Now we need Stevie J to take that next step for the love of god PLEASE

I agree. The ball seems to move in his hands even when he makes the catch. It just doesn't make that latching feel/sound as soon as it hits his hands. I could also tell on several receptions it causes him to hesitate and cost him from being able to turn up field by taking that extra second to secure the ball.

I think he has to work on his mental toughness more than anything else. I believe he started dropping balls when he started thinking too much. I guess it's a chicken or the egg sort of thing tho...if he works hard on his hands maybe that will give him better resolve after a drop.

He dropped too many balls last year to be considered an "elite" receiver.

Let's hope he takes that next step this year. He gets targeted too much. Hopefully lee Evans has more chances this year.

I think Lee Evans needs to learn how to run a route and get open, not just a streak.

He dropped too many balls last year to be considered an "elite" receiver.

Let's hope he takes that next step this year. He gets targeted too much. Hopefully lee Evans has more chances this year.

Yes. Because elite receivers never drop a pass. Look at the list of leaders for dropped passes and name me one WR that isn't elite. Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Terrell Owens, Miles Austin, Pierre Garcon, all led the NFL in dropped passes. Fred Jackson, Ochocinco, Steve Smith, all dropped as many passes as Stevie last year so get off his jock.

Andre Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, and Donald Driver had just 1 less than Flyguy.

So I guess Reggie Wayne, T.O. Wes Welker, Brandon Marshall aren't elite WRs. I guess Andre Johnson is BARELY elite. :wallbash:

Edited by DreReed83

With the lockout and all, more likely he's sitting in front of a Juggs magazine

I knew there was gonna be at least one guy lol

Yes. Because elite receivers never drop a pass. Look at the list of leaders for dropped passes and name me one WR that isn't elite. Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Terrell Owens, Miles Austin, Pierre Garcon, all led the NFL in dropped passes. Fred Jackson dropped as many passes as Stevie last year so get off his jock.

Andre Johnson and Donald Driver had 1 less than Flyguy.

Get real

If you think that he doesn't have a problem with dropped balls that hit him right in the hands you are deluding yourself. I still think he is a very good player......but everyone has something to work on and this is his thing.

I knew there was gonna be at least one guy lol

If you think that he doesn't have a problem with dropped balls that hit him right in the hands you are deluding yourself. I still think he is a very good player......but everyone has something to work on and this is his thing.

Stats don't lie. WR's that get targeted that much are gonna drop passes. It happens to the best of em. I'm not saying he's elite, but he is one of the better WRs in the game and the stats prove it. He caught 82 passes and dropped 8. God forbid. Dam him to h*ll !!! :rolleyes:

Andre Johnson had 86 receptions and dropped 7.

Reggie Wayne had 111 receptions and dropped 13.

Brandon Marshall 86 receptions and dropped 11

Even elite WRs drop passes.

Edited by DreReed83

Stats don't lie. WR's that get targeted that much are gonna drop passes. It happens to the best of em. I'm not saying he's elite, but he is one of the better WRs in the game and the stats prove it. He caught 82 passes and dropped 8. God forbid. Dam him to h*ll !!! :rolleyes:

oK, Ok, Mr. Stats, tell me then what's the stat for WRs dropping passes right there in the endzone costing their team a winning TD (see game vs.Pittsburgh). Thanks

Yes. Because elite receivers never drop a pass. Look at the list of leaders for dropped passes and name me one WR that isn't elite. Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Terrell Owens, Miles Austin, Pierre Garcon, all led the NFL in dropped passes. Fred Jackson, Ochocinco, Steve Smith, all dropped as many passes as Stevie last year so get off his jock.

So I guess Reggie Wayne, T.O. Wes Welker, Brandon Marshall aren't elite WRs. I guess Andre Johnson is BARELY elite. :wallbash:

Once again you take a harmless opinion and turn it into a personal attack. Lovely, just lovely.

About the WRs, Johnson, Fitzgerald, White, and Wayne are the only true elites. Calling Miles Austin or Pierre Garcon elite is stretching it a bit.

First of all, dropped passes are not an official stat and are subjective to interpretation. Second, I promise you SJ dropped more than 8 passes that he should have caught, I mean he had 5 in the Pitt game alone. Third, SJ drops too many passes that simply someone at this level should not be dropping.

More importantly though is that SJ was no where near as important on the field as those other receivers were last season. Too many times he was irrelevant for the bulk of the game and in several games compiled most of his stats once the game was out of reach. I am still high on him, it was still a break out year for him, but he is far from being in the conversation of the receivers you have on your list. He was no where near a game changer where he just took over games or was truly a dominant player on the field.

Overall, he had a break out season and I am looking forward to see how he builds on it. But, he has to be able make strides this year to be a factor throughout the game, make the catches he is supposed to make, and work on his mental game to be able to be relied upon in key situations.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Names like these will always be high on the list because of the amount of balls thrown to them. But to bring up this list doesn't discount Stevie having a real problem with droping balls.

oK, Ok, Mr. Stats, tell me then what's the stat for WRs dropping passes right there in the endzone costing their team a winning TD (see game vs.Pittsburgh). Thanks

There's no degree in difficulty or importance of difficulty stat in football. This isn't figure skating or gymnastics. A dropped pass is a dropped pass regardless of the difficulty, or whatever. So he missed one dropped pass. It benefited us anyways so who gives a sht? Without that dropped pass we'd be picking 6th in the NFL draft and would've had what to pick? We ended up with Dareus due to his dropped pass. So what's your beef?

Names like these will always be high on the list because of the amount of balls thrown to them. But to bring up this list doesn't discount Stevie having a real problem with droping balls.

Steve Johnson was targeted 143 times in 2010. That ranks 7th in the league in most amount of targets. More than Andre Johnson. More than Terrell Owens.More than Marques Colston. More than Calvin Johnson.

Yet his numbers were similar to that of Andre. Am I saying he's better than Andre Johnson. NOPE. But ALL i'm saying is cut him some slack. He gets thrown to more than Andre and has about as many drops as Andre.

Whoopeee. <_<

First of all, dropped passes are not an official stat and are subjective to interpretation. Second, I promise you SJ dropped more than 8 passes that he should have caught, I mean he had 5 in the Pitt game alone. Third, SJ drops too many passes that simply someone at this level should not be dropping.

More importantly though is that SJ was no where near as important on the field as those other receivers were last season. Too many times he was irrelevant for the bulk of the game and in several games compiled most of his stats once the game was out of reach. I am still high on him, it was still a break out year for him, but he is far from being in the conversation of the receivers you have on your list. He was no where near a game changer where he just took over games or was truly a dominant player on the field.

Overall, he had a break out season and I am looking forward to see how he builds on it. But, he has to be able make strides this year to be a factor throughout the game, make the catches he is supposed to make, and work on his mental game to be able to be relied upon in key situations.

OK. So then who's to say that Reggie Wayne and Wes Welker didn't have more dropped passes? Maybe they dropped more balls than that then. Or does that rule ONLY account for Stevie??? :rolleyes:

Stevie can catch the ball coz he's got 9-5/8'' claws. Stevie's #1 attribute is his route running. I'd like to see Stevie get stronger than his 2008 pro day 6 225 reps, 275 max bench. If he develops a stronger upperbody he'd be a much tougher matchup against physical corners. The only area of improvement I could see on the stat line would be to get him the ball deep as his long was only 45 yards. He grabbed 11 passes over 20 yards and had 401 yards after catch. Stevie ranked #5 among WRs in yards after the catch.

Stevie can catch the ball coz he's got 9-5/8'' claws. Stevie's #1 attribute is his route running. I'd like to see Stevie get stronger than his 2008 pro day 6 225 reps, 275 max bench. If he develops a stronger upperbody he'd be a much tougher matchup against physical corners. The only area of improvement I could see on the stat line would be to get him the ball deep as his long was only 45 yards. He grabbed 11 passes over 20 yards and had 401 yards after catch. Stevie ranked #5 among WRs in yards after the catch.

Agreed. Stevie is one of the best OVERALL WR's we've had in a long long time.

Can't wait to see what Easley does.

OK. So then who's to say that Reggie Wayne and Wes Welker didn't have more dropped passes? Maybe they dropped more balls than that then. Or does that rule ONLY account for Stevie??? :rolleyes:

Of all the things in my post, thats the only thing you wanted to respond with? Convenient...

Again, SJ dropped too many passes that players on this level should not be dropping. SJ was irrelevant far too often when the game still mattered and emerged to grab some late game stats with the game all but over. SJ was not dominating games the likes of those receivers you listed. SJ had mental lapses in important situations. You can grasp all you want to his year end stats, but the truth is SJ had a break out year for a 7th round draft pick, but at this point he compares more to Peerless Price more so than the receivers on your list. He has a lot to prove this year with the expectations he has now established and needs to elevate his game.

I like him a lot, and I think last year was a break out year, but not a dominant year. He has not emerged as a game changer or a true #1 receiver, and he won't until he can be relied on to make the catches in the tough spots, gets his mental game in check, and can prove to be a consistent factor throughout games.

# of games over 75 yards = 3

# of games less than 60 yards = 9

# of games with more than 5 catches = 5

He also only reached the endzone in 2 of his last 9 games...

Thats not the season of a dominant WR...he has a lot of potential, and I like him, but to talk about him in the same breath as the top receivers in the game is a bit premature. I am looking forward to seeing how he does this year and hopes that he emerges as a true #1.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I LOVE Stevie Johnson.

Not worried about him taking the next step at all. If you saw his pre-draft workouts it was very clear that one thing he did very well was pluck the ball out of the air. His hands are soft and strong.

Someday soon, we'll forget that he had a case of the dropsies during his first year as a starter .

Stats are for losers

Everyone says that when the figures diasgree with their opinions.

Johnson caught 58% of the catches thrown his way. He dropped 1 in 20. If one of those was not in the end zone agaisnt the Steelers, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But look on the bright side: had Stevie caught that pass, the Bills would have drafted lower. Better we should thank him for making Dareus a Bill.

Everyone says that when the figures diasgree with their opinions.

Johnson caught 58% of the catches thrown his way. He dropped 1 in 20. If one of those was not in the end zone agaisnt the Steelers, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Johnson dropped a lot of passes that day because Polumalo had a monster game. He was all over the field, and Johnson was hearing footsteps. Polumalo broke up that play even though he was not in coverage. This was a period of play for Polumalo that took him (deservedly) to the league Defensive MVP even though he missed games, which is remarkable.

Im not down on Stevie......but dont look at the fricken stat line look at how many times he either

a. Dropped a ball that hit him right in the hands

b. Was turning upfield too quick and lost concentration catching the ball

I dont go by stats....I go by what my eyes tell me on the field.....stat lines are skewed because of the times receivers are thrown poorly thrown balls and they drop them.....I am talking about right in the hands dropped balls

To me THIS is what keeps stevie from being considered an elite reciever right now (which I root for him to be)....he has great run after catch....he gets open....and he scores touchdowns.....

Johnson dropped a lot of passes that day

I'm excited about Easley too. I like Stevie J but he is probably going to be our #4 or #5 WR.

He's been a receiver all his life. You think he's going to all of a sudden learn how to catch this year?

He's a #2 WR, a damn effective one. Don't expect him to make a leap to a #1 WR.

This is quite the TSW trifecta.

Of all the things in my post, thats the only thing you wanted to respond with? Convenient...

Again, SJ dropped too many passes that players on this level should not be dropping. SJ was irrelevant far too often when the game still mattered and emerged to grab some late game stats with the game all but over. SJ was not dominating games the likes of those receivers you listed. SJ had mental lapses in important situations. You can grasp all you want to his year end stats, but the truth is SJ had a break out year for a 7th round draft pick, but at this point he compares more to Peerless Price more so than the receivers on your list. He has a lot to prove this year with the expectations he has now established and needs to elevate his game.

I like him a lot, and I think last year was a break out year, but not a dominant year. He has not emerged as a game changer or a true #1 receiver, and he won't until he can be relied on to make the catches in the tough spots, gets his mental game in check, and can prove to be a consistent factor throughout games.

# of games over 75 yards = 3

# of games less than 60 yards = 9

# of games with more than 5 catches = 5

He also only reached the endzone in 2 of his last 9 games...

Thats not the season of a dominant WR...he has a lot of potential, and I like him, but to talk about him in the same breath as the top receivers in the game is a bit premature. I am looking forward to seeing how he does this year and hopes that he emerges as a true #1.

The ONLY time I compared his stats to the elite is dropped passes to prove my point. He was one of the most targeted WRs in the NFL last year and he caught a whole ton of them. All those stats that you're throwing at me. I don't give a sht. Sure, break down those numbers. I never really said he was as good as Andre or as good as Reggie. Did I? All I was doing was comparing dropped passes. Is he as good as Reggie or Andre? Not yet but he's OUR number 1. When was the last time we had a WR that produced like he did last year? Lee Evans? He is the epitome of overrated. Does he even go to the middle or run any other routes other than a fly?

So go ahead and show me more stats I don't care about. My stats pertained to the topic of dropped passes. Somehow, you took what I said and twisted it to something completely different. I understand though. People have a tendency to do that when they have nothing better to say. :thumbsup:

Say what you will about him not being a number one. He was CLEARLY OUR number one. Sure Stevie should work on his hands. What WR SHOULDN'T?

OK is Stevie going to the pro bowl???? I don't thinki so.Is he going to grab 1000 again???I don't think so,but the monkey is off his back and you will see around 700 yards as his standard.It could be more if Evans don't take the next step.Plus we now have another 3-4 guys that are going to pull in about 1500 yards unless both Evans and Easley have great years then it will be more like 2500-3000 yards.

Now as far as the drops go there is another thing to put into the conversation.That is Fitz and what a lot of us say quietly and that is he needs to step up and get more accurate.

Yes I know that there were some chest bouncers but being a foot to a foot and a half off mark too.

As far as asking about a dropped game changing pass,that question should go to Ronnie Harmon.

OK is Stevie going to the pro bowl???? I don't thinki so.Is he going to grab 1000 again???I don't think so,but the monkey is off his back and you will see around 700 yards as his standard.It could be more if Evans don't take the next step.Plus we now have another 3-4 guys that are going to pull in about 1500 yards unless both Evans and Easley have great years then it will be more like 2500-3000 yards.

Now as far as the drops go there is another thing to put into the conversation.That is Fitz and what a lot of us say quietly and that is he needs to step up and get more accurate.

Yes I know that there were some chest bouncers but being a foot to a foot and a half off mark too.

As far as asking about a dropped game changing pass,that question should go to Ronnie Harmon.

Nice post and welcome aboard.

I personally think Johnson is going to the Pro Bowl…but that's partly based on the red sneakers he was wearing on NFLNetwork tonight.

It's spelled God. Capitol "G".

Only for certain people.

Yes, Steve Johnson with his 82 catches, 1,073 yards and 11 touchdowns is going to be our #5 receiver.

Number 5? Nah.

But think about it... He got a lot more action because of injuries and all that...

Next year we could have Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson and Easley. All guys who have pretty good upside and talent. Johnson should have less pressure on him next year, imo.

If Evans hasn't stepped it up another notch by now, then what makes you think that next year will be any different? As far as I'm concerned, Johnson is Fitz's go to guy which makes him OUR number 1 receiving threat. I don't see Parrish, Easley and Evan's as an immediate threat so the ball has to go somewhere.

He's been a receiver all his life. You think he's going to all of a sudden learn how to catch this year?

He's a #2 WR, a damn effective one. Don't expect him to make a leap to a #1 WR.

82-1100-11 is a number 2 WR? What the hell are your standards for a #1 WR then? According to you, there about 10 "#1 WRs" in the league.

Stevie damn sure played like a #1 WR last season.

82-1100-11 is a number 2 WR? What the hell are your standards for a #1 WR then? According to you, there about 10 "#1 WRs" in the league.

Stevie damn sure played like a #1 WR last season.

No he didn't play like a #1. He dropped too many balls. It's not like he's going to duplicate those numbers on a consistent basis with his poor hands. I expect his numbers to regress.

Put it this way. The goal is to win the Super Bowl, right? We're not winning a Super Bowl with Johnson as the #1 wideout. He's a #2, and if we had access to the minds of all 32 NFL GMs, I bet most of them consider Stevie to be a #2 as well.

We can and should strive to do better at the WR position.