Any interest in trading for Flynn or Clausen?

Got to admit his tweets about Cutler kinda turned me off him. Then I admit, I haven't understood the interest previously expressed here about Gradkowski. He's never broken 55% as a passer in the pros, his career record is 6-14, and he's thrown more interceptions than TD. Is it his college reputation?

It is a point that under Chan, he might improve and in Tampa then Oakland, he may not have had much to work with.

I'd still rather have Moore or (believe it or don't) Seneca Wallace.

I agree, don't trade for a backup, look carefully at free agents.

Well, we are talking about trying to pick up a backup QB in a league starved for good QB play. It seems unlikely to me that you're going to find anyone available with impressive stats. But when I've seen Gradkowski I've gotten the impression of a guy who knows how to run a pro-level offense, unlike, say, Brohm or Edwards. That's crucial for a backup QB, who's will probably need to come in cold in a game situation that already saw one QB taken out. That's completely subjective, of course. I haven't seen enough of Moore to say if he has that quality. I think Gradkowski does, and I don't think Wallace does. On the other hand, Holmgren thought enough of Wallace to have him as backup on two different teams.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to admit his tweets about Cutler kinda turned me off him. Then I admit, I haven't understood the interest previously expressed here about Gradkowski. He's never broken 55% as a passer in the pros, his career record is 6-14, and he's thrown more interceptions than TD. Is it his college reputation?

It is a point that under Chan, he might improve and in Tampa then Oakland, he may not have had much to work with.

I'd still rather have Moore or (believe it or don't) Seneca Wallace.

I agree, don't trade for a backup, look carefully at free agents.

Hmmm, can you help me understand this viewpoint? Brohm looked like a deer in the headlights, when Brown came in at the very end of the Jets blowout, I thought he didn't look hopeless. Even the announcers commented "that was a good pass!".

That's also the only time we've seen him 3 passes and 2 completions. Not much data. Are we sure he's worse than the Chicago backup situation? The Colts backup situation? Absolutely every other backup situation?

Reminds me of people last year saying "we have THE worst starting QB in the league" about Fitz and similar stuff. Um, no.

Don't get me wrong, not saying at all we shouldn't try to improve our backup through FA. Not sure it's the worst though I'm willing to be persuaded by data?

Ummmmmm...maybe because brohm isn't on our team? And Levi Brown was cut...not picked up by anyone, and his only experience was scrap time. Believe what you want buddy, but we don't really have a #2. We have Fitz and a bum. I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. Levi Brown is THE worst #2 in the league. But I'm willing to be persuaded by data....

Why is everyone lookins at this as the Bills having to get just a #2 QB? The team should be looking to improve what they have and should be striving to find a guy who can eventually overtake/replace Fitzpatrick, not just someone satisfied with sitting behind him, thats how you stay mediocre. No one is saying Clausen is a sure thing, but out of guys that may be available, he may have the best chance in FA/trade market to find a QB who can lead this team for the next decade.

In limited playing time he struggled to light it up on the leagues worst team? I'm shocked!

As someone already said, we could have drafted Claussen twice and chose not to. So, the FO was not sold on him. Would they have drafted him in the third? Maybe, but who knows. I mean I thought there was no way we would pass on Mallet if he managed to slip into the 3rd and we did just that, so who knows, we may very well would have passed on Claussen again if he was there in the 3rd.

We definitely do need a QB to develop to replace Fitz...Chan, Nix, etc have all said this as well. But, I don't see them willing to part with any significant draft picks for a guy who they didn't want when he was full of a potential and now has had a very poor showing in the NFL and seen the team that used a 2nd on him turn around and use the first overall pick on another QB a year later.

At the same time, lets be real here. One partial season by a rookie QB on a bad team is no where near close to being enough information to decide this kids future development. Cam was not only a QB but a fan and media draw for a franchise that desperately needs that as well as a QB to emerge. Anyone who declares Claussen a bust is flat out foolish. I am not saying the kid is this or that, but to talk in absolutes at this point of his career is foolish.

So, if Car was willing to part with Claussen for a 4th or lower, then I can see the Bills maybe kicking the tires on acquiring him to see if Chan can develop him into a starter, or at the very least a solid backup QB as we dont have one of those either.

But in all honesty, Newton is a big hit or miss type prospect, so I don't think Car is going to be anxious to move Claussen this year until they get a better feel for both QB's.

Has anybody considered VY? We wont have to trade for him....

PS I could honeslty see Chan wanting to go after him, seeing as how they love any mobile QB available.

I think that they love guys who put their all into playing and preparing more than they love mobile

QBs. Vince Young has proven that he isn't a leader and doesn't want to prepare to succeed. He does

have "elite" physical skills, but that wasn't enough to convince Tennessee to keep him. I can't think

of any other QB who had great physical skills, but didn't work hard on preparation, who succeeded

in another location after failing at his first stop. Maybe I am missing a few guys who did?

Ummmmmm...maybe because brohm isn't on our team? And Levi Brown was cut...not picked up by anyone, and his only experience was scrap time. Believe what you want buddy, but we don't really have a #2. We have Fitz and a bum. I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. Levi Brown is THE worst #2 in the league. But I'm willing to be persuaded by data....

I don't get the Brohm not on our team comment. The claim to be supported is THE worst #2 in the league. Brohm is as much in the league as any FA at this point.

From what I gather, you assert Brown is the worst QB in the league because

1) when he was cut for the practice squad as a rookie, no one else picked him up. That would put him in company with a bunch of other young late-round draftees, some of which have gone on to become #2, so what's worst about that?

2) he has only played a little bit in garbage time. That would also put him in company with a whole bunch of other young late-round draftees. What's worst about that either.

Let's get real here. Who would you rather have as #2? Maybe I'll start a poll :devil:

I'd give a 5-7 for clausen for sure. 6-7 for flynn.

Just because we didn't draft clausen in Rd 1 or 2 last year doesnt mean we weren't interested in him. Just because he sucked last year, doesn't mean he will suck for his entire career. We need a backup. If we don't pick one up on FA, we need to acquire one. If Levi brown was the qb playing for Carolina last year, I'm pretty sure we'd be saying we don't want him on our team this year. Clausen is the better qb, and if it only costs us a low pick to acquire a QB that actually has a chance to be a solid starter, pull the trigger. If you hate clausen, fine with me. But don't dare say Levi is a better option for our #2 qb than clausen. Haters will be haters. Right now, we have THE worst backup QB in the league, and it's not even close.

Not a big Clausen fan but it's not fair to judge him off last year, regardless of how one feels about him.

Flynn? Green Bay loves the guy and he almost beat the Cheatriots last year in a fine performance. NO WAY they let him go cheaply.The cost wouldn't approach Kevin Kolb, Rob Johnson, territory…but no way a 6th or 7th.

Has anybody considered VY? We wont have to trade for him....

PS I could honeslty see Chan wanting to go after him, seeing as how they love any mobile QB available.

It IS a foregone conclusion that VY will not return to the Titans…Head Coach Mike Munchak has publicly stated that.

But he's still under contract and it's not a foregone conclusion that he'll be released. It's very possible that a trade market will develop for him.

He was selected to replace Phillip Rivers in the 2009 Pro Bowl. I think it's likely that more than a few teams would be interested in acquiring him.

Well, we are talking about trying to pick up a backup QB in a league starved for good QB play. It seems unlikely to me that you're going to find anyone available with impressive stats.

True enough. There's typically a name for a consistent QB with good stats: "NFL starter"

But when I've seen Gradkowski I've gotten the impression of a guy who knows how to run a pro-level offense, unlike, say, Brohm or Edwards. That's crucial for a backup QB, who's will probably need to come in cold in a game situation that already saw one QB taken out. That's completely subjective, of course. I haven't seen enough of Moore to say if he has that quality. I think Gradkowski does, and I don't think Wallace does. On the other hand, Holmgren thought enough of Wallace to have him as backup on two different teams.

Yeah, where I think my gap is, I haven't seen Gradkowski. From what you and others say, he must be a guy who plays better than his stats.

Wallace has better stats: Career 29 TD, 16 INT, career QB rating 84. In the 4 games he started for Cleveland last year, he was 63.4% completions, 4 TD, 2 INTs, QB rating 88.5. (!!!)

He's one of the few FA potential backups that statisically, is significantly better than Fitz. He's also shorter and smaller: 5' 11 and 190 lbs. I'm not sure how he manages to see the receivers, but he does.

I've seen him play twice, and you could see the intensity radiating off of him. He has that "it" factor.

But, I just looked it up and Wallace is officially a "moot point". Rotoworld reports: 3/3/2011: Signed a three-year, $9 million contract. The deal contains an undisclosed incentives package. 2011-2013: Under Contract, 2014: Free Agent

Delhomme reportedly signed a 2 year contract, reportedly worth $7 million last year alone and $5.4 million this year. There is speculation the Browns will release Delhomme, but will they still have to pay him, in which case why not keep him?

Moore is a hot-again, cold-again guy. He had a great year in 2009 - again, far better stats than Fitz. Last year he fell apart - was it him, or were the Panthers just a QB-munching black hole last year? He's not a silver-spoon kinda guy - UDFA, worked hard for his opportunities. He has experience and an overall winning record. If the Panthers let him go with both Clausen and Newton to feed, I'd sure like to see the Bills give him a shot as long as it doesn't create the dreaded "quarterback controversy".

If a backup is what the Bills want I think someone like Gradkowski, Tavaris Jackson, Alex Smith, or maybe even Chan's last project Tyler Thigpen could be worth a shot. Why not?

All worth a look as backups. Gradkowski is probably available. Tarvaris Jackson may be available although rumor (Dilfer) has him going to the Seasnakes to play under new OC Bevell, the Vike's OC when Tarvaris was drafted.

SF is so confident Smith is coming back that they gave him a playbook - I'd say that equals "not available". Thigpen has been tendered by the Dolphins, so they may bid to keep him.

I'd still like to see Moore, just me. I'd like Seneca Wallace even more but apparently he resigned with Cle just b4 the CBA expired.

Clausen for a 5, Matt Flynn (WHO?) NO WAY!

Matt Flynn no worries, no way GB will let their quality backup guy go. They all have 4 bare fingers.

Clausen is worse than Brady Quinn. He's flat out terrible and makes JP Losman look like a pro bowler.

And the price tag on Flynn would be too high. But the guy has potential. I think Dennis Dixon and Tyler Thigpen would be interesting opinions.

Both would be good to have as backups that could learn under Fitz BUT you can't give up anything greater than a 5th round pick. Both seem like projects but you have a need for a backup QB so having a young hungry QB behind Fitz wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Trent Edwards is likely to be available :ph34r:

So is JP Losman....

The Bills need an experienced BACK UP, not some 1-2 year guy still learning his job. Imagine the Bills suddenly becoming good enough to make a run for the playoffs and Fitz gets knocked out for a few games. Tyler Thigpin RFA-Chad pennington UFRA

My only interest in wanker-punk Jimmy Clausen is, as an amateur ornithologist, finding a common link between Clausen and the emu...

There's a fairly large and vocal group of Bills fans who believe that Clausen looks more like a juvenile ostrich. This was during your hiatus leading up to the draft.

I tried to defend your position but I think they have a good point.

Nowhere in this thread was there a love affair with Clausen. I simply asked if we had any interest in him should he become available, since Buddy and Chan said they planned to add a QB to the roster and the pickings in UFA seem pretty slim unless you want to bring back JP or Trent.

If I read your initial posting you asked if any of us thought we should trade for little jimmy ...

My note of the love affair with Claussen had nothing to do with you but with the many posters last year who were screaming first that we should take Claussen and then what an awful mistake that we didn't ...

He was a spoiled brat kid who made it to ND but doesn't have the skill set to make it in the pro's ... and likewise Flynn is not worth giving up anything.

If either of these guys are out there on the free agent market at minimum salary levels they might be worth looking at but there is no way we should give up anything ... I agree with the other poster, you'd have to give the Bills something to take Claussen off Carolina's hands.