It Looks To Me As If Mr. Wilson.....

No, and this is where we can meet in the middle imo. They need to draft GOOD PLAYERS! Should they mix in need to the equation? Absolutely!!!

For all we know, there were hall of fame running backs, wrs, etc. drafted after Dareus. It is possible. But, if Dareus is a very good DT at #3, he will be the best player for US. He will have filled a huge need AND been a very good player.

In other words, the Bills might actually have a strong defensive front this season. The fact that this is even possible is a huge leap imo. We didn't need to draft another situational this year. Can we at least agree on this? Need does enter in at some point.

When the Bills are strong on both lines and are happy wrt the qb situation, this would be the time to grab some stud wr or rb early. maybe even a defensive back. But, we have proven that these guys are all but useless on a weak team, and hopefully we are changing this losing mentality.

I believe the Bills should, "mix in need" when they pick like you said, but they cannot just blindly pick for need. Why select an OT early if there aren't any worthy of early selection, or if there's a player they covet @ another position that is rated higher? Like you said, they need to draft good players. All over .

I know the Bills have neglected the lines over the years. You and I have discussed this numerous times. That said, they need to be smart in how they draft and, in my (meaningless) opinion, I feel Nix and Gailey are doing a good job of fixin' the mess they inherited.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, and this is where we can meet in the middle imo. They need to draft GOOD PLAYERS! Should they mix in need to the equation? Absolutely!!!

For all we know, there were hall of fame running backs, wrs, etc. drafted after Dareus. It is possible. But, if Dareus is a very good DT at #3, he will be the best player for US. He will have filled a huge need AND been a very good player.

In other words, the Bills might actually have a strong defensive front this season. The fact that this is even possible is a huge leap imo. We didn't need to draft another situational this year. Can we at least agree on this? Need does enter in at some point.

When the Bills are strong on both lines and are happy wrt the qb situation, this would be the time to grab some stud wr or rb early. maybe even a defensive back. But, we have proven that these guys are all but useless on a weak team, and hopefully we are changing this losing mentality.

I agree with most of this. Regarding some of the earlier picks you mentioned, Whitner wasn't a BPA, that was idiot Jauron reaching for a need. He simply should have taken Ngata, who was the better player. With McKelvin, the mistake made wasn't reaching, as McKelvin was rated highly coming out of college. The problem that year was that there were equal rated players at positions of greater need.

With Spiller, i think he was the clear cut highest rated player left. And i still think he'll be a good player. The kid's only had 1 season and has unquestioned work ethic, talent, and willingness to get better. Everyone has said that about him from college on up. Dareus was also the highest rated player. I think we've seen through 2 drafts that the Bills are gonna grab the best player in round 1, and then work on getting "their guys" in the later rounds. this is a solid strategy.

If there's equal rated OTs and RBs, i'd take the OT. We got very lucky in that not only was he the best player on the board, but also at a position of huge need.

Two questions:

Are you saying that you think the Spiller pick was driven by Ralph and not Nix?

Have you ever actually met anyone who bought tickets because they drafted Spiller instead of a lineman? The idea that those types of moves sells tickets is thrown around a lot, but is there any hard evidence to base it on?

Thanks for your thoughts

I bought pre-season tickets last year to watch Spiller. I won't do it this year to watch Dareus. Nothing against Dareus... just sayin. Plus I know of other casual fans that did the same.

These 2 sentences contradict each other. How can you not see this? Spiller was obviously not the best player available because someone thought he was, or because you want him to be. He had a lousy season last year and was not the best at anything. And, he played at perhaps the only position at which we had some depth. Picking him was stupid, check the w/l record and see.

Was Jamarcus Russell the best player available when he was drafted? Of course not; he was a flop!!!

General Managers are paid a lot of money. The good ones like Newsome draft good players. This is what makes them good. If all one had to do was listen to Mel Kiper, etc., everybody would draft players based only on where others ranked them. Is thia what you want the Bills to do? Ask Al Davis how he feels about the 35 or 40 million he spent on Russell. Will he tell you it's fine, Russell was the best player available, and ranked high?

Was Whitner the bpa? How about McKelvin, Losman or Maybin? Were they "ranked" high enough for you to call their picks worthy and sane?

Bill this is a little narrow minded....

from a potential and talent perspective there were MANY who felt CJ Spiller was the best player available at that pick (and some thought even higher)

So many things go into effect when a player actually gets on the field....what is the style of the offense....who are the blockers in front of him......is there a incumbant starter in front of him.....etc etc etc

And then there is simply the adjustment to the NFL game factor...there are many players that did not hit the ground running that were high picks that later on went on to have productive careers....a LONG list of 1st round players.

Its a team game....running backs need room to run....they need carries........its jut too early to start talking like this about CJ Spiller

OK, but look at your signature! :)

Running and stopping your opponent from doing so will always matter, especially in the elements.

Of course it matters, Bill. It just doesn't matter any more in Buffalo than it does in Alabama or anywhere else in my opinion. Every team needs to be prepared for bad weather, whether they play in Buffalo or Green Bay, or San Diego or Jacksonville...

I can't agree with this theory that because we play in a couple windy/cold home games towards the end of the regular season, we need to build our team differently than everyone else. San Diego has to go into Kansas City and into Denver every year, do you think its less important for them to run/stop the run than it is for Buffalo?

Edited by Big Bad Boone

San Diego has to go into Kansas City and into Denver every year, do you think its less important for them to run/stop the run than it is for Buffalo?

Actually I do.

I have been to RWS for 17 consecutive years. The latest we ever went was mid November. We were at the 6-3 debacle vs. Cleveland. It was in October and passing was not much of an option due to crazy swirling winds. I have sat through heavy rain, and was at the Halloween game vs. Ariz. Even Bledsoe was having some trouble throwing.

Peyton Manning is an all time great, but his numbers would not be the same in WNY. I am sure of this. This is not to mention the "blue collar" fans. Buffalo needs a tough football team. If they were just a little tougher we would have won a superbowl, and I think that both of us know this.

I hope that we are starting now. :thumbsup:

Actually I do.

I have been to RWS for 17 consecutive years. The latest we ever went was mid November. We were at the 6-3 debacle vs. Cleveland. It was in October and passing was not much of an option due to crazy swirling winds. I have sat through heavy rain, and was at the Halloween game vs. Ariz. Even Bledsoe was having some trouble throwing.

Peyton Manning is an all time great, but his numbers would not be the same in WNY. I am sure of this. This is not to mention the "blue collar" fans. Buffalo needs a tough football team. If they were just a little tougher we would have won a superbowl, and I think that both of us know this.

I hope that we are starting now. :thumbsup:

What may be lost on those who have not been to RWS is that even in the early part of the season the winds can become very unpredictable. It is critical that the Bills have a very solid run game and short passing game to go with it. The situation also calls for a QB with above average arm strength and accuracy. Absent the QB (I do think Fitz is serviceable but not THE answer) I believe the Bills are on the right track.

And this is where we differ.

First of all, the very term "BPA" is WAY over used to the point of being trite imo. But this aside, just how good was CJ Spiller? There were lots of better players available. How much do you invest in these mock drafts? Just because some of them rated Spiller high didn't make him a "value." It is the job of the front office to find players who are very good at #9.

And listen, I am fully aware that a great deal of picks do bust out at the 9 spot, but the Bills were not in a position to use that selection on a situational player. They had some depth at RB, and none at other positions. None. So, what would compel them to draft a part time running back at #9? Again, to think that revenue couldn't factor in (which you say it did with TO) is a bit short sighted imo.

It isn't. It's a great thing, but it doesn't necessarily translate into winning football games.

The premise of my OP is of praise for Mr. Wilson for apparently backing off a bit and letting football people do their jobs.

I really have to disagree with the highlighted part. I believe the new regime knew that Marshawn wasn't in their plans. Too many off-field distractions and like I always say, one blunt away from a year long suspension. So, if I am correct in my thinking that this is what the Bills brass were thinking, then rb does become a "need". Also, what makes you think that they drafted him to be a "part time" running back? This kid is going to get plenty of touches as time goes on, mark my words. And I have to believe Nix/Gailey drafted him to be more than just a part time player.

Well it gets you blitzed to death by the jets and one and done in the playoffs and without James Starks Greenbay doesn't make the superbowl. Still have to run in this league to win even though they are doing all they can to turn it into the Arena league.

this. NE isn't really the best example to use. They havent won a playoff game since 2007. Statistics gotta love em.

Of the top 10 passing teams only 4 made the playoffs. Of those 4 that made the playoffs only 1 of them won any playoff games. And like you said without James Starks GB probably doesn't even go to the superbowl