Donte Whitner compares himself to Jesus

Wow. Talk about a stretch. In no way or form did I make the comparison that he was saying he was like Jesus. Whitner gets killed in Buffalo and I'm sure he gets a lot of crap on Twitter. It's his fault for even providing an outlet to let cowards attack him.

The general point is that even the greatest person ever (depending on your religious beliefs) was hated on. Stop trying to make something out of nothing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to what Hopeful just posted, knowing how people spin stuff on this board, I would generally not trust a 2nd-hand account of someone describing what's on Whitner's Twitter page.

If it's not taken in context it's not an accurate portrayal.

For what it's worth, I looked up a little context:

dwhitner People hated Jesus

pthomas3434 @dwhitner people hated Jesus? And the point is?

dwhitner @pthomas3434 there is no point

pthomas3434 is patricia thomas, thurman thomas' wife

Someone else interpreted as it's been interpreted here, and was getting all huffy

patricia jumped in asking whitner what was his point.

he backed away from the personal comparison to say "no point".

So...there you have it...the official Whitner interpretation is "there is no point".

If you just read his response to pthomas "there is no point" you could build up a different story about that too

Maybe something which would start with "why don't you let them know you want to stay in Buffalo?" "there is no point"

Matching up the times, paints a different story

Why are we trying to run this guy out of town ? He a good young player. Get a pass rush, and don't put the D on the field for 75 plays a game. As for the cost of his contract, who cares. If he wants 6 mil a year give it to him. Instead of being 50 mil under the cap, well be 44 mil under the cap.

:thumbsup:

Thing is though, if we refuse to go to say...60M...then signing him could potentially preclude us signing someone else good. But...I don't see that happening.

Be fair...I followed the link and there is some fairly classy stuff there:

@ajwilliams04 yo congrats on being drafted bro...now the work starts....hopefully I'm there in Buffalo to help u guys...imma follow DM me #

@jairusbyrd thanks bro...u kno u belong here also!!! (in response to being rated a top-10 safety)

I respect Mr. Buddy Nix tremendously but we all have to remember this is a business...I have no ill feelings..1 love Buff

I think he is a stream of consciousness kinda guy and sometimes doesn't realize how he will get taken. It's really reader interpretation that "People hated Jesus" is a comparison of himself to Jesus and not a religion-theme, right?

"but if only they knew the power he possessed" is an addition when someone else retweeted his comment, and shouldn't be hung up on Whitner at all.

He also likes to get cute and yank people's chains - tweeting about stuff in a way he knows can (and is likely to) get taken differently "I'm gone!" "oh, how do you know it wasn't about a woman?"

It probably was, no CBA and what team would be fool enough to negotiate outside the rules with a blab-mouth who will help build evidence to get them caught and charged with tampering?

I'll put it out there: if Whitner is on board with wanting to play hard and train hard and improve, he's a good player and I want him back if he's willing to be signed at a reasonable price. I don't think we are so chock-full of good players that we can afford to toss out players who have never been in any kind of legal or league trouble and have played hard, just because we interpret their tweets a certain way and it offends us. To build a winning team, the only reason to toss out a good player is because you have a better player on-tap.

So for example, if we want to toss out Whitner to make salary room for pursuing a good FA safety who suits us better (bigger, stronger, wraps and tackles instead of back-tackling), cool

Because his tweeting annoys us? Don't read it....http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/earmuffs.html

For Donte's sake I wish someone would drop his Smartphone in a urinal......like that ad....."Seriously?"

My issue isnt twitter - it seems twitter is a symptom. Donte gets upset, he throws fits. He has an immature view of the world. Really I could care less about twitter but I think those issues show in his play, and probably in his preparation/practice, and effect those around him.

Fantastic album. A TRIPLE album, no less. George is my favorite Beatle!

Don't have much to say about Dante - what's left to say, really, except "Goodbye?" - but did want to say that I've been listening to the George Harrison "All Things Must Pass" CD recently and I love your screen name.

Why are we trying to run this guy out of town ? He a good young player. Get a pass rush, and don't put the D on the field for 75 plays a game. As for the cost of his contract, who cares. If he wants 6 mil a year give it to him. Instead of being 50 mil under the cap, well be 44 mil under the cap.

He's really been trying to run himself out of town. If he'd just kept his mouth shut and let his agent negotiate, he might have had a chance to stay in Buffalo. At this point, I'd say it's a long shot.

My issue isnt twitter - it seems twitter is a symptom. Donte gets upset, he throws fits. He has an immature view of the world. Really I could care less about twitter but I think those issues show in his play, and probably in his preparation/practice, and effect those around him.

Point granted, NoSaint. I think that's been true of a number of young players. It was probably true of a bunch of young Bills during the early '90s. Fortunately, twitter did not exist as an outlet for them to advertise their immaturity, and they went on to mature both as people and as players without making a public fool of themselves to the extent available to today's young players.

I wouldn't be surprised if your point is in the minds of the Bills front office - maybe they perceive firsthand what you surmise - and have influenced the offer they're willing to make him.

Here is my thought: in the high stakes poker game, Buddy officially called DW's bluff -- and Buddy has the winning hand. That is to say that I believe that if the lockout were to be lifted that Whitner would quickly sign the last offer that the Bills made to keep him in the fold. And I suspect that Buddy would be willing to take him back, no hard feelings.

Not sure I'd be too excited handing a $6-7m per year contract to someone who's dumb/immature enough to argue with fans on a social media site.

If a tweet will set him off imagine what a tightend that just got a catch must be capable of

Every time this guy opens his fingers, I like him less. He is now my least favorite member of the team and the one I most want out.

See - I was a big supporter but the more he's talked- especially since mid season- I worry about what he's said as a "team leader" when he gets these young impressionable guys over to his house for film study. Does he gripe about his coaches, the business of the game and the city the whole time? Tell them how he's a martyr? I guess I took for granted that it wasn't just the act of reaching out that was important, and at this point I do have wonders about if I want him reaching out to more guys.

Agree with you, sounds more like a message to Donte, what one of the posters in that thread was claiming.

I agree, and IMO the message in both of the statements is "Donte knows what we're prepared to offer, and he can take it or leave it, and no amount of social media posturing will change that."

See - I was a big supporter but the more he's talked- especially since mid season- I worry about what he's said as a "team leader" when he gets these young impressionable guys over to his house for film study. Does he gripe about his coaches, the business of the game and the city the whole time? Tell them how he's a martyr? I guess I took for granted that it wasn't just the act of reaching out that was important, and at this point I do have wonders about if I want him reaching out to more guys.

Yup, that's my thinking. He is NOT a leader. Leaders are not self-pitying whiners. This clown is only going to hurt the team chemistry at a time when they have an influx of young talent that might be able to turn around this mess of a defense. You might consider putting up with some of that if he was a star, but for his medicore play there's no way it's worth it.

My fault, fellas.

I'm sure he's heard me over the years.. every time he takes a ridiculous bad angle to miss a tackle, ALLOWS a TE to catch a pass unobstructed or gets cartwheeled backward from a block, I yell "JESUS CHRIST! Whitner!"

I understand him misunderstanding this..:blink: