a rookie. I'd not be too happy for less than a 3rd rounder though.

These are two good posts for the pro-trade side.

His age, his contract, and our depth at WR all make him very tradeable right now. Especially if we can squeeze a team for more than his market value.

I'll trust Buddy's decision either way.

The Bill's do have (hypothetically) good depth at the position. Much of this is based on the limited exposure we saw of them last season. But forgive me for doubting their upside, aside from Stevie, there is no top-level talent in that group. Chan said as much when describing board favorite Roosevelt this past week.

Nelson lacks speed, you'd have thought Easley would contribute this year but I'm not even counting on him making the team, and Jones could be good but who really knows?

IMO, holding onto Lee is the prudent move, especially with all the talk regarding how Chan plans to integrate him more into the offense. If he is playing well and the Bills are winning, you keep him. If he is playing good and the Bill's are losing, the price for a WR on the contender could go up due to injuries. Then, you deal him.

This is how I see it.

-The Bills can probably only get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Lee Evans. The more teams that are interested the better it is for the bills.

-I'm sorry, but the Bills are not going to the playoffs this year. Their best shot of winning in the future is to accumulate young players. If they can get a 3rd, they should take the deal. They should not give him away however.

-WR is a position of depth for the Bills. It looks like Bills love Jones, Nelson, and Roosevelt in addition to already productive players like Johnson and Parrish.

-Since there is so my speculation about Evans being traded, I'm assuming the bills are open to trading him. Only time will tell.

IMO, holding onto Lee is the prudent move, especially with all the talk regarding how Chan plans to integrate him more into the offense. If he is playing well and the Bills are winning, you keep him. If he is playing good and the Bill's are losing, the price for a WR on the contender could go up due to injuries. Then, you deal him.

There is no better time to trade Lee Evans than right now, before anyone sees him play. If Arizona needs a complimentary receiver and they are willing to pay for it, do it. Why not? If we aren't able to be in a position to make the playoffs by using our offense as I see now, then give us more tools to improve the team vice hanging onto him for little upside and value.

The Bills have enormous depth at WR

I don't get this comment at all. The Bills have no depth at WR and IMHO kindof weak there still.

Lee Evans - a stud The only world class WR we have

Roscoe Parrish - Good, but small and injury riddled

Steve Johnson - Had a nice year last year. Drops the ball too much. Not world class

David Nelson - A nice player. Not sure if he's an every down WR threat.

Easley - Hasn't seen the field in a game yet and hasn't even seen the practice field much. Total question mark

Donald Jones - A nice player. Kept last year mostly cuz he does special teams too.

Naaman Roosevlt - A nice player, but even coach Gailey says he's too small and slow

Various other scrubs

This doesn't sound like deep quality squad to me. I'd like to see us instead of dump Lee, try to find him some more help.

I don't know exactly what his worth would be to either the Ravens or Cardinals, especially since he would be a great fit for both. That said, if Nix took anything less than a 3rd round pick in next years draft for Evans I'd lose what little faith I have left in his general managers skills. Evans is one of the few good to very good players we have. Trading him away for anything less than a third would be insane. Even then I'd be bummed about losing him.

To all you pro-trade guys, do you ever wonder how many good ball players never reach their potential, playing on a squad that is perpetually flawed, and "building" for some better tomorrow that never seems to come? I don't expect the Bills to win a lot more than they did last year, but it bums me out, going into the season, that the team management is already willing to mail in the season...

To all you pro-trade guys, do you ever wonder how many good ball players never reach their potential, playing on a squad that is perpetually flawed, and "building" for some better tomorrow that never seems to come? I don't expect the Bills to win a lot more than they did last year, but it bums me out, going into the season, that the team management is already willing to mail in the season...

Im not exactly pro-trade, I like Lee Evans as a player and person, but Im willing to listen to offers. Especially if they are for more than his value.

As far as the bold goes... I think #1 there are a lot more bloggers and message board posters discussing this than team management members, and #2 what do you see the Bills doing this year WITH Evans as opposed to without him? It's not like we're tanking our playoff chances by moving one WR.

I understand your point and frustration with the perpetual rebuild, but that would pertain more to letting him walk after his rookie contract was up AND not getting any value for him.

As it stands, Evans is a "speed guy" who is 30 years old, and almost at the end of his contract. If this were another team, theyd be getting compliments for being shrewd with roster moves and knowing when to dump aging vets in order to get value for them. He's bound to lose a step soon. I dont see us signing a 32 year old WR to another big contract.

If the right offer is there, it's not a horrible move to take it.