Osama Apparently Dead

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. Why do we need Obama to tell us about it?

Good question.

Per NBC News he is apparently helping draft the remarks himself. :huh: (Yes, David Gregory basically stated that and no, I don't know why.)

The single most wanted man in the world for nearly 10 years and that the US has openly hunted is dead and you don't expect the US President to comment on it? Seriously?

The single most wanted man in the world for nearly 10 years and that the US has openly hunted is dead and you don't expect the US President to comment on it? Seriously?

Comment or preempt the news to give a speech?

Since he's pretty much just like every other politicians, yes I expect him to milk it for political capital, but I can get much more timely information from listening to the live news.

Yeah, why would the President speak about the most important event of the last ten years? :doh: Nice to know some people can't leave politics out of something for more than ten seconds.

PTR

You don't expect the commander in chief of the US military to give remarks about a US military operation that killed the most wanted man on earth?

Your stupidity is baffling KD.

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

Since he's pretty much just like every other politicians, yes I expect him to milk it for political capital, but I can get much more timely information from listening to the live news.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED?

You are an partisan ass, tis that simple.

Good question.

Per NBC News he is apparently helping draft the remarks himself. :huh: (Yes, David Gregory basically stated that and no, I don't know why.)

As are you.

Edited by Booster4324

This is a huge deal. It is awesome that asshat is dead, for anyone to make this about politics and be a partisan hack is beyond lame. I mean it is really !@#$ing pathetic. KD I had respect for you before this, now I think you are a !@#$ing idiot. Always thought Taro was an idiot...

This is a huge deal. It is awesome that asshat is dead, for anyone to make this about politics and be a partisan hack is beyond lame. I mean it is really !@#$ing pathetic. KD I had respect for you before this, now I think you are a !@#$ing idiot. Always thought Taro was an idiot...

Then CNN is beyond lame.Obama love fest on now. Election mentioned several times.

Then CNN is beyond lame.Obama love fest on now. Election mentioned several times.

Another partisan hack heard from. Just because CNN does it, it makes it okay for others? !@#$ing moron, I never had any respect for you unlike KD.

Edited by Booster4324

Yeah, why would the President speak about the most important event of the last ten years? :doh: Nice to know some people can't leave politics out of something for more than ten seconds.

PTR

These are the same people who would gripe about the Bills QB completion percentage, the day after they beat the Patriots! :lol:

Screw all the other stuff today.

Good job Navy Seals, Good job President Obama for making a tough call and getting it right.

Just poured myself a Sapphire and Tonic, and I am drinking to the victorious dead, and those who are still in the fight.

I suggest you all do the same. Or pray, or whatever it is you do.

It's a good day for all of us today.

EDIT: Apparently Osama was using women as human shields. What a coward. At least go out like a man. He couldn't even do that.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Good job Navy Seals, Good job President Obama for making a tough call and getting it right.

Just poured myself a Sapphire and Tonic, and I am drinking to the victorious dead, and those who are still in the fight.

EDIT: Apparently Osama was using women as human shields. What a coward. At least go out like a man. He couldn't even do that.

You and I completely agree. The Billa draft was good, and the grizzlies won. Call it a day, the world is ending.

OC... you and I have enjoyed sparring back and forth here a little. Thank you for that. And thank you for a post that is spot on.... job very well done by all involved. Let's all tip a drink to those that have sacrificed and worked to get this !@#$er.

Saw on the news.... the intelligence that got him started with the detainees and was tracked and verified for about 4-5 years. Amazing to think of all the work that went into this manhunt. Job well done indeed.

OC... you and I have enjoyed sparring back and forth here a little. Thank you for that. And thank you for a post that is spot on.... job very well done by all involved. Let's all tip a drink to those that have sacrificed and worked to get this !@#$er.

Saw on the news.... the intelligence that got him started with the detainees and was tracked and verified for about 4-5 years. Amazing to think of all the work that went into this manhunt. Job well done indeed.

Edit: I's been drinkin', but, this is a long post that I think is worth it.

The job is not done. I cannot believe there are idiots out there declaring victory in the "terror war". It is a dishonor to the dead. Mullah Omar is still alive. F_uck, Bin Dead's children are still alive, and we have every right to take them (and when I say take, I mean take as in deer) unless they swear off all malice towards us. Now is the time to put the Saudi's and Pakistani's(how you like us now mutherfuker?) balls in the grinder. We just took out their big excuse. Now it's time to collect on Gulf War I, the covert Afghan war in the 80s, and ignoring the Indians, after they have presented a mountain of evidence that Pak = Bad. In the immortal words of Henry Hill, "F you, pay me".

I have one question: did we stop fighting after Normandy? No, but we almost lost in the Battle of the Bulge, didn't we? Most people don't realize just how close we came to losing in Europe due to complacency and dependence on non-Americans to be as fierce and dedicated to finishing what we always end up finishing. Most people don't know that we could have ended the war in Eurpoe 10-12 months earlier, had we reasoned as Americans and not emoted as Europeans. Look up the Siegfried line, and how many Americans died...taking it twice. Most people don't know just how deadly we could be if we were held to the same standard the Russians are being held to in Chechnya

Nobody I worked with directly died, although it was a damn near thing for me. However, the guy that worked in the food court probably did. The Port Authority cop I saw every day after I got off the train from Philly probably did. Most importantly, many family/friends of my friends did. I have no family dead. If I did, then I wouldn't be doing what I am now. I would be working the the government intelligence business, rather than the business intelligence business.

And dare I say: without GITMO, there is no intelligence that gets O'Hide Behind Women.

That will be the story 2 months from now. And NOBODY should allow politics to have any effect on their opinion. We NEED to know if our methods work.

I went to a lot of funerals...as a peripheral figure. Having seen the pain from a distance, I get to enjoy our collective vengeance with zeal. Let's finish the job.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Only got a couple of hours sleep. This is unbelievably fantastic news. I'm happy that our country has finally killed this <explicative> and that the families of lost love ones relating to that tragic day can feel some sense of payback that this slug finally got got.

Just as we grieved as one almost ten years ago, let all Americans celebrate as one today... USA USA USA!!!!

Of course, now he's a martyr, and an even stronger symbol than he was alive. Dead, his message gains more resonance than it had when he was alive.

And they buried the body at sea...so there'll be issues proving he's dead anyway.

And we went into Pakistan without their permission or knowledge; that has serious implications w/r/t Southwest Asian and national security policy.

Still...SWEET!!!!!

Still...SWEET!!!!!

If you can't fight dirty, don't bother fighting at all. All glory and praise to those men who killed that son of a B word. I hope he died with a load of **** in his pants, cowering in a corner like the animal he was.

Let this send a clear message to our enemies. !@#$ with the bull, you get the horns.

If you can't fight dirty, don't bother fighting at all. All glory and praise to those men who killed that son of a B word. I hope he died with a load of **** in his pants, cowering in a corner like the animal he was.

Let this send a clear message to our enemies. !@#$ with the bull, you get the horns.

I like how it went down. No drone attack.

It's too bad they couldn't have taken him alive up for a helicopter ride and dropped him at a couple thousand feet.

Of course, now he's a martyr, and an even stronger symbol than he was alive. Dead, his message gains more resonance than it had when he was alive.

And they buried the body at sea...so there'll be issues proving he's dead anyway.

And we went into Pakistan without their permission or knowledge; that has serious implications w/r/t Southwest Asian and national security policy.

Still...SWEET!!!!!

Pakistani officials are saying it was a joint effort... Maybe it was with their permission, maybe not official though. News is still coming out. That being said DC as you probably immediately thought about... the memories of watching the Pentagon burn from the windows in the Capitol, the Twin Towers on TV and then receiving a call from my wife whose office was next to the Gannet buildings in Arlington, VA overlooking that side of the Pentagon telling me to get the hell out of there because another plane was in the air. It brings some relief. Not much on the revenge side of things. Just something that needed to get done! "Bout time.....

Edited by yellowlinesandarmadillos

Whatever.

I hadn't seen a thread about this here and didn't realize there was a thread about this over on the OTW board. If the mods want to delete this thread because there's one going on the other board, that's fine.

Very surprised at the way it went down, but think it's awesome. Per Obama, no drones and no US injuries. Again, cool.

Pakistani officials are saying it was a joint effort... Maybe it was with their permission, maybe not official though. News is still coming out.

First I've heard of Pakistani officials saying that...I suspect if they are it's to save face. We won't have those details for days or weeks, anyway.

That being said DC as you probably immediately thought about... the memories of watching the Pentagon burn from the windows in the Capitol, the Twin Towers on TV and then receiving a call from my wife whose office was next to the Gannet buildings in Arlington, VA overlooking that side of the Pentagon telling me to get the hell out of there because another plane was in the air. It brings some relief. Not much on the revenge side of things. Just something that needed to get done! "Bout time.....

That's probably why I'm feeling oddly sad by the news - not sad that the bastard's dead (mildly irritated that it was announced immediately - I always thought it made more sense to downplay it and say a year later "Oh, by the way, bin Laden's been dead for a year.") It's just dredging up too many memories that make the celebratory atmosphere uncomfortable to me.

My immediate thought, though, was "I must be dreaming". The clock-radio woke me out of a sound sleep with the news this morning. But my next thought, after it sunk in, really was the wider geopolitical and national security implications. Seriously. That's just how I roll. :wacko:

Hey--I'm happy to take you off ignore!

Above is exactly right. On 9/11, it was easy to set aside my dislike for Bush and today, it is easy to set aside my dislike for Obama. Obama made a tough call in taking his time pulling the trigger on getting this mission right. If Obama had waited too long, contacted the Pakastani gov't to approve the op., or anything else and Osama had gotten away, he'd have taken a LOAD of blame. He didn't, so today he gets some credit. Same with the intel people that did all the groundwork for the op.

And of course, the lion's share of the credit goes to Navy Seal Team 6. Heroes all.

Edited by Peace

What's interesting is there is word coming out that some of the intel that lead to this raid came from club-Gitmo. Through some tip offs to the nickname of Osama's loyal courrier and lieutenant the US was able to track him down and follow him. Eventually they were tipped off to the compound outside Islamabad. What is stunning is Bin Laden hiding in this compound outside the Pakistani capital. Who could Pakistan NOT know he was there? were they complacent?

The only thing that's a shame about this is they didn't slip a few strips of bacon in his pockets before throwing him overboard.

My beer tasted so good last night. I'm usually very critical of Obama but at least for a day everyone can put aside politics and unite for the common good. The world is a better place today and justice was served.

The war on terror isn't over but this was a big victory

Hey--I'm happy to take you off ignore!

Above is exactly right. On 9/11, it was easy to set aside my dislike for Bush and today, it is easy to set aside my dislike for Obama. Obama made a tough call in taking his time pulling the trigger on getting this mission right. If Obama had waited too long, contacted the Pakastani gov't to approve the op., or anything else and Osama had gotten away, he'd have taken a LOAD of blame. He didn't, so today he gets some credit.

And of course, the lion's share of the credit goes to Navy Seal Team 6. Heroes all.

youtube.com/watch?v=rHJoj9IqeKg

I truly doubt that, simply because if he'd done something to mess up this particular attempt at offing Osama, we wouldn't have heard about it. It would have simply been another evening w/ no news about bin Laden's death/capture.

Congrats definitely go out to the troops that (directly and indirectly) got this particular mission accomplished. It happened on Obama's watch, he'll also get credit for it appropriately.

I truly doubt that, simply because if he'd done something to mess up this particular attempt at offing Osama, we wouldn't have heard about it. It would have simply been another evening w/ no news about bin Laden's death/capture.

Congrats definitely go out to the troops that (directly and indirectly) got this particular mission accomplished. It happened on Obama's watch, he'll also get credit for it appropriately.

Maybe, but Clinton got blamed for missing OBL in a missile strike so sometimes the missed opportunities come out and the president takes the blame.

First I've heard of Pakistani officials saying that...I suspect if they are it's to save face. We won't have those details for days or weeks, anyway.

That's probably why I'm feeling oddly sad by the news - not sad that the bastard's dead (mildly irritated that it was announced immediately - I always thought it made more sense to downplay it and say a year later "Oh, by the way, bin Laden's been dead for a year.") It's just dredging up too many memories that make the celebratory atmosphere uncomfortable to me.

My immediate thought, though, was "I must be dreaming". The clock-radio woke me out of a sound sleep with the news this morning. But my next thought, after it sunk in, really was the wider geopolitical and national security implications. Seriously. That's just how I roll. :wacko:

I've read that the remaining helicopters --- two were apparently detonated on-scene, on purpose --- were engaged by Pakistani fighter jets as they were leaving. They weren't told about this mission because of tip-offs that have happened in the past, and so, they were responding to an airspace invasion. I won't be surprised by the Pakistan govt claiming foreknowledge to, as you said, save face. Also wouldn't be surprised by us backing up this claim. They've got to assure their people their military is capable (i.e. imagine that being Indian invasion team at, say, a nuclear site), and the U.S. can hardly afford to embarrass Pakistan, even as a one-off high-level catch like this.

That SEAL team was no doubt expecting to lose guys, either from OBL's people or from a somewhat "friendly-fire" incident. And it's a testament that these guys willingly and frequently accept this degree of risk.

It wasn't announced immediately, as such. He was killed last Monday. And yeah, as this sinks in, the feelings get complex, especially for those who were on-scene or knew someone who was killed on 9/11, the Embassy bombings, U.S.S. Cole, etc. Celebration like we saw last night is understandable, but it misses the mark a bit. It's not as if the GWOT is now magically over, like some cartoon where once the head bad guy is defeated, all of his toadies/henchmen go *poof* and disappear in smoke.

Edited by UConn James

Maybe, but Clinton got blamed for missing OBL in a missile strike so sometimes the missed opportunities come out and the president takes the blame.

Perhaps it could have shaken out that Obama could have caught flack had this particular attempt to get bin Laden not been successful, but I would have been very surprised.

It stands to reason that we've been close to getting him on several occassions over the past near decade. Other than the 'noose around him in Tora Bora' we haven't heard much about any of those missions. I don't see why this one would have been materially different than the other unsuccessful attempts to get him, had it not been successful.

Either way, Osama's gone on to his 72 Rosie O'Donnells and Obama and the rest of us should enjoy it right now and then get back to stay at work. There's still a lot to be done, but this was a good weekend.

Probably more unnecessarily than is justified. I'm sure Clinton and the military at the time was under a similar dread of a repeat of Carter sending forces into Iran, or what happened to him in Somalia. And at the time, they went with the less risk, but less-certain bombing.

This has been in planning since last September, when they learned the location of his hideout. And last Monday, Obama was also given the option of a drone attack, but chose the SEAL invasion. And at this point with what OBL has done, you'd think any president would choose an active assault and go in with the elite team and not go with a relatively passive attack and allow for another possibility of survival and escape.

Fantastic news! Let's hope the other shoe does not drop too hard.

Prisonplanet.com already has a half-dozen "it's a false-flag MK-Ultra chemtrail Bilderberger lie!" articles up. Alex Jones must be working serious overtime. :lol:

the more I think about this Pakistan has some SERIOUS questions they better answer. Bin Laden has been living in this massive lavish compound for years less than 100 yards from a Pakistani military academy. really?! Pakistan seriously claims they didnt know? pretty big coincidence that bin ladin was using the pakistani army as his body guard.

and secondly, I am very harsh and critical of Obama, but for once I think he made the right decision to not tell pakistan a thing about this raid even though it was on their own soil and just proceed with what was best for America. If he mentioned anything to Pakistan they would have tipped off Bin Laden and he would have been gone again.

nukes and all, Screw you Pakistan.