Christian Ponder @#34

1B4IDie

I see a lot of Kaepernick and Dalton talk but people have seemed to forget about Ponder.

Ponder has said Georgia Tech was his second choice and that Chan Gailey recruited him very hard.

Chan put Ponder in for two shifts in the Senior Bowl.

Chan knows everything he needs to know about the guy.

Ponder showed good accuracy and decision in making in college. I never got a chance to see a full game (I find ACC football to be a farce)

He does seem to have a bit of a noodle arm but that may be because he is coming off of injury.

If I hear Ponders name at #34 I wouldnt be suprised at all.

If we trade down and get a second second round pick I think that will be Ponder.

Anyone watch the kid play?

I see a lot of Kaepernick and Dalton talk but people have seemed to forget about Ponder.

Ponder has said Georgia Tech was his second choice and that Chan Gailey recruited him very hard.

Ponder showed good accuracy and decision in making in college. I never got a chance to see a full game (I find ACC football to be a farce)

He does seem to have a bit of a noodle arm but that may be because he is coming off of injury.

If we trade down and get a second second round pick I think that will be Ponder.

A lot of rumors that the Broncos want to trade back into the end of the first round for Ponder. Google Broncos and Ponder to read them all. Odds are that some team is going to do this to make sure they get him.

My thought is this...what are the chances that Ponder has that much of a better upside than what we have in Fitzpatrick right now? I think the best of Ponder is Fitzpatrick's 2010 season. So I don't see a point in the Bills drafting anyone but Newton or a guy that has decent potential in the 4th or beyond.

A lot of rumors that the Broncos want to trade back into the end of the first round for Ponder. Google Broncos and Ponder to read them all. Odds are that some team is going to do this to make sure they get him.

My thought is this...what are the chances that Ponder has that much of a better upside than what we have in Fitzpatrick right now? I think the best of Ponder is Fitzpatrick's 2010 season. So I don't see a point in the Bills drafting anyone but Newton or a guy that has decent potential in the 4th or beyond.

I don't like what I've seen from Ponder on the field. I also don't like the fact that he's already had 3 arm surgeries. As a 3rd or 4th Round guy? Maybe, but I don't think he's gonna be anything more than a career backup or a game manager which we already have in Fitz.

Denver has a #36 and #46. One scenario has us giving Denver our #34 for their #36 so they can draft ahead of Cincy. We get their RD3 pick and we then have 2 straight picks, #67 and #68:

Combining this with my tradedown with SF for their #7 pick (also so SF can leapfrog Cincy in RD1) gives us this sim:

1 7 Buffalo Nick Fairley DE34 Auburn

2 34 Buff Chris. Ponder QB Florida State

2 45 Buffalo Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

3 67 Buffalo D.J. Williams TE Arkansas

3 68 Buffalo Jerrell Powe DT34 Mississippi

4 100 Buffalo Casey Matthews ILB Oregon

4 108 Buffalo Virgil Green TE Nevada

4 122 Buffalo Pernell McPhee DE34 Mississippi State

5 133 Buffalo Derek Hall RT Stanford

6 169 Buffalo Brandon Hogan CB West Virginia

7 206 Buffalo Terrell McClain DT43 South Florida

7 245 Buffalo Jaiquawn JarrettFS Temple

Denver has a #36 and #46. One scenario has us giving Denver our #34 for their #36 so they can draft ahead of Cincy. We get their RD3 pick and we then have 2 straight picks, #67 and #68:

Combining this with my tradedown with SF for their #7 pick (also so SF can leapfrog Cincy in RD1) gives us this sim:

1 7 Buffalo Nick Fairley DE34 Auburn

2 34 Buff Chris. Ponder QB Florida State

2 45 Buffalo Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

3 67 Buffalo D.J. Williams TE Arkansas

3 68 Buffalo Jerrell Powe DT34 Mississippi

4 100 Buffalo Casey Matthews ILB Oregon

4 108 Buffalo Virgil Green TE Nevada

4 122 Buffalo Pernell McPhee DE34 Mississippi State

5 133 Buffalo Derek Hall RT Stanford

6 169 Buffalo Brandon Hogan CB West Virginia

7 206 Buffalo Terrell McClain DT43 South Florida

7 245 Buffalo Jaiquawn JarrettFS Temple

Still no Dial! ;)

Yes, I watched enough of him and I'll probably vomit if we select him! Him and his noodle arm...He is essentially a checkdown QB who does not sense pressure of opposing defense's until it's too late, that is why he is often injured during the games that he is healthy enough to play! When comparing the upcoming draft class to present NFL players I have seen in more than one publication that C. Ponder is comparable to Trent Edwards regarding his skill set, tendancies, and proneness for injury. The other difference is that C. Ponder is not as intelligent as Trent Edwards and was one of the lower scoring QB's in this draft class which leaves him potentially with a lesser upside than Trent Edwards considering the complexities of the NFL Playbook! And your specific reason for wanting the Bills to spend their 2nd round pick on Ponder is ??????

And your specific reason for wanting the Bills to spend their 2nd round pick on Ponder is ??????

same reason 97% of the players on this board get mentioned. "Hey, I have heard that name before! We gotta have that guy! Draft/Trade Entire Franchise for/Sign to largest free agent contract ever! Get Er Done"

How can you read my post and interpret that as advocating?

This is an adult conversation where you discuss all options.

Way to go Jeremy2020 chiming in with stupid on top of stupid, atleast add some interesting information like Tony did.

Interesting so Ponder's not the highly regarded.

Yes, I watched enough of him and I'll probably vomit if we select him! Him and his noodle arm...He is essentially a checkdown QB who does not sense pressure of opposing defense's until it's too late, that is why he is often injured during the games that he is healthy enough to play! When comparing the upcoming draft class to present NFL players I have seen in more than one publication that C. Ponder is comparable to Trent Edwards regarding his skill set, tendancies, and proneness for injury. The other difference is that C. Ponder is not as intelligent as Trent Edwards and was one of the lower scoring QB's in this draft class which leaves him potentially with a lesser upside than Trent Edwards considering the complexities of the NFL Playbook! And your specific reason for wanting the Bills to spend their 2nd round pick on Ponder is ??????

Ponder is dumb? The guy got his undergrad degree in 2.5 years while playing Div 1 football and already has

his MBA. That doesn't sound dumb to me.

Just go and see the resume of each player - win loss record , comp. percentage , TD to INT ratio , Attempts & comp. , GPA & injuries . Also check there progression over the time they were in college .

If you do all of that you can get a real good grasp on what you will be getting , by those things i"ve given weather the coach knows one better than the other or not i would think that Ponder may be a good get in a later round 3rd or lower but not the 2nd .

As you said you've heard a lot of Dalton talk go check out his 4 year college career stats & all that comes with it , the kid has done nothing but gotten better since day one in every category , that's why he has my vote he's a winner period !!!

Ponder is dumb? The guy got his undergrad degree in 2.5 years while playing Div 1 football and already has

his MBA. That doesn't sound dumb to me.

Why do some people quote back to you something you didn't say to begin with?? C. Ponder probably isn't as intelligent as Trent Edwards is all I implied as he scored lower than the majority of QB's on the wonderlick test they take to measure one's capacity to learn new material. Neverless, You read the same post I wrote and I didn't call anyone stupid or dumb as you put it! I would think most of the College players are either of average smarts or better and some are less intelligent than others, so I'm not really sure how that warranted a response? Clarification? Did you misread my post? Regardless, I hope we don't select C. Ponder in the Bills draft no matter what his level of intelligence or lack therof may be.

Most of my complaint on him was his similarities to Trent Edwards and his tendancy to not be able to sense pocket pressure resulting in him being injured quite often and requiring multiple surgeries. The Ponder experiment quite possibly could mean 2 or 3 years on top of Fitz's upcoming year wasted without the playoffs and in my eyes would likely spell the end of yet another coaching regime in 3 or 4 years! :doh:

The amount of disinformation on Ponder in this thread is laughable.

Ponder does need to get better at the deep ball, but he's hardly got a noodle arm. He's got no problem getting velocity on the ball and throwing mid range passes with a lot of zip. He's probably doesn't have the highest potential/ceiling, but is a low risk QB who might be the most NFL ready at this point in time.

Ponder does need to get better at the deep ball, but he's hardly got a noodle arm. He's got no problem getting velocity on the ball and throwing mid range passes with a lot of zip. He's probably doesn't have the highest potential/ceiling, but is a low risk QB who might be the most NFL ready at this point in time.

I agree - much mis-information here. Ponder has a decent arm, perhaps not the Cam Newton strength, but highly accurate and plenty of zip on intermediate and sideline routes. He is also highly intelligent and schooled in a pro style offense. His arm injury issues may scare teams away, but my guess is he does not last until round 2. Someone will trade up into the bottom of round 1 to grab him. I think he has many less questions than Locker and Mallet for example, and probably fewer questions based on the offensive style he played at Florida State than Kapernack or Dalton. If the Bills go defense number 1, and take Ponder at 34 if he is there, I would be OK with that, but I do not think he will be there.

Looking at the QBs in this draft I only really like Dalton and Kaepernake. Dalton in the 2nd and Kaep in the 3rd, although our picks in those rounds are likely too high for those guys to me. I guess I wouldn’t mind Newton at 3 but too much of a risk, I doubt he “makes it”. I don’t think Ponder has any trait to really drool over. He seems to hesitate on his reads, he definitely doesn’t anticipate anything. I cant see him going that (34th) high. I’m thinking late 3 would be the earliest he goes off the board.

This is not a good QB year, the strength of the class is those mid-round guys that are all kind “meh”

Any time Buddy Nix can make a trade for MORE picks I love it.

Having said that, I still want the Bills to select OLB Miller in Round one and QB Ponder in Rd. two...

They are two quality players that will be leaders for years.... Gailey and Nix are solid judges of talent...

It would not surprise me to see them take both players if they are available...

Just remember... Would you have taken a guy by the name of Jim Kelly with all the injuries he had while at Miami?

It was good scouting that allowed us to select him... Nix and Gailey have had more then a good look at Ponder.

Time will tell....

Great assessment....the guy got his bachelors in 3 years and already wrapped up his masters. He can make every throw on the field. He was injured and kept playing, the guy had a ruptured bursa sac in his THROWING ARM and kept playing. The comparison to Trent is beyond stupid. If anything Ponder is a gambler and loves to fit the ball in and take shots.

[Edited by moderator]

Define deep for me. If it's the 1 or 2 times a game that a QB tosses a 50 yarder then no problem. As long as he's good from 25 yards in you can live with that.

Any QB taken in this draft regardless of where is going to have questions. I'd rather take one(Ponder, Kaepernick, Dalton) in the second or later rather than the huge risk of Gabbert in the first (conceding Newton to Carolina).