Back-up QB

Who should the Bills sign? I would like to see Marc Bulger but I'm not sure he would sign to be a back-up. He has been rumored to go to the Cardinals but if they trade for Kolb that won't happen. I say no to Vince Young. I think this board likes Tyler Thigpen as an option. Grossman? Troy Smith?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake Delhomme...just heard today via NFL network that if he where to return to Cleveland he would have to be signed to the veterans minimum. He would provide a veteran backup that has had some success in the league but shouldnt create a QB controversy.

Leinart

OH GOD NO!!!!

Thigpen makes a lot of sense given his history with Gailey.

I would say that there is the potential however incredibly remote that we consider Vince Young. The guy needs to learn how to play QB and still has maturing to do but the Bills bench could be the place for that. Given the rebirth of Vick some team, maybe us, will consider looking at him as a reclamation project.

When was he a great QB?

I don't know about great, but he was definitely a highly talented up and coming QB. This is the stat line for his third season:

61.2% completions, 3531 yds, 16 TD 14 Int, 83.5 QB rating.

The following season he was sacked 68 times.

Why is everyone so in love with Tyler Thigpen? Even in his best season (2008), when he supposedly "flourished" in Chan Gailey's offense, he put up rather pedestrian numbers.

14 games played, Comp % 54.8, 2,608 yds, 18 TD, 12 INT, 76 QB Rating

The fact that if he's coming in on a few weeks notice he knows chans terminology and systems is the positive

The fact that if he's coming in on a few weeks notice he knows chans terminology and systems is the positive

I get that, but certainly there are guys (with better potential) who would be quiet capable of learning Chan's terminology/scheme during training camp and in the first part of the season, and be ready to run the offense in the event of a Fitz injury.

Just my opinion, but I have never been impressed with Thigpen.

A few guys who I wouldn't mind being brought in to back up Fitz...

Seneca Wallace

Caleb Hanie (this kid demonstrated a lot of guts and skill in that NFC Championship game...13/20 153 yards in 16 minutes)

Marc Bulger

Billy Volek

Jake Delhomme...just heard today via NFL network that if he where to return to Cleveland he would have to be signed to the veterans minimum. He would provide a veteran backup that has had some success in the league but shouldnt create a QB controversy.

Anybody creates a controversy. Even Brohm created controversy. If Fitz struggles, expect Levi Brown to start being a hot topic--"Let's put him in and see what he can do" type stuff.

He did have some chemistry with Lee Evens.

True. I'm thinking the fact he was working out here with Lee would be a good indication that they are pretty tight still.

I guess the only reason why I'm thinking he would be an option is because with Fitz as the bona fide starter, we can't bring in a vet that is hungry to start. The last thing we need is a QB controversy. Losman is a backup, plain and simple. Perhaps Chan could make him into a decent one.