Back-up QB

Regarding Losman -- I'd be curious to know if a team has ever drafted a QB in the first round, dumped him after the rookie contract expired, and then later reacquired him via free agency.

It would be odd, to say the least.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who should the Bills sign? I would like to see Marc Bulger but I'm not sure he would sign to be a back-up. He has been rumored to go to the Cardinals but if they trade for Kolb that won't happen. I say no to Vince Young. I think this board likes Tyler Thigpen as an option. Grossman? Troy Smith?

I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think that it may be worth it to seriously look at Vince Young. I know that he has been a headcase the past year or two but he is talented and has a very good winning percentage and other tangibles. With Vince Young it's been the intangibles that have been rough. With strong mentorship and firm coaching you have a very mobile QB who can make all the throws. I have seen him have some really good games and he has a lot of potential. I think Chan Gailey would love to have a mobile QB with the tools that Young has.

I don't know if I'm strong on Thigpen overall...I just sort of feel that he's a QB that had a strong season in the past that has some of the tools as a QB, but not enough tools to work with. I know that Chan Gailey has had a player/coach relationship with him before and was able to successfully get good results out of him. I guess I would be okay with him, but wouldn't expect him to ever challenge for a starting job. I think Vince Young could be a franchise QB in the next couple of years (Maybe less..) if he ever gets his head out of the sand and doesn't get so emotionally disturbed.

I think that Vince Young would be well suited to Buffalo as Chan Gailey doesn't seem like a coach who is going to hammer at a player's insecurities. If Parcells were our coach I wouldn't recommend getting Young as he sounds as if he has a problem with a lot of criticism. I think Gailey is more of a detailed guy than motivating by getting in a players face.

We should also look at an undrafted QB that has some of the tools and intangibles that may give him a chance in the NFL. I think that the Bills should go into camp with 4 QB's as Gailey mentioned and they will likely reduce their roster to 3 QB's after the preseason. (If there's a preseason!)...

Go Bills!

Regarding Losman -- I'd be curious to know if a team has ever drafted a QB in the first round, dumped him after the rookie contract expired, and then later reacquired him via free agency.

It would be odd, to say the least.

Yes it would. I always thought our former coaches were ridiculous with offensive play calling and wonder what Gailey could do with him. Not that there aren't other options out there. I remember how infuriating it was to watch games where it seemed to go like this on 90% of the offensive plays.

1st down - run

2nd down - run

3rd down - pass

4th down - punt

The offense was so unimaginative at play calling, I wondered how Jauron ever graduated from an Ivy league school.

JP isn't going to be a franchise pick up by any means but he is better than some of the FAs out there. If it plays out that way, it'd interesting to say the least.

Edited by Rockinon

Yes it would. I always thought our former coaches were ridiculous with offensive play calling and wonder what Gailey could do with him. Not that there aren't other options out there. I remember how infuriating it was to watch games where it seemed to go like this on 90% of the offensive plays.

1st down - run

2nd down - run

3rd down - pass

4th down - punt

The offense was so unimaginative at play calling, I wondered how Jauron ever graduated from an Ivy league school.

JP isn't going to be a franchise pick up by any means but he is better than some of the FAs out there. If it plays out that way, it'd interesting to say the least.

Yea that was Fairchild, then Turk Schonert took over it went...

1st down shotgun-pass

2nd down-and five-shotgun-pass

3rd down and one foot- shotgun -pass

4th down punt

I'd imagine JP is mentality incapable of being an NFL QB anymore, the guy probably see's phantom sackers in his sleep

Yea that was Fairchild, then Turk Schonert took over it went...

1st down shotgun-pass

2nd down-and five-shotgun-pass

3rd down and one foot- shotgun -pass

4th down punt

I'd imagine JP is mentality incapable of being an NFL QB anymore, the guy probably see's phantom sackers in his sleep

:lol: I'm not saying he is the answer but I wouldn't be real upset either.

Why is everyone so in love with Tyler Thigpen? Even in his best season (2008), when he supposedly "flourished" in Chan Gailey's offense, he put up rather pedestrian numbers.

14 games played, Comp % 54.8, 2,608 yds, 18 TD, 12 INT, 76 QB Rating

This would be the perfect post to compare Fitzpatrick's stats from last year as he started 14 games ( I believe..) Had a similar amount of total yards if I remember correctly...I'd love to see the comparison if anyone is prevy to that info. Thanks..

That actually doesnt sound bad

Alex Van Pelt returns! :doh:

I'd want Young first just for what he CAN bring as far as production. I think Chan could help fix him. But I don't think it will happen. I see Thigpen as our backup.

Young's starting record is 33-17 or something like that. He is an obvious head case. Chances are, Fitz does not last half a season. If Chan can fix VY's head and VY produces as he has inthe past, we just solved our long term QB issue. We should not be afraid to get the best QB out there. We blew it with Michael Vick, let's not do it again.

Jake Delhomme...just heard today via NFL network that if he where to return to Cleveland he would have to be signed to the veterans minimum. He would provide a veteran backup that has had some success in the league but shouldnt create a QB controversy.

I watched Delhomme play last year in Cleveland. He can execute when the offensive line is having a great day protecting. The minute there's pressure, and especially if he has to scramble, he makes some really stupid decisions. I mean rookie backup Div III quarterback stupid. Nice guy, but I don't want him and honestly the Bills shouldn't either.

I do think Seneca Wallace got a bit of a raw deal being displaced by Colt McCoy. He played well and moved the offense well and would be worth bringing in.

I watched Delhomme play last year in Cleveland. He can execute when the offensive line is having a great day protecting. The minute there's pressure, and especially if he has to scramble, he makes some really stupid decisions. I mean rookie backup Div III quarterback stupid. Nice guy, but I don't want him and honestly the Bills shouldn't either.

I do think Seneca Wallace got a bit of a raw deal being displaced by Colt McCoy. He played well and moved the offense well and would be worth bringing in.

You just described most every FA QB out there, if they were really any good they would all be starting somewhere. Its why Nix needs to be very careful about who he brings in because that O line was quite horrible with Edwards and Brohm. I suspect that any QB brought in had better have a very quick release like Fitz, and very good es-capability like Fitz.

The more I think about it the more Vince Young makes sense, If Chan Gailey really wanted either Tim Tebow or Cam Newton then Young could be a "perfect fit project" that Gailey can further develop. Besides Young doesn't need the mechanic repetitions and the elongated learning curve that a rookie would require. Plus he is a winner at the NFL level, something that not many of those FA's can say.

True. I'm thinking the fact he was working out here with Lee would be a good indication that they are pretty tight still.

I guess the only reason why I'm thinking he would be an option is because with Fitz as the bona fide starter, we can't bring in a vet that is hungry to start. The last thing we need is a QB controversy. Losman is a backup, plain and simple. Perhaps Chan could make him into a decent one.

At first I gagged, but frankly your reasoning makes a lot of sense. Keep Losman and a first or second year qb for this year. Might actually work if the fans could stand it.

You just described most every FA QB out there, if they were really any good they would all be starting somewhere. Its why Nix needs to be very careful about who he brings in because that O line was quite horrible with Edwards and Brohm. I suspect that any QB brought in had better have a very quick release like Fitz, and very good es-capability like Fitz.

The more I think about it the more Vince Young makes sense, If Chan Gailey really wanted either Tim Tebow or Cam Newton then Young could be a "perfect fit project" that Gailey can further develop. Besides Young doesn't need the mechanic repetitions and the elongated learning curve that a rookie would require. Plus he is a winner at the NFL level, something that not many of those FA's can say.

I would take Vince Young in a minute. Instant upgrade to Fitz just for the sake that he has shown he can win games and win games late in the NFL before.

Fitz would be a good backup.

:thumbsup:

Young's starting record is 33-17 or something like that. He is an obvious head case. Chances are, Fitz does not last half a season. If Chan can fix VY's head and VY produces as he has inthe past, we just solved our long term QB issue. We should not be afraid to get the best QB out there. We blew it with Michael Vick, let's not do it again.

Young's gonna be a Redskin...We all know it's going to happen...No way Snyder can pass up on that opportunity...He'll probably overpay for him too... B-)

If this is true and the compensation for Dennis Dixon is only a 5th, then I think he's the best bet. He's young and mobile with the potential to develop into a good starter and has none of the baggage VY brings with him. I'm surprised the Steelers didn't offer the maximum tender.

Thigpen is restricted and would be had for a 2nd rounder to Miami...

Dennis Dixon is restricted and would be had for a 5th rounder to the Steelers...

Bulger is not mobile enough...

Alex Smith could get a look...

Tavaris Jackson is a possibility

If this is true and the compensation for Dennis Dixon is only a 5th, then I think he's the best bet. He's young and mobile with the potential to develop into a good starter and has none of the baggage VY brings with him. I'm surprised the Steelers didn't offer the maximum tender.

I have no desire to get Dennis Dixon. Career he has 0 TDs and 1 INT and a 79.4 rating. I want a backup QB that has played in the NFL and doesn't have to adjust to the speed of the game etc. Someone who's learned a few offenses in his day. Someone who could actually help us win a game. We aren't getting a backup QB to groom into someday being a starter. We need a back to, you know, back up Fitz or maybe even take his job. Someone who when Fitz gets hurt and we bring him can take over without a drop in productivity. Not another Brohm or Levi Brown type.

Good points, Delhomme just seems to fall to pieces at the wrong times. I would rather have a solid,unspectacular backup who can execute an offense consistantly and get a win or 2. Seneca would be a much better choice, Vince Young is certainly an intriguing option from an physical standpoint, my problem with him is that he seems like a head case that would disrupt the team/locker room. But if Nix/Gailey did some due diligence on VY and felt he was worth bringing in I would be ok with that.

Edited by GaryPinC

we just need a no threat to Fitz for now, at least from a veteran pick. A solid back up will do. Delhomme is an option i think. cant believe i said that. then we will find that late round pick(released) or undrafted guy. the mystery is what the heck is Levi doing? becoming a backup or staying third string. do they have any hope for the kid. the one time i saw him was unfair to consider.

i think we know that within a couple years we will have to invest

But to answer Losman might be good enough. but i still am personally soured. maybe it was just the whole team at that point?

Edited by 3rdand12