how you like our D now?

Pete

Our D is not fixed but it's vastly improved. It will take another draft or two before we can be stocked. We have gotten a HUGE infusion of quality D talent. Last years picks will progress with a year under their belts.

We are on our way gentlemen and gentle ladies. There is a plan. Nix, Whaley and Gailey know what the hell they are doing.

unfortunately that means we have to do bad to get a franchise QB and with the new D that might not happen. I love Dareus and think he will be a perennial all pro but we may have missed a huge chance if Gabbert is that guy. As much as it kills me, the way we are building this team, we need to tank to get a franchise guy. Unless we pull an Atlanta which Nix does not like to give up picks our only choice is to loose. :( :( :(

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately that means we have to do bad to get a franchise QB and with the new D that might not happen. I love Dareus and think he will be a perennial all pro but we may have missed a huge chance if Gabbert is that guy. As much as it kills me, the way we are building this team, we need to tank to get a franchise guy. Unless we pull an Atlanta which Nix does not like to give up picks our only choice is to loose. :( :( :(

In the foreseeable future the ONLY qb i would be ok with us giving up many draft picks for is Andrew Luck. I want Luck on our team in a big way. If we had blown our picks this draft then perhaps we'd be well on our way to getting him. But then our D would suck after drafting our franchise qb. We can't get everything we wish for. I'm glad we got great D talent which we needed in a big way. This doesn't necessarily negate our chance to get a franchise qb next year tho. Just keep adding studs to our roster and in the meantime be aware and awake to adding that one big missing piece (long term franchise qb) when the time is right. No guarantee we'll get him right away, but even if we don't, at least we'll have a stud defense and other quality players. I get the feeling i'm rambling.

guys, we DID get a franchise guy in Marcel!!! If Fitz can become a top 15 QB, which I think he can, we will be in fine shape if the rest of our team gets stronger. You never know whats going to happen with franchise QBs. You can get one in the mid first round too, look at last years superbowl, Rodgers was in the 20s and i think Big Ben was ten or eleven. Sanchez isnt peyton and look how well the jets have done. I think this team can become a playoff team with Fitz in the short term (2 or three years) and just add a mid to late first or second rounder in coming years.

guys, we DID get a franchise guy in Marcel!!! If Fitz can become a top 15 QB, which I think he can, we will be in fine shape if the rest of our team gets stronger. You never know whats going to happen with franchise QBs. You can get one in the mid first round too, look at last years superbowl, Rodgers was in the 20s and i think Big Ben was ten or eleven. Sanchez isnt peyton and look how well the jets have done. I think this team can become a playoff team with Fitz in the short term (2 or three years) and just add a mid to late first or second rounder in coming years.

Hope you are right, can't take anymore losing.

Don't be so sure. I realize there is a lot of time left between now and next season, but I have no reason to believe that the Bills will be any better than 2010, therefore they will be drafting at or near the top of the draft again.

None? Went 4-4 in the 2nd half with a horrible D and a much improved O. I expect improvement on both sides of the ball next season.

you are a glass is half full typem aren't you? I get more joy for draft day then any other time of football season. It is a time of hope and optimism. And I especially like this draft and how we focused on D

Pete, I think you got that backwards. A pessimist would say their glass is half empty, it's the optimist who says their glass is half full.

Yet, your point wasn't missed. I too will be hopeful that these "new" Bills will be able to play, and contribute. I also hope that last years picks, Troup, Carrington, and especially Spiller will bring much needed contributions as well. I don't like our QB situation, but for some years with Fergy, and 11 years with Jim Kelly, we had a QB of stature and talent. We're long overdue another big time QB. Until then, Fitz is our guy and here's to a successful 2011 (if the idiot owners and players can decide the game is what is important).

Edited by Spiderweb

Don't be so sure. I realize there is a lot of time left between now and next season, but I have no reason to believe that the Bills will be any better than 2010, therefore they will be drafting at or near the top of the draft again.

Sure, I mean why would drafting the consensus #1 defensive lineman in the country give you ANY reason to believe your team would be any better. Nahhh. He'll probably make us WORSE right?

start the matt barkley bus now.

but yah i agree we will not be in the top 8 picks

Why? The corner and safety draft picks are just rookie replacements for Whitner and Florence, both free agents who are leaving in all likelihood. No upgrade there. Probably a downgrade for next year as the new starters are last years backups or rookies. The LB and RB picks are replacements for Lynch and the older FA ILBs we picked up.

The only upgrade is Dareus, who should be a beast at RDE. But the offense is the same/somewhat improved from last year version. However, injuries will occur, our OL and DL depth is lousy and we play the NFC East and AFC West this year, plus NE and Jets twice. There's 8 to 10 losses right there (Pats and Jets twice (4), KC (5), SD (6), Giants (7), Eagles (8) , Cowboys (9)). Maybe split with the Phins and lose a couple others and you are 4-12 again. This is pretty much the same team as last year, talent wise, outside of Dareus, who should be great. One guy is not turning this team around. The later draft picks (the little Richmond kid and the 400lb guy) probably get cut or maybe play special teams/practice squad only. Gonna be a while before this team is any good. AFC East opponents will be much better this year. Pats, Jets are head and shoulders above the Bills. PHins will go get Kevin Kolb and be instantly 4-5 wins better.

Sure, I mean why would drafting the consensus #1 defensive lineman in the country give you ANY reason to believe your team would be any better. Nahhh. He'll probably make us WORSE right?

Exactly. And even if they don't improve and go 4-12 again they still won't be in play for Luck. This D is going to have a whole new identity and won't get pushed down the field as much, plus and another season of Fitz/Chan will only help the O as well. IMO, the only way they take a step back is if Fitz gets a long term injury early in the year. I don't think Levi and some TBD third QB are going to be able to hold the fort down for an extended period.

This team will not be in play for Luck. No chance.

Actually, through no fault of the Bills specifically, there is a very reasonable chance to land Andrew Luck. It will take another year of TRUE suckitude -again, through no fault of the Bills specifically:

This lockout/legal challenge to the core priniciples of the game could take so long to resolve as to wipe out the entire season. If so, next years' draft line up will be duplicated. Carolina has their QB -with no chance to FAIL, Denver has Tebow + others, so guess who steps up the podium with Andrew Luck on their card...

If this monsterous legal battle is resolved with any real time left for a shortened season this year, THAT'S the day we run out of luck for Luck.

I love it! I bet Wanny does too

I am glad that you brought up Wanny. When I think of our run D last year, not all but most of the big run plays came when we were forced to go Nickel due to the offensive personnel. I think that it is telling what Nix/Gailey said repeatedly in terms of how alot of these guys fit in our Nickel package in terms of run defense. Our 2nd round pick has Nickel back written all over him. Our 4 man front in the Nickel should be formidable against the run this year. Who catches my drift? Darius and Williams will demand 3 to 4 blockers when playing the 4 man front together.

Edited by RealityCheck

i wonder how much input Wanny had on these defensive picks being that gailey is mostly an offensive guy..

I suspected Wanny had a big part of the draft myself. I was a little shocked we didn't draft Romeus or Sheard- but Wanny would know. Defense wins and I am excited to see the game plan with our new defensive talent

I am glad that you brought up Wanny. When I think of our run D last year, not all but most of the big run plays came when we were forced to go Nickel due to the offensive personnel. I think that it is telling what Nix/Gailey said repeatedly in terms of how alot of these guys fit in our Nickel package in terms of run defense. Our 2nd round pick has Nickel back written all over him. Our 4 man front in the Nickel should be formidable against the run this year. Who catches my drift? Darius and Williams will demand 3 to 4 blockers when playing the 4 man front together.

:thumbsup:

If someone can project what the starting 3-4 and 4-3 units will look like now I'd could get a better feel for the OP's question.

For instance does Darius man the nose or Williams in the 3-4? Who is manning the ends in both schemes? What are the starting LB's and DB's now?

It just looks like the whole D will look different. (Which is a good thing) :thumbsup:

not to say that this is right...but it is what i envision and like to see:

in the 3-4:(i know kyle played the nose tackle position great last year, but i see his strenth as pentrating the line and getting to the qb...not so much as a middle clogging, unmoveable force)

Kyle Williams/Troupe&(400lb new guy)/Dareus

(Dwan Edwards and Carrington subbing in)- that is nice depth!

Merriman-Poz-Moats-Batten-Shepard (not in that order...but it looks improved)

backfield? (depends who is resigned or not.......but you can bank on mcgee(if healthy),mckelvin,williams, and byrd being back there.

Actually, through no fault of the Bills specifically, there is a very reasonable chance to land Andrew Luck. It will take another year of TRUE suckitude -again, through no fault of the Bills specifically:

This lockout/legal challenge to the core priniciples of the game could take so long to resolve as to wipe out the entire season. If so, next years' draft line up will be duplicated. Carolina has their QB -with no chance to FAIL, Denver has Tebow + others, so guess who steps up the podium with Andrew Luck on their card...

If this monsterous legal battle is resolved with any real time left for a shortened season this year, THAT'S the day we run out of luck for Luck.

If there isn't a season, I thought next year's draft would be a weighted lottery of sorts not an exact replica?