It Looks To Me As If Mr. Wilson.....

Players such as Dareus are not "ticket sellers." I know.....winning sells tickets, but there has been too much of a propensity in Buffalo to draft "flashy," skill position players. The glut of early defensive backs in prior years can imo be blamed on the asinine philosophy of Levy/Jauron. I give Mr. Wilson much credit for stepping back, instead of drafting for short term profit.

I didn't agree with every selection, nor am I dumb enough to think that is important. But, it really does appear that Nix wants the Bills to have some sort of identity, especially on defense. If players such as Troup, Carrington and of course Darreus can play football, the Bills will be strong up front. We have not seen this since Bruce, Pat Williams, Big Ted, Hansen, etc.

Nix stated that he had numerous trade offers in every round. With the round 2 selection, he probably could have got another first round pick in 2012 but stayed put. He wants to win now, and I understand this. Bills fans too are hungry for wins after continuous losses and frustration.

Next year, I truly hope that they address the offense, especially the OL. In order to contend, the Bills need to be strong up front. This is a passing league to be sure, but a team cannot be successful in a place like Buffalo without a strong ground attack, or so I see it.

GO BILLS!!!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players such as Dareus are not "ticket sellers." I know.....winning sells tickets, but there has been too much of a propensity in Buffalo to draft "flashy," skill position players. The glut of early defensive backs in prior years can imo be blamed on the asinine philosophy of Levy/Jauron. I give Mr. Wilson much credit for stepping back, instead of drafting for short term profit.

I didn't agree with every selection, nor am I dumb enough to think that is important. But, it really does appear that Nix wants the Bills to have some sort of identity, especially on defense. If players such as Troup, Carrington and of course Darreus can play football, the Bills will be strong up front. We have not seen this since Bruce, Pat Williams, Big Ted, Hansen, etc.

Nix stated that he had numerous trade offers in every round. With the round 2 selection, he probably could have got another first round pick in 2012 but stayed put. He wants to win now, and I understand this. Bills fans too are hungry for wins after continuous losses and frustration.

Next year, I truly hope that they address the offense, especially the OL. In order to contend, the Bills need to be strong up front. This is a passing league to be sure, but a team cannot be successful in a place like Buffalo without a strong ground attack, or so I see it.

GO BILLS!!!!!

So, in other words you give him credit for taking the ultimate control of the draft?

How's Green Bay's running game? Or New England's?

If your point is that a great qb is the most important facet of a football team, I fully concur. But there are only so many of those guys, no?

So, in other words you give him credit for taking the ultimate control of the draft?

LOL not at all. He could have ordered them to draft a QB that they didn't want. Actually, I thought he would do just that.

LOL not at all. He could have ordered them to draft a QB that they didn't want. Actually, I thought he would do just that.

He (Wilson) put people in place and allowed those people to put people in place and then he let them do their jobs. That is taking control (in a good way). This story is still in the first (maybe second) chapter and all the important stuff is yet to be written, but give the guy credit for doing what we've wanted all along. Make smart decisions about who you give control to (yet to be determined) and let them do what you hired them to do.

He (Wilson) put people in place and allowed those people to put people in place and then he let them do their jobs. That is taking control (in a good way). This story is still in the first (maybe second) chapter and all the important stuff is yet to be written, but give the guy credit for doing what we've wanted all along. Make smart decisions about who you give control to (yet to be determined) and let them do what you hired them to do.

This is what the post was about. I like the fact that actual football people were making these picks.

If your point is that a great qb is the most important facet of a football team, I fully concur. But there are only so many of those guys, no?

I think my point is there isn't a single recipe for guaranteed success in the NFL.

The 3 teams with the highest rushing totals in the NFL last season were KC, Oakland, and Jacksonville. Half of the top 10 rushing teams in the NFL didn't make the postseason.

wow, when global mods and hall of famers mix it up it's a fun read. The rest of TSW should model the respectful tone! That said, the OP is dead on here. Wilson is letting the football guys call the shots and for the first time in a long time, our FO actually has football guys running it.

I think my point is there isn't a single recipe for guaranteed success in the NFL.

The 3 teams with the highest rushing totals in the NFL last season were KC, Oakland, and Jacksonville. Half of the top 10 rushing teams in the NFL didn't make the postseason.

3 yards and a cloud of dust doesn't exist in the NFL anymore.

The NFL passes on 60% of offensive snaps. Which means that on roughly 60% of the snaps, half of your defense is composed of DBs. You need to be able to run at the end of games, but to win, its a passing/stop the pass league for sure.

Edited by Ramius

Dude, the Bills sucked on defense against the run. I can't see how much past that you can look into this, we needed help in a big big way.

No one is arguing that. We're arguing Bill's incorrect point that Ralph was the decider to pick the skill players and Nix was the decider to pick the line guys.

I would bet anything that Buddy Nix/Chan Gailey had the same amount of input in the selection of CJ Spiller that they did with the selection of Marcell Dareus.

As I've said previously, the soon-to-be-replaced uniforms are the nylon representation of this team not having its own identity for the past 10 years. We had the Titans yokes, the Broncos color-splotch side gussets, the Patriots* navy blue. And in playing style,respectively, we tried the 46, went light on OL and heavy on RBs, and traded for/signed Bledsoe & Milloy....

I hope that we can stop being some cheap-o imitation/amalgam of what other teams are doing and get back to Buffalo Bills football. It may just be laundry, but changing the uniform back to a traditional Buffalo set is the first step. As Polonius said, both rightly and wrongly, "Clothes make the man!" Let's hope Buddy is able to follow suit with the guys who put on those unis.

I would bet anything that Buddy Nix/Chan Gailey had the same amount of input in the selection of CJ Spiller that they did with the selection of Marcell Dareus.

100% agreement. People like to assume that picks that work out were 'top brass' picks while picks that don't are bacause of Ralph. Modrak was responsible for some late round gems and UFAs but he didn't have anything to do with the busts.

Too early to categorize Spiller, but if he falls flat he'll be one of "Ralphs sexy picks". (not to be confused with sexy pics of Ralph)

No one is arguing that. We're arguing Bill's incorrect point that Ralph was the decider to pick the skill players and Nix was the decider to pick the line guys.

Yep. I think he viewed Spiller's role much like what Darren Sproles brought to SD when Nix was there. Sproles' individual numbers may not have been spectacular, but his presence added a facet to that offense / a change-up pitch to LT.

Despite the 2nd round pick, even you have to be enamored with this draft. :D

What scared me about the 2nd round pick was the possible repeat of history. When Byrd was drafted in round 2, the team that picked after us traded down and picked up a nice first round pick in the following season for doing so. There is no reason to believe that we couldn't have done the same. This time, Nix openly stated that he had numerous offers in every round. So yes, repeating moves that turned out not so well do scare me.

As for the draft overall, it was good imo, something I can live with. :thumbsup:

OK, but I am basing my opinion of RW's comments on "adding excitement." Taking a running back at #9 (especially a small part time player at a position of depth) was quite the reach on a team with huge needs.

Certainly we can agree to disagree, and the good news is that it appears that Nix ran this entire draft.

Edited by Bill from NYC

What scared me about the 2nd round pick was the possible repeat of history. When Byrd was drafted in round 2, the team that picked after us traded down and picked up a nice first round pick in the following season for doing so. There is no reason to believe that we couldn't have done the same. This time, Nix openly stated that he had numerous offers in every round. So yes, repeating moves that turned out not so well do scare me.

All that SF received was the 1st round pick the following year though, and had to give up an additional 4th. So 2 players this year for 1 player next year. From a team that, I know it's uncertain & didn't end up this way, general concensus said could contend the following season.

I would take Aaron Williams and Da'Norris Searcy this year over a 1st round pick next year from a contending team.

Who knows what the other offers were, the value chart would show teams picking close to us were likely offering an extra 4th to move down a few picks. If they liked Williams that much and had a 1st round grad on him I'm glad they made the pick.

Dude, the Bills sucked on defense against the run. I can't see how much past that you can look into this, we needed help in a big big way.

This is 100% accurate. Most teams can stop the run. We could NEVER stop it, esp. on third down and we knew the other team was running. This enabled other teams to keep our offense off the field for long stretches of time. The offense continually put up 25+ points a game despite this. Imagine what they could do if they were on the field longer.

Edited by RyanC883

Two questions:

Are you saying that you think the Spiller pick was driven by Ralph and not Nix?

Have you ever actually met anyone who bought tickets because they drafted Spiller instead of a lineman? The idea that those types of moves sells tickets is thrown around a lot, but is there any hard evidence to base it on?

Thanks for your thoughts