Brad Smith...Update...signs with Buffalo

LOL. Breaks my heart! Give me your login, and I'll hit the button for you.

I feel what you are saying here, but I don't think that the team with the most versatile #3 QB is the key to making the playoffs. Can he stop the run? Run Block? Pass Block? Lead a defense from the LB spot? That's what I want. If we get Clabo though, I like the Smith signing a tad more.

This still makes him a guy that isn't good enough to start at any position. He hasn't even been better on returns than most of our own guys.

I get it. Just not impressed. do you really need to be great at #3 QB?

My only concern is that we paid a lot for him. He clearly has some game-changing ability on a better team than us... Can he do it for us?

I do like that we are on the cutting edge of taking advantage of the new 3rd QB rule. So, yes he's way better than our #3 QB. He'll contribute on the field.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only concern is that we paid a lot for him. He clearly has some game-changing ability on a better team than us... Can he do it for us?

I do like that we are on the cutting edge of taking advantage of the new 3rd QB rule. So, yes he's way better than our #3 QB. He'll contribute on the field.

I can agree with this. I don't mind Smith. Just don't think this team needed him. I will root for him though. At least your analysis is somewhat objective and makes sense. And, I like what Gailey can do with personnel.

But overall he's still a player, that isn't good enough to be a starter at any position on the field, other than special teams, and we have great guys already there returning kicks and punts. 4 Million per is a lot for that.

I do hope it works out though.....I don't drive 10 hours per home game to hope we suck. I'm so sick of being garbage.

Edited by Lv-Bills

LOL. Breaks my heart! Give me your login, and I'll hit the button for you.

I feel what you are saying here, but I don't think that the team with the most versatile #3 QB is the key to making the playoffs. Can he stop the run? Run Block? Pass Block? Lead a defense from the LB spot? That's what I want. If we get Clabo though, I like the Smith signing a tad more.

This still makes him a guy that isn't good enough to start at any position. He hasn't even been better on returns than most of our own guys.

I get it. Just not impressed. do you really need to be great at #3 QB?

Your reaction is really starting to border on the absurd. Given that it has been pointed out countless times that signing Smith does not preclude the Bills from signing other players, I'm pretty sure you really don't get it.

I can agree with this. I don't mind Smith. Just don't think this team needed him. I will root for him though. At least your analysis is somewhat objective and makes sense. And, I like what Gailey can do with personnel.

But overall he's still a player, that isn't good enough to be a starter at any position on the field, other than special teams, and we have great guys already there returning kicks and punts. 4 Million per is a lot for that.

I do hope it works out though.....I don't drive 10 hours per home game to hope we suck. I'm so sick of being garbage.

Not saying this is a spectacular move or anything, but I am not sure who the "great guys" are on the Bills returning kicks. Spiller was the best and he averaged 23 yds per return. Smith averaged almost 29 - 2nd in the league in yds/return and 5th overall in yards. He did not return punts for the Jets and probably will not for the Bills as Roscoe is very good at that. This is a major upgrade to the return game and adds offensive flexibility and roster flexibility potentially. Good, not great, move IMO, although I would prefer to see an OT and ILB first. If they manage to fill those plus this move, it will look alot better.

Are people really complaining about putting a proven Playmaker on the roster? Seriously? Anytime you get a chance to sign a playmaker to your roster (who actually wants to be here), then you DO IT! If you're concerned about a roster spot, well then take a "non-playmaker" off your roster!

Not saying this is a spectacular move or anything, but I am not sure who the "great guys" are on the Bills returning kicks. Spiller was the best and he averaged 23 yds per return. Smith averaged almost 29 - 2nd in the league in yds/return and 5th overall in yards. He did not return punts for the Jets and probably will not for the Bills as Roscoe is very good at that. This is a major upgrade to the return game and adds offensive flexibility and roster flexibility potentially. Good, not great, move IMO, although I would prefer to see an OT and ILB first. If they manage to fill those plus this move, it will look alot better.

Absolutely. That's all I'm saying. Although I would call it decent move UNLESS they improve every down need positions. Then this move gets better and better.

But, Smith isn't really better than McGee or McKelvin returning kicks. Bobby April leaving is probably the reason we slipped some on ST last year, not our returners. And all I kept hearing was how Spiller was going to handle kickoffs and make the NFL fear him. Well, now Spiller is even less valauable as a first round pick, because we needed Smith. I do understand that McGee no longer returns kicks and gets hurt alot. Ditto for McKelvin. But Brad Smith brings nothing to this team that we haven't seen before out of guys that are still on this roster.

It's funny that Terrence McGee has pretty much meant nothing to this roster since he stopped returing kicks. Is McKelvin going that way too?

Hopefully Smith will pick up this aspect of our game again. We'll see. Other than that, he's a gimmick. Maybe it'll mean a TD or two in a big spot.....who knows. We can only hope.

What he did at college is irrelevant

Thank You! Do you know how many of these guys there are......per year? I'm not even sure Brad Smith, best player in the B-12, is anywhere near a true statement. I'd have to see Texas and Oklahoma's rosters at the time.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Maybe it'll mean a TD or two in a big spot

That can make a big differnce in the W/L column, especilly with Chan's philosophy of keeping games tight and going for 'last shot' wins.

McGee is over the hill and McLuv'n is a hand grenade. IMO, Smith is going to be the primary KR and Spiller will be the change of pace guy, or possibly the punt returner if Roscoe is dealt.

... But Brad Smith brings nothing to this team that we haven't seen before out of guys that are still on this roster...

You either totally ignored the others who've posted a list of things Smith brings or you have never seen the guy play an entire game with the Jets.

There is no need for me to repeat what others have said but maybe it's worth waiting to see how he's used and what he does over the course of the season BEFORE we decide what he does and doesn't bring to the team.

Or feel free to raise your blood pressure however you see fit.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Are people really complaining about putting a proven Playmaker on the roster? Seriously? Anytime you get a chance to sign a playmaker to your roster (who actually wants to be here), then you DO IT! If you're concerned about a roster spot, well then take a "non-playmaker" off your roster!

My concern is more that I don't think guys like Smith will be able to make plays without a solid foundation around them. The Jets had/have that solid foundation, the Bills don't. I look at this signing a lot like the Spiller pick last year (although not NEARLY as bad - <$4mil/year is a lot easier to swallow than the #9 pick). A lot of the justification in this thread reminds me a lot of the Spiller justification after the draft last year. Gailey designing special offensive packages, the opposing defense having to gameplan for him, etc. I think those things would be true if we had a solid fundamental offense, and could add those packages on top of it, but we don't. So we'll see. Like I said before, I'm curious to hear/see how Gailey plans on using Smith. I'm expecting him to play a larger role than he did with the Jets, otherwise it's hard to justify his contract.

If it's any consolation, I think Miami is much dumber for trading for Reggie Bush and (allegedly) promising him that he'll be The Man at RB. Bush is another luxury playmaker like Spiller or Smith. He can add a very dangerous dimension to an otherwise good offense, but I don't see a lot of value unless you already have the good offense. Reggie Bush can take your offense from good to great but not from mediocre to good.

We lost 5 games by 5 pts or less last year. I'll take a versatile weapon for offense and special teams any day. This is a good signing. Sure, we have other needs, however, I'm confident the FO is already working the phones to fill those holes. Relax people, this is good news!

You either totally ignored the others who've posted a list of things Smith brings or you have never seen the guy play an entire game with the Jets.

There is no need for me to repeat what others have said but maybe it's worth waiting to see how he's used and what he does over the course of the season BEFORE we decide what he does and doesn't bring to the team.

Or feel free to raise your blood pressure however you see fit.

GO BILLS!!!

My best friend is a Jets fan and Jets season ticket holder for 17 years. He called me to make fun of us. Of course he always does. He actually liked Smith, but also thinks he's gotten way overhyped over the last year. He wishes Smith would have stayed with them, but also said if we think this guy is a superstar, then we're idiots.

I tend to agree with him.

My best friend is a Jets fan and Jets season ticket holder for 17 years. He called me to make fun of us. Of course he always does. He actually liked Smith, but also thinks he's gotten way overhyped over the last year. He wishes Smith would have stayed with them, but also said if we think this guy is a superstar, then we're idiots.

I like the Brad Smith signing as much as anyone here, and think it's a great signing. In no way do I think he is a superstar and no one here that I have seen has said anything about him being a superstar. It can be a great signing, and he could be a valuable player for the team without being remotely close to a superstar. He's a role player, and a very good one. No one even expects him to start let alone be a superstar.

My concern is more that I don't think guys like Smith will be able to make plays without a solid foundation around them. The Jets had/have that solid foundation, the Bills don't. I look at this signing a lot like the Spiller pick last year (although not NEARLY as bad - <$4mil/year is a lot easier to swallow than the #9 pick). A lot of the justification in this thread reminds me a lot of the Spiller justification after the draft last year. Gailey designing special offensive packages, the opposing defense having to gameplan for him, etc. I think those things would be true if we had a solid fundamental offense, and could add those packages on top of it, but we don't. So we'll see. Like I said before, I'm curious to hear/see how Gailey plans on using Smith. I'm expecting him to play a larger role than he did with the Jets, otherwise it's hard to justify his contract.

If it's any consolation, I think Miami is much dumber for trading for Reggie Bush and (allegedly) promising him that he'll be The Man at RB. Bush is another luxury playmaker like Spiller or Smith. He can add a very dangerous dimension to an otherwise good offense, but I don't see a lot of value unless you already have the good offense. Reggie Bush can take your offense from good to great but not from mediocre to good.

Exactly. I bolded the part I agree with 100%. It's the Antwaan Randle El syndrome when he went from Pittsburgh to Washington. Only Randle El was even better than making impacts on games.

He's not a starting caliber QB.

He's not a starting caliber RB.

He's not a starting caliber WR.

So, he comes in to games, and excels because of the talent around him, when people don't or can't pay attention to him. That's not Buffalo's situation yet.

Thanks. Now that I have the better informed opinion of your friend, my feelings about the Smith acquisition have changed entirely.

GO BILLS!!!

I like the Brad Smith signing as much as anyone here, and think it's a great signing. In no way do I think he is a superstar and no one here that I have seen has said anything about him being a superstar. It can be a great signing, and he could be a valuable player for the team without being remotely close to a superstar. He's a role player, and a very good one. No one even expects him to start let alone be a superstar.

And I don't mind the signing, it's just not what we NEED. I'm sick of getting things we don't need when we actually need so much elsewhere. That's what pisses me off about it.

I'd rather overpay for Zach Miller and Tyson Clabo with Smith's money than have Smith on this team. Plain and simple. I'd offer Clabo and Miller both 1.5 or 2 million more per year than other teams with Smith's money and that would certainly have a bigger impact, than having Smith on this team. Thats my problem with this.

And yes, I would overpay for guys like Miller and Clabo at this point, simple because we have to at this point, and we have the money to do it. We have to break out of this somehow, and probably overpaying is the only way we do it.

It's not Smith the player I don't like, it's the premise of the resources he takes away from us to go get legit pieces we need elsewhere on this roster, before a guy like Smith can help.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Agreed. Complementary role players who add to the overall talent mix are a plus--and it will be exciting to see what Chan can devise to get this guy on the field.

Too many people here are looking for the FA "splash" and thinking this precludes any other additions. I'm thinking they're targeting several more positions, as well as some of the recent cuts by other teams.