Cards have interest

After listening to Chan's Presser tonight after practice it sounds like Lee may be headed elsewhere. If they weren't flirting with the idea of trading Evans, Chan and Buddy and Lee for that matter would be shooting down these so called rumors. That does not seem to be the case however. Listen to Gailey speak about the Lee trade rumors from 1:30-2:40.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Wednesday-Night-Press-Conference/6fc70ea0-ca6d-47fd-8d51-a311acc082b5

Personally, I'm a little torn on this one because I like Lee. I have however noticed his drop in production the last couple of seasons, and the builds are in a rebuilding mode. The Bills haven't exactly been winning with Lee so why not grab a mid round pick for a guy who probably won't be making contributions for the Bills in a couple of years. I think Lee is solid, but by the time the Bills are ready to compete for the division (at least another year away) will he even be around anyway?

I actually thought the Bills WR crew was quite competent looking @ Miami late last season w/out Lee. I also don't think Fitz has as much faith in Lee as he does in Stevie. Who knows, like I said I'm torn, but it's definitely starting to appear that the Bills are entertaining the idea of a 2011 season w/out Lee in the fold.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After listening to Chan's Presser tonight after practice it sounds like Lee may be headed elsewhere. If they weren't flirting with the idea of trading Evans, Chan and Buddy and Lee for that matter would be shooting down these so called rumors. That does not seem to be the case however. Listen to Gailey speak about the Lee trade rumors from 1:30-2:40.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Wednesday-Night-Press-Conference/6fc70ea0-ca6d-47fd-8d51-a311acc082b5

Personally, I'm a little torn on this one because I like Lee. I have however noticed his drop in production the last couple of seasons, and the builds are in a rebuilding mode. The Bills haven't exactly been winning with Lee so why not grab a mid round pick for a guy who probably won't be making contributions for the Bills in a couple of years. I think Lee is solid, but by the time the Bills are ready to compete for the division (at least another year away) will he even be around anyway?

I actually thought the Bills WR crew was quite competent looking @ Miami late last season w/out Lee. I also don't think Fitz has as much faith in Lee as he does in Stevie. Who knows, like I said I'm torn, but it's definitely starting to appear that the Bills are entertaining the idea of a 2011 season w/out Lee in the fold.

I got that impression as well.

"Prelim...in-arily That's a hard word for someone from south Georgia to say" Cracked me up.

I am being serious. I originally stated that I'd listen to offers for everyone and you asked if I'd specifically trade Dareus. I don't know what your intent was in asking about that player specifically. Whether it was to make me contradict myself or respond the way I did so you could be dismissive in return. Your question was no more ridiculous than my original statement. Clearly I'm not advocating actively shopping our #1 draft pick from this year. Obviously in my scenario some players would be more expensive than others but that doesn't mean you don't listen. Dareus would be in the very small group of players you'd really have to convince me to deal and if someone wants to throw that deal I'd listen. I don't expect them to but it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. I counter your question with one of my own, would you trade Spiller?

"Realistically" I'd look at any player on the roster who is 30 or older right now or whose contract expires in 2 years or less that we likely wouldn't want to re-sign (Donte Whitner at the start of last year) or who will likely command an insane premium that recent team history suggests we won't meet (see also Paul Pozluszny, Jason Peters, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Jabari Greer). I'm writing off 2011 and 2012 and looking at 2013. If players are not going to be on the team in 2013 I move them now and collect assets that will be on the team in 2013 rather than let them walk for nothing. Lee Evans is one of those players. He will not be on this team in 2013, therefore if AZ or Baltimore wants to turn him into an asset I can use in the future I do it. The Bills would be smart to make decisions like this now and extend Stevie Johnson (if that's their intent) right now rather than after the year and front load the deal like the Eagles have done in order to take care of their player and preserve future cap space (we all know that won't happen and why it won't). If he has another year like last year he only gets more expensive and more likely to fall into the Clements/Winfield category.

The Bills are the Florida Marlins of the NFL and need to realize that if they know they can't keep someone (won't is usually more accurate) it's better to get something for them than to let them walk for nothing. They need to embrace the fact that they can only be cyclically good at best. The Marlins are terrible right now but have won 2 WS titles by riding the crest of young talent right before selling it off to restock and build another wave because they knew they couldn't pay Josh Beckett, AJ Burnett, Miguel Cabrera and the like when they were bidding against the big boys in the open market.

You've already pegged the Bills at 6 wins this year. How many wins does Lee Evans get you as opposed to anyone else you can put in that spot including anyone else on the roster or any other FAs you could sign? 1? Maybe? What's the difference between 6 and 5? Would you be substantially more satisfied with a 6 win season than a 5 win knowing that Evans could get you something of value?

bubba, my point in regards to you being serious was proposing the Bills get five first-round picks, a mountain of gold, a brand new stadium and free pizza for life in exchange for Lee Evans Marcell Dareus.

as to your point here, there's very little difference between 5 and 6 wins. and yet, the offense made modest gains a year ago and it would hurt the development of this team and offense to trade away Lee Evans for what's likely a 4th-round selection at best. the offense needs to continue making progress and this would be a significant setback, minus of course someone offering the team five first-round picks as you've suggested.

i prefer to be rooted in a more realistic world.

jw

OOPS: i mistook the conversation and apologize for suggesting the Bills could get five first-round picks for Evans. the conversation here was about whether you were in favor of trading Dareus. and you suggested the Bills could get like 5 picks and Fort Knox for him, that would work. ... well ... sure.

Edited by john wawrow

http://www.buffalobi...51-a311acc082b5

It matters who the opposing coaches have faith in and where the safeties line up.

Last year they consistently doubled Lee and left Stevie singled up. Doubles = lower production.

I don't think there's another wideout on the Bills right now who draws that kind of respect. Lose Lee, Stevie gets doubled, his numbers go down - do we have someone ready to pick up the slack?

I do agree that Fitz and Lee just don't seem to be developing the same chemistry. I thought maybe it was they didn't have the reps together, thing is as I recall Lee wasn't part of the AZ gathering and so forth.

I'm not sure they;re getting on the same page.

http://www.buffalobi...51-a311acc082b5

Wow, I don't hear the same thing at all. He says he hasn't been involved in any discussions and a lot of time these things are just rumors.

What would you like to hear, that would make you feel it's not true?

bubba, my point in regards to you being serious was proposing the Bills get five first-round picks, a mountain of gold, a brand new stadium and free pizza for life in exchange for Lee Evans.

as to your point here, there's very little difference between 5 and 6 wins. and yet, the offense made modest gains a year ago and it would hurt the development of this team and offense to trade away Lee Evans for what's likely a 4th-round selection at best. the offense needs to continue making progress and this would be a significant setback, minus of course someone offering the team five first-round picks as you've suggested.

i prefer to be rooted in a more realistic world.

jw

Honestly JW, he makes a very good point about looking long-term. I'm against trading Lee because it seems like every year the Bills trade away one of their best players for a bag of magic beans. But I'm finding it hard to argue with Papi's reasoning. If the Bills are focused on 2013, they ought to be stockpiling young talent. Evans won't be a key contributor in two years, but the player they draft in exchange for trading him will be (if they don't blow the pick).

Honestly JW, he makes a very good point about looking long-term. I'm against trading Lee because it seems like every year the Bills trade away one of their best players for a bag of magic beans. But I'm finding it hard to argue with Papi's reasoning. If the Bills are focused on 2013, they ought to be stockpiling young talent. Evans won't be a key contributor in two years, but the player they draft in exchange for trading him will be (if they don't blow the pick).

Coach, with all due respect here. i was merely responding to bubba's contention that there's a possibility that the Bills could get 5 first-round picks for someone like Dareus. let's be realistic here. it's not gonna happen.

jw

Coach, with all due respect here. i was merely responding to bubba's contention that there's a possibility that the Bills could get 5 first-round picks for someone like Dareus. let's be realistic here. it's not gonna happen.

jw

I don't know anything about that - sounds ridiculous. I'm much more interested in his point about the long-term focus of the team, his comparison to other small market franchises like the Marlins, and his view about trading aging assets like Evans.

jw

To be fair, I believe he was just using an exaggerated example to disagree with your comment saying that not everyone should be tradeable. Nobody in their right mind would give up 5 firsts for anyone on the Bills, but the point I believe was that if you get a trade offer for any roster player that you think makes your team better in the short and long term, you do it. Can't say I disagree with that.

I wonder, what kind of season would Lee have if we cut him in the preseason just to see the Pats sign him? Given their penchant for good pass protection, I would think that Lee would be quite productive with Brady throwing to him.

Moss would relinquish his td record

Edited by Defend Greece

jw

I didn't contend that such a thing would happen at all. All I did was reference a trade from NFL history that was ridiculous and change the dates to the current. What I wrote down was exactly the content of the Herschel Walker trade that Dallas got back. I didn't even remotely suggest that I even remotely expected that it would occur. It was insane at the time and even more ridiculous in hindsight but it DID happen and it only happened because Dallas was willing to listen.

My original statement was that I'd listen to everyone about anyone. Surely you understand that's different from saying I'll trade everyone for anything. If GM X calls me up on the phone and says I want to talk about getting Dareus from you I'm not hanging up the phone. Go ahead, make an offer. It doesn't mean I'm taking it but why wouldn't I at least hear you out in case you forgot to take your meds this morning and are channeling your inner Minnesota Vikings?

I agree that Evans is probably going to fetch a 4, a 3 if they're lucky. I'd take a 3, for a 4 I'll hold onto him and wait for more players to get hurt this pre-season and see if someone really gets antsy.

And once again I don't particularly care for your patronizing tone given that you obviously didn't read what I wrote in the context of the conversation. Just because my post count is low doesn't mean I'm either new here, stupid, or 14 years old. If that's how you're going to respond to people you're no better than the bait trolls.

Just saw on twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/nfldraftupdate

" nfldraftupdate Dion Caputi There's a suspicion around the league that the #Cardinals won't

be willing to offer any more than a 5th rd pick for #Bills WR Lee Evans."

5 minutes ago

" nfldraftupdate Dion Caputi :Theres been a report that #Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome has been making calls;

Baltimore seems the front-runner for #Bills WR Lee Evans right now"

2 minutes ago

I didn't contend that such a thing would happen at all. All I did was reference a trade from NFL history that was ridiculous and change the dates to the current. What I wrote down was exactly the content of the Herschel Walker trade that Dallas got back. I didn't even remotely suggest that I even remotely expected that it would occur. It was insane at the time and even more ridiculous in hindsight but it DID happen and it only happened because Dallas was willing to listen.

My original statement was that I'd listen to everyone about anyone. Surely you understand that's different from saying I'll trade everyone for anything. If GM X calls me up on the phone and says I want to talk about getting Dareus from you I'm not hanging up the phone. Go ahead, make an offer. It doesn't mean I'm taking it but why wouldn't I at least hear you out in case you forgot to take your meds this morning and are channeling your inner Minnesota Vikings?

I agree that Evans is probably going to fetch a 4, a 3 if they're lucky. I'd take a 3, for a 4 I'll hold onto him and wait for more players to get hurt this pre-season and see if someone really gets antsy.

And once again I don't particularly care for your patronizing tone given that you obviously didn't read what I wrote in the context of the conversation. Just because my post count is low doesn't mean I'm either new here, stupid, or 14 years old. If that's how you're going to respond to people you're no better than the bait trolls.

I read your posts and I agree with you. I don't think Mr. Wawrow read your post, or was having trouble comprehending it. Haha.

I bet Evans gets traded within a day. That's what my gut says, anyhow. It's been 7 years, I wish Lee well. I hope he can go to a winner and make a difference.

Edited by cantankerous

IMO, people should just take Buddy Nix at his word. He's sneaky like that. By not denying the rumors, he ups the asking price. He says, all the time, that he will make the team better if a player or offer comes up. So he's listening to offers for Evans. If he doesn't like them, he doesn't make the trade. He's very likely not going to like them. He hasn't been actively shopping Evans, he's listening to offers from teams who see we have a logjam of talent and an under utilized veteran that could help them. He and Gailey don't need to shoot down rumors. They will disappear if he is not traded in a week. IF someone offers a substantial player or pick, Buddy will entertain that offer and decide if he thinks it will ultimately help the team. If he is offered a 4th or 5th rounder, Evans stays.

Frankly, I don't think he should be traded. But Buddy Nix is thinking both long term and short term, and he is taking each offer at face value. If it's a significant one, he considers it. If it's not, Evans stays and plays. Simple as that. It's not going to be a huge distraction because the players like him and he is not going to be a jerk. It's not the best situation because they have to answer questions about it but they know the real world they live in.

By not denying it, Nix ups the ante and offers. If they reach what he feels is a good deal considering the compensation and the players behind Evans, they may make a deal. I hope they don't.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog