Bills interested in OT Tyson Clabo

Does there have to be a link for everything? What the heck did people like you do before internet? If you have been a Bills for more than 20 minutes or haven't been in a coma for the past decade you would know what I was talking about.

You would sooner see them sign Ralph himself to a 1 year $39 million contract to meet the minimum then put him and his oxygen on the bench.

Mark Gaughan talks about it on the Billboard (on the Buffalo News site). The Bills didn't pony up. It's pretty simple.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Gaughan talks about it on the Billboard (on the Buffalo News site). The Bills didn't pony up. It's pretty simple.

Really depends on your definition of "pony up" doesn't it? Gaughan didn't trash the Bills, and didn't provide any information as to what they offered. As many have stated, there were a multitude of reasons why Clabo coming to Buffalo was a longshot. Since the Bills were one of two teams remaining in the running for his services, I think it's a pretty fair assumption they weren't trying to "lowball" him or get him "on the cheap."

People are funny.

My question is this - while I know that RT was a weak spot on the line last year, is our line somehow much *worse* because we lost out on Clabo? He would have solidified that RT spot, but if we can get someone to play at least adequate should (hopefully) improve in year 2 of Chan's system...

Should be interesting to see what Wood brings to the C position too.

Thoughts?

Look a whole post not talking about contract terms for a guys we didn't sign...

My question is this - while I know that RT was a weak spot on the line last year, is our line somehow much *worse* because we lost out on Clabo? He would have solidified that RT spot, but if we can get someone to play at least adequate should (hopefully) improve in year 2 of Chan's system...

Thoughts?

It's not just losing out on Clabo. Perhaps there's something else in the works, but as of now there's not even any buzz about addressing the weakest position on the field. And given Clabo's contract figures it seems highly likely he could have been had for a reasonable sum. Perhaps not. I'll hold out judgment until we see what comes out in the wash, but it isn't looking good.

Thoughts?

Thats why we are all pissed.....tired of adequate play... thats no longer an option. I do think Wood is going to be a beast a center. Potential Probowler

Really depends on your definition of "pony up" doesn't it? Gaughan didn't trash the Bills, and didn't provide any information as to what they offered. As many have stated, there were a multitude of reasons why Clabo coming to Buffalo was a longshot. Since the Bills were one of two teams remaining in the running for his services, I think it's a pretty fair assumption they weren't trying to "lowball" him or get him "on the cheap."

People are funny.

I know. What I meant was that they didn't match the offer or rise above it - nothing more. Personally, I have no idea whether Clabo is any good or not, and I doubt many of the pontificators here know either.

If we lowballed him in any way, it would not have taken until 7pm yesterday for Clabo to decide. Even if he was only using us for leverage (which also means he still wasnt going to come no matter what we offered).

Reports from everywhere were that the Bills were making a strong push and our offer forced him to consider leaving Atlanta.

Im very disappointed that he chose to stay with the Falcons, but I believe we made a good offer and he just wanted a chance to be a starter on a Championship team.

You can ass-u-me anything you want as well. It would be nice to find out our actual offer, although Im not sure that info usually comes out...

If we lowballed him in any way, it would not have taken until 7pm yesterday for Clabo to decide. Even if he was only using us for leverage (which also means he still wasnt going to come no matter what we offered).

Reports from everywhere were that the Bills were making a strong push and our offer forced him to consider leaving Atlanta.

Im very disappointed that he chose to stay with the Falcons, but I believe we made a good offer and he just wanted a chance to be a starter on a Championship team.

You can ass-u-me anything you want as well. It would be nice to find out our actual offer, although Im not sure that info usually comes out...

Totally agree - it sounds to me like the Falcons were offering less, Buffalo made a final offer (I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same deal he ended up getting from ATL), he went back and gave ATL one last chance to meet it, they did, he signed back with "his team".

If we were way out of the ballpark this would have been over before it started...

Boy from Tennessee, played college ball in North Carolina...I'd love to see the numbers the Bills offered, but as you know, southern girls don't like to be too far from their Mom, especially with an all of the sudden big family. Check the AJC article below.

Clabo's family

I know. What I meant was that they didn't match the offer or rise above it - nothing more. Personally, I have no idea whether Clabo is any good or not, and I doubt many of the pontificators here know either.

C'mon Dave. Clabo was listed at or near the top of every expert's top FA list. You make it sound like we have to have actually watched the guy play a bunch of times before we form an opinion. That is so pre-Internet.

GO BILLS!!!

You offer 7 mil a year instead of 5 and Id think that would have gotten the job done. Maybe even 8. How we will spend this money is going to make me cry

Edited by BeastMode54

IMO, the Bills probably offered him $6 mil a year or more, and more guaranteed and with all the factors, he simply decided that $25 million was enough. Not everyone is a greedy bastard. It was probably a very hard decision for the guy and he was leaning toward Buffalo because the Bills offered substantially more money, but when the Falcons went up on their last offer of 5-25-11.5 guaranteed, it was just enough to get him to stay and leave money on the table. Maybe a lot of money.

What is not known is whether we offered, say, 7 mil a year.

IMO, the Bills probably offered him $6 mil a year or more, and more guaranteed and with all the factors, he simply decided that $25 million was enough. Not everyone is a greedy bastard. It was probably a very hard decision for the guy and he was leaning toward Buffalo because the Bills offered substantially more money, but when the Falcons went up on their last offer of 5-25-11.5 guaranteed, it was just enough to get him to stay and leave money on the table. Maybe a lot of money.

And who knows if his wife was in his ear about moving and uprooting the kids, etc. Families can do that to you.

PTR

You offer 7 mil a year instead of 5 and Id think that would have gotten the job done. Maybe even 8. How we will spend this money is going to make me cry

Does it ever get to the point that you are spending stupid money on a player just to make a point? The Bills supposedly offered Clabo $5M more than the Falcons. If $5M won't move a guy, will $10M? $15M? Especially if his family has a say in it?

PTR

Boy from Tennessee, played college ball in North Carolina...I'd love to see the numbers the Bills offered, but as you know, southern girls don't like to be too far from their Mom, especially with an all of the sudden big family. Check the AJC article below.

Clabo's family

After reading that article I don't think he was moving for any amount.

Don't forget that the NYS taxation situation probably made both the Buffalo and Atlanta's final offers pretty even enough, so in the end he and his family stayed put. Unfortunately the Bills have to way overpay on a quality guy like that because of where they're located.