It Looks To Me As If Mr. Wilson.....

What scared me about the 2nd round pick was the possible repeat of history. When Byrd was drafted in round 2, the team that picked after us traded down and picked up a nice first round pick in the following season for doing so. There is no reason to believe that we couldn't have done the same. This time, Nix openly stated that he had numerous offers in every round. So yes, repeating moves that turned out not so well do scare me.

As for the draft overall, it was good imo, something I can live with. :thumbsup:

OK, but I am basing my opinion of RW's comments on "adding excitement." Taking a running back at #9 (especially a small part time player at a position of depth) was quite the reach on a team with huge needs.

Certainly we can agree to disagree, and the good news is that it appears that Nix ran this entire draft.

In both years, Nix and Gailey said they'd be taking the best player available.

In both years, Spiller and Dareus were arguably the top overall players left on the board when we picked. There have been 2 consecutive drafts where they've taken BPA. One of them happened to fit a major need as well.

Arguing that Ralph made the decision for Spiller and Nix for Dareus is disingenius in light of the way the Bills have conducted the past 2 drafts, and it sounds like you're simply reaching to try and force an idea into a preconceived notion.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People like to assume that picks that work out were 'top brass' picks while picks that don't are bacause of Ralph. Modrak was responsible for some late round gems and UFAs but he didn't have anything to do with the busts.

You do realize that you are applying the same principle you renounce in the first sentence to defend Modrak in the second, right? Of course he had something to do with the busts. Choosing not to do anything (the "nothing to do with it" argument of his defenders) is a choice; and, he was sitting right there at the same table.

I'm not sure why one would bother to defend Modrak. He was fired by his friend Nix. Circumstantially, the draft class didn't include a single player from the Northeast or Midwest, areas of the country Modrak scouted (e.g., Gabbert).

You do realize that you are applying the same principle you renounce in the first sentence to defend Modrak in the second, right? Of course he had something to do with the busts. Choosing not to do anything (the "nothing to do with it" argument of his defenders) is a choice; and, he was sitting right there at the same table.

That was the point. :thumbsup:

I think :unsure:

He (Wilson) put people in place and allowed those people to put people in place and then he let them do their jobs. That is taking control (in a good way). This story is still in the first (maybe second) chapter and all the important stuff is yet to be written, but give the guy credit for doing what we've wanted all along. Make smart decisions about who you give control to (yet to be determined) and let them do what you hired them to do.

This is why I feel real hope for the Bills in many years. There appears to be a solid plan in place to turn this franchise around. I am also happy that they are looking beyond Nix. No doubt that Whaley is the next GM and I see this as a very good thing.

Where does Troup line up now that Dareus is in the mix? In 3-4 sets, it seems like it'll be Dareus, Williams, Edwards. In 4-3 sets, Dareus kicks inside next to Williams. Is Troup a second-stringer now?

He was before, not sure how the Dareus pick would change that. Dareus takes Stroud's spot, Troup probably plays a similar amount as he did at the end of last year.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

He was before, not sure how the Dareus pick would change that. Dareus takes Stroud's spot, Troup probably plays a similar amount as he did at the end of last year.

Did Stroud kick inside in the 4-3 front? I just don't recall. Anyhow it's never a bad thing to have depth in the front-seven (God knows it's been years since we've had it).

That would be anytime Ralph has had input on the football operation. Despite the 2nd round pick, even you have to be enamored with this draft. :D

Am I the only one that thinks that Aaron Williams might end up being the best pick of this draft? Sure Dareus is going to be a star but I really think that Williams has serious potential to fall into an elite status when people talk of all time great DB's. The pre-draft show on NFLN with Williams and Prince A. showed alot of what we are in for with this kid. I could be wrong but I think the reason that the Bills didn't move out of that pick was the fact that Williams was still on the board and Buddy probably didn't expect him there. He has some serious talent and if Texas was even remotely considered for a shot at the national title, he would have been a much much higher pick.

In reference to Bill from NYC's assessment of the draft, I have to agree that this might be the first draft that was handled from top to bottom by people that have worked in some capacity with football for a better part of their lives. I am sure Mr. Wilson was aware of everything going on regarding who was going to be picked and what potential trades were offered, but it does appear that he has stepped back and let football people run his football team, probably for the first team.

Thank you Mr. Wilson.

Two questions:

Are you saying that you think the Spiller pick was driven by Ralph and not Nix?

Have you ever actually met anyone who bought tickets because they drafted Spiller instead of a lineman? The idea that those types of moves sells tickets is thrown around a lot, but is there any hard evidence to base it on?

Thanks for your thoughts

1. Yes. This is my opinion. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. Mr. Wilson knows how to maximize profit. He isn't a football man. This doesn't make me correct. I merely think this, but I must say that I think one would be naive to think that RW has never exercised authority on draft day.

2) The Bills marketed Spiller right after the draft. It is easier to market a person who scores or throws for touchdowns than it is to market a big, ugly lineman. And, Spiller didn't sell seats because he didn't play well. Besides, this question was ridiculous as I'm sure it was intended to be. Who do you think would sell more tickets, Orlando Pace or Marshall Faulk?

1. Yes. This is my opinion. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. Mr. Wilson knows how to maximize profit. He isn't a football man. This doesn't make me correct. I merely think this, but I must say that I think one would be naive to think that RW has never exercised authority on draft day.

2) The Bills marketed Spiller right after the draft. It is easier to market a person who scores or throws for touchdowns than it is to market a big, ugly lineman. And, Spiller didn't sell seats because he didn't play well. Besides, this question was ridiculous as I'm sure it was intended to be. Who do you think would sell more tickets, Orlando Pace or Marshall Faulk?

The Bills marketed Spiller after the draft. What was it called when they had Dareus to OBD and had the big media to-do with giving Dareus his jersey and #99 and presenting him to everyone?

They market players because of their draft status, not position played. Dareus was marketed as much as Spiller.

I really don't think the question was ridiculous, and I sure didn't mean it to be. I just don't know of anyone who bought tickets because of Spiller. I bought tickets long before the draft, and I think the vast majority of tickets (when you consider season ticket holders) were sold then. Maybe people liked the pick and bought tickets on that basis, but it is just as likely that fans (such as you and I) would have liked the pick of a lineman and bought tickets on that basis.

I know you're not the first to say the Spiller pick was done to sell tickets. But it's always directed at other fans who bought tickets because of the pick. I'm skeptical that they exist. And I am very skeptical that a winning team would not sell more tickets than an exciting player.

Edit: I do realize that it's easier to draft exciting players than build a winning team. But not by that much.

Edited by Tortured Soul

Players such as Dareus are not "ticket sellers." I know.....winning sells tickets, but there has been too much of a propensity in Buffalo to draft "flashy," skill position players. The glut of early defensive backs in prior years can imo be blamed on the asinine philosophy of Levy/Jauron. I give Mr. Wilson much credit for stepping back, instead of drafting for short term profit.

I didn't agree with every selection, nor am I dumb enough to think that is important. But, it really does appear that Nix wants the Bills to have some sort of identity, especially on defense. If players such as Troup, Carrington and of course Darreus can play football, the Bills will be strong up front. We have not seen this since Bruce, Pat Williams, Big Ted, Hansen, etc.

Nix stated that he had numerous trade offers in every round. With the round 2 selection, he probably could have got another first round pick in 2012 but stayed put. He wants to win now, and I understand this. Bills fans too are hungry for wins after continuous losses and frustration.

Next year, I truly hope that they address the offense, especially the OL. In order to contend, the Bills need to be strong up front. This is a passing league to be sure, but a team cannot be successful in a place like Buffalo without a strong ground attack, or so I see it.

GO BILLS!!!!!

A couple of thoughts.....

- I really hoping that last years and this years picks really shine so that maybe Ralph actually trusts Buddy to put this thing together the right way......If guys like Troup, Carrington, Dareus, Shep, 2nd round DB/S, Searcy.....if these guys come out and take this defense to a complete 180 maybe the owner will relax a little bit and just allow people to do their jobs.

- I still believe that we HAVE been addressing the offense starting with last year....dont sleep on Spiller man....the only reason why we are not high on him right now is he couldnt pass protect well enough to stay on the field longer.......if he can get this down (and I believe he will) you have a dynamic player with breakaway speed and exceptional instincts.....Spiller is far from a bust and I am predicting we will be very happy we drafted him starting this year. Also......Marcus Easley is a pick that many overlook when they say we didn't address the offense. Marcus was one of the top rated blockers at wide receiver.....has exceptional speed for somebody that size and he was looking like a total stud before he got hurt. You just cant account for injuries they can happen to anyone.

- I dont think this offensive line is as far away as you might think:

D. Bell - plays better every year....was shutting down some known pass rushers last year.....and he did this while not even being able to practice during the week because he was coming off injury.

Levitre - probably our best linemen

Wood - also coming off an injury that it usually takes a full year to come back from....also not able to practice during the week....still solidified the line

RG - I think Urbik is the guys here. I think that Nix did a really good job of using our poor record to find diamond in the rough players off the waiver wire. Urbik was a high draft selection that I think was given up on too soon. Love his run blocking. We also used this method to get some starters from other teams for depth.

Chris Hairston.....this guy is a really intriguing prospect to me.....feet of a left tackle so you know he can pass protect......a huge guy who blocks a lot of sun. I think we have our starting RT here.

This team is coming along nicely....would still like to see a good veteran TE who can block and catch brought in for Fitz

I really don't think the question was ridiculous, and I sure didn't mean it to be. I just don't know of anyone who bought tickets because of Spiller. I bought tickets long before the draft, and I think the vast majority of tickets (when you consider season ticket holders) were sold then. Maybe people liked the pick and bought tickets on that basis, but it is just as likely that fans (such as you and I) would have liked the pick of a lineman and bought tickets on that basis.

I know you're not the first to say the Spiller pick was done to sell tickets. But it's always directed at other fans who bought tickets because of the pick. I'm skeptical that they exist. And I am very skeptical that a winning team would not sell more tickets than an exciting player.

Edit: I do realize that it's easier to draft exciting players than build a winning team. But not by that much.

Diehard fans will come to games. I have been to RWS for 17 consecutive seasons. But not every game was sold out. Those remaining seats are the ones in question imo.

In April, a LT or a DT who isn't going to have too many sacks would create less causal fan interest than a guy like Spiller, if he could play.

And, those unsold seat mean more to Ralph than they would to Paul Allen or Woody Johnson. That is pure profit.

If your point is that a great qb is the most important facet of a football team, I fully concur. But there are only so many of those guys, no?

LOL not at all. He could have ordered them to draft a QB that they didn't want. Actually, I thought he would do just that.

Bill I was actually afraid that might happen as well.....I was afraid we would pass over a special talent in Dareus in order to hope one of the QB's MIGHT develop into a franchise QB.

The team absolutely made the right choice....I even preferred Dareus over Von Miller who I coveted going into the draft....I just never thought Denver would actually pass on a dominanat 3-4 DE who could play anywhere on the line for a 3-4 OLB when they play a 4-3.

But they did and we are better for it....kudos to the bills for making the SMART choice.

A couple of thoughts.....

- I really hoping that last years and this years picks really shine so that maybe Ralph actually trusts Buddy to put this thing together the right way......If guys like Troup, Carrington, Dareus, Shep, 2nd round DB/S, Searcy.....if these guys come out and take this defense to a complete 180 maybe the owner will relax a little bit and just allow people to do their jobs.

- I still believe that we HAVE been addressing the offense starting with last year....dont sleep on Spiller man....the only reason why we are not high on him right now is he couldnt pass protect well enough to stay on the field longer.......if he can get this down (and I believe he will) you have a dynamic player with breakaway speed and exceptional instincts.....Spiller is far from a bust and I am predicting we will be very happy we drafted him starting this year. Also......Marcus Easley is a pick that many overlook when they say we didn't address the offense. Marcus was one of the top rated blockers at wide receiver.....has exceptional speed for somebody that size and he was looking like a total stud before he got hurt. You just cant account for injuries they can happen to anyone.

- I dont think this offensive line is as far away as you might think:

D. Bell - plays better every year....was shutting down some known pass rushers last year.....and he did this while not even being able to practice during the week because he was coming off injury.

Levitre - probably our best linemen

Wood - also coming off an injury that it usually takes a full year to come back from....also not able to practice during the week....still solidified the line

RG - I think Urbik is the guys here. I think that Nix did a really good job of using our poor record to find diamond in the rough players off the waiver wire. Urbik was a high draft selection that I think was given up on too soon. Love his run blocking. We also used this method to get some starters from other teams for depth.

Chris Hairston.....this guy is a really intriguing prospect to me.....feet of a left tackle so you know he can pass protect......a huge guy who blocks a lot of sun. I think we have our starting RT here.

This team is coming along nicely....would still like to see a good veteran TE who can block and catch brought in for Fitz

Ow man... I wish the lockout was done and we'd been having our OTA's. Solid analyses/opinion imho. Urbik could indeed be a diamond in the rough I liked him as well. With regards to CJ, I think thats a huge IF. He needs to be able to block in order to get RB/WR production or they need to put him in a hyrbid RB/WR role where you always put 3 receivers on the field, the point is that he should not be a play giveaway when put in.

A couple of more notes

- Very seldom does a RB who didn't do it much in college come in and be a great blitz pickup guy in his first year......even Thurman needed a year (and he ended up being pretty good in this area)

- Is everyone already giving up on Byrd? I dont understand that....he had pro bowl numbers in his first year.....then he came back to earth in his second on a team that couldnt generate pass rush from its linebackers and got ran on all day because we couldnt stop the run.......IMPROVE THE PASS RUSH.....and you will see Byrd return to form. I am no where near ready to give up on this guy

Speaking of that....why are people so quick to give up on players when they have a down first or second year? There are SO MANY other factors that come into play. If you improve the team around them....THEY WILL PLAY BETTER

It all starts up front and Nix being a great football guy KNOWS that......that is why we went for a special talent on the D Line with our 3rd overall pick. This is a guy who could anchor our line for years while we fill in the pieces around him

Regarding Troup and where he plays.....everyone knows we rotate players right? Regardless of who starts expect to see a lot of Troup on the field

- Is everyone already giving up on Byrd? I dont understand that....he had pro bowl numbers in his first year.....then he came back to earth in his second on a team that couldnt generate pass rush from its linebackers and got ran on all day because we couldnt stop the run.......IMPROVE THE PASS RUSH.....and you will see Byrd return to form. I am no where near ready to give up on this guy

Giving up? No. However, my opinion is that there's almost no reason to think he's going to be a quality NFL starter. Yes, he had 9 interceptions as a rookie; at least 6 of them came on horrible overthrows or tipped balls that landed right in his waiting arms, as he sat back 10 yards behind the play (to date, not one single person has been able to explain to me why you'd want your free safety 10 yards behind your opponents' deepest eligible receiver). I can remember 2 specific interceptions from that season where he actually made a play on the ball: versus Braylon Edwards in NY, and diving for an overthrow against the Texans. Moreover, the guy has shown next to no ability to cover anyone. Again, I can only think of one play last season (his one interception--which flew in the face of my disgusted prediction in August that he'd go all 16 games without an INT) where he made a play on the football. In games against Baltimore, New England, Chicago, and Green Bay, he was brutally exposed.

Upgrading the pass rush is sure to help, but that would be the case with any DB. In my opinion, Byrd won't improve in coverage until he figures out that waiting behind the deepest receiver and hoping for an overthrow/tipped ball is a very poor coverage technique. He needs to be more aggressive.

Sorry for the sidetrack on the thread, but that's my 2 cents on Byrd.

Edited by thebandit27

It does say something about Byrds ability in runstopping support, but I think that he showed great improvement in that area as the season got on (specifically remember an absolute suicide over the top dive to stop the runningback on the line), he most certainly got more aggressive in that area. He has a nose for picks thats for sure and i'm pretty sure you don't simply loose that instinct. The pressure of being run on time and time again may have rustled him a little bit with the result being a bit more restless and therefor more reserved with regards to ball hawking but it may also explain the situations where he just gave up too much field making him late for tackles in some situations. I think he may turn out to be absolute elite if he applied his lessons learned from last year well.

Players such as Dareus are not "ticket sellers." I know.....winning sells tickets, but there has been too much of a propensity in Buffalo to draft "flashy," skill position players. The glut of early defensive backs in prior years can imo be blamed on the asinine philosophy of Levy/Jauron. I give Mr. Wilson much credit for stepping back, instead of drafting for short term profit.

I didn't agree with every selection, nor am I dumb enough to think that is important. But, it really does appear that Nix wants the Bills to have some sort of identity, especially on defense. If players such as Troup, Carrington and of course Darreus can play football, the Bills will be strong up front. We have not seen this since Bruce, Pat Williams, Big Ted, Hansen, etc.

Nix stated that he had numerous trade offers in every round. With the round 2 selection, he probably could have got another first round pick in 2012 but stayed put. He wants to win now, and I understand this. Bills fans too are hungry for wins after continuous losses and frustration.

Next year, I truly hope that they address the offense, especially the OL. In order to contend, the Bills need to be strong up front. This is a passing league to be sure, but a team cannot be successful in a place like Buffalo without a strong ground attack, or so I see it.

GO BILLS!!!!!

I am glad to see that they are finally addressing the problems on this team and not just wanting to sell tickets.