Whaley promoted

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right; the mentally impaired often look at things quite differently.

Good Lord.

You're right, eball, I must be mentally retarded for expressing a contrary opinion, which is that perhaps no one in the organization has earned a promotion yet. Please tell me what Whaley has accomplished in his Bills tenure? So far as I can tell, he presided over the Cornell Green and Dwan Edwards acquisitions. Good lord indeed, please pardon me if I'm not yet impressed. Other than coming from the Steelers and getting hyped by Peter King, and not being named Modrak, I don't know why he's so impressive to everyone. Perhaps he is great at what he does, I wouldn't know it and frankly, neither would you. This is the same organization that promoted Brandon and Modrak multiple times. But hey, I'm mentally impaired for questioning the way things work at OBD. Got it.

OT: could someone tell me why the "ignore user" feature has been turned off?

So I'll assume that is directed at me. You know what, be my guest man. Frankly, if all you want is the same singular opinion over and over, I'm not sure why you'd even participate in a message board. I'll tell you this: if the Bills were a public company that had underperformed for a decade, had a history of poor management decisions, and promoted a brand-new executive after one year on the job where the company's overall performance declined, shareholders would be skeptical. Not saying it's bad news, but it's indifferent. And that's a goddamn valid opinion, dude.

It does, but it doesn't get rid of the user, it just 'minimizes' their posts.

Yeah, but mine aren't minimized any more...they're visable in all their 'glory' :wallbash:

If any mods (Scott?) would like to chime in, I'd appreciate it.

So I'll assume that is directed at me. You know what, be my guest man. Frankly, if all you want is the same singular opinion over and over, I'm not sure why you'd even participate in a message board. I'll tell you this: if the Bills were a public company that had underperformed for a decade, had a history of poor management decisions, and promoted a brand-new executive after one year on the job where the company's overall performance declined, shareholders would be skeptical. Not saying it's bad news, but it's indifferent. And that's a goddamn valid opinion, dude.

Not all that clear on what you're advocating. As executives in this underperforming organization are fired or retire or get hit by a bus is your desired approach to:

1. Leave the position unfilled

ii. Bring in someone brand new from outside the organization

c. Outsource management decisions to message board posters

Four. Other (please specify)

Not all that clear on what you're advocating. As executives in this underperforming organization are fired or retire or get hit by a bus is your desired approach to:

1. Leave the position unfilled

ii. Bring in someone brand new from outside the organization

c. Outsource management decisions to message board posters

Four. Other (please specify)

My position is that this is neither good news nor bad news... just like the draft, we need to wait and see.

You're right, eball, I must be mentally retarded for expressing a contrary opinion, which is that perhaps no one in the organization has earned a promotion yet. Please tell me what Whaley has accomplished in his Bills tenure? So far as I can tell, he presided over the Cornell Green and Dwan Edwards acquisitions. Good lord indeed, please pardon me if I'm not yet impressed. Other than coming from the Steelers and getting hyped by Peter King, and not being named Modrak, I don't know why he's so impressive to everyone. Perhaps he is great at what he does, I wouldn't know it and frankly, neither would you. This is the same organization that promoted Brandon and Modrak multiple times. But hey, I'm mentally impaired for questioning the way things work at OBD. Got it.

It's funny how people forget the Bills HC search just over a year ago. It was an embarrassment that they wanted to interview multiple candidates and were repeatedly turned down. Weeks later, Chan Gailey was named HC without much notice, aside from a notable poster on TBD.

Now there's a vacancy in the front office, and we're surprised at promotions from within? I like Doug Whaley, but the above comment basically spells out why he's hyped in Buffalo by the TBD homers: he's not Modrak, he was formerly with a good organization, and he got props from some national NFL people. Aside from that, what's he done in Buffalo?

What it all boils down to is this: When you've got a track record of failure, most normal people will wait to give plaudits until they see on-field success. Buffalo took a step back last year and we're seeing that the team won't interview or won't/can't consider outside people. Not surprisingly, some people question the Bills for their front office decisions and the homers attack. I guess contrarian opinions are now illegal. :lol:

Your comment was that Ralph should "cease promoting anyone" because the Bills aren't good yet. That's a ridiculous statement. And that's my only point.

What it all boils down to is this: When you've got a track record of failure, most normal people will wait to give plaudits until they see on-field success. Buffalo took a step back last year and we're seeing that the team won't interview or won't/can't consider outside people. Not surprisingly, some people question the Bills for their front office decisions and the homers attack. I guess contrarian opinions are now illegal. :lol:

I am SO glad you guys are around to keep us grounded. After all, that's the reason I root for a sports team and visit a message board in the first place. Hi-freaking-larious.

Edited by eball

My position is that this is neither good news nor bad news... just like the draft, we need to wait and see.

Which is fine as far as it goes, but it really doesn't match up with "But one might argue, maybe Ralph should cease promoting anyone until this team achieves a winning record..." at all.

Many on this board clobbered the hiring of Nix and the subsequent hiring of Chan. These good ol' boys have a plan and it's taking shape. The next generation is now in place and our FO is for real. I, for one, am pumped about our team's fortunes. Go Bills!

Some people spend their lives looking backwards - others look forward. We know where you fall in that equation. You're the little cloud that cried.

If you want to be negative about this then yeah. But this is a positive thing and people should be happy about this. Whaley is a smart football guy and we'd be lucky for him to be our GM when Nix is no longer around.

Until we start winning everyone in the Bills front office will be flogged and replaced every year. A recipe for success.

PTR

Didn't you guys get the memo? You must be ardent supporters of whomever is in power, until they invariably demonstrate their utter incompetence.

Thats basically what being a fan (from the word: Fanatic) is all about.

If you only follow the team, and post on the board, because you want to prove to other posters that you can run a franchise better than Ralph, then... I dont know what to say... Find a hobby?

Second guessing some moves, and/or discussing them in depth to gain more knowledge is great. But pissing all over every move the organization makes just to "vent" and whine about the past is pretty sad, and annoying.

Not saying you do this, Im speaking about the Negative Nancys in general.

We replaced the guy everyone has been begging to be fired. We replaced him with a young, highly touted talent from a winning organization. Possibly the best run organization in the league. No one is saying we're going to the Super Bowl yet, but cant some of us be happy that there are steps being taken in the right direction, without having to be reminded of stuff that is way behind us?

Thats basically what being a fan (from the word: Fanatic) is all about.

If you only follow the team, and post on the board, because you want to prove to other posters that you can run a franchise better than Ralph, then... I dont know what to say... Find a hobby?

Second guessing some moves, and/or discussing them in depth to gain more knowledge is great. But pissing all over every move the organization makes just to "vent" and whine about the past is pretty sad, and annoying.

Not saying you do this, Im speaking about the Negative Nancys in general.

We replaced the guy everyone has been begging to be fired. We replaced him with a young, highly touted talent from a winning organization. Possibly the best run organization in the league. No one is saying we're going to the Super Bowl yet, but cant some of us be happy that there are steps being taken in the right direction, without having to be reminded of stuff that is way behind us?

I agree.

And just for the record, I was a relatively early supporter of the Nix hiring. To me it seemed obvious he's a "football" guy. With regards to Chan, I was severely underwhelmed at first. I wanted some proven Marty ball. However, Chan was a billion times better than Jauron in interviews and I liked what he had to say. Then it didn't take a genius (once Trent was gone) to notice that our offense finally managed to do something. I will also add that I didn't like Edwards as DC and was almost brought to a Jauron-like level of frustration when I would see Chris Kelsay covering tight ends.

Anywho, I like where this franchise is going. It feels like there's finally a plan in place. Go Bills :)

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

It remains to be seen if the steps being taken are steps in the right direction. However, it's undeniable that a lot of steps have been taken in the last 2? years to improve and address problems with this team. Furthermore, most of these steps have been called for by the "negative nancies" on this board forever. So, you'd think attitudes about the team would be improving?

The Bills have essentially replaced the entire FO, now. Modrak was the last of the failed decade staff to go. We're purging the roster of the small, too comfortable with losing players from the failed decade (although there's a few more I'd love to see go this summer, eg. Kelsay, McCargo). The new players being brought in (FAs and draftees) are at positions of need. They realized Edwards was in over his head as DC and bought in a significant assistant to help him. They've replaced the uniform of the failed decade with what we all anticipate to be a much desired retro upgrade. Now, it seems we're replacing the turf from the failed decade; perhaps even getting colored end zones back.

Quite honestly, that's a lot! It's been done relatively slowly and methodically; but, it has been done. Now, let's hope for it all to translate to success on the field. If it does, then we're clearly heading in the right direction and the overall mood of the fanbase should improve along with it. IMO, last season we did see improved play on the field. It didn't translate to the win column. But, I saw many things that we hadn't seen in years. My biggest concern now is how much will/is the lockout preventing the players and coaches from continuing to build on that modest progress.