Donte say's his heart is in Buffalo

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he'll be back. With this unusual free agency period, time is of the essence for guys in this buyers market. They want to play and need to play somewhere. I don't think the Bills turn away depth and a decent player familiar with the defense over personal feelings.

The Bengals appeared to be the only serious interest and that looks to have ended.

Whitner is a solid player, and I couldn't care less about his tweets.

But my guess is that the Bills have moved on. If their starting lineup at safety is George Wilson and Jairus Byrd, and their depth at the position is Bryan Scott and Searcy, where in that equation would Whitner fit? They don't need more depth players at safety, and Wilson's pass coverage is better than Whitner's.

and Wilson's pass coverage is better than Whitner's.

George Wilson's EVERYTHING is better than Whitner's. Better instincts, better hands, better height, better tackling, better playmaker, better leadership... better player, period.

i like donte. guy plays with passion and is a student of the game. he just seems to have a bit of an inflated sense of value (which he may be coming down on) and is a bit a a twitter drama queen. i don't think there is any question about his desire to win or that he is a team player. i'm just not sure if he reallt fits here with his personality and i wish him the best wherever he goes. i just think if he comes back it may be a bit awkward.

Yeah

I say no to bringing back Donte Whitner.....a few reasons why?

Poor ball skills

Lacks any playmaking ability

Not a good tackler

Takes unnecessary penalties

Not a leader of men!

Unfashionable and over compensates with too much colonge

Says and tweets stupidness

I say no to bringing back Donte Whitner.....a few reasons why?

Poor ball skills

Lacks any playmaking ability

Not a good tackler

Takes unnecessary penalties

Not a leader of men!

Unfashionable and over compensates with too much colonge

Says and tweets stupidness

I don't know about items 3 and 4. His tackling wasn't bad; far better than Poz who would let the TE or RB duke him out of his stance. As for the penalties, Florence had a lot more pass interference calls that Donte ever did. You could always count on an interference call against Florence to keep a drive alive.

I don't know about items 3 and 4. His tackling wasn't bad; far better than Poz who would let the TE or RB duke him out of his stance. As for the penalties, Florence had a lot more pass interference calls that Donte ever did. You could always count on an interference call against Florence to keep a drive alive.

It's hard to get called for pass interference when you're completely out of position...

There were so many posters on this board who said that once Lil Donte hit the market, he'd be snatched up in a second!! :w00t: Where is Dean???!!! :nana:

Lil Donte is an average safety. He is jack of all trades and a master of none. I'd sign him to a 1 year contract so he could show the heir apparent HOW NOT TO PLAY safety. :sick:

Isn't Donte the guy everyone was blaming our inability to cover TE's on last year? Thanks, but I'll pass. Sometimes it is truly addition by subtraction.

It's not like he got burned by Ben Watson twice, running the same play, to lose the game that the Pats came back to win on both of those plays.

Oh right... :thumbdown:

I would be wrong not to mention Leodis's nice fumble to force Donte into blowing the coverage.

Edited by The Wiz

I wish Donte the best...but, I will swan dive off of the Hover Dam...if the Bills give him a long tern contract of 5 million per year!

His bipolar tweets have ruined my life as a Bills fan over the past 2 years!

It's amazing how much fans are concerned about player salaries.. It's not your money why do you care what the guy is paid?

His tweets ruined your life? Your life must be pretty sad if his tweets ruined it. How about this.. don't read twitter?

Even if your assessment is correct you would have to think this coaching staff doesn't agree since Whitner started over Wilson all last season.

Yes - but they also started Edwards over Fitzpatrick as well. They watched and they learned. It took a little more time with Whitner - and because he is such a vocal guy in the lockerroom. Honestly, if Wilson didn't have that same leadership ability, I'd think twice too. They call him the "Senator" - he's a more mature team leader.

All this being said, I would love to see this position get better talent over Wilson. He's not the be-all-end-all safety. He's just better than the player demanding to get paid in the top 5 at his position, when in truth, he's in the bottom 5. Free agency shined on light on that beast for certain.

Whitner is a solid player, and I couldn't care less about his tweets.

But my guess is that the Bills have moved on. If their starting lineup at safety is George Wilson and Jairus Byrd, and their depth at the position is Bryan Scott and Searcy, where in that equation would Whitner fit? They don't need more depth players at safety, and Wilson's pass coverage is better than Whitner's.

easy - you carry 5 guys.

Yes - but they also started Edwards over Fitzpatrick as well. They watched and they learned. It took a little more time with Whitner - and because he is such a vocal guy in the lockerroom. Honestly, if Wilson didn't have that same leadership ability, I'd think twice too. They call him the "Senator" - he's a more mature team leader.

All this being said, I would love to see this position get better talent over Wilson. He's not the be-all-end-all safety. He's just better than the player demanding to get paid in the top 5 at his position, when in truth, he's in the bottom 5. Free agency shined on light on that beast for certain.

I think they call him Senator because he is the team's NFLPA rep...

I thought it was his tweets that "ruined your life as a bills fan the last 2 years".

Our run d is what has killed our team the last couple years. We've upgraded our run d this offseason, but losing donte would be a negative blow to our run d. It would still be better than last year, but keeping donte would strengthen it even more. Play Wilson on obvious passing downs and whitner on obv running downs. We've added Barnett, who is great in coverage. He can help cover the TEs too.

He's not going to make or break our team, but he IS an asset vs the run and would add even greater depth to our secondary. Don't break the bank for him, but sign him for the right price.

id also bet that with a pass rush, a single position, and some linebackers that can stop the run -- his coverage would be better.

having to keep an eye in the backfield, while rotating between nickel, FS, SS week to week, and having to hold coverage forever is not helping his coverage.

that said, i worry that he quit and pouted on the field the last month of last year, and if that feeling is true, you CAN NOT bring him back. if not he is a leader in the secondary, and a good, reliable, player. Not worth breaking the bank for 7M like he wanted but id give 4-5m every day of the week on a short (3year) deal.

Donte is a baller, everybody on our d looked bad except Kyle (although he teams did take advantage of his penetration on draws and counters), but on paper our d looks pretty good, that and a pretty stellar collection of defensive position coaches and you might get to see a donte that isn't forced to play in the box and have to try to turn and run, but one who gets to play deep

There were so many posters on this board who said that once Lil Donte hit the market, he'd be snatched up in a second!! :w00t:Where is Dean???!!! :nana:

If you REALLY want to know, :doh:

He's still on this Steely Dan board I read every now & then, do a Edit>Find on "Dean":

http://www.dandom.com/blue/index.html

Just as big of a jackass with people who don't agree with him on there as he is on here. :D

"i worry that he quit...you CAN NOT bring him back."

This quote from NoSaint could be definitive. He cleaned out his locker. He quit. I hope he finds inspiration some where else.

I do not even know what he tweeted but the locker run away thing was not a team player attitude and we should tender him nothing. we will be fine.

Would love to see Donte back in uniform. Low $$$ with high incentives. Of all the first rounders that have come and gone in buffalo I felt he had his heart in the team. We've been cursed with 1st rounders that now play for other teams and out of all of those players Donte is the only one who I ever thought really wanted BUFFALO as a franchise to succeed. He's great with the younger guys and I would love to see him on the field with this upcoming defense. Again though Low $$$

id also bet that with a pass rush, a single position, and some linebackers that can stop the run -- his coverage would be better.

This is a big misnomer. His coverage would not be any better. The rest of the team would be better able to cover for his liability.

Donte twittered himself out of more money than Ko Simpson is worth.

twitter 1 min ago, assume he coming back?

I would sooner assume that he has no takers, so he is trying to grease the skids to come back. Now he is going to start saying good things about the Bills, where were those positive comments the past six months? He is getting a little skiddish now that training camps are underway and he didn't have a dozen teams knocking down his door like he thought he would.

I would love to tap Buddy's phone to see how the talks with Donte's agent are going.

Buddy- "Three years, 6 million"

Agent-"C'mon, you were offering 5 last week"

Buddy-"You misunderstood, I was asking Chan to gimme 5 cause Donte's Twitter account was someone else's issue"

He must have the bills and another offer on the table(ciny?), and they must be pretty similar. Maybe he thinks if he talk about how much he like buffalo, the other team will sweaten there offer. He can't practice till friday so why not wait to see if he can get a better offer. I would still sign him to a 1 year offer for 3 to 4 mil, to see what he can do with a better d-line and better d coaching staff. I really don't care if we over pay for him for a year. To me to doesn't matter if the money sits in his bank account or ralphs. There not going to use it on anyone else.

I think they call him Senator because he is the team's NFLPA rep...

Also bc he talks all the time and hogs the attention when the press comes into the locker room, lol. I like Wilson a lot, has his share of clutch INTs/pick sixes so I really like him for that.

Speaking of being a leader, Whitner seemed to have gone out of his way to be somewhat of a leader for the defensive corps: I remember hearing about how he'd have his defense over for dinner, film sessions, etc. But the occasional jaw-shattering hit and camraderie a starting SS does not make, and he definitely didn't deserve the money he was asking for. Hopefully he can stay, but as many other posters have said, the Bills have plenty of safeties at the moment who are filling roster spots at a much more reasonable price.