If you could have exactly five Pro Bowl players . . .

If you were in charge of a team, and for whatever reason had the ability to obtain exactly five Pro Bowlers, which positions would they play?

My own preference would be to run a 3-4, and then have the following:

QB

LT

NT

RDE (3-4)

OLB (3-4)

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously qb. It's near impossible to have a bad offense with a probowler at qb. That includes strong line play and WR production. Typically above average ball protection.

NT - anchor of any 34 defense

Rushbacker- clay matthews just has to be accounted for with 2 players every time he lines up.

Safety- a probowl safety (ie reed, polamaulu etc) don't get to the probowl without turnovers.

Last can be anyone but a guard, kicker or returner although I wouldn't cry about any of those. With those 4 you have ball control, and creation of turnovers. Add a corner, RB or WR and you have more playmakers, add an end, or Olineman and you end up controlling the line. Odds are if you hit on those first four and you are doing real well on all levels and winning games.

QB- That's easy...

LT- Pro Bowl QB's need protection.

DE - 3-4, 4-3 who cares...All I know it I would have Kyle Williams, Dareus and Mario Williams on the same defensive line. You hear that Brady?

MLB - Hmmm, behind Dareus and Kyle Williams I put Patrick Willis. Running lanes just became noticeably narrower.

RT - To go with Levitre and Wood, I just added 2 Pro Bowl tackles. My pro bowl QB thanks me, FJ thanks me, Spiller especially thanks me.

Now excuse me, I need to go and get a second job to pay for all of these guys.

Theoretically, a QB, WR, WR, WR, and TE would mean we must have the most prolific passing offense in NFL history and probably go undefeated...or even a QB, WR, WR, TE, and RB.

But based on the realm of what is more possible...

QB - obvious (if our QB is making probowl, then OL is fine...no need to have a pro bowler on it, just a solid unit)

MLB - Need someone to lead the D and stop the run

DL - Interior line sets the tone for the D

S - Pro Bowl safety can change an entire D and game

WR - I dont care how good your team is, there are always key points in a game where you need a WR to come up big and make a play.

QB, LT, NT, C, TE

I agree with this

QB- obvious reasons

LT- Guaranteed protection of the QB's blindside (or a raving cokehead that gets to the qb, or a dual threat RB j/k)

NT- for a 3-4 is the most important spot. That said, KW is not the prototypical pro bowl 2-gap NT I have in mind, but a great LE in a 3-4 imo

C- makes the calls on the line, and are very tough to find good centers, the last great one we had was Hull, and besides Kreutz, Saturday, Mangold and Hangartner, can you name another one? A coordinated line makes it easier for the skill players.

TE- A great TE stretches the secondary, destroys cover 2 schemes, and eases the double coverages for the WR's. The reason that Brady has been good with no name WR's, before moss and welker, was in large part due to the number of weapons that were respectable receivers, last year it was gronkowski and hernandez, in previous year, faulk as a 3rd down back and watson and graham out of the TE spot did wonders for marcia. Look at SD when they doing well under marty, it was easier for their subpar receivers to do their job when Gates and Tomlinson were dangerous receivers. McNabb at Philly with no receivers and a decent TE's in Celek, LJ Smith, and Chad Lewis, made it work.

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

Take those 5 at a Pro-Bowl caliber, and you can fill out the rest of lineup with what the Bills have now and have a very nice team.

A little too nice a team! :P Kyle Williams is a Pro Bowler, so having him + 5 Pro Bowl offensive linemen would be one Pro Bowler too many. If Dareus becomes a Pro Bowler as well, that would be two Pro Bowlers too many!

That said, I agree that the OL you've described would go a very long way toward improving the Bills.