Whitner signs with Cincy

Bengals board is pretty optimistic, i like it... wish we had some of that around here sometimes.. Good pickup for them, whitner is physical and that is a very physical division. He will help them out. I also can't hardly wait to see the figures

He's the perfect pickup for a team going nowhere but down. What a mess.

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish him well, and think he is a pretty good player. He was always fighting against his draft slot and Ngata, and that cost him a lot in the fans' eyes. But on the field he was not a bad player. If he and George Wilson traded draft slots I don't think Donte would have been so unpopular. But not a big loss for us as long as Byrd and Wilson stay healthy (I think Donte is better than our safety depth). Like with Poz, I think the guy at the top of our depth chart will be fine and we won't suffer there.

I wouldn't be so quick to appoint Wilson the replacement starter (although he probably has the edge). Bryan Scott has a lot of experience there, has very good size and tackling ability, and can cover TE's WAY better than Whitner ever could. Who knows, Searcy might even make a push. That's a decent SS competition, we are in pretty good shape there.

Byrd is a FS, where I imagine he will continue to start

Thanks Turbosrrgood. Guess I got my SS and FS positions mixed. Hope Byrd can get back to form.

Thats good about the competition at the SS then.

Thats my problem - simply having competition does not imply we are in good shape. If anything we added a small question mark to the contingent that looked most solid on this team.

Both Wilson and Scott have had significant starting time, and IMO have looked MUCH better and have been more consistent than Whitner was. I don't think either of these guys will be making the pro-bowl, but I think letting either of these guys replace Whitner instantly makes us a little better.

Maybe not everyone shares my opinion of Whitner, but I thought he was absolutely awful. He made a decent amount of tackles, and occasionally laid a big hit. However the things I really notice about when Whitner plays is his inconsistency (accept his ability to consistently get blown away by even average TE's). Among the most frustrating things was his tendancy to line up for a big hit, only to bounce off and have the player keep running. When the ball was in the air Whitner looked as lost as any safety I have ever seen. He had no idea how to take a good angle, or make any sort of play on the ball. Actually, on many occasions he appeared to let the WR catch the ball, so he could try to hit him instead of breaking it up. I would take Jasper as our starting SS over whitner. Wilson and Scott are no studs, but they have proven that they can provide a reliable, consistent mix of coverage and tackling. Wilson is even a decent INT threat. I'll take that at this point.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Good point. I should have been more precise. I intended to say that Whitner could have been traded for something of value rather than let him leave and getting nothing in return. The timing of the trade should not have been restricted to last year alone when a trade would have been more difficult.

However, the Bills have a dismal record in this department. There are many draft picks from the top rounds in recent years that have left the team no or little value returning. This is clearly a negative and has contributed to the Bills quagmire over the last decade.

I'll push back on this point, because I don't think anyone would (or should) have been trying to trade Whitner prior to last year. It's not as if he was a team cancer or injury prone.

What's the last example you can cite of a team trading a productive player away before he became a free agent? Good players aren't generally traded without there being some other issue at play.

Now, if you're referring to the Bills losing Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements to free agency rather than re-signing them, those were clearly financial decisions made by a different front office. Over the last five or six years, though, I can't come up with an example of the Bills losing a player of value for nothing.

The most recent first rounder to leave the Bills was Lynch, for whom a draft pick WAS acquired.

I think my issue is that I simply don't agree with your premise.

I've seen every home Bills game for the past 20 years, seeing the whole field from the upper deck - trust me - Whitner is just good enough to be an AWFUL NFL starter. Good luck to him in Cincinnati. We are losing absolutely nothing with his absence except injury protection - but my guess is that there's always a veteran safety out there if that happens.

Donte wanted 5+ plus per season, hit free agency and found out what everyone knew from watching film. He wasn't even worth half that.

I never dog on Bills players either. The situation has to be truly awful and real for me to say anything. In this case - it is. Luckily the coaches agree.