Buddy Nix "Donte doesn't want to be here, so he won't be b

He didn't say that. He said Whitner doesn't want to be there and probably won't. The fact that he put a tender on him before the lockout started should tell us something. The fact that Nix also said, around that same time, that it was up to Donte whether he wanted to come back or not also should tell us something.

The Bills want him back. They want him back at their price though. That's business related. Not football related. Gailey has praised Whitner many times for his contributions. The amount of Whitner bashing is tiresome. He's not as bad as he's made out to be. He definitely hasn't played like a Polamalu or Reed. True enough. But he's okay. I like the Searcy pick. Bring in some true competition for that position and see if Whitner raises his game.

What I hear in Nix's comments are that he think Whitner will sign elsewhere. But if 2010 rules are used this season Whitner will be back whether he wants to be back or not.

And on a side note. For all the Whitner is a whiner talk a lot of fans are no better whining about Whitner whining. LoL. Stay off his twitter and it won't be an issue...

The Bills want Whitner back, but to compete for the job and not necessarily win it. Which means they're not looking to pay him a lot of money. I have no doubt that Whitner's contract demands are higher than what his rookie contract was, and that's not going to happen for him, anywhere.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner should've never been the 8th overall pick. He should've never donned a Bills' uni. He takes bad angles defending the run, is not stout enough against the run, and struggles with his assignments in coverage. He is his own biggest hype machine. Sad thing is that his play on the field never matched his talk off of it. Good bye Donte. :flirt:

It's nice to at least have an honest GM who doesn't give you a bunch of guff about how, "OF COURSE" they want Donte. It's refreshing to hear a 'Don't let hit the door hit ya'

They drafted 3 db's passing on a pass rushing OLB in the 2nd, Brooks Reed maybe. How much are they going to try to sign Florence who was our best corner last year. Something tells me Whitner will end up in the division in a better situation making a lot less than he thinks he is worth. He clearly was not worth a #8 pick first round but he was only defender that would put a hit on someone. More than we can expect from our pansie a$$ LB's.

Nix has made some good moves like getting rid of TE, but TE never should have started last year. Nix has made some questionable moves so far. Is Kelsey worth his contract? Is Fitz really the man? Drafting 3 CB's when we have Wilson and Byrd in the fold? Was the need for 3 CB's more than our need for a QB or a pass rusher or a Guard. After squandering last years opportunity to make the team better and questionable contract signings I still say the jury is still out on Nix. As refreshing as it is to hear Nix and Gailey with their straight forward approach, it has only resulted in more loses so it all sounds like guff to me.

Donte is a good football player, but he has always been a liability in the passing game and other teams know it. The Bills need to fix that and the same goes for Kelsey, who can’t cover a TE to save his life.

Don't forget Poz as well.

Edited by VADC Bills

What is the purpose of tendering an offer (besides the fact that it allows you to match offers depending on the CBA)?

Other teams can't sign him without giving compensation. If he plays, he plays under the offer tendered, and therefore comes at a great discount. If they play under the 2010 rules the Bills own his rights.

Buddy nix pretty much stopped short of saying Whitner !@#$ that guy. Seriously good to hear the team is doing what it can to keep Florence. Mcgee and Mckelvin are injured and too inconsistant while Williams is just a rookie. Florence would add depth and consistancy

I do have a question for those who continue to say "Donte is a good Football Player." How exactly is a SS a good Football Player when he's an obvious liability in Pass Coverage, takes bad angles, misses Tackles, etc?...Since Donte has been in Buffalo have The Bills been able to cover a TE? I know it's just a matter of words...But he's not a good NFL Strong Safety...Maybe he's average or a little better than average...But a good Football Player would make his Defense better simply by being on the field...He would not be a liability in coverage as a DB...A good Player might not lead the league in INT's or Passes Defended...But he would certainly be in the middle area for his Position...

5 Seasons...69 Games...5 INT's...19 Passes Defended at the SS Position...That's .275 Passes Defended per Game!!! Good?

So Donte is a good Player? Why because he has a slew of tackles 10 yards past the line of scrimmage? He's not a good Football Player...He's an average Football Player who can be a liability at a HUGE part of his Position... B-)

It's nice to at least have an honest GM who doesn't give you a bunch of guff about how, "OF COURSE" they want Donte. It's refreshing to hear a 'Don't let hit the door hit ya'

I don't think that's quite what he said. He didn't say "Donte Whitner won't be back" or "I don't think he wants to be here and he won't be"

He said "I don't think he wants to be here and he probably won't be".

I could be wrong, but I didn't hear that as slamming the door. I heard it as a warning shot across the bow to Donte' and his agents for when negotiations start:

"Persuade us that you want to be here enough to negotiate in good faith. And quit with the whining. We can live without you and we will if you don't make that gesture."

He did say Florence was a priority of theirs

http://wedg.com/

on the right listen to the buddy nix interview

I can see it now - DW leaves for another team, makes one highlight reel next season and this board erupts with 'we should never have let him go, he is doing great with new scenery, look how great he is, this is why the Bills/FO/RW suck'

I don't think that's quite what he said. He didn't say "Donte Whitner won't be back" or "I don't think he wants to be here and he won't be"

He said "I don't think he wants to be here and he probably won't be".

I could be wrong, but I didn't hear that as slamming the door. I heard it as a warning shot across the bow to Donte' and his agents for when negotiations start:

"Persuade us that you want to be here enough to negotiate in good faith. And quit with the whining. We can live without you and we will if you don't make that gesture."

I listened to the Interview...It did not sound to me like Nix was throwing any messages out at all...They asked about Florance and he was crystal clear he wanted Drayton back and thet Drayton want to be in Buffalo...He said The Bills will definitely try to sign DF...Then his voice trailed off when he made the Whitner quote...Sounded pretty cut and dry to me...He could have said they want Donte back just like he did with Florance...He did not say that...AND he also said he thinks Whitner does not want to be here and probably wont. When you look at the comparison between the Florance and the Whitner comments there is a stark contrast...So... B-)

I can see it now - DW leaves for another team, makes one highlight reel next season and this board erupts with 'we should never have let him go, he is doing great with new scenery, look how great he is, this is why the Bills/FO/RW suck'

Well I for one can promise you 1000% that you will NEVER here me criticizing The Bills for allowing Whitner to go...EVER! :lol:

If the tags hold up Beerball, if someone tries to sign Donte, they'll owe us compensation based on the slot they gave him. I'd assume they either gave him lowest (which is the round he was drafted - 1st) or the 2nd rounder if they want to move him.

Exactly. That is why he was tendered, not because the team had any thoughts of bringing him back.

Fine with me, but I don't hate Whitner as much as some. He will never fulfill his potential as a first rounder though.

I am not a fan of Donte. Part of it is based on his play (can't cover tight ends, consistently tries to shoulder tackle instead of wrapping the arms, embarassingly celebrates a tackle after the opposing player made a first down, etc)

But the main reason I don't care for him is his big mouth. If he were a good player, I could deal with it, but he isn't. His tweets are embarassing. He acts like a teenage girl. The best Donte memory for me will be when he got tasered in Cleveland for not listening to a police officer. Then he rants and raves about how he is innocent and the truth will come out. Well, apparently the truth has yet to come out, because he plead guilty. He's a joke and I will be happy when he is officially gone.

I listened to the chat. You guys are fortunate in Buffalo to have a radio show with that sort of Q&A. It's part Nix and part the hosts. I have to put up with the tired skullduggery of Andy Reid and Joe Banner trying to out think the fanbase every time they are on the radio. Eagles fans have never gotten that sort of candor from a radio interview.

Actually, I wished he would have said something about Poz too. Good intreviw though thanks for posting it up.

I think he kind of did indirectly. He said a lot about competition making everyone better, and that Sheppard would compete for an ILB spot, if doesn't make it, he'll make the starters better.

Looking at the ILBs on our roster I think he meant Davis and Poz.

They drafted 3 db's passing on a pass rushing OLB in the 2nd, Brooks Reed maybe. How much are they going to try to sign Florence who was our best corner last year. Something tells me Whitner will end up in the division in a better situation making a lot less than he thinks he is worth. He clearly was not worth a #8 pick first round but he was only defender that would put a hit on someone. More than we can expect from our pansie a$$ LB's.

Nix has made some good moves like getting rid of TE, but TE never should have started last year. Nix has made some questionable moves so far. Is Kelsey worth his contract? Is Fitz really the man? Drafting 3 CB's when we have Wilson and Byrd in the fold? Was the need for 3 CB's more than our need for a QB or a pass rusher or a Guard. After squandering last years opportunity to make the team better and questionable contract signings I still say the jury is still out on Nix. As refreshing as it is to hear Nix and Gailey with their straight forward approach, it has only resulted in more loses so it all sounds like guff to me.

Don't forget Poz as well.

According to Buddy, very high priority.

One of our LBs ended the longest QB starting streak of all-time...

Could be wrong, but pretty sure this was all Chan.

When has guard become a high priority but RT isn't?

Williams is a CB, yes. Byrd and Wilson play S. Not seeing where your going w/ this. Searcy plays S too.