how you like our D now?

Pete

We should dial back our expectations for Jasper. We had another man-beast NT named Lonnie Harvey last year. I don't think he's around anymore. It's a pretty long shot for Jasper to make this team, even just the PS. I'm rooting for him, though.

PTR

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be so sure. I realize there is a lot of time left between now and next season, but I have no reason to believe that the Bills will be any better than 2010, therefore they will be drafting at or near the top of the draft again.

I have to disagree. With the defensive coaching being [greatly] improved and the first two picks likely to step in and make an impact this season, I expect the defense be be noticeably better. If "lights out" can actually manage to make it on to the field and turn out a few lights this season even better. The absence of solid linebackers should be exploited however, and with the offense still being weak I don't expect a huge improvement in the teams overall record. But I do not expect them, particularly the defense, to be an embarrassment either.

Lets face it, the team has been decimated by the decade of suck + 1, one draft is not going to fix that. But this draft finally has me thinking they may be headed in the right direction. Lets hope for more of the same in the upcoming years.

Edited by CodeMonkey

No doubt he does. The only potential problem is if Edwards still considers himself DC. They should just release the guy. WHat good is the current situation?

I agree. The irony of the whole situation is that Edwards is an ex-LB coach of 4 different teams. So, if anything, he should be considered an expert at coaching LBs. The Bills weakest link last year were their LBs (red flag anyone?). So, what do the Bills do? The Bills go out and hire another LB coach who's an expert at being a DC coordinator. Anyone see anything funny with this situation?

Sounds better on paper. We'll see what happens come September (hopefully).

I expect it to be better with the new guys and the help of Dave Wannabee. I hope is really our closet DC and not just a ILB coach.

Detroit took Suh last year, who is a beast, and the run game did not improve.

Its going to take more than a bunch of rookies to fix the D.

Don't be so sure. I realize there is a lot of time left between now and next season, but I have no reason to believe that the Bills will be any better than 2010, therefore they will be drafting at or near the top of the draft again.

Or Luck may fall. Assuming he's going to have another great year is misguided. Brohm was "the man" after his junior year.

It was really foolish of Luck not to come out this year when he was the certain #1 pick. Carolina even has a decent O-line he could have been behind.

AS for the OP question: We didn't add an OLB, which was the weakest position on the team.

If Merriman/Moats/Kelsay/Maybin... add up to two decent OLB we'll be fine. That's big IF though.

Batten is an ILB, right?

If we switch back to a 4-3 we're looking better. Poz could move outside in that scheme, and Kelsay would stay at DE.

Heres how I see it looking, in loose order (please forgive not cleaning up every c+p): Day 1 Starters in Bold

NT Troup, Torell

DE/NT Marcell Dareus

DE/NT Williams, Kyle

DE Edwards, Dwan

DE Carrington, Alex

DE Johnson, Spencer (Spec Teams)

OLB Merriman, Shawne

OLB Moats, Arthur

OLB Batten, Danny

OLB Coleman, Antonio (Spec Teams)

OLB Kirlew, Jammie (Spec Teams)

ILB Posluszny, Paul

ILB Kelvin Sheppard

ILB Davis, Andra

ILB Torbor, Reggie

ILB Chris White (Spec Teams)

CB Florence, Drayton

CB McKelvin , Leodis

CB Aaron Williams

CB Corner, Reggie (Spec Teams)

CB McGee, Terrence

CB Justin Rogers (Spec Teams)

FS Byrd, Jairus

FS Wilson, George (Spec Teams)

SS Whitner, Donte

SS Da'Norris Searcy (Spec Teams)

SS Scott, Bryan (Spec Teams)

Practice Squad:

NT Michael Jasper

DT Heard, Kellen

Cut:

33 Corto, Jon S 6-1 220 26 3 Sacred Heart

97 McCargo, John DE 6-2 307 27 5 NC State

90 Kelsay, Chris LB 6-4 261 31 8 Nebraska

50 Ayodele, Akin LB 6-2 245 31 9 Purdue

58 Maybin, Aaron LB 6-4 250 23 2 Penn State

Edited by DrDareustein

Or Luck may fall. Assuming he's going to have another great year is misguided. Brohm was "the man" after his junior year.

It was really foolish of Luck not to come out this year when he was the certain #1 pick. Carolina even has a decent O-line he could have been behind.

AS for the OP question: We didn't add an OLB, which was the weakest position on the team.

If Merriman/Moats/Kelsay/Maybin... add up to two decent OLB we'll be fine. That's big IF though.

Batten is an ILB, right?

If we switch back to a 4-3 we're looking better. Poz could move outside in that scheme, and Kelsay would stay at DE.

I think the biggest factor this year will be Merriman. We will need him to rush the passer this year, if he can't recover his game we'll have a down year. I hope with Dareus and Williams hopefully he'll see a lot of single blockers and he'll need to make it count.

Some good points made here from both sides of the aisle. I believe they drafted for size and got it. I hope Dareus has a Ray Lewis mentality throughout his career, instead of what happened with the former TE, then LT, who got a big head and his performance declined. "He who must not be named" will never reach his potential. But Marcell has a chance to be a great one for the Bills for a long time.

I can't say this was a great draft, but at least it doesn't smell bad as of today. Williams (OL), McCargo and Maybin had an odor from day one. So maybe it will turn out to be a good draft. Let's hope. But don't expect too much from our new rookies.

I would have liked to see more additions to the front seven on defense, but maybe a couple of the BDs will end up being fitures on this team. I sure hope the Bills will find a way to get a decent pass-catching tight end and another defensive end who can rush the passer before the season starts (via whatever method).

Regarding next season, I believe they will do better because...

1. This is the team's second season with the Chan and Company system.

2. Our young offensive linemen are maturing.

3. We are bound to win a couple of additional games compared to the record number that we let slip away last year.

Detroit took Suh last year, who is a beast, and the run game did not improve.

Its going to take more than a bunch of rookies to fix the D.

det could have really addressed their def with picking up a couple lb's after taking fairley. we added a great dt to add to an all pro along with troupe and carrington who we took last year. so we really started addressing our run def last year and may have just added the biggest piece this year. merriman is the big if on our def this coming this year.

Our D looks markedly improved-undeniable statement. I will wait for game 4 of the regular season to change "looks" to "is". Dareus will be good, very good. Williams will have his struggles and the rest of the newcomers will make their mark at times throughout the season. No matter the impact of Dareus, I would have to be the utmost of optimists to guarantee major improvement. I'm a wishy-washy "glass has some stuff in it" type though. It ain't half full and it's got too much in it to be half empty.

I really do like the DL, especially if Troup and Carrington show major improvement this year & Dwan Edwards can stay healthy. Like everyone else, can't wait to see Dareus play (and play a majority of all snaps, of course)

LBs still look like a mess. IF Merriman can come back somewhat and IF Moats can continue to develop and IF Sheppard can start... you've still got friggin Pos and Kelsay.:thumbdown: Find adequate replacements for them in FA, and MAYBE things will look better.

As for the DBs, I'm still hopeful that McKelvin will finally break through. Hope McGee stays healthy too, and that A. Williams gets some serious playing time. Florence can come back if the price is right. Here's to Byrd getting past the sophomore slump & making some plays, and dumping Lil' Donte should be addition by subtraction.

Not a big Wanny fan at all, but that's mostly as HC. As asst HC working with the D, I expect him to help quite a bit, just please keep him away from the main gig.

I like our LB's a bit more than you. I thought that Antonio Coleman looked good until he was injured. Same with Batten. Moats has some pop to his game. We get Reggie Torbor back from injury. We add a healthy Merriman who has something to prove, and Poz with his tacklemania. Andra Davis is the old guy at age 32, with Kelsay at 31. I like this bunch.

How does our D look now? If you just want to look at the positions drafted, they look a lot better. If it turns out that none of these guys can contribute next year, they will look a lot like last year.

That being said, it would be shocking if Dareus doesn't start all 16 games and is a dramatic improvement over Stroud, Edwards, etc...

I think our D line is a force now.

D Lineman - Kyle Williams,Dareus,Edwards, Carrington, Troup, Johnson, Kelsey

Frankly I'm comfortable with any combination of those. All solid players and Williams and Dareus are play makers

LB - Merriman, Moats, Poz, Sheppard, Davis, Torbor, Ayodel, Batten,Elison, Coleman, Maybin

We are getting bigger and there is a good depth here. All are at least solid. It could be tough to make the roster this year for Elison and Maybin

CB - Mcgee, Williams, Florence, Mclovin, Corner,Rodgers

We will need to add someone in FA most likely but still a good group if they saty healthy

S- Byrd, Searcy, Wilson, Scott, Whitner

Byrd hopefully returns to his ball hawk form, Wilson and scott are solid players. Searcy looks a good pick and If we can get whitner back if would add depth and versatility

We are getting bigger and have depth for the first time in years. Ya I'm excited

I yearn for the defense we had in the late 90's (especially 1999) when NOBODY and I mean NOBODY ran on us successfully!

Defense is what made the Bills a play-off team in the late 90's. If the Bills can stop the run this season, look fo us to win a lot of games! :beer: