really interesting factoid about Trent Edwards and injuries

No, Owens couldn't catch the ball, and he got the **** kicked out of himself in Arizona. That's not support - that's an objective statement to the effect that a lot of things went into his horrific play his last season and a half.

A lot of things did especially the fact that he is a ball-less, weak armed QB who sucked horribly and couldn't beat a 3-4 defense (our whole division) to save his life.

I know he had one of his best games at SD, but if you noticed, before the Wilson hit, Edwards would stay in the pocket to make a play, even if he knew he was going to take a hit. After the Wilson hit, that's when he really started checking it down, to avoid getting nailed.

I think it was around then that opposing defenses realized that he couldn't throw deep and the Bills became completely nonthreatening offensively. After that they packed it in and brought the heat. Couple that with the fact that Trent couldn't call out protections for his offensive line like Fitz could with the same personnel and ya gets what ya get.

Anyways, the Trent arguments aside, this is an excellent article for those who haven't read it.

The writer put A LOT of effort into this piece.

It goes into great detail about which quarterbacks will be "surefire" free agents (there are 18 veteran QBs in this category…10 of whom are discussed in some depth)…and which ones may be, depending on what rules are instituted in the next CBA.

The article then gives each quarterback a fairly comprehensive summary ("scouting report") and discusses in some depth where they think those quarterbacks might land.

FWIW, it's the best article out there so far regarding available QBs…and the Bills will be bringing one of these veterans in to training camp…whenever that finally happens.

Thanks for posting, Dave.

Any relationship between his standing in the pocket longer before the Wilson hit compared to after it can be explained quite easily: the teams they played early that season were TERRIBLE. He actually had a pocket to stand in. As SJfan said, the SD game was his best that year. He also had solid games against KC and Denver...better games than he had during the winning streak...better games than he had in previous seasons. Look it up!

It would be fair to say he could have been better if he had more protection. Of course, that applies to ALL QBs...although no one seemed to want to believe a better O-line would help Fitz a year ago (it did). It also would be a reasonable argument to say Jauron/OC turmoil screwed the guy up. I don't believe this myself, but I'd happily avoid getting involved in that argument...both sides have a point. I also kind of doubt the compartment syndrome explains much of his troubles (specifically the checkdowns), but again, I have no desire to get into a back-and-forth about that. What I personally think is this: checking down was a young Trent's monkey trick. He figured out that when he did this he got a treat from his coaches, who thought he was wise beyond his years. It was, in effect, butt kissing. It was the one specific thing he did well. And he beat it into the ground, to the point that defenses could defend the Bills passing attack the same way they did the running game; both suffered and Trent didn't adapt. Somebody might get through to him, someday. In fact, I thought J-ville was a good place for him because the OC there likes the longball and might have forced him out of his rut.

Now here's the thing: I have about 140 posts on this site over the last two years, and an absurd number of them point out the very thing SJBillsFan said: the guy had the best game of his career immediately after the Wilson hit. SJBillsFan and dozens of other commenters have posted this, over and over and over. And here we are arguing this point again. A wise man I have a lot of respect for would call the type of argument that Trent hasn't been the same since the Wilson hit a "zombie lie". No matter how many times we show the Wilson hit effected Edwards for only one week, this will never die.

+1

Really? Owens didn't seem to have an issue catching passes from Fitzpatrick that year...

In fact, TO and Fitz hold the record for the longest TD pass in Buffalo Bills history. 99 yards. A record that will never be broken (unless they lengthen the field).

Was such a big Edwards supporter until the second game of the 2009 season when he completely miss played that game against the Saints. The guy had all the time in the world in that game had two quality receivers to throw to and the game was close enough for him to go for it.

I saw in that game all I needed to see from Turd Edwards. Sad because maybe before that hit in Arizona he could have had a career BUT maybe it was just bound to happen.

I heard he has bonus-eruptus, a rare condition where the skeleton tries to leave the body by leaping out of the mouth. Often confused with severe cases of skin failure.

I just laughed a snot bubble. Thanks. :blink:

Anyways, the Trent arguments aside, this is an excellent article for those who haven't read it.

The writer put A LOT of effort into this piece.

It goes into great detail about which quarterbacks will be "surefire" free agents (there are 18 veteran QBs in this category…10 of whom are discussed in some depth)…and which ones may be, depending on what rules are instituted in the next CBA.

The article then gives each quarterback a fairly comprehensive summary ("scouting report") and discusses in some depth where they think those quarterbacks might land.

FWIW, it's the best article out there so far regarding available QBs…and the Bills will be bringing one of these veterans in to training camp…whenever that finally happens.

Thanks for posting, Dave.

I still like Bruce Gradkowski, I would think it will be TT though, Kyle Orton or VY are both interesting too, I have to admit but I just don't see the FO going in those directions.

Trent should never get another thread along with either JP or RJ or OJ or Willis...........etc

I still like Bruce Gradkowski, I would think it will be TT though, Kyle Orton or VY are both interesting too, I have to admit but I just don't see the FO going in those directions.

Trent should never get another thread along with either JP or RJ or OJ or Willis...........etc

If we got Orton for pennies I would dance a jig. He could be our grizzled Jim Kelly imo. Or at the very least a great back up. For some damn reason I've always been high on Kyle Orton. With Chan's coaching he could be something. I suppose though, with Chan's tutelage a lot of qb's could turn into something. But I've always envisioned Orton being productive as a part of our team in some capacity. Fitz is our man. If we could get Orton, he could be our Frank Reich. although I see him more personifying Jimbo. Frank just seemed more of a cerebral qb. Who could be our Reich?

On a side note. I likey Gradkowski too. If he happens to land with us I won't fret. He doesn't have the biggest arm, but he's a gamer. He hasn't had the best coaching, but with Chan, who knows what he might become?

Edited by Pilsner

Trent was the training camp and flag football superstar. To bad it never converted to the NFL. It is incredible with his track record, he might still land a $3.5 mil deal. It seems even more remarkable someone with a medical issue that exacerbates injury pain and slows recovery time could play football at any level much less make an NFL roster.

As it was new info, I can appreciate the OP passing it on. I don't hink the intent was to rehash any old arguements. The verdict was in three weeks into last season.

if you read the whole article, also worth noting that they see Thigpen as the best bet to come to Buffalo and backup Fitz....I wouldn't mind this at all, he was very good under Chan in KC, as long as we didn't have to give up much for him.

You might be misremembering Thigpen's performance in KC. 54.8 completion %, 6.2 YPA, and 76.0 rating.

In fact, TO and Fitz hold the record for the longest TD pass in Buffalo Bills history. 99 yards. A record that will never be broken (unless they lengthen the field).

For some reason, Quinn Early's name came to mind re longest TD, possibly previously?